Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255511 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#215559 Feb 27, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
We are humanists. Totalitarian states have nothing to do with humanism.
We?!

You are the *only* Humanist here. At least the only person claiming to be one.

Have you ever seen any other poster besides you that says they're a Humanist?

All we've got is a bunch of opinionated, retarded, fact-hating, Christian-hating Topix Atheists! here.

And Blob.

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#215560 Feb 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya sure, check this out:
More than half of your liberal buddies don't know how long it takes for the earth to orbit the sun.
"Liberals Less Likely to Know Earth Revolves Around the Sun than Conservatives"
http://www.frontpagemag.com/2014/dgreenfield/...
"we see that moderates are the dumbest people around, followed by liberals while conservative Republicans are the best informed"
LMMFAOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Hey everybody.

Check out the Redneck's latest source.

Do we laugh, or cry?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215561 Feb 27, 2014
He contributes as much as anyone to the reputation that Christian apologists enjoy. We get a continuous diet of misinformation from such sources, whether due to ignorance, incompetence or dishonesty. Personally, I don't care which it is. Either way, they're worthy of being ignored and disbelieved.
So I *AM* worthy!!

Ok, ok.

I'm pickin up what you're puttin down...

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#215562 Feb 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Sons of God simply means 'mankind' or 'men'.
There are several scriptures where Jesus describes Himself as God.
John 8:
"You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world."
"Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins.”
"before Abraham was born, I am!"
Read this, John 8:
http://mobile.biblegateway.com/passage/...
One could use these same words to express ourselves, if Spirit is a true entity.

Jesus only describes the place he comes from - he never called himself "God", but always referenced his "dad" as "Father".

Why are you trying to mislead others?

Please post the exact passage that has Jesus stating, "I am God".

He never called himself such, yet you do because of men. Why?

Albuquerque, NM

#215563 Feb 27, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>It should be, and possibly will be, clarified that the Panthera legend is not a Tabor "fabrication". While giving an overview of all the possibilities of Jesus' parentage suggested in history, in this case he was merely citing Celsus, an early skeptic of the mythology of Christianity.
From Tabor's blog,
"In my treatment in The Jesus Dynasty I end up saying that if we were to fill out Jesus’“birth certificate” we would most likely have to put under Father,“Unknown.” "
I wonder if they ever pulled DNA from those corpses in that tomb they found.

BTW - I thought the book was a great read and very informative.

Cheers!

Redondo Beach, CA

#215564 Feb 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
We?!
You are the *only* Humanist here. At least the only person claiming to be one.
Have you ever seen any other poster besides you that says they're a Humanist?
All we've got is a bunch of opinionated, retarded, fact-hating, Christian-hating Topix Atheists! here.
And Blob.
I'm a humanist, and so are Hiding, HL, Scar, Double Fine, and I'm sure many others.

BTW, a high school graduate is unlikely to use the word "retarded" to refer to those who disagree with his views.

I say you don't have a high school diploma.

Albuquerque, NM

#215565 Feb 27, 2014
"Corpes" - wrong choice of words. Should have used - Bones - as there are no corpses, unless mummified.

My apologies to all the Walking Dead fans!

:o)

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215566 Feb 27, 2014
I stand by my posts. I don't trust Christians to be honest and competent in matters pertaining to faith. I have had plenty of experience with them.including plenty right here on this thread. You, for example, are both incompetent with statistics and dishonest about your mistakes. KiMare is insane. And most of you can hardly exhale without using the word bigot in any context that doesn't extol Christians.
Uh-huh.... If I say there are more blacks in prison than whites, all of a sudden the claim is made that I hate blacks.

If I call three drug dealing, attacking black kids monkeys, all if a sudden the claim is made that I call all blacks monkeys.

If I say I support the baker's decision on the gay wedding cake, YOU call me a homophobe and intolerant for it.

When I say I agree with Robertson's ideals & family values, YOU call us both bigoted.

When Eagle days he doesn't agree with gay marriage, every Topix Atheist! inhere calls him a homophobe.

Ok...

However, when the Topix Atheist!(you) says something like "Christians can't be trusted with statistics", you get all pissy when the tables are turned and you get called a bigot. And no Topix Atheist! corrects you on it.

When Feltcher1! calls me a wife beater, no Topix Atheist! steps in and corrects him.

You all here are a bunch of bigoted, intolerant assholes hell-bent on pushing your own cause while claiming that every cause not equal to yours is inferior, evil, pushes hate and ultimately hurts mankind.

You're fuckinghilarious.

O__O

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215567 Feb 27, 2014
So that's how you prefer it? Fine.
Christians have a history of institutionalized torture and murder. Humanists do not. Conflating humanism with totalitarian states is what we expect from you. That's what I mean about your values and methods.
O_o

Did I say anything about Humanists?

Here, lemme repeat the post to which you responded:

"RiversideRedneck wrote:
If atheism suppresses Christians and freedom of religion as you desire, you'll likely start executing Christians for the criminal act of having a religion. It's the atheist way, proven by history."

You know what this reminds me of?

RR: What's your favorite food?
IANS: Yes, I like Jeopardy.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215568 Feb 27, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey everybody.
Check out the Redneck's latest source.
Do we laugh, or cry?
Laugh at the source.

The study was conducted by the National Science Foundation.

http://legalinsurrection.com/2014/02/earth-re...

http://newsfeed.time.com/2014/02/16/1-in-4-am...

http://m.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-consp...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/201...

