Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#214990 Feb 25, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Look up any "murder rate" statistic. It is given as "murders per capita"...not "murders per time".
Doofus.
I don't care how something is listed. I was telling you what something is.

If murders per capita over a given time is listed, it is a per capita murder rate.

If you give numbers of murders over a given time, it is a murder rate.

If you give murders per capita, with no time specified, it is a murder rate, as murders relate to population, but it makes no sense.

Location hidden

#214991 Feb 25, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
The experts say there is little evidence that either John or Jesus existed.
You are confusing scholars with preachers.
Your tattoo artist is not an expert.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#214992 Feb 25, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
Indeed, yes.
And we *do* have quite a bit of historical documentation from that age.
It lists all sorts of trivial things, including olive oil sales in Palestine.
But none of it mentions this "Jesus" character.
For a supposedly charismatic man, who was the basis for a religion?
That is strikingly odd.
You sure do talk a lot about what you call a nonexistent character of mythology.

Obsessed much?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#214993 Feb 25, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
The experts say there is little evidence that either John or Jesus existed.
What experts might those be?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#214994 Feb 25, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
Your tattoo artist is not an expert.
Maybe he heard it from the barista at his local coffee shop....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#214995 Feb 25, 2014
We have records of lots and lots of stuff from that time-frame, including olive oil sales.
lol

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#214996 Feb 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Historians and archaeologists to begin with.

You know, those people whom you will never be as intelligent as.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#214997 Feb 25, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a common misconception. Most Jews of the time were very literate in Hebrew, both writing and reading. in fact, it was considered a sin not to teach your children to read and write.
Many of the merchant class throughout the Roman Empire would have been literate in Greek and/or Latin as well as their native language.
.. there seems to be conflicting views on the literacy rate during the time of Jesus ..

http://www.city-data.com/forum/religion-spiri...

HIP GNOSIS: What say you?

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#214998 Feb 25, 2014
<quoted text>
Where you set of assumptions breaks down is this:
We **do** have historical record-keeping from that time-frame.
The Romans, again, who had conquered the area.
We have records of lots and lots of stuff from that time-frame, including olive oil sales.
But we have **nothing** about this Jesus character. Not one word.
Not even the bible dates to this time period-- all the new testament biblical records **start** at 2 generations removed, and most are 3 or 5 generations removed.
If this Jesus was charismatic enough to be the basis for a religion?
SOMEONE in that time would have noted it.
No one did.
No Jewish historians (of which we have some documents), no Roman ones either.
That is the most damning thing of all-- the sheer **lack** of **anything**.
The logical conclusion, is that Jesus is a chimera of legend, folk tales and superstitions, cobbled together by Constantine, in 300ACE.
.. perhaps there are records on olive oil sales because it was a major economic product ??..

.. I'm sorry Bob, it still doesn't make sense to me. The Romans did not record the crucifixion of every thief or heretic, it wasn't important to them ..

.. now, cobbling gospels together that refer to a resurrection and ascension is possible ..

.. twas an interesting debate! Thanks ..

Location hidden

#214999 Feb 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
He uses the experts at Jiffy Lube.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#215000 Feb 25, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. there seems to be conflicting views on the literacy rate during the time of Jesus ..
http://www.city-data.com/forum/religion-spiri...
HIP GNOSIS: What say you?
That is the nature of science. LOL

Unfortunately little of ancient materials survive. However, recent excavations at Hadrians wall uncovered many messages on wood "note pads" from common soldiers stationed there in the first to second centuries demonstrating that literacy was quite common.

There is NO evidence of widespread illiteracy. it is merely an assumption that illiteracy was wide spread.

Location hidden

#215001 Feb 25, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Historians and archaeologists to begin with.
You know, those people whom you will never be as intelligent as.
I didn't hear them say anything.

All I saw was more of your stupid crap.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#215002 Feb 25, 2014

So you do think praying is useful?(and therefore, you are quite insane)
Or you do **not** think praying is useful?
And therefore-- you are **still** insane, because you believe in the christian god, who seemingly demands your constant prayers...
I pity you in your insanity.
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, Bobby, scientific studies have shown prayer is useful...
You are REALLY embarrassing your friends now...
Snicker.
Please post your citation or link to this "scientific studies". ANd since you stated it in plural form, please provide multiple links to multiple studies.

I'll wait.

Thanks!

Albuquerque, NM

#215003 Feb 25, 2014
BenAdam wrote:

THE GRAIN OFFERING IS IN TH FORM OF 'BISCUITS' OR 'FLATBREADS'.
<quoted text>
He's a True Believer™, so it could be either one...
If I add bacon, egg and cheese to either, is is still a grain offering?

