Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255235 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#215202 Feb 26, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes masturbation is a solo sexual act.
If you doubt that try doing it in front of the CHP head quarters,
and see what they charge you with.
Dry humping? Have you been humping someones leg again? lol
Make up your mind, is it a sexual act or is it sex?

You said: "Masturbation is a sexual act, sure it's selfish sexual act, but it is sex."

"it is sex"

Do you know the difference between a sexual act and sex?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215203 Feb 26, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
I AM one of those you moron. I am a university trained historian and anthropologist.
You don't even have a real high school education and admitted you were too lazy and stupid to go to college.
HA HA!!

Sure you are, perfesir.

I see you aren't capitalizing "university" like you used to.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215204 Feb 26, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
You may have some hair.
But you told us you're "follicly challenged."
Remember?
Peebob and Fountain and Hiding laughed like hyenas.
Follicly challenged does not mean "no hair", as Aero lied about.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#215205 Feb 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Now masturbation is sex?!?
I suppose you think dry humping is sex, too.
And lap dances are sex.
.. the dog humping your leg doesn't care what you call it ..

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#215206 Feb 26, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
Jesus you historically iilliterate dickhead.
Jesus your own dickhead. I just showered.

BTW, you misspelled "illiterate" and several other words below.
lightbeamrider wrote:
You know nothing about historical method and once again ignore the writings of Paul which is distinct from the Gospels.
Why would I care about that?
lightbeamrider wrote:
Once again ignore you have no precedent from ancient history for any of your Jesus mytdh assumptions.
You don't seem to know much about history.
lightbeamrider wrote:
Take aboaut 10 seconds and tell us all you know about historical method.
Why? Tell me everything you know about evidence, reason, and sound conclusions.
lightbeamrider wrote:
You make the standards impossible and then say see they can't prove anything. Your not interested in proof in the first place! Nor are you interested in the truth of the matter. Nothing but a con job from half wits.
Your holy spirit seems to have deserted you again. Try to relax. It's only going to get tougher for faith based thinkers over the next several years. You'll want to pace yourself lest you develop a hemorrhagic ulcer.

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#215207 Feb 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Make up your mind, is it a sexual act or is it sex?
You said: "Masturbation is a sexual act, sure it's selfish sexual act, but it is sex."
"it is sex"
Do you know the difference between a sexual act and sex?
Holler's in Arr Arr's ear ...Is there anybody in there?

Hears echo...

Istheretherethere anybodyanybody intheretheretherethere? there?

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love/tips-mov...

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#215208 Feb 26, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>I would suggest that it wouldn;t be that unusual for this itinerant preacher to have little written about him in his time. We tend to conflate the area of his ministry with Judea, while in fact he spent little tile there (reportedly). Virtually his entire ministry was spent in Galilee and knocking around the Decapolis, well to the north and east of Jerusalem. More than that, by all accounts, he enjoyed the most popularity amongst rural people, which is another reason he likely would have little recorded.
I hope not to have to include a disclaimer in every post on the subject, but, once more, I have no "faith" in any of the legend surrounding the Christ figure. But a charismatic, itinerant preacher and social gadfly most popular amongst "the reg'lar folks" and very unpopular among the wealthy and religious elite? Why not?
Yeah, and I can imagine(with your disclaimer in mind), that as the story was circulated among that rural population, it would certainly grow over the years, in the "powers" attributed to the character by embellishment. I can also imagine that the story might or would eventually spread to a wider portion of the population.

There's an article I read in which the historian postulated there may have very well been a Heracles in the very distant past. An entirely human person that actually lived, and based upon some actual feats or events(strength, heroism etc...) in his life, that as time passed, were embellished over the years(centuries perhaps) and that person began to take on the mantle of the supernatural, and became a god, or godlike as the story grew, becoming myth, eventually.

I have no doubt that this will be the eventual fate of the Jesus! story too.

We just happen to still have believers in the myth still believing the myth represents reality right now.

Fennario

#215209 Feb 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I'm referring to the quantity of murders by firearm per year.
Then you're discussing something irrelevant to your argument.

Incidentally, we have extremely restrictive gun laws at my house - none are allowed. And we outperformed both California and Louisiana for murders. We had no murders by firearms here. Does that prove that restrictive gun laws reduce gun deaths? If you say no, then like lightbeamrider, you offer arguments that you wouldn't accept.

Fennario

#215210 Feb 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You said Catcher contributes and implied that I don't.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
I doubt it.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You doubt what?
Your claim that I said that.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
No, I didn't support Obamacare and I still don't support Obamacare.
Not what I asked.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Yes it is. You call it universal coverage, I call it Obamacare.
Then you're wrong.

Fennario

#215211 Feb 26, 2014
KiMare wrote:
The Church cannot impose its values.
It can and does. That is because it is respected by a majority, which it influences.
KiMare wrote:
The only way you can disempower it is to restrict the free exercise and speech the Constitution guarantees.
Nope. I have a legal and democratic method in mind.
KiMare wrote:
You could end this discussion by simply showing the fruit of atheism.
You can't. Smirk.
That's correct. There is no fruit of atheism.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#215212 Feb 26, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
The Church cannot impose its values. The only way you can disempower it is to restrict the free exercise and speech the Constitution guarantees.
You are back pedaling on the history of depravity and destitution atheism breeds.
You could end this discussion by simply showing the fruit of atheism.
You can't.
Smirk.
Go see Post about 215140, a coupla pages back.

