Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258484 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#215119 Feb 25, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Troll science say's so.
Attach buttered toast to your whole body , buttered side in .
Now you can hover through the air never hitting the ground, because buttered toast will never land buttered side up.
The same trick works with cats-- super-glue their feet together, then toss'em up in the air... they spin and spin and spin....

<snerk>

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#215120 Feb 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol
Naw, that was a metaphorical hand clapping.
Nope you messed up.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#215121 Feb 25, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
< Expert Quote> Bart D. Ehrman states that the existence of Jesus and his crucifixion by the Romans is attested to by a wide range of sources, including Josephus and Tacitus.[36]

Josephus was not a contemporary of Jesus, he lived decades after his death and could only know about the life of Jesus through "hearsay" Stories passed on from one to the next.
You caused me a double take on that one. Ehrman, taken in by the bawdlerized Josephus quote?

Turns out, not so much. Ehrman does concede a historical Jesus, but his reference to that particular oft-quoted selection of Josephus was to show it to be a fraud.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#215122 Feb 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
So what? That wasn't my words.
I said that California has the highest gun murder rate in the country.
That is true.

You also said that was because of restrictive firearm laws, you believed.

I then asked for the link that supported that claim, and noted I didn't see that data in what I'd read, and that actually Louisiana had a higher per capita death rate due to firearms, and far more permissive gun laws and a higher percentage of gun ownership.

http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

And before we go further, you should acquaint yourself with the meaning of this word.

Noun: rate
1. A magnitude or frequency relative to a time unit
2. Amount of a charge or payment relative to some basis
3. The relative speed of progress or change
4. A quantity or amount or measure considered as a proportion of another quantity or amount or measure

Verb: rate
1. Assign a rank or rating to
2. Be worthy of or have a certain rating
3. Evalulate how important or likely something is

WordWeb Pro 7.02

Do you really want me to correct you again?

Location hidden

#215123 Feb 25, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
What does that have to do with the discussion?
Another Redneck "red herring"?
His straw men are hungry and restless.

Kimare's straw men are close to a full on revolt.

“The future begins”

every moment

#215124 Feb 25, 2014
KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I 'demanded' no such thing. I asked It Ain't to provide a historical example of a country that removed religion as she was suggesting.
Here is a brief history of failure;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_atheism
It is why you girls are in a flurry of confusion, lying and denial.
God help you if you are the best 'rational atheists' around!
Smile.
<quoted text>
Yes, it really does.
Smirk.
Aw, look Ma, ain't that cute? It's writing it's own little passion plays for it's own amusement. Hey! Whatever keeps it from torturing the neighbor's cats, it's all good.

Location hidden

#215125 Feb 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
When did this turn to sex crimes?!
I was talking about consensual sex and consensual sex acts.
Get your mind out of the gutter.
I often think the same thing in relation to your mythic biblical guidebook.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#215126 Feb 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Hooray for you!
Did you know that 'gym' is short for 'gymnasium'?
Did you know that a man who hits a woman is a coward?

And a parent who hits a baby is a child abuser?

That makes you, Redneck, a cowardly child abuser.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#215127 Feb 25, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
RR said that a BJ isn't sex.
I guess he believed Clinton, then.
The Redneck doesn't think before he posts, so he is usually left to unscramble his words.

And from what he has told us, he doesn't think before he acts, so he hits a woman and a baby, and smashes a windshield with a club, and is left trying to justify his behavior.

It's a dangerous personality he has.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#215128 Feb 25, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Do I need a restraining order?
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
What kind of leash laws do you have in Mexico?

