Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255511 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#213646 Feb 20, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
< River shakes her head. Looks up the word compassion in the dictionary. Thumbs past Christianity in her search >
"My spell-checker lacks the word 'creationism' in its dictionary, so each time that word is encountered, an alternative pops up at the bottom of my screen,'cretinism' "-E.T. Babinski
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#213647 Feb 20, 2014
tricki wrote:
No good reason to disbelieve the new testament survives scrutiny. No errors nor contradictions.
Einstein said God is not malicious, just subtle
So what?

atheism still needs no faith
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#213648 Feb 20, 2014
tricki wrote:
“Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord.”–Adolf Hitler (Mein Kampf)
Atheist's proof God exists. Atheists trust Hitler's word and he said he believed in God.
Belief is NOT proof,,,really how DUMB can you kristains get
tricki

Denver, PA

#213649 Feb 20, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Hitler was a godbot-- true.
But that just proves that being a True Believer™ makes you insane.
No. It merely proves beyond a doubt that God is real.
tricki

Denver, PA

#213650 Feb 20, 2014
ChristINSANITY is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
Belief is NOT proof,,,really how DUMB can you kristains get
Silly, who said it was?
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#213651 Feb 20, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not God's fault for the "collateral damage".
It's our fault.
This is a point you're seeming to miss.
IF god made ALL then it's ALL gods fault,even the bad sh!t,

You may comprehend this eventualy,,if you keep trying to THINK

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#213653 Feb 20, 2014
tricki wrote:
<quoted text>
No. It merely proves beyond a doubt that God is real.
Hitler proves that God is real?

You should put that on a billboard.
tricki

Denver, PA

#213654 Feb 20, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand Einstein's POV,
When a lion eats you, it is not malicious, just being a lion. It does not change the fact that you are being killed and eaten by a lion though.
I respect lions and love them. I try not to become their lunch.
Are you sober? Vigilant? Your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
tricki

Denver, PA

#213656 Feb 20, 2014
ChristINSANITY is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
So what?
atheism still needs no faith
Atheism is a religious movement. To believe in the tenets of atheism one must be in her heart a fool.
tricki

Denver, PA

#213657 Feb 20, 2014
"DOJ Declares Atheism A “Religious Movement”, Eligible For Religious Tax Exemptions"

The U.S. Justice Department says in a legal filing leaders of an atheist group qualify for the same housing tax exemption priests receive. UPI Aug. 26, 2013
tricki

Denver, PA

#213658 Feb 20, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Hitler proves that God is real?
You should put that on a billboard.
unnecessary. Topix posters who believe in the faith atheism plaster it frequently here and through other advertising media

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#213659 Feb 20, 2014
tricki wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you sober? Vigilant? Your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
That is why I am not a Christian.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#213660 Feb 20, 2014
tricki wrote:
Atheism is a religious movement.
Is constipation a bowel movement?
tricki wrote:
To believe in the tenets of atheism one must be in her heart a fool.
Atheism has no tenets. There is only the qualification that makes one an atheist.

Accepting claims on faith makes one a fool.

Since: Feb 14

United States

#213661 Feb 20, 2014
Picture Atheism as a fat guy that sits at home watching potato crisps and watching the telly everyday.. You don't expect anything great from him in the future, you don't expect a guy like that to have values or morals because he has no goal in life.. That's the same as Atheism. Its not a religion its just a group of people that think there isint a God somewhere hence they don't have faith,, without faith there is no belief so NO Atheism does NOT require faith .. Don't confuse Atheism with Theoretical Satanism

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#213662 Feb 20, 2014
tricki wrote:
"DOJ Declares Atheism A “Religious Movement”, Eligible For Religious Tax Exemptions"
The U.S. Justice Department says in a legal filing leaders of an atheist group qualify for the same housing tax exemption priests receive. UPI Aug. 26, 2013
That's called a legal fiction.
tricki

Denver, PA

#213663 Feb 20, 2014
Tide with Beach
Is constipation a bowel movement?

tenets of atheism
1. Atheism has no tenets. 2. There is only the qualification that makes one an atheist.
3. Accepting claims on faith makes one a fool.
tricki

Denver, PA

#213664 Feb 20, 2014
shadow_ranger93 wrote:
Picture Atheism as a fat guy that sits at home watching potato crisps and watching the telly everyday.. You don't expect anything great from him in the future, you don't expect a guy like that to have values or morals because he has no goal in life.. That's the same as Atheism. Its not a religion its just a group of people that think there isint a God somewhere hence they don't have faith,, without faith there is no belief so NO Atheism does NOT require faith .. Don't confuse Atheism with Theoretical Satanism
tenets of atheism
1. prejudging by appearance and lifestyle
2. Its not a religion
3. people that think there isint a God (faith. no proof.)
4. without faith there is no belief
5. Atheism does NOT require faith
6. Don't confuse Atheism with Theoretical Satanism
tricki

Denver, PA

#213665 Feb 20, 2014
A recent poll by East China Normal University estimated that 31.4 percent of Chinese 16 or older are religious, putting the number of believers at roughly 400 million.

“I usually make it clear to people that I’m a Catholic at the beginning,” said Zhu Zhaofeng, 27, a salesman at a French-owned luxury goods company who attends services at an unofficial Catholic church.“I don’t want other people to feel strange if I go to worship in churches or on pilgrimage. On the other hand, it is not something I promote.”

Mr. Zhu’s situation represents almost a reversal from that of his father, who spent seven years in prison and in labor camps in the 1950s because his religious beliefs were considered “antirevolutionary.”

His father, Zhu Dafang, now 74 and suffering from Parkinson’s disease, now passes his days in a tiny bedroom in an old house in central Shanghai, surrounded by Catholic reliquaries.

“We don’t hate anyone, and I have no regrets,” he said, of the suffering he endured. Struggling to speak through his tremors, he added,“One must try not to focus on the hardships you endure for faith.”

NYT

By HOWARD W. FRENCH

Published: March 4, 2007
tricki

Denver, PA

#213666 Feb 20, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Hitler was a godbot-- true.
But that just proves that being a True Believer™ makes you insane.
have you thought about working? have you had a job?

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#213667 Feb 21, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
All that lightbeamrider and Riverside Redneck have been able to contribute to the discussion is that information is either accurate or it is not,
That is in response to your assumptions about facts being reader dependent.
The reader has to decide.....according to you. Seems the only way you can validate here is to remove from context. Seems truth is somehow held hostage to readers acknowlegments according to you but i would say truth is discovered not invented or [is truth] in any way reader dependent.
Also you must think your view is equally as valid as a tenured college professor writing within his field. That makes about as much sense as consulting your next door neighbor for a tooth problem as opposed to a dentist. Faulty logic.
and that accurate information is accurate.
Correct. Truth not reader dependent. You left that out. No surprise there. Removing quotes from context.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Religion is the cause of war and most suffering... 6 min Reason Personified 152
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 9 min Brian_G 34,988
There are no such things as gods or fairies 44 min Amused 102
Majority of Scots now have no religion 47 min Amused 163
News How 'new atheists' are just as dangerous as the... 50 min Amused 138
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 50 min An NFL Fan 20,075
News Why I quit atheism 1 hr Cujo 282
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Brian_G 14,935
More from around the web