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/imageo/2014...

http://m.phys.org/news/2014-02-americans-unaw...

Laugh it up, you stupid liberal.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215569 Feb 27, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
One could use these same words to express ourselves, if Spirit is a true entity.
Jesus only describes the place he comes from - he never called himself "God", but always referenced his "dad" as "Father".
Why are you trying to mislead others?
Please post the exact passage that has Jesus stating, "I am God".
He never called himself such, yet you do because of men. Why?
Jesus doesn't use those exact words, but He doesn't have to.

"Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins.”
"before Abraham was born, I am!"

A married man can tell you he's married without saying "I'm married". He can say "Meet my wife" or "Today's is our wedding anniversary" or "I'm her husband". No matter which of those he says, you quote clearly understand that he's married.

There are many verses in the Bible where Jesus refers to Himself as God. There are many, many more where other refer to Him as God.

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#215570 Feb 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya sure, check this out:
More than half of your liberal buddies don't know how long it takes for the earth to orbit the sun.
"Liberals Less Likely to Know Earth Revolves Around the Sun than Conservatives"
http://www.frontpagemag.com/2014/dgreenfield/...
"we see that moderates are the dumbest people around, followed by liberals while conservative Republicans are the best informed"
LMMFAOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Is your real name Jethro Bodine?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215571 Feb 27, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:

I'm a humanist, and so are Hiding, HL, Scar, Double Fine, and I'm sure many others.
Ok, now there's two.

You & IANS have referred to yourselves as a Humanist.
BTW, a high school graduate is unlikely to use the word "retarded" to refer to those who disagree with his views.
I say you don't have a high school diploma.
Look, I care what you think.

O__O

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#215572 Feb 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh-huh.... If I say there are more blacks in prison than whites, all of a sudden the claim is made that I hate blacks.
If I call three drug dealing, attacking black kids monkeys, all if a sudden the claim is made that I call all blacks monkeys.
If I say I support the baker's decision on the gay wedding cake, YOU call me a homophobe and intolerant for it.
When I say I agree with Robertson's ideals & family values, YOU call us both bigoted.
When Eagle days he doesn't agree with gay marriage, every Topix Atheist! inhere calls him a homophobe.
Ok...
However, when the Topix Atheist!(you) says something like "Christians can't be trusted with statistics", you get all pissy when the tables are turned and you get called a bigot. And no Topix Atheist! corrects you on it.
When Feltcher1! calls me a wife beater, no Topix Atheist! steps in and corrects him.
You all here are a bunch of bigoted, intolerant assholes hell-bent on pushing your own cause while claiming that every cause not equal to yours is inferior, evil, pushes hate and ultimately hurts mankind.
You're fuckinghilarious.
O__O
Don't be angry, Ar aR. I understand that because you were wrong in your claims and beliefs, you are lashing out, but look for that inner strength.

Maybe you should pray?

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Opal-Hearted Land

#215573 Feb 27, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not a blonde but that's neither here nor there.
The patriarchal zombies get offended by the mere thought of a woman having brains and they positively foam at the mouth in the presence of women who are more intelligent than they are.
Boo frikken hoo.
You're dead right about that one. So I say keep doing what you're doing, rub it in girl!

I know you will.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215574 Feb 27, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't be angry, Ar aR. I understand that because you were wrong in your claims and beliefs, you are lashing out, but look for that inner strength.
Maybe you should pray?
You know how much I love the ad hominem concession speeches.

Well done.

Redondo Beach, CA

#215575 Feb 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok...
You're fuckinghilarious.
O__O
Yeah, you certainly are a victim, aren't you?

You're a victim of your own willful ignorance.

That's the reason for my boo hoos.

Boo hoo, crybaby.

Redondo Beach, CA

#215576 Feb 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, now there's two.
You & IANS have referred to yourselves as a Humanist.
<quoted text>
Look, I care what you think.
O__O
You have turned into a weasely crybaby, dude.

Stand up and be a man.

Stop with the self pity already.

Sheeesh.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#215577 Feb 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus doesn't use those exact words, but He doesn't have to...
He never even came close to claiming to be God.
Christianity simply refuses to accept the proper use of Hebrew idioms.
Example:
Son of Man and Messiah are not claims to be God.

All Christianity does is make shit up and call it facts.

"I and the Father are one."
"There is nothing in these clothes but God"
"I existed since before Abraham"
"I am the son of Man"
"I am the son of God."
- ME 9:37

None of which is even blasphemy in Judaism let alone claims to be God.

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Opal-Hearted Land

#215578 Feb 27, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
And of course our dreariest butt crack is totally wrong, it was/is Thomas Midgely Jnr who is responsible for most motoring related deaths
Many years after he himself died he is still killing thousands of people a day worldwide.
There are only 2 things that can beat him in the killing humans stakes, one is real and one is a myth, I leave it up to you to decide which is which
The mosquito responsible for the highest number of deaths of humans by any animal throughput recorded history, even the marmot cannot compete
And the abrahamic god who killed ever single living thing on this planet except for a small handful of close buddies and about 20 million animals.
After Googling him, I totally agree. Leaded petrol was abandoned years ago here, but I'm sure the environment still suffers...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 12 min Richardfs 35,098
Religion is the cause of war and most suffering... 27 min Thinking 157
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr Thinking 20,097
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr Richardfs 14,940
News How 'new atheists' are just as dangerous as the... 8 hr emperorjohn 139
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 10 hr superwilly 3,710
There are no such things as gods or fairies 18 hr Amused 102
More from around the web