“The future begins”

every moment

#215129 Feb 25, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
The very fact he would have *had* to be very charismatic?
Is another nail in the coffin of his supposed existence-- such a figure would have garnered at least a mention, by the historians of that day.
They wrote about the most trivial of things-- they *certainly* would have noticed a character as charismatic as this Jesus supposedly was.
If he wasn't charismatic? Well... then he couldn't have inspired a legend, could he?
It's far more likely he's a chimera -- a collection of 10s if not 100s of actual persons' ideas, pumped up with a boat-load of supernatural fiction to pad it all out.
Who would do such a thing? Constantine. He had an empire to pacify and conquer-- he desperately needed a mechanism; what better than a religion that teaches unquestioning loyalty to authority?
You could be right, I've considered that, esp, the amalgam idea. i think there's some truth there in the final product. Rabbi Hillel comes to mind as one source. I don't have an emotional investment in the idea of this man being a singular figure so it's all abstract historical discussion to me.

That said, I would suggest again that charismatic speakers, healers, magicians, misanthropes, gadflies, rebels, the whole gamut, were a dime a baker's dozen in Palestine and environs. What else did they have for amusement? Part of Mark Twain's career is based in showing how easily the rubes can be swayed, wowed, bored, and pissed off, lather, rinse repeat ad infinitum. Doesn't get every actor a mention in Variety. How much more so in that god-blasted landscape with no Netflix?

So, this particular guy Jesus only became a big deal after the fact, after his core followers refused to "move on" to the next great thing, and revered his memory, beginning among themselves to spin yarns to liven the boredom of laying low all the time, at the same time creating that unity of shared delusions that intense persecution engenders. Reading James, it's doubtful the core disciples were totally on board with the whole resurrection gag. That's all to come. Along comes Saul/Paul, who falls off his ass, bumps his head, and shazam! For some unknown reason, he wants to horn in on the act, a great rivalry develops, Paul spins up his own mixtape of Jesus' Greatest Hits, and is far more energetic at selling it. It's only NOW this Jesus aka the Christ is worth a mention in the local gazette.

The rest is history. Kinda.

I dunno. Could be, is all I'm sayin'. >shrug< It doesn't add or take away anything in the larger discussion of authenticity, veracity, or authority of fanciful "gospels" to allow a guy very likely lived down underneath all that crusted legend.

Location hidden

#215130 Feb 25, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text> You could be right, I've considered that, esp, the amalgam idea. i think there's some truth there in the final product. Rabbi Hillel comes to mind as one source. I don't have an emotional investment in the idea of this man being a singular figure so it's all abstract historical discussion to me.
That said, I would suggest again that charismatic speakers, healers, magicians, misanthropes, gadflies, rebels, the whole gamut, were a dime a baker's dozen in Palestine and environs. What else did they have for amusement? Part of Mark Twain's career is based in showing how easily the rubes can be swayed, wowed, bored, and pissed off, lather, rinse repeat ad infinitum. Doesn't get every actor a mention in Variety. How much more so in that god-blasted landscape with no Netflix?
So, this particular guy Jesus only became a big deal after the fact, after his core followers refused to "move on" to the next great thing, and revered his memory, beginning among themselves to spin yarns to liven the boredom of laying low all the time, at the same time creating that unity of shared delusions that intense persecution engenders. Reading James, it's doubtful the core disciples were totally on board with the whole resurrection gag. That's all to come. Along comes Saul/Paul, who falls off his ass, bumps his head, and shazam! For some unknown reason, he wants to horn in on the act, a great rivalry develops, Paul spins up his own mixtape of Jesus' Greatest Hits, and is far more energetic at selling it. It's only NOW this Jesus aka the Christ is worth a mention in the local gazette.
The rest is history. Kinda.
I dunno. Could be, is all I'm sayin'. >shrug< It doesn't add or take away anything in the larger discussion of authenticity, veracity, or authority of fanciful "gospels" to allow a guy very likely lived down underneath all that crusted legend.
The man behind the curtain; Wizard of Oz

Location hidden

#215131 Feb 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
A rate is a measurement, a quantity OR a frequency.
To say "California has the highest murder rate by firearm than any or state" is a 100% thing to say.
What is the significance of that statement?

What are you trying to convince us of?

