Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#213231 Feb 19, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Lemme cherry pick this line:
"There you go the n"
WTF?!
Are you still trying to make coherent sentences?
Error, there you go then. another one. So funny how I keep making these sentencing errors eh, it’s as though your god is just sitting there like a monkey on your shoulder and chirruping that you point them out to me

I know I have problems with words as do you, So many good chgristina have already pointed this out to me that there really is no need for a pedantic fook wit to point them out to me. Thanks very much for your appreciation.

PS. What does Lemme mean? Are you trying pr make coherent words?

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#213232 Feb 19, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.
Doesn't have the bottle....
LMMFAO!!
Yes? I knew you were a chicken sh|t yellow streaked godbot, thanks for admitting it

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#213233 Feb 19, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:

Yes.
Doesn't have the bottle....
LMMFAO!!
ChristineM wrote:
Yes? I knew you were a chicken sh|t yellow streaked godbot, thanks for admitting it
You stupid ass, I was mocking you.

WTF is "does not have the bottle"?!
Chris Clearwater

Miami, FL

#213234 Feb 19, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I watched a TV report showing the preacher and parishioners performing their rituals, speaking in tongues as they gyrate and jump up and down.
One look at these folks, and you can begin to understand the problem.
Those folks. Tell us again about what it is you will not stand for? I think your worthless words was you won't suffer something? What a guy.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#213235 Feb 19, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What "problem"?
You sound as bigoted as me when I comment about a gay parade or something.
I'll bet you don't even realize it.
Ever speak in tongues? No? Then you have no idea what you're talking about and you shouldn't be denigrating those that do.
Hypocrite
Ha Ha.

Soooo lame, even for you.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#213236 Feb 19, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
My family, and my home, are quite peaceful.
"When a husband, wife and children all fulfill their God-appointed roles in the family, when they have all committed their lives to Christ and to His service, then peace and harmony will reign in the home."
http://www.gotquestions.org/Christian-family....
Jealousy is one of those seven deadlies, ya know...
So God's appointed role for Mr. Redneck as husband is to hit his six-month-old baby and his wife too?

Some god you've got over there in Riverside.

Make sure you keep him away from civilized people.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#213237 Feb 19, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
All these people you mentioned, and all in the industry now, use autocorrect, a device to alter their pitch when they go out of tune, usually most of the time..
Autotune would be a disaster in blues. Blues guitarists deliberately bend stings to achieve quarter tones (flat notes), and vocals often need to be flat. Anybody who enjoys a voice lik Johnny Cash or Frank Sinatra likes the pitch a little flat, and that includes me.

This may be what you object to in non-digital keyboard instruments (the modern digital/MIDI ones allow continuous pitch modulation). The pitch is simply too perfect. To me, a piano or organ solo can't touch a sax or guitar.

If anyone is interested, I offer you The Allman Brothers doing Stormy Monday Blues live at The Filmore East. The virtuoso of interest here is Duane Allman (Dicky Betts also solos on this recording, but is overshadowed by Duane). Listen to Duane's guitar solo beginning at 3:35 at

The very first note at 3:35 is a slow, sleazy, moaning bend to a flat note (bending is stretching a string to make it more taught and raise the pitch), followed by five stacatto notes (notes separated by tiny silent spaces). Another example of a tormented note follows at 4:08

About 4:35, the guitaring changes for a few seconds - it's suffering as before, but awaking and becoming agitated. After calming down again a bit, the guitar begins whining once again with about four flat bends with prolonged sound (sustain).

At 4:58, the guitar begins crying life a baby with a series of staccato flat bends that still bring tears to my eyes. Ouch!

For contrast, listen on to Gregg Almann's organ solo beginning immediately thereafter at 5:14. Call me a bigot, but I consider that an anticlimax. It sounds like a circus to me - "Welcome to the big top!" I expect to see a horse running in circles with a monkey or a dog standing up on its back.

If people are still interested, listen through until Dicky Betts comes in for the second guitar solo at 6:03, which in my opinion, just languishes like the keyboard solo through the first 12-bar cycle. Dicky comes alive in his second 12-bars beginning at 6:51, when he begins the soulful string bending.

Anyway, I appreciate both the musicianship and the electronics. Electric guitars bring in a distortion that can't be achieved on an acoustic guitar. These same guitar solos would sound nothing like this on a Spanish guitar.

What do you say, blacklagoon? And anybody else - musician or audiophile.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#213238 Feb 19, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
So God's appointed role for Mr. Redneck as husband is to hit his six-month-old baby and his wife too?
Some god you've got over there in Riverside.
Make sure you keep him away from civilized people.
Ah yes. Catcher's "civilized" people.

Not anyone in "dusty" Riverside....

Not anyone in black neighborhoods.

Not anyone who sweats for a living.

Not mechanics.

Not farmers.

Just wine drinking, vacationing, sports car driving "civilized" people.

No thanks.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#213239 Feb 19, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
Ha Ha.
Soooo lame, even for you.
HA HA

You lose.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#213240 Feb 19, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Error, there you go then. another one. So funny how I keep making these sentencing errors eh, it’s as though your god is just sitting there like a monkey on your shoulder and chirruping that you point them out to me
I know I have problems with words as do you, So many good chgristina have already pointed this out to me that there really is no need for a pedantic fook wit to point them out to me. Thanks very much for your appreciation.
PS. What does Lemme mean? Are you trying pr make coherent words?
"Lemme" is an informal contradiction for "let me".

