Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255905 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#214928 Feb 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:

You lie.
You're exposing yourself as a liar, Catch.
Many people reading this know that I've said God touched me on the head.
(here comes the perverted, sexually depraved and deprived Topix Atheist! comment of "which head?")
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
But which head?
Or were you touched IN the head?
See? The sexually depraved and deprived Topix Atheist! comment of "which head?"

I hate being right all the time.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#214929 Feb 25, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Good luck with that.
Your "expert" [Ehrman] seems confused if he can be believed to be in mid-existential crisis rather than merely misrepresenting himself in order to carve out a niche for himself in the apologetics world.
lbr's "most historians" include mostly Christian historians, who of course would insist on the historicity of Jesus. If he weren't historic, then their whole religion falls apart.

While personally I think there was a person named Jesus that was a minor religious leader, I also think that the stories about him became completely overblown. This was likely due to the influence of other religious myths (including Mythra) floating around the Middle East at the time.

This would be similar to Daniel Boone, who WAS a real person, having a story about him killing a grizzly with his bare hands. The man was real, but the story myth.

Richard Carrier, who has written extensively about the historicity of Jesus, does make a good case that no real Jesus existed. His arguments aren't conclusive, but do present some good food for thought.

Here is a talk he presented to a humanist group on the subject...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#214930 Feb 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:

I already answered this yesterday. I think there's more gun violence in California than any other state because California has the strictest gun laws in the union.
Just Think wrote:
You are incorrect.
And stupid.
I mean, monumentally stupid.
Honestly, its almost embarrassing that you aren't getting it...
You'll excuse me for not taking your opinion on this as fact.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#214931 Feb 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup, I can totally see Blob "turning Christian " as soon as he got locked up. He be going to church, praying, getting a cross tattoo and making sure the parole board knows it.
"Bobstyle" lol.
So you also agree, that our Judicial system is so effed up, that **all** Judges are so stupid and religious, that anyone pretending to be "christian" automagically gets a free ride?

Wow.

That's sickening-- and more proof than ever, we need to get rid of your hate-filled and toxic religion.

Thanks!

You are helping to rid the world of your hate-cult.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#214932 Feb 25, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, no, you didn't.
It Ain't said religion is forbidden.
Comprehension honey, comprehension.
I found 3.

And you lie-- it was not forbidden-- it was diminished power over government.

A big difference.

Indeed-- comprehension-- you don't have any.

But you are just another Christian Bully™, so what can we expect, but hate from you?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#214933 Feb 25, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Some time ago, my neighbor was whining about his insurance rates going up because of Obamacare. This was before Obamacare took effect, so that the increases weren't actually linked to Obamacare. But Fox News had told him it was, and he believed them.
Just another example of why not to listen to Fox News.
Rates did go up due to Obamacare prior to the law taking effect.

This is common knowledge. Go back and tell your neighbor you are sorry for being a moron.

And please, look for a subject you know something about.

Take your time. Infinite donuts is your specialty. Got anything new on that front?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#214934 Feb 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a dishonest ass.
California, 1,220 gun murders in 2011.
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in...
Even though Cali has the strictest gun laws in the union.
Gun laws promote gun violence.
LMAO!

Your "conclusion" is based on? What?

How many murders PER PERSON? California is one of the most POPULATED of states-- I would EXPECT to see more gun murders in TOTAL.

HOW MANY PER 1000 people?

Do you even have a clue?

No?

Well... that fits-- you lie, it's how you roll.

Just another Christian Bully™.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#214935 Feb 25, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
Yet? In those same countries-- church attendence is so low, that they have had to close the doors on many, very old buildings.
Yet? In all three of those countries, Christians are predominant.

One need not attend church to be Christian.

I thought you knew.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#214936 Feb 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a dishonest ass.
California, 1,220 gun murders in 2011.
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in...
Even though Cali has the strictest gun laws in the union.
Gun laws promote gun violence.
Care to explain Australia's record?

When they got rid of nearly all the guns in their country, including almost all handguns-- gun deaths went **DOWN** so dramatically, that everyone was surprised.

But you cannot explain that-- because you prefer your delusions instead.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#214937 Feb 25, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
Incorrect. You are conflating "rate" with "total". California, with its huge population, would be expected to have a high total number of murders by firearm.

