Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#213497 Feb 20, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Snake Boy neglects to adhere to what the Bible says, he's either ignoring parts of it or is ignorant of parts of it.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
I think you need to read the whole bible and not just cherry pick scriptures
Seriously? We were discussing one small group of Christians that misinterpret Scripture. Why are you being intellectually dishonest?
Yes, we do. That one is based on reproducible experiments. You can also believe but opposite, but it takes faith
RiversideRedneck wrote:
"Prayers don't work" The Topix Atheist! has many beliefs..
LOL

He said "reproducible experiments".....
RiversideRedneck wrote:
"We should not test Christ, as some of them did--and were killed by snakes."
I can see why that would be advised.
By the way, when I make a claim or a promise, feel free to test me or check me in any way possible. I can afford to say that because I'm honest, reliable, and most important, real.
I can see why, too. Pastor's like Coots apparently can't see it.

It think because he chooses not to because he found people stupid enough to blindly follow what he says.

Prove that you're real.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#213498 Feb 20, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Where's Dave, Buck?
For a time, Buck wasn't posting either. I thought the two of them had eloped and were on their honeymoon.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#213499 Feb 20, 2014
Six_of_One wrote:
This is a repulsive post and a horrible way to speak. Have you ever watched someone die from AIDS? A straight person? A child? You are scum.

You don't have a sister named 7 of 9, do you?

RiversideRedneck wrote:
Yes I have. You can thank the sexually immoral for that.

I thought that your god made AIDS in its wrath? I think that you should thank it.
I thought that your god made AIDS in its wrath? I think that you should thank it.
You TOTALLY chopped up some posts there, buddy boy.

More intellectual dishonesty?

tsk,tsk,tsk mr freethinker

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#213500 Feb 20, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I don't blame God for anything. God (at least any god man has worshiped) does not exist....

Hardly rational.
Let's look at what's "rational".

You claim here definitive knowledge that no god ever worshipped by man exists.

You thereby claim to know multiple things you cannot possibly know:

1. All the gods any man has ever worshipped.(Lie #1)

2. The certain non-existence of all those entities, even though you cannot know what they all are.(Lie #2)

3. The certain non-existence of the gods known to have been worshipped, which you cannot possibly know.(Lie #3)

Your count is now up to being caught in 6 lies in the last couple of hours.

Nice work.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#213501 Feb 20, 2014
No, we do not dismiss accurate information from any source. The reader has to decide if the information is accurate. Knowing the standards and history of the source is a good place to start.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Information being accurate is not dependent on who reads it. It is either accurate or it is inaccurate.
Yeah, I know. Thanks anyway.
I don't think you do know. You wrote "The reader has to decide if the information is accurate." which is a completely false statement.

The information is either accurate or inaccurate no matter who's reading it or if it's even read.

But you knew that...

#213502 Feb 20, 2014
<quoted text>
The reasons for denigrating Christianity are not limited to witch burning.
RR said that only a handful of witches were burned. This ignores completely the history of Europe, "witches" and the Inquisition. A great many were burned, or otherwise murdered, in the name of stomping out witchcraft.

We still see this happening in Africa, mostly as a result of Pentecostals. Children and old women (as always) are the primary victims.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#213503 Feb 20, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
God doesn't infect anyone with AIDS, people do that on their own accord using their God-given free will.
Don't forget the god-given lethal virus.
You're choosing not to understand.

Or at least, you're choosing not to admit you understand...

#213504 Feb 20, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You could exonerate yourself from this lie by posting an example of me saying what you claim I said.
But you won't, because you can't.
And how many times have you mentioned Hitler, etal. in relation to atheism? And your constant posting of the numbers you claim have been killed in the name of atheism?

Sure...you didn't say those exact words. But you said their equivalent.

Which makes you a lying bastard.

#213505 Feb 20, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Seriously? We were discussing one small group of Christians that misinterpret Scripture. Why are you being intellectually dishonest?
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
LOL
He said "reproducible experiments".....
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I can see why, too. Pastor's like Coots apparently can't see it.
It think because he chooses not to because he found people stupid enough to blindly follow what he says.
Prove that you're real.
And the snake handlers would say you are blind and ignoring your Bible.

Tell me again how the Bible is so clear about what it says...

#213506 Feb 20, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's look at what's "rational".
You claim here definitive knowledge that no god ever worshipped by man exists.
You thereby claim to know multiple things you cannot possibly know:
1. All the gods any man has ever worshipped.(Lie #1)
2. The certain non-existence of all those entities, even though you cannot know what they all are.(Lie #2)
3. The certain non-existence of the gods known to have been worshipped, which you cannot possibly know.(Lie #3)
Your count is now up to being caught in 6 lies in the last couple of hours.
Nice work.
I can claim that because there are claims made about these gods that do not match with reality, or there are logical contradictions in their stated nature. All of them, the Christian God included.

I can not say definitively there is not some deist sort of god out there, but if there is it really doesn't matter. Such a god does not intervene in human affairs. It, like all other gods, show no effect on the real world.

Buck...I advise you to not try counting lies. You have told so many so often over the past years that they are uncountable. You have no credibility.

