Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258452 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#214260 Feb 23, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
How's that worked out before in history?
Perhaps you could give me a historic example?
Smile.
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
The Crusades, The Inquisition, The Holocaust.
Isn't tens of millions of innocents murdered at Christianity's hands enough for you ?
I ask for the history of countries that tried to eradicate religion, and you give me a hateful, untrue and idiotic claim about Christianity???

Another example of 'rational atheists' and their moral integrity...

Smirk.

Location hidden

#214261 Feb 23, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
Tide with Beach wrote: I've been reading responses to his posts.
I only catch a few smiles and smirks from him/her as I scroll past.
We need some new theists. The ones that haven't retreated into the closet yet are the ones who aren't bright enough to know better.
<quoted text>
Smirk
Smile
Bazinga
.. I've been asking myself why you always end your posts with degrading adieus even when you haven't been insulted or belittled ..
.. do you realize how aggressive that is? Do you think everyone who disagrees with you is a dishonest reprobate and deserves such treatment? Does it make you feel better about yourself ??..
.. for me, it's your way of looking down on people to elevate your position and prove your superiority. Prove me wrong ..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superiority_comp...
It is mocking idiotic arrogance.

Note how 'it isn't necessary' engages an issue, gets creamed and then resorts to bigotry bull trolling.

With the last issue I dropped the smirk and engaged in a reasoned response. Look at her replies...

Smile.

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#214262 Feb 23, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No hissy fit.
You gave me advice, I responded in kind.
So, have you taken my advice?
Good for you, Redneck.
You have recovered your composure, such as it is.
But here's another bit of advice.
Next time, read what you're about to post, and think about it.
You may avoid embarrassment.

Location hidden

#214263 Feb 23, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
--The historical record of killing for atheism is 182,716 times worse on an annual basis than Christianity's worst year.
--There is a 58 percent chance that an atheist leader will murder a noticeable percentage of the population over which he rules.
--Atheist crime against humanity is 18.3 million percent worse than the very worst depredation committed by Christians, even though atheists have had less than one-twentieth the number of opportunities with which to commit them.
Bingo!

Location hidden

#214264 Feb 23, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
The Crusades, The Inquisition, The Holocaust.
Isn't tens of millions of innocents murdered at Christianity's hands enough for you ?
The total body count for the ninety years between 1917 and 2007 is approximately 148 million dead at the hands of fifty-two atheists, three times more than all the human beings killed by war, civil war, and individual crime in the entire twentieth century combined.
Thanks Buck!

The silence is deafening...

Location hidden

#214265 Feb 23, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point.
Imagine the Topix Atheist! crap I'd get if I said "Gay psychologists are not objective."
Oh boy...
Brings a whole new meaning to 'rational atheists'...

Location hidden

#214266 Feb 23, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
They were all still killing each other because of belief in gods.
Stalin was just your nemesis , You said god , he said no god ....then after 10 years of arguing about it.
You tried to kill each other over god.
And there you have it folks! Another 'rational atheist' portrays history with hate and bigotry.

Smirk.

Location hidden

#214267 Feb 23, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You'd probably lash out with violence.
Or spew out some more homophobic or misogynistic or racist insults.
You're the sediment.
One of the more reasoned response of a 'rational atheist' exposing the moral judgment they employ...

Snicker.

Location hidden

#214268 Feb 23, 2014
KiMare wrote:
I thought you had paused to mount a real challenge, or concede like a man. You disappoint me. Sad.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you concede like a man, a woman or both? How does that work when you can literally GFY?.
Ah, the 'moral, rational atheist' at their best once again.

I'm sure people who went to Church today could never achieve your level...

Smirk.

