Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255504 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#215231 Feb 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Ignore the facts because Christians wrote them..
Christians aren't into facts. Christians are into faith, which is altogether different.

When I want faith based opinions, I'll go to Christian web sites like the one you linked to for them.

Who's fooling who here? You've got nothing but fluff from people that are honesty-challenged. Nobody with any familiarity with Christian apologetics seems to want to see any more of it. That kind of thing is for people willing to believe on faith, and looking for anything that seems to support their faith based preferences.

Like any evidence based thinker, I require something radically different, so why keep wheeling that fluff in when you already know that it is only acceptable to faith based thinkers.

Fennario

#215232 Feb 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Did you notice that IANS said "Christians shouldn't be trusted with statistics"? Of course you didn't. Don't wanna cry ad hominem or bigot on your own kind, eh?
Were you (plural) looking for respect? Don't bother. You badly mangled statistics twice recently, and your peers misuse them deliberately. Experience and reputation matter.

When you learn to think properly, you will get the respect you deserve. Until then, be satisfied with courtesy. And if you're going to demand respect, you'll get sarcasm.

Fennario

#215233 Feb 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Humanists can't be trusted with statistics.
Sorry, amigo, but there is no symmetry here. Faith based thinking and a general disrespect for scholarship and the values of academia render your conclusions as useless to an evidence based thinker and ours are to a faith based thinker. Don't pretend that your stuff is valid outside of church. It's not. That's just how it is.

I would drop this recent campaign of yours seeking parity in the discussion. You're not going to get anything that you like with it.

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#215234 Feb 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Follicly challenged does not mean "no hair", as Aero lied about.
Minor detail, pedant.

The real question is whether god touched you on the bald spot.

Or did he brush against your remanining follicles?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#215235 Feb 26, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus your own dickhead. I just showered.
BTW, you misspelled "illiterate" and several other words below.
<quoted text>
Why would I care about that?
<quoted text>
You don't seem to know much about history.
<quoted text>
Why? Tell me everything you know about evidence, reason, and sound conclusions.
<quoted text>
Your holy spirit seems to have deserted you again. Try to relax. It's only going to get tougher for faith based thinkers over the next several years. You'll want to pace yourself lest you develop a hemorrhagic ulcer.
Can one have "faith" and his thinking not be "faith-based"?

I would say yes.

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#215236 Feb 26, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> Are we talking about time?

It means that in California in 2010, each individual of the total population had a .000034% chance of being murdered by a gun, and if you lived in Louisiana in 2010 each individual of the total population had a .000077% chance of being murdered by a gun.
What is the higher percentage number, or must I show you that, too?
It means that in California in 2010 the odds were

1 in 29,637 you would be murdered by gun.

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#215237 Feb 26, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Can one have "faith" and his thinking not be "faith-based"?
I would say yes.
Hope without faith is possible.

Location hidden

#215238 Feb 26, 2014
<quoted text>
Christians aren't into facts. Christians are into faith, which is altogether different.
When I want faith based opinions, I'll go to Christian web sites like the one you linked to for them.
Who's fooling who here? You've got nothing but fluff from people that are honesty-challenged. Nobody with any familiarity with Christian apologetics seems to want to see any more of it. That kind of thing is for people willing to believe on faith, and looking for anything that seems to support their faith based preferences.
Like any evidence based thinker, I require something radically different, so why keep wheeling that fluff in when you already know that it is only acceptable to faith based thinkers.
I know Christians who are evidence-based thinkers.

I know atheists and humanists who are NOT evidence-based thinkers.

I know atheists who are not thinkers...period.(Darwin's StepStool; BlueBaboon; Snarl 44; Blob...)

My observations on the quality of thinking people possess suggests their faith system has little to do with it. Analytics and logic are grasped well by some minds; not so well by others.

It usually takes me about two sentences to know which side a person falls on.

You are analytical, linear, and logica in your thought processl. That's why you became a doctor. You stray someitmes, but luckily, you have me here to snap you back in line.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#215239 Feb 26, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Only a F*^king tard could think
Your Hands-on Guide to Solo Sex
Is saying that.
Your link says that.

""Masturbation prepares you for great sex"

Own it. Masturbation is not sex.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215240 Feb 26, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> Are we talking about time?
I've come to the opinion when people supply only a portion of a definition, it's disingenuous. You left the rest of the definition out because it most likely will not support what you want to claim. The 4th definition applied in this instance.
Noun: rate
1. A magnitude or frequency relative to a time unit
2. Amount of a charge or payment relative to some basis
3. The relative speed of progress or change
<>4. A quantity or amount or measure considered as a proportion of another quantity or amount or measure
Verb: rate
1. Assign a rank or rating to
2. Be worthy of or have a certain rating
3. Evalulate how important or likely something is
WordWeb Pro 7.02
But lets see what you have to say...
<quoted text>I haven't said or pretended that, and the rate is the same, based upon the total population. It doesn't have to be "per capita". Per capita rates, just happen to make it simpler to deal with the numbers involved.
Read carefully.
Louisiana has less restrictive gun laws than California. That is an established fact.
Read carefully.
Everything that follows will be based on total gun murders for each state and total populations for each state in the year 2010.
More of the total human population of Louisiana are killed by guns, than the total human population of California are killed by guns. That is an established fact.
Read this carefully, too.
If I take 1,257(total gun murders in California) and divide that by 37,253,956(total population of California) the result is 3.374138... hold on. Lets round the numbers, So, 3.4(rounded result).
If I take 351(total gun murders in Louisiana) and divide that by 4,533,372(total population of Louisiana) the result is 7.7(rounded result).
So, we have the numbers 3.4(rounded result from California) and 7.7(rounded result from Louisiana).
What does the above, mean?
It means that in California in 2010, each individual of the total population had a .000034% chance of being murdered by a gun, and if you lived in Louisiana in 2010 each individual of the total population had a .000077% chance of being murdered by a gun.
What is the higher percentage number, or must I show you that, too?
I've already explained to you that I am referring to the total number of people murdered by a firearm per state per year.

