Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
204,601 - 204,620 of 225,625 Comments Last updated 15 min ago

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I did no such thing. My challenge has always been to equate the present violence of Islam to Christian behavior.
If the character of Christianity is as you claim, let alone identical to Islam, it should be no problem.
Smile.
.. the Restoration of the Ten Commands in Uganda is but one of the violent events involving Christianity at the turn of the 20th-Century. How about Christian mobs recently killing Muslims in Central African Republic or Syria? Need I mention 9-11 ??..

.. religion and violence are woven together in history’s tapestries. What makes you think that will ever change ??..

.. you consider Jesus divine, right? When posters declaim or desecrate your belief, you probably experience moral outrage. That's understandable, that's what infuses anger ..

.. groups like Focus On The Family use 'sacred' issues like SSM and abortion to rally the troops and infuse anger which ultimately leads to some form of violence (i.e.: murdering abortion physicians or gays). At some point, violence is intractable ..

.. if all you read is literature aimed at what you consider sacred, the spirit and mind can easily become confused and corrupted. This is the goal of groups like Focus On The Family ..

.. this thread tries to respond to such groups by presenting a balanced, well-researched perspective. Can you blame them? They're trying to find another way to circumvent violence. Isn't that good ??..
Anon

Lakewood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see it that way. I don't see deception everywhere.
Probably because I'm honest and I naively assume others are honest, too.
How noble of you. Still, reality suggests otherwise...

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

Judged:

lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> How can you be so dense. The Rabbi uses archeological evidence as indicated here.
----------
All this changed with the turn of a shovel. Recent archaeological finds have clearly demonstrated that the camel was domesticated by the 18th century BCE.
Prof. Kenneth Kitchen, an Egyptologist at the University of Liverpool (retired) has pointed out that the sale of Joseph to a caravan of Midianites should have been another example of anachronism in the Torah. Joseph was sold for 20 silver pieces. A thousand years later the price for a slave was much higher (ancient inflation). However, the price reported in the Torah matches precisely the going price of slaves in the region from Joseph's time period. This is just one example which demonstrates, according to Kitchen that "it's more reasonable to assume that the biblical data reflect reality
----------
Regarding your statement about using the Bible to prove the Bible is true ignores the fact critics use the Bible to falsify the Bible. Also ignored is the fact the Bible is a collection of writings and not a single book. So yes you can use the bible to either validate or discredit. You can use the Old to fact check from the New.
You are hopelessly stupid.
You're more than willing to take the word of a Rabbi when it comes to something you want to assert as factual in your religious myth.

But you'll completely discount - the same Rabbi http://judaism.about.com/library/3_askrabbi_o... - or another Rabbi http://www.aish.com/jl/li/m/48944241.html if what they say counters your personal mythic belief.

You don't have to answer, I know, I know, I know... I'm a blasphemer!

Christians are comical.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

Zachary Gima wrote:
Is that sort of like, stay out of the Congo so you won't contract Malaria?
LOL

Sure, that works...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
No, I am not anti-abortion.
So you're ok with millions of potential babies being killed every time your lady swallows?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
You are stupid aren't you? I cited your holy book and the words ASSOCIATED with your God. Different from "I cited God." Yes I know, the difference is difficult for you to grasp, but keep trying!!!!!
That's a helluva corner you've painted yourself into, my man.

First you quote Jesus saying we can get bitten by snakes and it's ok but when I quote Jesus showing that you're misunderstanding what you're reading, you get all pissy and argue "who cares what the bible says!"

Funny...
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

OG Kush wrote:
<quoted text>
You described yourself perfectly, you really don't understand it do you?
you can handcrank a model T and it'll run it but it doesn't mean it's a Mercedes.
Try to be a real composer instead of a second-tier trumpet player - try having access to literally hundreds of thousands of tones composing entire orchestration and when you're done it'll sound like hundreds of musicians playing . do that with your trumpet then I'll be impressed.
Even the B3 has become electronic haven't you noticed? Forget Wersi, think tyros think any number of companies that make synthesizers.
There's a product, he could be fossilized now, but is called 'band in a box'. I suggest you educate yourself on what you can do with electronic music.
By trying this simple piece of software. For amateurs in the world of music it's a godsend.
Synthesizers are the wave of the future
I'm sure you mean well but you're thinking is rather Antiquated.
Teachers should move their students forward into the future not backward into the past like religion.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
I see, you're advocating being lazy and letting a machine do all the work for you. I am a composer, and realize that removing all of the elements that make a composer what he is, is not only wrong, but counterproductive. Unless you yourself are a composer it would be difficult for you to understand. Having all of the work done for you, as in the program you're talking about, rob you of internalizing the music. You never learn the ranges and characteristics of each instrument, you never learn the dynamic possibilities given a specific range. You never learn about mixed orchestration, how different instruments sound when mixed together. How those sounds become different when octave unisons are used. So in the end you NEVER fully understand the art of orchestration. Further problems arise when the person using this program listens to the playback. A real composer recognizes that the computer is lying to them, that is NOT what horns, woodwinds and strings actually sound like. You are receiving false information and basing your musical choices on this false information.

