Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#214177 Feb 23, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>At least tell us what your mom said!

Come on, she'd be the most supportive.

Why are you so afraid???
My mom is dead. I'd try channelling her but you're just a troll and I

Location hidden

#214178 Feb 23, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>My mom is dead. I'd try channelling her but you're just a troll and I
I don't think she'd answer me.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#214179 Feb 23, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think she'd answer me.
I don't think she would either, but I know what she'd say.

Based on your responses here, I'd guess there would be some sincerity in it too...

Now, why are you so afraid to ask even your family and friends???

Smile.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#214180 Feb 23, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Sorry you think so, but I have nothing of value to you to offer, only evidence and reasoned argument. Sorry that it doesn't support your faith based preferences.
KiMare wrote:
The assertion that your preceding posts are "only evidence and reasoned argument" perfectly validates my accusation.
I'm getting bored correcting you.
So why are you a Christian? You're an abomination to your god, which you say only approves of the marriage of one man and one woman, but not in one person. Ancient and medieval priests would have burned you alive. Yet you propagate your religion's filth anyway. Why is that?
KiMare wrote:
A clear bigoted, distorted hate attack on a respected faith and me.
You love playing the victim on behalf of both yourself and the Christian church, don't you?

There was no bigotry or distortion in my post, and whatever respect your religion enjoyed in the past is plummeting. My opinion of the church's doctrine - "filth" - is supported by the evidence of its bungled and botched fruits, you included.

The church's filth includes its Christian homophobia, atheophobia, misogyny and its war on reproductive rights; its contempt for church-state separation; its contempt for reason and evidence, and an exaltation of faith as a virtue; its anti-intellectualism and antiscientism; its tribalisitic tendencies including antisemitism and islamophobia; a deep seated misanthropy that depicts man as sin-infected, failed, utterly dependent, and hopeless except through the church's exclusive dispensation of salvation; self-loathing (we are spirits trapped in vile flesh); an ethical system in which submission to the presumed will of a petty, narcissistic and sadistic deity as interpreted by church elders is the highest moral good, and in which virtues such as self-actualization are treated contemptuously using words like "rebellion, " "arrogance, " and "pride"; the doctrine of sin in which deviation from an ancient and irrational set of values is viewed as grounds for retribution by a god, and by extension, its agents on earth trying to curry favor with it; a distrust of the material world and an effort to alienate the faithful from it; contempt for the earth, which is seen as a waiting room scheduled for apocalyptic annihilation "soon"; cheap and easy self-forgiveness (when does Jesus ever not forgive whoever asks for forgiveness?); sexual constipation (guilt, shame), and anhedonia - the idea that pleasure is sin.

That's filth, and saying so is not bigotry. Why? Because bigotry is directed at people, not ideas, and is irrational, not confirmed by evidence.
KiMare wrote:
I have a penis and a non-functioning vagina. I also have three nipples. I experience myselves as a lesbian trapped in a straight man. Here is a more recent article; http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/20130...
What have you done with your brother? Did you consume him? I think you took the bit about being your brother's keeper a bit too literally.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#214181 Feb 23, 2014
<quoted text>
No.You are boring.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Fennario

#214182 Feb 23, 2014
You're a Christian. What else is there to know? You flatter yourself by supposing that anybody here cares about your particular theology - your specific choices from the cafeteria menu. If you wrote out the details - baptism by immersion or by sprinkling, literal or metaphorical creation myth, Saturday or Sunday church, by works or by faith - I can't imagine anybody bothering to read it. Unless you're into snake handling. I'd pay money to see that.
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
Indeed. There is little functional difference between your typical Genuine Christian™ or your typical Genuine Mormon™ or even your Genuine Muslim™. They are all, on a fundamental level, the same deluded foolish people.
Why would we care about their particular theology? From our perspective, they're all the same because they function the same way. They promote the church in their conversation, with their tithing, by voting according to what they have been told Jesus wants, and by otherwise supporting various Christian positions as with their objections to same sex marriage and abortion rights.

Location hidden

#214183 Feb 23, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think she would either, but I know what she'd say.

Based on your responses here, I'd guess there would be some sincerity in it too...

Smile.
You do? Did you know my mother?

**don't it make you just want to rush to church?**

Fennario

#214184 Feb 23, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
this horrid testament to human suffering, needs to be dismantled.
We have a duty to speak up about the church and on behalf of life without religion. The more we do, the more that other unbelievers will do the same, and the more that people who are simply conforming to group pressure will feel comfortable living without religion.

Our immediate goal has to be to disempower it politically and socially in order to get it out of the lives of unbelievers. That means getting it onto the tax rolls, getting its god off the currency and out of the pledge, and removing its influence from the legislatures and laws books, and from the school boards and classrooms.

The next goal should be to protect children from the church.

Location hidden

#214185 Feb 23, 2014
<quoted text>We have a duty to speak up about the church and on behalf of life without religion. The more we do, the more that other unbelievers will do the same, and the more that people who are simply conforming to group pressure will feel comfortable living without religion.

Our immediate goal has to be to disempower it politically and socially in order to get it out of the lives of unbelievers. That means getting it onto the tax rolls, getting its god off the currency and out of the pledge, and removing its influence from the legislatures and laws books, and from the school boards and classrooms.

Well said. I agree.