This is where you drop the ball, immediately after repeating something you've read.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
To say "Washington, DC has the highest murder rate per capita by firearm" is another true sentence.
So?

If you want to be relevant, produce the numbers AND an explanation congruent with statistical theory.

Location hidden

#215132 Feb 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I just find it amusing when a lesbian says she had sex with a woman.
Although two women can be sexual with each other, they can't have sex.
Oral and finger play isn't sex.
It is sex.

It isn't vaginal penetration with a penis.

Sex is the greater category of acts that achieve sexual gratification, not one specific act out of hundreds.

Your definition is outdated, culturally preferential, and insensitive. In its place, we will define sex in a way that is inclusive, fair, and logical.

Location hidden

#215133 Feb 25, 2014
River Tam wrote:
He doesn't seem to know what sex is either.
I think he should Ask Alexyss.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#215134 Feb 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Louisiana does not have the highest murder rate by firearm, California does. In 2011, LA had 402 murders by firearm, CA had 1,220. http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in... You don't know that actual gun ownership rates. People who have illegal guns don't register them...
The murder rates in California and Louisiana need to be given as a ratio of murders per capita (or per 100,000) to be useful to ascertain the gun murder rate, meaning that the absolute murder counts need to be divided by the state's populations.

In the 2010 census, California had 37,253,956 people and Louisiana 4,533,372. Assuming that the populations of the two states were roughly similar the next year, that means that Californians experienced murders by firearm at a rate of about 1220 / 372.5 x 100,000 = 3.28 per 100.000 population, and in Louisiana, there were about 402 / 45.33 x 100.000 = 8.87 murders by firearm per 100.000 population - somewhere between double and triple (270%) the murder rate. Any given Louisianan was almost three times as likely to be gunned down.

This is the same mistake you made using absolute numbers of American Christians instead of percentage of the total. It's the percentage that determines the church's political and social clout. When Christians are outnumbered by non-Christians, and their values will stop determining elections, laws, and policies, and will no longer define the majority. opinion wherever they are different from those of the non-Christians.

Fennario

#215135 Feb 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You said Catcher contributes and implied that I don't.
I doubt it.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Pretty good universal coverage, eh?
It aint necessarily so wrote:
You don't have that. Did you want it? Did you support the notion?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
No, I didn't support Obamacare and I still don't support Obamacare.
Not what I asked.

Fennario

#215136 Feb 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Clearly you missed the entire point of the Bible.
Nope. You did.

I understand what the bible is for, and avoided that.

Fennario

#215137 Feb 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
http://m.blogs.christianpost.c om/biblical-spirituality/scien tific-studies-on-prayer-does-p rayer-really-work-13400/
Don't see "christianpost" and ignore it. That's an amalgamated list of reports of medical doctors on the efficacy of prayer.
I ignored your link after I saw that none of the page's claims , and with cause as explained previously. Find the original research. I need to look at the study designs. In my experience,including my recent experience on this thread, Christians shouldn't be trusted with statistics.

Also, they listed the same data multiple times, such as two entries for "Ladies' Home Journal - December 2004 ... "The Healing Power of Prayer" by Kathryn Casey" and three for "The Healing Power of Prayer - November 29, 1998 by Parker Lee Nash, Staff Writer." After awhile, you just stop trusting the people generating such pages.

Fennario

#215138 Feb 25, 2014
"I ignored your link after I saw that none of the page's claims , and with cause as explained previously"

should read

"I ignored your link after I saw that none of the page's claims COULD BE CONFIRMED, and with cause as explained previously"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Aura Mytha 32,425
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 11 hr Science 78,466
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 11 hr Eagle 12 - 1,310
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... Aug 12 Eagle 12 - 1,152
what science will NEVER be able to prove Aug 11 Eagle 12 - 5
News What Ever Happened to the New Atheists?by Ellio... Aug 7 nanoanomaly 1
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) Aug 5 yehoshooah adam 4,381
More from around the web