For a musical hack like you, or anyone that thinks they can become an instance composer of serious music, then this is the program for you. For those of us who are serious about composing, and cherish the art of composition, these programs are worthless. That is exactly why I forbid my students form using the computer or any other programs to compose their music, I know how much it robs them, I know the false information they would receive, and more important how it robs their ears, they would no longer have to rely on their ears to hear the music, it's already done for them, and it robs them of internalizing their music.

Using these music programs means:

1.) Loss of internalizing the music

2.) Contributes to the inability to "hear" in your head, the music.

3.) Contributes to the extreme lack of knowledge about orchestration.

4.) Delivers false information regarding the sounds of all instruments

5) Contributes to the inability to understand the dynamic ranges for which the instruments are capable of playing within a specific register

6.) Contributes to the lack of knowledge concerning mixed orchestration.

7.) Robs the composer of hearing melody harmony relationships, and being about to "pre-hear" these relationships.

8.) Contributes to the lack of understanding the effects of various articulations.

9.) Contributes to the lack of understanding breathing issues with wind players and bow directions with string players

10.) Limits the landscape that a composer can observe, programs limit it to 8 bars on the screen. A composer working with a hand written score can see 16 to 32 bar of score.

Seems like an awful lot of negative aspects for your program

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

RiversideRedneck wrote:
Mrs RR & I did our taxes last week. There's no more "husband" and "wife", there's now "taxpayer1" and "taxpayer2". The IRS did that to avoid confusion due to all the states where SSM is now legal....
I'm not sure why that bothers you since you've claimed the basis of marriage is a sacred, or sanctified, union, according to religious beliefs and isn't a contractual arrangement.

Isn't it just enough that you're married in the eye(S) of your deity? Sanctified and holy?
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're ok with millions of potential babies being killed every time your lady swallows?
I certainly am, and enjoy every moment, don't you?

“Ungood doubleplus duckspeak.”

Since: Dec 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>I just call it like it is.

A secretary is a secretary, not an administrative assistant.

A janitor is a janitor, not a sanitation technician.

A wife biting you in the chest out of anger is a bitch, not a wife.
A sanctified bi!ch?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

Judged:

scaritual wrote:
I'm not sure why that bothers you since you've claimed the basis of marriage is a sacred, or sanctified, union, according to religious beliefs and isn't a contractual arrangement.
Isn't it just enough that you're married in the eye(S) of your deity? Sanctified and holy?
You make a pretty good point there, scarscar.

In the eyes of God it doesn't matter.

It just feels shitty to be reduced from "husband" to "taxpayer1" to suit the needs of people, like some here, that think marriage is just a legal contract.

Change isn't easy, I guess.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
I certainly am, and enjoy every moment, don't you?
Naw...

I usually throw the babies on her face or watch them spill down her back....

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, very clever until you look at the second link that comes up;
http://withalliamgod.wordpress.com/2011/01/21 ...
Bazinga!
<quoted text>
You respond to an exposed lie with a diversion?
You need to apologize.
What you supplied was a refutation based upon an unclaimed exact copy of your religious mythology. It was a straw man argument/refutation.

No one claims Christianity is an - exact copy - of a previously existing mythology.

Concepts and elements within the other mythologies are pointed out, and it's noted that the Christian mythology shares similarities or common themes with an older mythology - which is a trademark of mythologies, they borrow from older mythologies - that existed before Christianity.

That's a disingenuous Christian tactic in responding to those observations that Christianity shares similarities with preexisting mythic beliefs.

Christians alter the observations made by scholars that point out those common elements, trying to change those observations to a claim of Christianity being an exact copy of other mythologies.

That isn't the case.
OG Kush

Astatula, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I see, you're advocating being lazy and letting a machine do all the work for you. I am a composer, and realize that removing all of the elements that make a composer what he is, is not only wrong, but counterproductive. Unless you yourself are a composer it would be difficult for you to understand.

For a musical hack like you, or anyone that thinks they can become an instance composer of serious music, then this is the program for you.