However, "rate" is calculated by "total divided by population". This puts Louisiana, with its much smaller population, as having a higher murder RATE than California.
No. You would expect that a state with a huge amount of gun restrictions and laws would have a much, much, much lower murder number than California or Washington, DC does. Per capita, DC has the highest gun murder rate BY FAR than any other state.

Like I've said, gun laws only promote more gun violence. They make it harder for honest citizens to protect themselves against criminals that don't care what they gun laws say.

#214938 Feb 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Two women can't have sex.
All you can do is "be sexual".
Third base isn't sex.
Just sayin...
So to you a BJ isn't sex?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#214939 Feb 25, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Sweden is free , the people simply chose to become non- believers. That's the only way it can work, you can't force people to turn loose religion. They have make that decision themselves.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Swed...
I agree 100% with your statement and conclusions, here.

It is impossible to impose morality on a population-- the people have to **want** it, first.

Of course-- how you raise your children has an eventual effect on the morality of the adults they become.

And religion has demonstrated it does not do a very good job, of raising moral and ethical adults.

For proof, I submit the most **religious** political group in the US, at present, The TeaBaggers.

Who are also the most immoral political group in many a decade.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#214940 Feb 25, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
28% of Danish citizens responded that "they believe there is a God"
Eurobarometer Poll in 2010, just 18% of Swedish citizens responded that "they believe there is a god"
Yep.

Ar rA likes to lie, and lives in a constant state of delusion.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#214941 Feb 25, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Using that logic, you could say tires cause DUI's.
That type of thinking is why you are a Christian.
Indeed.

He forgot to adjust his figures to a baseline of murders per 1000 persons.

That is the only way to measure areas with different sized populations.

Location hidden

#214942 Feb 25, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Incorrect. You are conflating "rate" with "total". California, with its huge population, would be expected to have a high total number of murders by firearm.
However, "rate" is calculated by "total divided by population". This puts Louisiana, with its much smaller population, as having a higher murder RATE than California.
Wrong.

What you are describing is "murder rate per capita".

"Murder rate" is murders per unit of time.

#214943 Feb 25, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet? In those same countries-- church attendence is so low, that they have had to close the doors on many, very old buildings.
It appears that the population is "christian" IN NAME ONLY-- and do not meet your criteria of Genuine Christholes™.
This is hardly surprising -- christianity is on a sharp decline, world-wide.
Did your Jesus tell you to call me a "dumb ass"?
Hmmm?
I bet your Asfucking Jesus told you to, didn't he?
LMAO!
Give my regards to your AsfuckingJesus, the next time you are taking one for the team.
Note that the likes of RR will denigrate people that go to church but don't really believe as not being True Christians.

UNLESS...they need the numbers for an argumentum ad populum. In which case they suddenly morph into Christians for that argument.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#214944 Feb 25, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry, the existence of Jesus has not been historically proven. None of the secular historians from Rome or Israel between 1AD and 33AD EVER mentioned Jesus. He is not mentioned in any historical document or accounts of that time period. Further, the Romans were known to keep very detailed records, especially of those they crucified, there is NO mention of anyone named Jesus being crucified.
The Christian historians cite as evidence for the existence of Jesus as Josephus, mTacitus or Plithy. They all lived LONG after Jesus lived and NEVER met him, so they were going on ONLY by what they had heard.
Yep.

Even the religious "documents" are too late-- by several generations.

Nothing in the New Testament was written until 2 or 3 generations after the supposed events.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#214945 Feb 25, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Separation clause , Remember the Cwurch of Enggwinn..
Mawwidge ....

<laffin>

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#214946 Feb 25, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, every day, you post more and more things that make you look so monumentally stupid.
Math just isn't your friend, is it?
Let's see if I can lead you to the water...
Can you think of any other reason why California might have more gun deaths than any other state?
Hint: focus on these words "more than any other state"
You can do it....
Brilliant!

LOL!

Location hidden

#214947 Feb 25, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
There was once a time when engineers ruled the world.
It was called the Dork Ages.
(Told to me by an engineer.)
Of course, we know this isn't true. It has always been that math geeks rule.
If you meet one, you can tell him so.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 10 min Richardfs 40,249
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 29 min emperorjohn 181
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 44 min emperorjohn 4,627
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Richardfs 15,752
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr ChristineM 20,579
A Universe from Nothing? 1 hr Reason Personified 25
Good arguments against Christianity Fri superwilly 90
More from around the web