Total number of people murdered by a firearm per state per year.

You are talking per capita, I am talking overall.

Capisce?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215241 Feb 26, 2014
OG Kush wrote:
It's a great profession.
The simplicity is extraordinary
Use a vivid imagination - build a building call it magical or holy - ask people to come into it and then let your dreams of immortality Runamuck
Ask for money they will give it
Sell them a dream they will buy it
The best part this - The money you get from the gullible is completely is tax-free
In the end it's all about superstition.
I equate the tooth fairy Zeus Jesus Mohammed and Krishna as equal members in the great family of mythical Gods.
"When engaged in discussion with an eminent theologian. "What inference," asked the theologian, "might one draw about the nature of God from a study of his works?" biochemist John Haldane replied: "An inordinate fondness for beetles." ~John Burdon Sanderson Haldane
OG Kush wrote:
I equate the tooth fairy Zeus Jesus Mohammed and Krishna as equal members in the great family of mythical Gods.
Then you have an extremely closed mind.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#215242 Feb 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Your link says that.
""Masturbation prepares you for great sex"
You giving hand jobs to your coworkers doesn't make you gay ?

ROFLMAO

Location hidden

#215243 Feb 26, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
I am glad your wife told you about me.
Yeah. She called you "Pencil-Dick".

“"None shall pass"”

There

#215244 Feb 26, 2014
<quoted text>
Were you (plural) looking for respect? Don't bother. You badly mangled statistics twice recently, and your peers misuse them deliberately. Experience and reputation matter.
When you learn to think properly, you will get the respect you deserve. Until then, be satisfied with courtesy. And if you're going to demand respect, you'll get sarcasm.
Their own Paul called them a brood of vipers.

Christians do not realize that Jesus and Paul were bashing fellow believers. Neither gave a crap about outsiders. IN FACT Jesus often praised outsiders as MORE FAITHFUL than his own followers.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#215245 Feb 26, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. She called you "Pencil-Dick".
She called you a eunuch.

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#215246 Feb 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Make up your mind, is it a sexual act or is it sex?
You said: "Masturbation is a sexual act, sure it's selfish sexual act, but it is sex."
"it is sex"
Do you know the difference between a sexual act and sex?
Dude, don't get so worked up because people can have sex without a man involved. That's where this discussion started, right? You don't like it when women say they can have sex with each other.

Here's the deal. Not everybody is so misogynistic and/or sexually repressed that they think the male/female missionary position is the definition of sex.

How's Mrs. Neck doing? Good I hope.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215247 Feb 26, 2014
<quoted text>
Yes.... "Radically different" to you apparently means "non Christian".

What do you think? You think I balance my checkbook based on faith? Only get gas in my car based on faith? Have faith that God will teach me how to stucco rather than learn it for myself?

I don't know what Christians you're used to, but I go by evidence and by faith, not just faith alone, especially when it comes to learning something new.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215248 Feb 26, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Minor detail, pedant.
The real question is whether god touched you on the bald spot.
Or did he brush against your remanining follicles?
This is funny coming from the Topix Atheist! Spelling Police Chief.....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215249 Feb 26, 2014
<quoted text>
Sorry, amigo, but there is no symmetry here. Faith based thinking and a general disrespect for scholarship and the values of academia render your conclusions as useless to an evidence based thinker and ours are to a faith based thinker. Don't pretend that your stuff is valid outside of church. It's not. That's just how it is.
I would drop this recent campaign of yours seeking parity in the discussion. You're not going to get anything that you like with it.
Sure there's symmetry.

"Christians can't be trusted with statistics" is equally as intolerant and bigoted a statement as "Humanists can't be trusted with statistics".

The big difference is that you were serious while I was merely mocking your bigotry.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215250 Feb 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Your link says that.
"Masturbation prepares you for great sex"
BenAdam wrote:
You giving hand jobs to your coworkers doesn't make you gay ?
ROFLMAO
What "University" taught you that masturbation means giving someone other than yourself a hand job?

You should get a refund, purfesir.

Get up off the floor, you're embarrassing the other atheists here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 min Chimney1 34,819
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 20 min thetruth 20,056
Religion is the cause of war and most suffering... 23 min Reason Personified 140
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 23 min thetruth 14,916
Reasoning with Insanity 25 min thetruth 64
News Are There Atheists in the Foxholes? 37 min Reason Personified 61
News Millionaire Entrepreneur Wants to 'Make Atheism... 3 hr thetruth 397
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 4 hr Thinking 4,482
News How 'new atheists' are just as dangerous as the... 5 hr emperorjohn 133
News Your atheism isn&#x27;t going to keep your... (Apr '14) 6 hr emperorjohn 189
More from around the web