Using these music programs means:
1.) Loss of internalizing the music
2.) Contributes to the inability to "hear" in your head, the music.
3.) Contributes to the extreme lack of knowledge about orchestration.
4.) Delivers false information regarding the sounds of all instruments
5) Contributes to the inability to understand the dynamic ranges for which the instruments are capable of playing within a specific register
6.) Contributes to the lack of knowledge concerning mixed orchestration.
7.) Robs the composer of hearing melody harmony relationships, and being about to "pre-hear" these relationships.
8.) Contributes to the lack of understanding the effects of various articulations.
9.) Contributes to the lack of understanding breathing issues with wind players and bow directions with string players
10.) Limits the landscape that a composer can observe, programs limit it to 8 bars on the screen. A composer working with a hand written score can see 16 to 32 bar of score.
Seems like an awful lot of negative aspects for your program
Yeah way too negative and antiquated to suit my needs.

Electronic Music producers get to work with audio engineers and musicians to get the best our of their sound an put it on a record, sound technicians have to make sure the music is on par, and audio engineers get to actually record artists.

This is an excellent job, though very in-depth and requires many skills. There have been so many success stories in this industry as well. Simon Cowell, Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, Missy Elliot, Brian Eno, Randy Jackson, Jay-Z, Timbaland, and many others have mastered this area of work and made a very good salary in doing so.

Music schools can give budding producers, sound technicians or audio engineers a leg up. Going to a four year college for this purpose is difficult for most people because of the time it takes and how expensive it is. Plus, in four year colleges, you may earn a degree, but never have any hands-on practice in your field.

Many attend one or two year programs that specialize in production and audio engineering. This is an excellent choice because these technical schools have so many advantages, such as being cost and time efficient and having many helpful job placement programs for students.

There are programs where students can work in real studios every day instead of a classroom setting. Most people teaching are professions in their field and will be imparting first-hand information to their students.

Technical schools are also supplied with the latest equipment because technical schools realize that students can not go out into the workforce not knowing the latest technology.

Certain programs have mentoring programs, where they will send you to work with a real music producer, audio or sound engineer, or sound technician and learn the industry first hand.
Electronic Music producers especially must know so many subjects in depth, such as music theory, the songwriting process, mixing and editing, working with musicians and engineers, and using sound effects and samples to better the song.

Learn to teach your students the future professor you'll be a better teacher for it.

Remember the richest child is poor without music

“Truth and kindness”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

Judged:

OG Kush wrote:
<quoted text>
You're living in the world of the past musically.
Of course there's nothing wrong with this but electronic music is the future.
The technology is still in its infancy yet we have human voice coming out of electronic instruments.
You must not get out very much there's a whole world of electronics that have been bypassed.
So feel free to pick your banjo remember the good old days of Carlos Montoya and Andre Segovia on the acoustic guitar. For rock Yngwie Malmsteen.
Revel in the magic of Maynard Ferguson and Arturo Sandoval on your much beloved trumpet.
But in the end run... electronic music will dominate.
Electronic music will have its place, but a real artist and a real instrument will always have a place in peoples heart and soul. Music comes from the heart and every musician brings it out of his chosen instrument. His, nobody elses. Everybody on the planet can tell the difference between the guitar music of say Eric Clapton and B.B. King. Electronic just cant do that.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

OG Kush wrote:
<quoted text>
You described yourself perfectly, you really don't understand it do you?
you can handcrank a model T and it'll run it but it doesn't mean it's a Mercedes.
Try to be a real composer instead of a second-tier trumpet player - try having access to literally hundreds of thousands of tones composing entire orchestration and when you're done it'll sound like hundreds of musicians playing . do that with your trumpet then I'll be impressed.
Even the B3 has become electronic haven't you noticed? Forget Wersi, think tyros think any number of companies that make synthesizers.
There's a product, he could be fossilized now, but is called 'band in a box'. I suggest you educate yourself on what you can do with electronic music.
By trying this simple piece of software. For amateurs in the world of music it's a godsend.
Synthesizers are the wave of the future
I'm sure you mean well but you're thinking is rather Antiquated.
Teachers should move their students forward into the future not backward into the past like religion.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
FACT, before a student can move forward into the future, he MUST learn about the past, the tradition, the body of work by the giants, without which, the future becomes meaningless.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

Judged:

OG Kush wrote:
There have been so many success stories in this industry as well. Simon Cowell, Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, Missy Elliot, Brian Eno, Randy Jackson, Jay-Z, Timbaland,
None of those people make music or are musical artists.

Just sayin.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>FACT, before a student can move forward into the future, he MUST learn about the past, the tradition, the body of work by the giants, without which, the future becomes meaningless.
I seriously doubt that people like Snoop Dogg or Simon Cowell care much about the true artistry of music.

“Don't try to goad me...”

