Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255520 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#215664 Feb 28, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
All of Ehrman's books presupposes Jesus exists. He leans towards atheism
Atheism isn't something you can lean to. You accept a god claim you don't. If he believes in gods of any type, he's not an atheist. I suspect that he is a theist, but uses words like agnostic because he doesn't accept parts of the bible, or doesn't accept the Christian god.

Who knows? All I can tell you is that he doesn't pass the stink test for dispassionate objectivity in scholarship. Even if he is sincere, he's not credible.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#215665 Feb 28, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a very good comaprison, especially since religion is a different topic than marriage.
You analogy is like me saying.....
"I am Spirit - I was before Moses."
There - I meet all the requirements of your analogy, and I also meet the qualifications to call myself "God".
C'mon RR - move past the words and understadn their meanigs.
I understadn their meanigs just fine.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215666 Feb 28, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:

I tend to redirect the theists who first callus atheist, which is correct, and treat all atheist as if that implied Stalinist or Maoist.
It s pretty frigging dishonest - slanderous/libelous, actually.
Ooohhhhhhhh..... You no likey being compared to Stalin or Mao?

Guess what. I don't like being compared to Duke or Phelps.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215667 Feb 28, 2014
<quoted text>
Most atheists are humanists. The alternatives are things like Stalinist and astrologist.
I tend to redirect the theists who first callus atheist, which is correct, and treat all atheist as if that implied Stalinist or Maoist.
It s pretty frigging dishonest - slanderous/libelous, actually. but not for theists. We see it a lot.
When I see , I tend to want to put Stalinism and Maoism beck into their proper category along with Islam and Christianity - you know, totalitarian ideologies based on faith in, worship of, and submission to a larger than life persona, replete with genocide, characterized by anger and threats - typical autocratic dictatorships - and point out how averse we are to such values. Humanists are the best defense against the Christian church and other institutions and ideologies that not only don't resist genocide, partake of it.
I see. "Most atheists are humanists" except for atheists like Stalin and Mao.

Huh.

You cannot put Stalinism and Maoism back into their "proper" category along with Islam and Christianity because they are opposite categories.

Fennario

#215668 Feb 28, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Hiding another accusation about me in someone else's post again. While running like a sissy from direct debate? What a hypocritical coward.
You're mental.
KiMare wrote:
The article equates the free PERSONAL expression of a core tenant of faith to something being imposed on ALL society. Is it just ignorance or deliberate humanist deceit? Is there a 'rational, moral humanist' I could ask???
Ask your doctor if Zyprexa is right for you.
KiMare wrote:
Both Santorum and Hunkabee decried the shift from Constitutional practice into the recent assertion that a viable unborn child is not a person, or that a mutually sterile, pointlessly duplicate gendered couple equates to marriage. Things that our Founding Fathers would turn over in their graves about.
Have you noticed how many fewer people these days seem to be interested in what Jesus would recommend?
KiMare wrote:
Still not man enough defend your charge of homophobia?
Smile.
Are you sure you want to go there? You have a vagina or something concave.

And with all due respect, your questions don't matter.You're a homophobe. That's all you need to know. Believe it on faith.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215669 Feb 28, 2014
To Christians:
I invite any Christian that thinks otherwise to show the rest of us where the Christian church has ever refused to torture and/or kill in times and places when it could? Are any of you Christians aware of such a time and place where the Christian church had the power to do those things, but tool a moral stand and said, "No!" to genocide when it wasn't benefiting by doing so? There must be a few moral successes among the myriad failures.
Nothing anyone could tell you would change your one track mind.

I could tell you how the Catholic Church spent hundreds of years dedicating people and resources to the then new inception of the hospital. Your profession exists because the Catholic Church invented it.

Christians started the education system. Catholics invented the first modem universities.

Christians pioneered modern Social Work.

Ever hear of the Red Cross? Founded by a Catholic priest.

The Bible has been called "the most influential book in the world", "the most important book in English religion and culture", and "the most celebrated book in the English-speaking world".

Hear of Magna Carta? Christians did that.

What about Martin Luther King? Christian.

Christians invented a way for the blind to read, Braille.

Habitat for Humanity? Christians.

Salvation Army.

Countless missionary doctors around the world and throughout time have sacrificed so much to help strangers, my grandpa was one of them.

Out of the initial 110 universities in the US, 100 had Christian foundations, you probably went to one.

Ever hear of William Wilberforce? Somehow I doubt it.

Now. What the hell has atheism done for mankind?

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#215670 Feb 28, 2014
i came over here to see if there are any hot babes, but all i see are the usual suspects....:-(

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215672 Feb 28, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
i came over here to see if there are any hot babes, but all i see are the usual suspects....:-(
What am I, chopped liver?

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#215673 Feb 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What am I, chopped liver?
Gram pa's stink bait.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#215674 Feb 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh. Christians nationwide are pushing for those laws, huh? Huckabee and Santorum are pushing those laws, huh?
Uh...yes, yes they have.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Tell me, why is it that NONE of those laws have ever been American laws? Why is it that no Christian pushes for those laws to be put in place?
You're dreaming, man. You've built up this big fantasy Christian (the church) in your mind that doesn't exist.
I suppose you haven't heard of the many anti-abortion bills all across the country? And the anti-gay laws, such as the one just passed in Kansas and a similar one just vetoed in Arizona? Just to name to categories, out of many, that Christians have been passing...or trying to pass...as law.

And, yes, Christians have been pressing, and quite hard, for those laws to pass.

You fail, and miserably, on this one.