See if you're being repressed.

Fennario

#215213 Feb 26, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Now you admit you knew more than you were letting on. Yet you still are determined to present a selected/censored portion of a medical article that refutes your position.
My position is that there is no magic coming from the sky because of prayer. What part of your link refutes it?
KiMare wrote:
But here is the corker: you didnt argue that prayer had NO effect, you argued that prayer had a negative affect.
My position is that there is no magic coming from the sky, not that there are no psychological effects of prayer or meditation.
KiMare wrote:
... you argued that prayer had a negative affect.On People who were unaware they were being prayed for!!! Smirk.
Read it again, Aristotle. You're not prepared for this discussion. You don't seem to have the reading comprehension necessary let alone the necessary background and the habits of thought.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#215214 Feb 26, 2014
<quoted text>
Lightbeamrider is happy to offer arguments that he wouldn't accept himself. He would like you to accept the historicity of Jesus because Tacitus mentions Jesus, which LBR hopes will persuade you to accept that he must have existed, but such mentions have no persuasive power to him whatsoever if they mention other gods.
Such is the corrupting influence of faith on intellectual integrity.
Yeah, I agree with the above, and lets be realistic, in lightbeanriders mind, trying to establish the character as a literal figure in history, establishes that character as a god, too. That's the hidden implication, as I notice he continually throws in the "crucifixion" which has all sorts of religious implication or baggage attached. It's a subtle tactic, but a tactic nonetheless and that originates in the "faith based reasoning", too.

Faith based reasoning isn't reasoning at all, and lacks any integrity whatsoever, since by its very nature, it isn't subject to logic or reason, and does not require knowledge, because faith fills in the gaps where there is no logic, reason or knowledge.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215215 Feb 26, 2014
OG Kush wrote:
<quoted text>
The jokes represent five of the major professional superstition organizations on the planet.
Atheism is not a religion.
It is a nonreligious viewpoint shared by perhaps 16-20% of the planet according to some sources.
1.1 billion enlightened Homo sapiens ignoring professional organized superstition.
http://www.adherents.com
Excerpt...
Major Religions of the World
Ranked by Number of Adherents
(Sizes shown are approximate estimates, and are here mainly for the purpose of ordering the groups, not providing a definitive number. This list is sociological/statistical in perspective.)
Christianity: 2.1 billion
Islam: 1.5 billion
Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/ Atheist: 1.1 billion
Hinduism: 900 million
Chinese traditional religion: 394 million
Buddhism: 376 million
primal-indigenous: 300 million
African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million
Sikhism: 23 million
Juche: 19 million
Thanks for the atheist jokes got anymore or a link to where I can find them?
“He who will not reason, is a bigot; He who cannot, is a fool;
And he who dares not, is a slave.”~William Drummond
Lol

"professional superstition organizations"

That's a new Topix Atheist! way to put it.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215216 Feb 26, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
*slaps knee*

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#215217 Feb 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
HA HA!!
Sure you are, perfesir.
I see you aren't capitalizing "university" like you used to.
You have an understanding of capital letter!. That proves you graduated kindergarten.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215218 Feb 26, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Holler's in Arr Arr's ear ...Is there anybody in there?
Hears echo...
Istheretherethere anybodyanybody intheretheretherethere? there?
http://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love/tips-mov...
Thank you for your unwitting help.

Even that woman knows that masturbation isn't sex.

"Masturbation prepares you for great sex, since you learn what you like and can teach a partner"
You say masturbation is sex, if that was the case she would've worded it "sex prepares you for great sex..."

She didn't.

Wonder why?

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#215219 Feb 26, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
RR giving BJs to his coworkers doesn't make him gay because it isn't sex.

roflmao

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215220 Feb 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I'm referring to the quantity of murders by firearm per year.

Then you're discussing something irrelevant to your argument.
Negative. My argument is that California has the highest murder rate by firearm (per year for the intellectually challenged, not per capita).
Incidentally, we have extremely restrictive gun laws at my house - none are allowed. And we outperformed both California and Louisiana for murders. We had no murders by firearms here. Does that prove that restrictive gun laws reduce gun deaths? If you say no, then like lightbeamrider, you offer arguments that you wouldn't accept.
Well my house has extremely loose gun laws and there's never been any kind of incident. We also outperformed California and Louisiana.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#215221 Feb 26, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
You have an understanding of capital letter!. That proves you graduated kindergarten.
You used to write "I am University educated" until I pointed out to you that 'university' isn't a proper noun and shouldn't be capitalized like that.

So this kindergarten graduate taught you something.

You're welcome, purfesir.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 24 min Chimney1 31,020
Majority of Scots now have no religion 1 hr Thinking 5
News How God Messed Up My Happy Atheist Life 1 hr Thinking 20
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 1 hr Thinking 9,717
News Your atheism isn&#x27;t going to keep your... (Apr '14) 1 hr Thinking 13
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 1 hr Thinking 4,342
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr Thinking 13,171
More from around the web