Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Jul 18, 2009, Webbunny tumblelog story titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#215039 Feb 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I already answered this yesterday. I think there's more gun violence in California than any other state because California has the strictest gun laws in the union.
Was it gun violence, gun murders, death by gun, or gun related crime?

Might population have anything to do with it?

It is enough for me to just point out that your conclusion is the conclusion of a faith based thinker.

I personally wouldn't comment with any confidence on the issue without looking at the last 30 years of data. It would take me several days, if the information is easy to find. And my level of conviction in whatever conclusion I came to would likely be less that yours, which you seem to have spent only moments on.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#215040 Feb 25, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Hey I am just quoting the experts. They are the ones who say Jesus was baptized by John and crucified via Pilate. its not my claim it is the claim of the experts. I'm just relaying the info.
<quoted text> They don't disagree on everything. <quoted text> LOL. Try to be original. Its not my fault you are in denial and kinda in the same category as holocaust deniers. Sure some Jews were killed but not 6 million??? That is basically where you are at with Jesus. Sure he existed by lets not get into Pilate or baptism by John. Take a reality break hypno.
Surely you would agree that Christian "historians" may not testify here.

So, give us one, just one, secular historian who goes anywhere near "baptism by John." Just one. The legend of John's baptism of the Christ is purely theological, and has no historical value whatsoever.

Wait a minute - i take that back. I can think of one. I ain't gonna give it to ya right off, rather see if you name him/her.

Because if you do.........>big grin here<........then, well, I'll be impressed, but beyond that, we - you and I - gotta deal with where he/she goes with it.....

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#215041 Feb 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Sex?!
o.O
If you're with a woman, you can't have sex.
Third base isn't "sex".
Sorry...
I`ll bet you that if another man made it to "third base" with your wife you would call it sex. Anytime another person brings you to orgasm, they have had sex. Penetration isn`t everything.

“The future begins”

every moment

#215042 Feb 25, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. there seems to be conflicting views on the literacy rate during the time of Jesus ..
http://www.city-data.com/forum/religion-spiri...
HIP GNOSIS: What say you?
My takeaway from what I've read is that they were remarkably literate, for their time, but severely limited in material. As I recall, it had to do with time spent in synagogue (or Temple, for Judeans) where it was expected that each male member would take part in reading from scripture from Bar Mitzvah on.

Now, that works in Judea, and in the cities, but out in the hinterlands, like Galilee, where many were still semi-nomadic? It stretches the imagination to think they would be, or need to be.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#215043 Feb 25, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
*whispers*
I know RR - and lesbians cannot have "IT".
I figured it out right away....aren't you proud of me?
:o)
* claps hands*

You figured out how to read basic English.

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#215044 Feb 25, 2014
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TUGI0DV...
scaritual wrote:
Why do you make me do this to you? I'm starting to think you're a masochist.
......DATA DATA and more DATA.....
At any rate, I'm not interested in discussing this issue much further than this. I find gun control conversations to be sharply divided and emotion/insult filled.
In my opinion, it raises the ire of people more than discussing religion.
Plus it bores people to...um...death.
At any rate, I don't think RR knows what a "rate" is.

I was going to try to explain some stuff to him the other day, but... it's RR.

I took a class called Probability and Statistics when I was in high school. What I learned, is that one must approach statistics with either great skepticism, or great understanding. Many people think that because you have lots of data, you can say something definitive about causality. You are actually quite limited on what you can conclude, in most cases.

In the US, as most people are today, statistics may as well be stage magic.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#215045 Feb 25, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Paul predates the Gospels
Fail.

Paul never encountered Jesus. Paul's claims are, at best, hearsay. You don't understand this evidence thing very well, do you?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215046 Feb 25, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. that brings me back to my original question ..
.. did President Clinton have sex with that woman ??..
The quote was "sexual relations", not "sex".

If all there was was oral, then no they didn't have sex.

A BJ isn't sex.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215047 Feb 25, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:

I`ll bet you that if another man made it to "third base" with your wife you would call it sex. Anytime another person brings you to orgasm, they have had sex. Penetration isn`t everything.
No, I would not. I would call it third base. Still cheating, still atrocious, still wrong, still worthy of divorce, but not sex.