:o)

Either way - I'm "offering" it to my stomach!!
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#215004 Feb 25, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
That is the nature of science. LOL
Unfortunately little of ancient materials survive. However, recent excavations at Hadrians wall uncovered many messages on wood "note pads" from common soldiers stationed there in the first to second centuries demonstrating that literacy was quite common.
There is NO evidence of widespread illiteracy. it is merely an assumption that illiteracy was wide spread.
That begs the question of whether rudimentary literacy was required to become a soldier, or did they receive basic education once they joined the ranks?

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#215005 Feb 25, 2014
Even AA is becoming less religious...

The boom in nonreligious A.A. represents another manifestation of a more visible and confident humanist movement in the United States, one that has featured public figures such as Bill Maher, Sam Harris and the late Christopher Hitchens. Yet this recent trend within A.A. also marks a departure from the organization’s traditional emphasis on religion.

End quote

--New York Times

Albuquerque, NM

#215006 Feb 25, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
That's quotable. I've saved it.
Here are some other recent additions to my quote collection for those interested in such things:
“What would you do if there were no God? Would you commit robbery, rape, and murder, or would you continue being a good and moral person? Either way the question is a debate stopper. If the answer is that you would soon turn to robbery, rape, or murder, then this is a moral indictment of your character, indicating you are not to be trusted because if, for any reason, you were to turn away from your belief in God, your true immoral nature would emerge … If the answer is that you would continue being good and moral, then apparently you can be good without God.”- Michael Shermer
“It makes no difference that your opinion comes from the Bible. The choice to believe it, to accept it, and to spread it is purely all yours and completely subjective.”– anon
“We will continue to speak out, becoming more publicly and more vehemently opposed to this ridiculous delusion that serves only to erode rational thought, personal responsibility and the peace and security of all citizens.”– anon
“Any animal whatever, endowed with well-marked social instincts, would inevitably acquire a moral sense or conscience as soon as its intellectual powers had become as well-developed, or anything like as well-developed as in man.”- Charles Darwin
“Supporting the notion that non-believers go to hell is clearly intolerant of those that do not share your beliefs ... Don't be intolerant toward others, pretend you're tolerant, and get offended when others don't respect your beliefs. Go ahead and support the notion that people who disagree will end up in the lake of fire - but don't be taken back when they mock you, and don't expect anything different in return. Reap what you sow”– Matthew Metzger
“Religious institutions that use government power in support of themselves and force their views on persons of other faiths, or of no faith, undermine all our civil rights.”- Thomas Jefferson
“How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded,“This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant?” Instead they say,“No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.” A religion, old or new, that stressed the magnificence of the Universe as revealed by modern science might be able to draw forth reserves of reverence and awe hardly tapped by the conventional faiths.”- Carl Sagan
“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.”- Robert A. Heinlein
“Imagine the people who … are not ashamed to ignore, totally, all the patient findings of thinking minds through all the centuries since the Bible was written. And it is these ignorant people, the most uneducated, the most unimaginative, the most unthinking among us, who would make themselves the guides and leaders of us all; who would force their feeble and childish beliefs on us; who would invade our schools and libraries and homes. I personally resent it bitterly.”- Isaac Asimov
Darn it....I didn't make the list!!

:o)

Nice post IANS!

#215007 Feb 25, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The historical Jesus is established well enough to be accepted by most credible scholars.
A few fringe crackpots resist.
Odd coincidence they are humanists.
Sorry Buck but ALL the "historical" references of Jesus lead straight back to the Gospels as their original source.

If the veracity of the Gospels is in question, one does not use the Gospels to prove the Gospels.

But then, you never have figured out that circular reasoning is a fallacy.

And, actually, the number of scholars questioning the existence of Jesus is growing. In the past it was almost universal acceptance of the Bible as a real source. That is becoming less and less so. Most strong adherents to a historical Jesus do so because of religious beliefs, not because of strong evidence.

I will also point out that my own view, as I have stated often and you ignore, is that there was a minor religious leader named Jesus. He, however, was not divine in any way. He wasn't even original in his material. But he likely existed, but almost all the stories about him are mythology. Most of what is attributed to him never happened.

#215008 Feb 25, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care how something is listed. I was telling you what something is.
If murders per capita over a given time is listed, it is a per capita murder rate.
If you give numbers of murders over a given time, it is a murder rate.
If you give murders per capita, with no time specified, it is a murder rate, as murders relate to population, but it makes no sense.
Right. Everyone else is wrong and Buck is right. Gotcha.

(My what big ego you have.)

“Love much, trust none”

There

#215009 Feb 25, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't hear them say anything.
All I saw was more of your stupid crap.
If you only had a real education and the ability to read beyond a 6th grade level you would have.

Thanks for proving once again that Christianity is the religion of morons and liars.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 20 min Thinking 18,895
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 31 min Pahu 2,100
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 34 min ChristineM 6,713
News .com | What hope is there without God? 36 min Thinking 3
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 13 hr spellmeout 14,657
News Confessions of a black atheist 17 hr thetruth 478
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) Tue Pete-o 7,409
More from around the web