Since: Nov 07

... I'm a goadless heathen.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Some good points. If you had a choice of dancing to "emotionless" electronic music, or a live band playing the kind of music you like to dance to, which would you choose? Would you not find the experience of interacting with human musicians far more attractive than a DJ playing electronic music"
Shouldn't music, like any other art, be appreciated for the emotional reaction it inspires in the listener, regardless of genre, era or instrument?" I would think that would be true, but doesn't it depend on your standards? You can certainly dance to someone banging two rocks together creating a beat, and maybe another hitting a hollow tree stump with a stick. You can look at a stick figure and call it a work of art, or you can look at art work by some of the masters, same thing with literature and music. What are your expectations for the art form, what standards do you have, what is it that inspires you. If looking at stick figures and listening to two rocks being smashed together inspires you then fine, those are your standards, a no one should find fault with that.
As a creative person and one who enjoys listening to substantial creative endeavors, for music my standards are very high. It's the same with the art work I enjoy and that inspires me.
Now you have me thinking about music as a performance art vs. music as something you hear.

I don't particularly appreciate concerts, but only because I'm not comfortable amongst large masses of people. However...

- I went to see a group I enjoy in an intimate setting, and yes, I much preferred the experience to listening to their recordings, even though the songs were the same.
- I can very much enjoy the performance of a DJ who shows skill in animating and electrifying his crowd, as well as a good "body performance"
- Similarly, I can imagine even rocks and tree stumps could being played in a way to move people emotionally (who is that group that plays garbage cans and rubber boots?). If that makes me a musical trog, then I suppose that's me.
- "Would you not find the experience of interacting with human musicians far more attractive than a DJ playing electronic music" This made me wonder. Do you similarly dismiss recordings of non-electronic music? Are you a purist for the performance aspect or for the instrument(s) played?

At one time, perhaps rocks and hollow sticks and tightly-pulled innards were all we had. I wonder if anyone decried the appearance of drumsticks and valves and tuners.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

OG Kush wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah way too negative and antiquated to suit my needs.
Electronic Music producers get to work with audio engineers and musicians to get the best our of their sound an put it on a record, sound technicians have to make sure the music is on par, and audio engineers get to actually record artists.
This is an excellent job, though very in-depth and requires many skills. There have been so many success stories in this industry as well. Simon Cowell, Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, Missy Elliot, Brian Eno, Randy Jackson, Jay-Z, Timbaland, and many others have mastered this area of work and made a very good salary in doing so.
Music schools can give budding producers, sound technicians or audio engineers a leg up. Going to a four year college for this purpose is difficult for most people because of the time it takes and how expensive it is. Plus, in four year colleges, you may earn a degree, but never have any hands-on practice in your field.
Many attend one or two year programs that specialize in production and audio engineering. This is an excellent choice because these technical schools have so many advantages, such as being cost and time efficient and having many helpful job placement programs for students.
There are programs where students can work in real studios every day instead of a classroom setting. Most people teaching are professions in their field and will be imparting first-hand information to their students.
Technical schools are also supplied with the latest equipment because technical schools realize that students can not go out into the workforce not knowing the latest technology.
Certain programs have mentoring programs, where they will send you to work with a real music producer, audio or sound engineer, or sound technician and learn the industry first hand.
Electronic Music producers especially must know so many subjects in depth, such as music theory, the songwriting process, mixing and editing, working with musicians and engineers, and using sound effects and samples to better the song.
Learn to teach your students the future professor you'll be a better teacher for it.
Remember the richest child is poor without music
All these people you mentioned, and all in the industry now, use autocorrect, a device to alter their pitch when they go out of tune, usually most of the time. So you precious technology allows performers to basically cheat. Not how to sing in tune and phrase properly, that would take years of study and cut into their profit margins. Learn how to project your voice? Unnecessary, electronic will take care of that, dynamic ranges, unheard of from the people you mentioned.

So now we bring to the forefront how electronics replaces talent:

1.) Autotune during a performance, no longer necessary to develope good pitch control.

2.) Vocal quality during a performance, no longer a concern, electronics will cover your flaws

3.) Melodic phrasing, not important in most popular styles of music.

4.) Dynamic range, not important in most popular music.

RESULT, anyone who can remember some lyrics can set themselves up with all the latest technology and perform in front of thousands, and sound pretty good, at least good for that simplistic style of music.

Wonderful, your "wave of the future" has stripped all skill and craft out of vocalists. They no longer need to develope their ears, work on sound projection, spend countless hours working on vocal quality and proper breathing techniques, and how to deliver the lyrics. Why study and devote time to developing a graft when electronics can do it for you. Wonderful future you have there, I'll stick to the human element were dedication and passions are still the important factors.

As I said before, you have lowered your standards of excellence to a low never imagined, and you're right in step with the general music consumer, fortunately there will always be the small percentage of people who still want humanity in their music.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••