Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255857 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#214302 Feb 23, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
Ooooo....
Struck a nerve there, eh arar?
I'm sick of Čätčh&#2 79;r'ś shit.

But I have no nerves to strike.

I left them in my other pants.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#214303 Feb 23, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>Never try to teach a pig to sing.

It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Lol. Just let him talk to himself. It makes some of his recent posts even funnier.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#214304 Feb 23, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You post ABOUT me, but not directly to me.
That's chickenshit, you know.[QUOTE] It was a weak moment.
[QUOTE] Why must you once again embarrass the uniform?
What uniform?
You're a coward, Brother Marine.
I am not brother Marine and did 4+ years in the United States Navy on board the USS Midway and the USS Stein. That is all you need to know.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#214305 Feb 23, 2014
KiMare wrote:
"You're an abomination to your god," "Yet you propagate your religion's filth anyway." "My opinion of the church's doctrine - "filth" - is supported by the evidence of its bungled and botched fruits, you included." "What have you done with your brother? Did you consume him? I think you took the bit about being your brother's keeper a bit too literally."

SMirk.
Agreed,

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#214306 Feb 23, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand why you won't respond to my question about medical insurance.
You have a very strong feeling of guilt, knowing that if one of kids suffers a catastrophic illness, he will be left without medical treatment as a result of your irresponsibility and selfishness. Oh, well, I guess your god will take care of him. But what if that Satan guy butts in--then what?
BTW, telling me to shove it up my ass won't help him or you.
Getting your head out of your ass will help you.

Fennario

#214307 Feb 23, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
We have a duty to speak up about the church and on behalf of life without religion. The more we do, the more that other unbelievers will do the same, and the more that people who are simply conforming to group pressure will feel comfortable living without religion. Our immediate goal has to be to disempower it politically and socially in order to get it out of the lives of unbelievers. That means getting it onto the tax rolls, getting its god off the currency and out of the pledge, and removing its influence from the legislatures and laws books, and from the school boards and classrooms.
The next goal should be to protect children from the church.
KiMare wrote:
How's that worked out before in history?
What? Watching a religion die and lose influence? The trash heap of forgotten gods is millions high.
KiMare wrote:
Perhaps you could give me a historic example?
The Druids and the Aztec. They each once ruled with an iron fist. Not so much any more. Your church is next.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#214308 Feb 23, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
You may have been out of the loop, but you got the overview spot-on.
Politicians of all stripes have been marching out healthcare reform in every election cycle since at least Nixon. Then, after every election, it was set back on the campaign shelf. Finally a politician was willing to fight for it, although his follow-thru left something to be desired.
The original proposal included some kind of universal coverage, marginally subsidized. On it went to committee for "reconciliation". Every single item in dispute today, inc. the individual mandate, were conservative conceptions. The result was the mongrel we have today, which in one sense, is the hallmark of democracy, you might say - mongrel legislation that no one likes. Interestingly enough, no sooner did it leave committee but conservatives fought against it. It was almost like it was staged, yaknow?
Did you ever notice that when people talk about losing jobs overseas because "those people" work for less than fat, lazy American workers, they rarely mention that "those people" very often enjoy universal healthcare?
Congress is a kindergarten.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#214309 Feb 23, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah I can understand and hopefully my interest will wane but I do believe the more Homosexuality is normalized the more Christianity will be demonized and that is not necessarily a bad thing according to Richard Wurmbrand who wrote Tortured For Christ. One of the first books I read from a Christian POV.
You have to accept that homosexuality happens.

You have to accept that people think differently.

You have to accept that their version of happiness is different than yours.

You DO NOT have to accept it as normal.

No more than they have to accept your lifestyle as normal.

Fennario

#214310 Feb 23, 2014
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
Catcher1 wrote:
Excellent.
Thanks
Catcher1 wrote:
Brother Marine/LB may have a second-visit meltdown though.
Is lightbeamrider Brother Marine? What's with Christians and sock puppetry?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#214311 Feb 23, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Getting your head out of your ass will help you.
That's gonna take a lot of lotion.
ROCCO

Indio, CA

#214312 Feb 23, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
In the context of Catcher's post, being that we all need to "bite the bullet" and help each other out, the 'boo hoo' was completely unwarranted.
I do not have health insurance because it's too expensive. I never used it one time in 2013 and they still raised it 30%, they raised everyone that works for my company 30%. That over 250,000 people that are getting stuck with a higher premium thanks to the Unaffordable Care Act.
Are you complaining that conservative politicians tried blocking it? Why? The bill was so enormous and filled with so many extra taxes, fees and fines, they knew it was bad for the people. Great for the gub'ment. Great for the insurance companies. But bad for the people.
To answer your question; no. I don't think universal health care is needed. I don't see health care a right, I see it as a privilege like voting or driving.
I DO think that emergency medical, fire, military and police should be everyone's right.
But to say that taxes should pay for people's private medical insurance? Nope.
Don't you think it's pretty stupid of you to have just said who you work for?