PS. What does "chgristina" mean?

PSS. What does "no need for a pedantic fook wit to point them out" mean?

“Don't try to goad me...”

Since: Nov 07

... I'm a goadless heathen.

#213241 Feb 19, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Yes you do "paint" with a new magical instrument, one that strips all of humanity from the "painting' A series of numbers assigned sounds, these sounds are devoid of expression, the time frame they are played in are constant and unmoving, no room for individual expression as you would get with a rhythm section of humans, were the "time" is a SHARED, experience. It moves almost undetected, yet it moves, ebbs and flows, breaths, something robotic click tracts can never accomplish. No mater what you do, the music will always be cold and impersonal, like any other machine. It performs a function perfectly, flawless in its presentation, and that is the problem, humans are not perfect, there is always some flaws in a performance, slight intonation differences, time lags, missed phrasing, but thats what makes music human. Anxiously waiting to hear if the strings make that incredible 4 octave run in thirty second notes, will the horns waver on that long sustained hight note, will the trumpet nail that high note after the octave leap. With your electronically generated music, none of that is a concern, it will be flawless and automatic, thereby removing ALL of the human elements from the performance.
A cold hard calculating realm of electronic sounds,devoid of all human elements, this is your future, enjoy it. I'll be jamming with real humans, instantly creating melodies and harmonies, some will be wrong, some will work, other not, but its the experience thats important, something you have yet to learn, and it appears it's something you will never learn, I do kind of pity you. Good luck amateur!!
I imagine a similar sort of debate occurring when Kodak first made photography accessible to the general public by releasing easy-load push-button cameras and doing the post processing. There will have been those who exclaimed that all of the artistry and creativity was being stripped away in favour of mass-produced imagery.

Of course, today the vast majority of photos taken are dismissable snapshots, but there is also an unquestionable photographic art - appreciated alongside other visual media, but never in competition or comparison.

I agree that the accessibility of electronic devices allows (even encourages) anyone to produce unsophisticated electronic burps and farts, but isn't it possible that electronic music will develop as its own distinct acoustic art form with its own masters of the medium? Perhaps it already has - though none come to mind.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#213242 Feb 19, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
I like debunking pedophiles as well, including christian ones.
People need to know that christianity is a vile disease upon humanity.
A worthy cause by anyone's standards (except for pedophiles, obviously)

And yes-- it *is* a disease-- a mental disease.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#213243 Feb 19, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>If a kind, loving, just and compassionate God exited, no child would ever die from cancer. Nor would thousand each and every day die a horrible death from starvation.
Correct.

This god-preventable evil, is 100% certain proof there are no gods who care.

Anywhere.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#213244 Feb 19, 2014
andet1987 wrote:
<quoted text>
and if no one dies, where are you going to find a space to live ? where are you going to find your next meal ? someone has to die to make the world a better place to live. death is not bad at all. it only means, that we have to balance the world population in accordance with earth's capacity to feed and maintain it inhabitants.
stop blaming God if someone dies. death is natural.
suppose nobody dies. the world will be over populated. there will be chaos, people fighting for food, space to live, etc.
be open minded Blacklagoon. be peaceful with God and nature. ok ?
You like death so much?

YOU die for your hideous monster-god.

Go ahead-- PROVE that you really believe in your "heaven" -- and go there.

You won't-- you are just another hypocrite.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#213245 Feb 19, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Dying is one thing, gratuitous suffering especially of young children is quite another.
See anymore dry spots on the ground?
Yep.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#213246 Feb 19, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Now that was a good essay.
When I read the Quran, what struck me was how many of the stories are similar to the ones in the Bible. Yet the 2 religions have been @ each others' throats, right back from the time of the Crusades...and it goes on.
That *is* the nature of True Belief™-- you are required to hate anyone who isn't a member (of your cult)

;)

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#213247 Feb 19, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> The source does not matter if the information is correct.
But.

Your information is 100% lies.

Soo....

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#213248 Feb 19, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Prove it quaalude bob. Prove the divorce rate is higher than the lesbo divorce rate.
http://bigthink.com/dollars-and-sex/are-lesbi...
Google "DIVORCE RATE RELIGIOUS AFFILIATION"

You will see, that among the Genuine Christians™, it is the **highest** in the world, as compared to any other demographic.

This is well known.

Your ugly religion actually PROMOTES DIVORCE.

Likely because it's based on bullshit, and you cannot have a **working** life, based on bullshit....

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#213249 Feb 19, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Prove it quaalude bob.
Did your Jesus command you to call me "quaalude bob"?

Such a display of that Genuine Christians Love™.

(psst: most folk call that hate, by the way...)

(psst: you **reek** of hate, actually)

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#213250 Feb 19, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
You like death so much?
YOU die for your hideous monster-god.
Go ahead-- PROVE that you really believe in your "heaven" -- and go there.
That's gotta be one of the most stupid Topix Atheist! argument there is. Here, lemme reverse it for ya.

Why don't you find out once and for all that there is no Heaven. Go ahead and die and prove you and your Topix Atheists! brothers right.

Derp to the nth degree....

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 9 min NoahLovesU 14,432
Christianity Created Hitler 45 min Uncle Sam 79
why? 2 hr geezerjock 1
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 2 hr thetruth 39
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 2 hr thetruth 274
Our world came from nothing? (Jul '14) 5 hr thetruth 1,225
Richard Dawkins needs to get a life 8 hr Thinking 17
More from around the web