Fennario

#215675 Feb 28, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
It sounds like you are implying his PH.D.s along with his 30+ years of experience is of little validity to you.
Yeppers. His Ph.D. is in bible studies. Sorry, but if the bible is fiction, and I'm pretty sure it is, that's like a Ph.D.in Pokeman or Harry Potter.

You reject his agnosticism on less. I don't see the basis of your objection beyond faith.
lightbeamrider wrote:
Ehrman is a legitimate scholar with 30+ years of experience.
Then I guess by that argument that you must accept his agnosticism. I know that you wouldn't offer an argument that you wouldn't accept, would you?
lightbeamrider wrote:
Discard his soft atheism not his scholarship.
How about the other way around? How did you decide? Your faith?
lightbeamrider wrote:
If crucifixion is history then so is resurrection.
Is that so? Says what? Your faith? Not good enough for those who place no stock in faith based ideas..

Fennario

#215676 Feb 28, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
I said – shoot yourself in the foot Why do you need to twist my words to make excuses for your own inadequacy? Can you not make it by being truthfull?
He's even less credible with statistics.

Fennario

#215677 Feb 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
"Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins.”
Your god seems like a nice guy.once you get past all of the death and dying stuff.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#215678 Feb 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing anyone could tell you would change your one track mind.
I could tell you how the Catholic Church spent hundreds of years dedicating people and resources to the then new inception of the hospital. Your profession exists because the Catholic Church invented it.
Christians started the education system. Catholics invented the first modem universities.
The Bible has been called "the most influential book in the world", "the most important book in English religion and culture", and "the most celebrated book in the English-speaking world".
Salvation Army.
Countless missionary doctors around the world and throughout time have sacrificed so much to help strangers, my grandpa was one of them.
Out of the initial 110 universities in the US, 100 had Christian foundations, you probably went to one.
Now. What the hell has atheism done for mankind?
"Irish Inquiry Hears How Children Were Systematically Beaten and Abused in Catholic Home for Children"

Among the abuses...

"Humiliating children for bed wetting, forcing them to stand with the sheets on their heads and beating them as punishment.

Forced farm labouring or working in the laundry instead of going to school.

Removal of Christmas presents and other personal items.

Calling children by numbers rather than names.

Leaving youngsters hungry through inadequate food or alternately force feeding.

Some people who contacted the inquiry claimed when they were ill they were forced to eat their own vomit.

Inadequate staffing and supervision and lack of medical attention."

One man testified...

“I remember, when I was about five years old, being constantly beaten by one particular nun, to get me to stop writing with my left hand.”

For more...

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-2...

"Michael McMoran said one nun targeted him for 10 years, hitting him about the head with a brush, mop or tree branch."

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jan/2...

"A former resident of a children's care home in Derry, Northern Ireland, was told he was evil and had been born of a satanic relationship, the largest UK inquiry into institutional child abuse has heard.

The witness said a priest labelled him the product of such a union because his mother was unmarried."

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-...

"I never heard children cry like I have in that place, it was one of despair and that still haunts me a little bit, it was a scream of despair."

So you think having hospitals excuses this behavior?

Fennario

#215679 Feb 28, 2014
Are you complaining that you don't get the respect you deserve?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Not complaining, commenting.
Then you agree? Great. I was concerned.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215680 Feb 28, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
I suppose you haven't heard of the many anti-abortion bills all across the country? And the anti-gay laws, such as the one just passed in Kansas and a similar one just vetoed in Arizona? Just to name to categories, out of many, that Christians have been passing...or trying to pass...as law.
And, yes, Christians have been pressing, and quite hard, for those laws to pass.
You fail, and miserably, on this one.
The old laws that IANS questioned had nothing to do with gays or abortion

Here they are:

1. If a woman is found not to be a virgin on her wedding night,“she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death.”

2.“Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve.

3.“If a man commits adultery with another man's wife—with the wife of his neighbor—both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death.”

4.“Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.”

5.“For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day shall be your holy day, a day of Sabbath rest to the Lord. Whoever does any work on it is to be put to death.”

Now be a good Topix Atheist! and try to pay attention to the discussion.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215681 Feb 28, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
So you think having hospitals excuses this behavior?
I mentioned much more than hospitals:

Salvation Army.

---

Obviously you only read the 1st sentence.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215682 Feb 28, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
"Irish Inquiry Hears How Children Were Systematically Beaten and Abused in Catholic Home for Children"
What Catholic home for children? What's their name? I wanna cross check your story before commenting on it.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215683 Feb 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Not complaining, commenting.
Then you agree? Great. I was concerned.
*thumbs through the Topix Atheist! handbook of debate*

hmmm....

*peruses the Topix Atheist! dictionary*

Yup.

According to Topix Atheists!, "commenting" means "agree".

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#215684 Feb 28, 2014
<quoted text>
You're mental.
<quoted text>
Ask your doctor if Zyprexa is right for you.
<quoted text>
Have you noticed how many fewer people these days seem to be interested in what Jesus would recommend?
<quoted text>
Are you sure you want to go there? You have a vagina or something concave.
And with all due respect, your questions don't matter.You're a homophobe. That's all you need to know. Believe it on faith.
There it is folks ~ The 'rational humanist' who sounds like a bully bigot.

Ss couples are still a defect of mating behavior making ss marriage an oxymoron.

Anal sex is still inherently harmful, unhealthy and demeaning.

Smirk.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 31 min thetruth 35,350
News Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 54 min thetruth 23,871
News How 'new atheists' are just as dangerous as the... 58 min thetruth 140
Reasoning with Insanity 1 hr thetruth 66
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 1 hr thetruth 37
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr thetruth 20,128
Religion is the cause of war and most suffering... 1 hr thetruth 159
More from around the web