Location hidden

#214269 Feb 23, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Lol
Christianity remains the dominant religion in the West and in the world, inspiring art, literature, laws, culture and morals.
Methinks you're jumping your imaginary gun saying that it's already faded into irrelevance.
America is still over 2/3 Christian. According to this poll, it's 83%.
"Eighty-three percent of Americans identify themselves as Christians. Most of the rest, 13 percent, have no religion. That leaves just 4 percent as adherents of all non-Christian religions combined — Jews, Muslims, Buddhists and a smattering of individual mentions."
http://abcnews.go.com/m/story...
Chill out, Topix Atheist! warrior. Christianity is here to stay.
Facts are clearly not a factor for 'rational atheists'. But thanks for the effort!

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#214270 Feb 23, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. people divorce all the time, especially rich and famous people. Why do you taking exception to Ellen? How about Tom Cruise or Mel Gibson ??..
https://loveandpride.com/GayDivorce

5. Why Gay Couples Divorce
Many gay couples who married shortly after same sex marriage was legalized in their country waited years for their chance. Such couples might be thought to have a higher than usual level of commitment and stability. Yet gay and lesbian couples were divorcing just months after they married – or less.

Gay couples divorce for many reasons. Gay couples experience strong cultural pressures. Gay couples are also more likely to be two-income families with no children, which in the straight population have a higher risk of divorce. One of the less-thought-of reasons for gay marriage is to ensure that a couple in the process of break-up can access divorce courts.

As gay marriage is a relatively recent phenomenon, the gay divorce rate will not stabilize for a long time. Gay couples can only now access the streamlined legal processes that marriage and divorce provides. A study showed that the gay divorce rate for Dutch lesbian couples was higher than gay male couples, although the reason wasn't clear. Data from Nordic countries, where gay civil unions have been legal for more than a decade, also showed a slightly higher divorce rate for lesbians.
----------
Well it is an interesting social experiment and who would have anticipated the high divorce rate among lesbian couples? According to the article above children have a stabilizing influence on OSMs overall. Lesbo couples don't necessarily have that. Rosie O'Donnell divorced with adopted children.
http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Rosie-ODonnell...

Location hidden

#214271 Feb 23, 2014
KiMare wrote:
You are going to try again?
Good.
<quoted text>
Unless you post specifics with validation, your claim is meaningless.
<quoted text>
My article is replete with referenced sources. Yours has absolutely none.
<quoted text>
Again, your unsupported opinion denying the sourced claim otherwise that I posted.
Moreover, your argument is incredibly poor. A vow of monogamy is certainly more serious than a 'choice'.
To top that off, you try to assert that unmarried people are more monogamous than married people. Not just illogical, but unsupported.
<quoted text>
"Wow and others" is your source of rebuttal??? You must have missed that the last sentence of the first paragraph referenced procreation as the major purpose of marriage.
<quoted text>
Laughable since your rebuttal amounted to less than a just 'wrong' would have.
Here is why:
Once again you exposed your lack of knowledge about the social sciences (Remember your, "Science has nothing to do with marriage").
I have no problem with someone who doesn't know everything. I do have a problem with someone with arrogance that falsely pretends otherwise.
I would suggest you refresh your understanding of evolution, and most certainly educate yourself about mating behavior before you continue in this discussion.
Additionally, I am always amazed that I know more about sexual issues related to orientation than anyone I debate with on these sites. Isn't it interesting that someone who is so defined by their sexuality understands so little about it???
Looking for a true 'rational atheist' to take on where 'it ain't so' bailed out.

Any brave soulless atheists care to try???

Smirk.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#214272 Feb 23, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Good for you, Redneck.
You have recovered your composure, such as it is.
But here's another bit of advice.
Next time, read what you're about to post, and think about it.
You may avoid embarrassment.
RR doesn't suffer embarrassment.

Have you shoved your advice up your ass yet?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#214273 Feb 23, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Facts are clearly not a factor for 'rational atheists'. But thanks for the effort!
Ya, the freethinkers all freethink exactly the same.

Imagine that...

Location hidden

#214274 Feb 23, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya, the freethinkers all freethink exactly the same.
Imagine that...
LOL!