That makes it even more surprising that you can get away with spending the lion's share of your workday posting on Topix instead, of, uh, well - posting on Topix. No "mom & pop" operation would be able to overlook your thievery of their time and money.

Not to even mention your wife and child-bashing - and clubbing terrified motorists' windshields.

But thanks! for the fine Christian example you are.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#214313 Feb 23, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>Looking for a true 'rational atheist' to take on where 'it ain't so' bailed out.

Any brave soulless atheists care to try???

Smirk.
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Never try to teach a pig to sing.
It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Ah, here come the sissy excuses. Are all 'rational atheists' gay???

Smirk.

Location hidden

#214314 Feb 23, 2014
<quoted text>
Agreed,
And the childish attempt at cleverness to disguise failure...

You can run sissy, but you can't hide.

Smirk.

Location hidden

#214315 Feb 23, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Perhaps you could give me a historic example?
<quoted text>
The Druids and the Aztec. They each once ruled with an iron fist. Not so much any more. Your church is next.
The Druids and Aztecs are examples of godless societies???

Damn girl you are losing it.

Okay, before you throw limp wristed dirt and run, try one more time. Name some cultures that eradicated religion (as much as possible).

SMirk.

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Sunburnt Country

#214316 Feb 23, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a such thing as an accidental pregnancy. It's when you get pregnant unintentionally. If you get an STD unintentionally, that's an accident too. Accidents are unintentional effects. Pregnancies are often happy accidents.
I think you made this error accidentally.
Children in the backseat of cars can cause accidents.
Accidents in the backseat of cars can cause children.
ROCCO

Indio, CA

#214317 Feb 23, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
It's always amusing when people such as yourself give advice so freely, yet fail to practice it yourself.

People like you, Redneck, Nightmare, etc., make it so easy to not only NOT want what you have and are offering, but to RUN from it like the plague it is.

Perhaps I've spent too many years being a fairly typical "Christian", calling myself one but not really giving it any serious thought - until now. Those such as IANS on the one side, and those such as yourself, et al, have made it so abundantly clear that choosing a religion - and therefore a "GOD" - is nothing more than the folly of those who have forsaken the willingness - and therefore the ability - to think rationally and independent of others. The bullshit I hear from your camp - and the deceit you employ on yourselves and others to explain the 1.2 +/- individual interpretations of the myths your bible promulgates - is deafening, and wearisome.

I thank you and those like you for your contribution to helping me have greater confidence in the decision I have made to abandon false thinking, hope and living, while I simultaneously thank those such as IANS for helping me grow more comfortable - and confident - in my new journey.

In summation, it is a "group" thanks! to both sides for having helped me conclude to pull my head out of my ass. If nothing else, the end result/benefit has been that I no long suffer from religious constipation.

ROCCO

Indio, CA

#214318 Feb 23, 2014
1.2 Billion +/-

Location hidden

#214319 Feb 23, 2014
Okay,

Maybe It Ain'ts 'rational atheist' friends can join forces and come up with the shining example of an atheistic country???

Come on girls, show us your stuff!

Snicker.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#214320 Feb 23, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's gonna take a lot of lotion.
Yeah...

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg601/sca...

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Sunburnt Country

#214321 Feb 23, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
When the right side of your face is buried in the sand up to your left nostril and there's a boot on your throat and the voice above you asks: Do you like Abba?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =IX79VxZ5j4gXX
Don't shake your head no.
Just sayin
Only one way to describe that situation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 min SoE 40,144
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 23 min _Susan_ 20,562
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 5 hr DanFromSmithville 15,722
A Universe from Nothing? 7 hr Reason Personified 18
Good arguments against Christianity 17 hr superwilly 90
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 20 hr Into The Night 175
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Fri Thinking 4,623
More from around the web