Location hidden

#213507 Feb 20, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
If you had two working brain cells,...
We are envious of those 2 working brain cells you have.

Even if they are hooked to a battery.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#213508 Feb 20, 2014
No, we do not dismiss accurate information from any source.
lightbeamrider wrote:
You just wrote you reject Christian apologetics websites for reasons stated here.
----------
Those of us with any familiarity with Christian apologetics sites have long since given up looking to them for reliable information. Most skeptics reject Christian apologists because we are familiar by now with their motives, ethics, and tactics. Reputation and past performance matter. If you can only find something on a Christian site, it's likely faith based, meaning unsupported by evidence, and therefore not convincing to a rational skeptic. If you want to cite a reference to an audience that isn't all faith based thinkers, choose one that isn't Christian. There is nothing known only to Christians, meaning that anything true on a Christian apologetics web site was imported from a secular site. Please link to that if you want your reference to be taken seriously.
----------
Now you are doing a flip flop.
Disagree. If you can show me that information is accurate, I'll accept it from a Christian website. You can do that by also citing the reliable secular source that it came from, and the data it used.

Or, you can just cite the secular source and its data, and just skip the Christian one.

Fennario

#213509 Feb 20, 2014
The reader has to decide if the information is accurate.
lightbeamrider wrote:
Accurate information is not reader dependent. What part about that are you not getting?
The part where you to call information accurate without validation. Validation is reader dependent.
lightbeamrider wrote:
Faith is anything that is trusted.
I am referring to religious type faith, the only kind I call faith. And it is not "anything that is trusted," but anything accepted as fact without sufficient support.
lightbeamrider wrote:
The article was by a college professor writing within his field.
That doesn't validate it.
lightbeamrider wrote:
It was not vindictive
No, it wasn't. But it was tendentious and inaccurate.

Fennario

#213510 Feb 20, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
if you have problems with the article then the proper thing to do is reference them and explain why you disagree. But to outright dismiss like Rosa did and you did by extension because it has some Christian connection is prejudice pure and simple. Which is fine. You need to take responsibility for what you write and not do flip flops or introduce alien material as justification.
If you want you want to change a mind, you need to use material that can do that. You've been told by several of us what the reputation of apologetics sites is. You've been told by me how to get around that if you have accurate information. You can consider what we say and have a chance to reach us if that is your goal, or continue citing sources that we have told you we don't trust. That seems like a waste of time to me.

And you can go on arguing that we are bigots or should feel otherwise, but that is also a waste of time. Experience matters. The apologists' reputation as a class is shot. If any of you want to be taken seriously, you'll need credible evidence supporting compelling arguments. That's how we roll.

Location hidden

#213511 Feb 20, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
And how many times have you mentioned Hitler, etal. in relation to atheism? And your constant posting of the numbers you claim have been killed in the name of atheism?
Sure...you didn't say those exact words. But you said their equivalent.
Which makes you a lying bastard.
That's not what you claimed, dumbass.

You claimed I blamed all atheists.

Produce it. Liar.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#213512 Feb 20, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
You are still a lying POS like the rest of the Christ-stains here.
Yes, I know.

You shouldn't have participated in illegal intravenous drug use....

Location hidden

#213513 Feb 20, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
I can claim that because there are claims made about these gods that do not match with reality, or there are logical contradictions in their stated nature. All of them, the Christian God included.
I can not say definitively there is not some deist sort of god out there, but if there is it really doesn't matter. Such a god does not intervene in human affairs. It, like all other gods, show no effect on the real world.
Buck...I advise you to not try counting lies. You have told so many so often over the past years that they are uncountable. You have no credibility.
No, you cannot.

You cannot claim knowledge of non-existence because someone states a contradiction about it.

You are claiming knowledge you do not have, and cannot have.

In other words, you are lying.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#213514 Feb 20, 2014
<quoted text>
You can't make this god look good. You can only make yourself look bad trying.
The real God or the Topix Atheist! nonexistent but always complained about god?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#213515 Feb 20, 2014
Not two wrongs, but I'm pretty sure that three lefts do.
The old "Two Wongs make a light" has became scarily true......

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#213516 Feb 20, 2014
I'm much more concerned with the intellectually immoral.

RiversideRedneck wrote:
That baby wouldn't have AIDS if the mom wasn't a slut. That wife wouldn't have AIDS if her husband wasn't cheating trash.
Yeah,. like that.
What was immoral about what I wrote? You have a problem with calling a slut a slut? You have a problem with calling a cheater "cheating trash"?

Do you revel in defending the immoral? Or is it that you don't consider a slut or a cheating husband to be immoral?
But America is a Christian country - for the time being.
You're the one ranting and raving about the decline of religion in America.

Note that the further down religion goes, the higher immorality and evil go.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Consequences of Atheism 4 min ChristineM 812
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 32 min ChristineM 1,663
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 44 min Thinking 16,868
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 56 min Thinking 4,883
What evidence make you believe in God/gods? 1 hr Thinking 27
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 1 hr Thinking 6,057
Turkey blocks website of its first atheist asso... 20 hr Thinking 1
More from around the web