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#214275 Feb 23, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
It is mocking idiotic arrogance.
Note how 'it isn't necessary' engages an issue, gets creamed and then resorts to bigotry bull trolling.
With the last issue I dropped the smirk and engaged in a reasoned response. Look at her replies...
Smile.
.. here's how I interpret your adios endings ..

Snicker: Superiority
Smirk: Disdain
Smile: One-Upmanship
Bazinga: Sheldon Cooper Smartazz Ripoff

.. do you really think you're 'creaming' AIN by refuting his posts with pigeon chess ??..

.. this might work on the gay threads but it won't work here ..

.. you've yet to answer his question about what faith has done for you. Why is that ??..

.. and, Scar? He's a very courteous poster until pushed to the edge with character assassination ..

.. what was today's church sermon? Love thy neighbor ??..

Location hidden

#214276 Feb 23, 2014
Divorce SSM

http://www.marriageequality.org/divorce

Currently, even in states where gay marriage is legal, gay divorce is a legal nightmare. Mary Bonauto, civil-rights project director for Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders, says the courts are dealing with all sorts of new issues, such as determining the true length of the partnership. If a couple was together 25 years but was only given the right to marry a few years before divorcing, courts are taking into account the entire relationship when dividing assets. And since the Federal Defense of Marriage Act prohibits the government from recognizing gay marriage "and, by extension, complicates the possibility of divorce" the tax consequences are severe. In a heterosexual divorce, when you transfer property between spouses, says Bonauto, that doesn't trigger income-tax consequences, but that's not the case for gay couples. Gay divorcees aren't able to deduct alimony payments, nor are they able to benefit from their former spouse's 401(k). "In a lengthy-enough marriage, that would be considered as marital property on divorce, and state and federal laws can permit one or both spouses to benefit from that down the line. That's simply not an option for divorcing same-sex couples because of DOMA," she says. "So you can have a situation where one partner is accumulating the nest egg while the other watches the kids, but it will never be divisible." The problems increase in a state that does not recognize gay marriage, as is the case with Texas. The couple can potentially be locked forever in unhappy matrimony. "DOMA not only complicates divorce, it undermines the whole purpose of using divorce to end a relationship, fairly settle a couple's financial affairs, and move on. To say that the federal DOMA throws a wrench in the process would be a gross understatement," Bonauto says.(Several states, including Texas, also have their own DOMA laws, further complicating the process.)

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#214277 Feb 23, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So again, having decided not to purchase medical insurance, what will you do about medical expenses if one of your kids is diagnosed with a malignant cancer requiring surgery, chemotherapy and radiation?

Are you going to say, "Oh, well, everybody has to go sometime, and God decides," as you did before?

You really SHOULD feel embarrassment.

Location hidden

#214278 Feb 23, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Needs to get his head out first.

Location hidden

#214279 Feb 23, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. here's how I interpret your adios endings ..
Snicker: Superiority
Smirk: Disdain
Smile: One-Upmanship
Bazinga: Sheldon Cooper Smartazz Ripoff
.. do you really think you're 'creaming' AIN by refuting his posts with pigeon chess ??..
.. this might work on the gay threads but it won't work here ..
.. you've yet to answer his question about what faith has done for you. Why is that ??..
.. and, Scar? He's a very courteous poster until pushed to the edge with character assassination ..
.. what was today's church sermon? Love thy neighbor ??..
I openly admit my attitude is mockery. Well deserved mockery for ignorant arrogance.

You perpetuate the ignorant arrogance by denying that AIN could not present a reasoned response.

You join his denial by ignoring the answers I've given, and the fact that I have yet to declare my belief system. Not to mention, it simply gives him a platform to express hate and bigotry.

You also know I stated a long time ago, I don't debate faith with faithless people.

The sermon was speak the truth in love.

Smile.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min Zeke 67,218
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Science 28,657
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 3 hr Regolith Based Li... 3,531
is it ever right to hate Christians as a group? Tue superwilly 21
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) Tue superwilly 462
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Apr 22 IB DaMann 5,975
News Unholy? Atheists should embrace the science of ... Apr 20 Eagle 12 9
More from around the web