Lol, what? If you jerk me off that means we've had sex?!

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#215048 Feb 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Two women can't have sex.
All you can do is "be sexual".
Third base isn't sex.
Just sayin...
"Sex" is the greater category.

If you want to be technically correct, you have to drop the lay speak.

Neither of two women have a penis, and all that that entails.

Did anybody not know? Are you trying to say something more than the obvious?

If you're not trying to sneak in some bigotry, you're just stating the obvious like an idiot.

Will you allow us to form our own conclusions?

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#215049 Feb 25, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
CORNELIUS TACITUS (55 - 120 A.D.)
"A more serious problem is that no one in the second century ever quoted this passage of Tacitus, and in fact it appears almost word-for-word in the writings in someone else, Sulpicius Severus, in the fourth century, where it is mixed in with other myths. "

--Rational Wiki

There is no evidence for over 200 years after Tacitus wrote his piece that the passage in question first appears in the historical record. Worse, it appears in the work of another writer, not in a work of Tacitus.

It is quite possible that this was added to the works of Tacitus by later copiers...a practice that is known to have been very common (cf. Josephus).

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215050 Feb 25, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
A rate is a measurement, a quantity OR a frequency.

To say "California has the highest murder rate by firearm than any or state" is a 100% thing to say.

To say "Washington, DC has the highest murder rate per capita by firearm" is another true sentence.

“The future begins”

every moment

#215051 Feb 25, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
The entire discussion around the Jesus is really tempered by this: It's pretty obvious the character didn't make a very big impression on people since we can't find anything written about about him until 50-100 years after the alleged life of the Jesus!, and much of what is said to have been written about the character is sketchy and in many instances, highly suspect or hearsay accounts.
Much of what is thought to be written of the character is similar to written accounts of Elvis sightings after Elvis Presley died, the difference being, we actually know Elvis lived.
I would suggest that it wouldn;t be that unusual for this itinerant preacher to have little written about him in his time. We tend to conflate the area of his ministry with Judea, while in fact he spent little tile there (reportedly). Virtually his entire ministry was spent in Galilee and knocking around the Decapolis, well to the north and east of Jerusalem. More than that, by all accounts, he enjoyed the most popularity amongst rural people, which is another reason he likely would have little recorded.

I hope not to have to include a disclaimer in every post on the subject, but, once more, I have no "faith" in any of the legend surrounding the Christ figure. But a charismatic, itinerant preacher and social gadfly most popular amongst "the reg'lar folks" and very unpopular among the wealthy and religious elite? Why not?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215052 Feb 25, 2014
CORRECTION.

"is a 100% thing to say" should read "is a 100% true thing to say"
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#215053 Feb 25, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Historicity of Jesus is established..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_J...
Virtually all modern scholars of antiquity agree that Jesus existed, and most biblical scholars and classical historians see the theories of his non-existence as effectively refuted.[1][2][3][8][9][10] In antiquity, the existence of Jesus was never denied by those who opposed Christianity....[24] According to New Testament scholar James Dunn, nearly all modern scholars consider the baptism of Jesus and his crucifixion to be historically certain.[5][42] He states that these "two facts in the life of Jesus command almost universal assent" and "rank so high on the 'almost impossible to doubt or deny' scale of historical facts" that they are often the starting points for the study of the historical Jesus... Bart D. Ehrman states that the existence of Jesus and his crucifixion by the Romans is attested to by a wide range of sources, including Josephus and Tacitus.[36]
----------
Ehrman puts people like you in the same category as holocaust deniers.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bart-d-ehrman/d...
share this story
Submit this story
In a society in which people still claim the Holocaust did not happen, and in which there are resounding claims that the American president is, in fact, a Muslim born on foreign soil, is it any surprise to learn that the greatest figure in the history of Western civilization, the man on whom the most powerful and influential social, political, economic, cultural and religious institution in the world -- the Christian church -- was built, the man worshipped, literally, by billions of people today -- is it any surprise to hear that Jesus never even existed?
That is the claim made by a small but growing cadre of (published ) writers, bloggers and Internet junkies who call themselves mythicists. This unusually vociferous group of nay-sayers maintains that Jesus is a myth invented for nefarious (or altruistic) purposes by the early Christians who modeled their savior along the lines of pagan divine men who, it is alleged, were also born of a virgin on Dec. 25, who also did miracles, who also died as an atonement for sin and were then raised from the dead.
----------
Stop your denial of reality. It makes you look foolish. Even with folks in your own camp.
wrong again wanna be expert. A quick research found no less that 97 scholars who highly doubt the existence of Jesus, so you proclaiming that "virtually ALL" modern scholars of antiquity agree on Jesus's existence is false. Here's a partial list of those who DONOT agree on the existence of Jesus:

1.) Michael Kolopoulos 1995

2.) Gerd Ludemann 1998 (25 years of study pointed to Paul, not Jesus who started Christianity)

3.) Valvar Ellegard 1999

4.) Earl Doherty 1999

5.) Harold Liedner 2000

6.) Jay Raskin 2006

7.) Thomas Thompson 2006

8.) Jan Irvin & Andrew Rutajit 2006

9.) Rosen Viklund 2008

10.) Richard Carrier 2012

11.) Raphael Lataster 2013

I'll supply the titles of their books and research papers if you like.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#215054 Feb 25, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
I have heard haiku defined as 3 lines with a total of 17 syllables. I prefer the stricter definition of 5-7-5 syllables. It looks like you do as well.
When I fall down stairs,
I descend into darkness,
lightheaded I rise.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215055 Feb 25, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
"Sex" is the greater category.
If you want to be technically correct, you have to drop the lay speak.
Neither of two women have a penis, and all that that entails.
Did anybody not know? Are you trying to say something more than the obvious?
If you're not trying to sneak in some bigotry, you're just stating the obvious like an idiot.
Will you allow us to form our own conclusions?
I just find it amusing when a lesbian says she had sex with a woman.

Although two women can be sexual with each other, they can't have sex.

Oral and finger play isn't sex.

“The future begins”

every moment

#215056 Feb 25, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I 'demanded' no such thing. I asked It Ain't to provide a historical example of a country that removed religion as she was suggesting.
Here is a brief history of failure;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_atheism
It is why you girls are in a flurry of confusion, lying and denial.
God help you if you are the best 'rational atheists' around!
Smile.
How quickly and easily you can be made to reveal your cowering insecurity >grin here< One is reminded of a incessantly yipping lapdog.

I said "desired". Your defensive paranoia turned it into "demanded".

How quickly and easily your barking becomes pitiful and grating as well.......you go lay down now and hush.

>nudge<

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#215057 Feb 25, 2014
KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
if you silence the free expression of religion, you violate the First Amendment .. Snicker.
<quoted text>
Do you understand the idiocy and hypocrisy of that response?
Go ahead and assume no one understands.

You explain it.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#215058 Feb 25, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
http://www.topix.com/forum/top stories/TUGI0DVLLAKD7M2HN/post 214874
<quoted text>
I was going to try to explain some stuff to him the other day, but... it's RR.
I took a class called Probability and Statistics when I was in high school. What I learned, is that one must approach statistics with either great skepticism, or great understanding. Many people think that because you have lots of data, you can say something definitive about causality. You are actually quite limited on what you can conclude, in most cases.
In the US, as most people are today, statistics may as well be stage magic.
Yeah.

You know I pointed out from the onset what I was speaking of, and my words were:

"most murder per capita, by firearm"

I did that for a reason, and the reason was that to just make the blatant claim that(paraphrased) "California has the most murders by guns and that's because of restrictive gun laws" is a highly inaccurate and unsupported by data, statement.

Of course, Ar aR had to dispute what was stated that I did support with data to back the statement, and stuck by what he had faith in.

As always, faith proves to be a very faulty way of making conclusions or decisions about a subject.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 2 hr thetruth 9,308
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 2 hr thetruth 2,059
News Confessions of a black atheist 2 hr thetruth 380
The Ultimate Evidence of God (Mar '14) 2 hr thetruth 165
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 3 hr thetruth 7,406
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 3 hr James 14,604
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 3 hr thetruth 6,102
More from around the web