Location hidden

#214186 Feb 23, 2014
KiMare wrote:
The assertion that your preceding posts are "only evidence and reasoned argument" perfectly validates my accusation.
<quoted text>
"You're an abomination to your god,"

"Yet you propagate your religion's filth anyway."

"My opinion of the church's doctrine - "filth" - is supported by the evidence of its bungled and botched fruits, you included."

"What have you done with your brother? Did you consume him? I think you took the bit about being your brother's keeper a bit too literally."

Thank you for making my point. Again.

Hateful, ignorant, bully bigotry by a troll faking a 'rational atheist'.

In every community today across this country, Christians will gather to better themselves and respond gratefully to their God's grace by giving themselves and their resources to the community and world around them.

You represent the 'rational atheist' contribution.

Proud?

SMirk.

Location hidden

#214187 Feb 23, 2014
KiMare wrote:

Smile.
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems like I do know her better. I'm not trying to claim that 'two dads' can replace a mom...

Why are you afraid to ask family and friends? Man up honey!

Smile.

Location hidden

#214188 Feb 23, 2014
<quoted text>
We have a duty to speak up about the church and on behalf of life without religion. The more we do, the more that other unbelievers will do the same, and the more that people who are simply conforming to group pressure will feel comfortable living without religion.
How's that worked out before in history?

Perhaps you could give me a historic example?

Smile.

Location hidden

#214189 Feb 23, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said. I agree.
A wise man once said, "If the blind lead the blind, they both will fall into the ditch."

You both should listen to Him.

Smile.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#214190 Feb 23, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
He thinks he IS your mother um father ugh mothfather famother what ever IT is.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#214191 Feb 23, 2014
KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
"You're an abomination to your god,"
"Yet you propagate your religion's filth anyway."
"My opinion of the church's doctrine - "filth" - is supported by the evidence of its bungled and botched fruits, you included."
"What have you done with your brother? Did you consume him? I think you took the bit about being your brother's keeper a bit too literally."
Thank you for making my point. Again.
Hateful, ignorant, bully bigotry by a troll faking a 'rational atheist'.
In every community today across this country, Christians will gather to better themselves and respond gratefully to their God's grace by giving themselves and their resources to the community and world around them.
You represent the 'rational atheist' contribution.
Proud?
SMirk.
Don't forget to eat and drink you some jebus meat a jebus juice.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#214192 Feb 23, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Neither are lying nor are they anonymous. John is the Gospel which is far more explicit about the identity of Christ bring equal to God. In other words Jesus is Yahweh according to John. Like most fundies you are far to literal in your interpretations and selective in your facts.
Well now that's the beauty of Christian prophecy, ain't it? Anonymous authors can hyper-select any old excerpt from Hebrew scripture, call it prophecy even where the original writer didn't know it, and even where it makes no sense in the context of the source, and if it is questioned, they can easily say, "Oh well you're just taking it too literally/not literally enough/without the proper Spirit". That, my dear, is why Christian prophecy is a sham.

I'm feeling like Diogenes here, looking high and low for one honest and true unequivocal prophecy, evident without qualification or indoctrination. What good to the world that needs "saving" is a prophecy that only "reveals" on faith? Is Christian prophecy just a self-affirming club anecdote?

Location hidden

#214193 Feb 23, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>KiMare wrote:

Smile.

Seems like I do know her better. I'm not trying to claim that 'two dads' can replace a mom...

Why are you afraid to ask family and friends? Man up honey!

Smile.
When did I say I was afraid to ask family and friends?

Now I had two dads?

Is this the method you use to "interpret" your bible?

Or is it more of a "I know you are but what am I?" style of conversation?

**tells everyone he's not insane because he lied to his friends to get pieces of paper signed, then asks if I've effectively lived his life? wtf? stay away from religion**

Fennario

#214194 Feb 23, 2014
KiMare wrote:
LOL, I have a piece of paper signed by three psychologists that affirms I am capable of living on my own.
Yikes.

Location hidden

#214195 Feb 23, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>A wise man once said, "If the blind lead the blind, they both will fall into the ditch."

You both should listen to Him.

Smile.
Who was this wise man?

I'm not listening to anyone, based on just your recommendation.

Was he a preacher? That would be funny.

Grins with open eyes.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#214196 Feb 23, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Well now that's the beauty of Christian prophecy, ain't it? Anonymous authors can hyper-select any old excerpt from Hebrew scripture, call it prophecy even where the original writer didn't know it, and even where it makes no sense in the context of the source, and if it is questioned, they can easily say, "Oh well you're just taking it too literally/not literally enough/without the proper Spirit". That, my dear, is why Christian prophecy is a sham.
Who says they are anonymous? You? Yeah it is all a sham according to you and the rebirth of Israel at the same spot is no big deal.
I'm feeling like Diogenes here, looking high and low for one honest and true unequivocal prophecy,
You are not looking for anything, let alone the truth of the matter. Like most unbelievers you have your head buried where the sun does not shine. Blind in biblical language.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 37 min Zog Has-fallen 18,886
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 5 hr spellmeout 14,657
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 5 hr woodtick57 6,706
News .com | What hope is there without God? 8 hr Amused 2
News Confessions of a black atheist 8 hr thetruth 478
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 8 hr thetruth 2,099
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 15 hr Pete-o 7,409
More from around the web