Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Jul 18, 2009, Webbunny tumblelog story titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#212955 Feb 17, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>Tolkien elves, yes. Santa elves, no.
Lol.

I agree, the whole santa elves premise is creepy and indicative of child slave labour, then, the santa wants kids to sit on his lap.

:/

Location hidden

#212956 Feb 17, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>Obviously, he had a vorpal bow of elephant-slaying.

And I love the comment: "that still only counts as one"

:D
Hells yes!

Legolas rocks!

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#212957 Feb 17, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think synthesized music is as difficult nor as creative as acoustic music. Tico Tico played on a wind instrument, especially a brass, is much more difficult that this Wersi bullshit. The skill it takes to play this on a trumpet for example, is 100 times more difficult and in the end much more HUMAN. Electronic expression, if there is such a thing, cannot, nor never will, rival human expression in music.
Yes, I very much enjoy Oscar, worship? no, I don't worship anything or anyone, I marvel at their skills and creativity and how they transfer that to the listener.
Regarding human sounding instruments, what an interesting topic. Some instruments can just moan. Not a harp or a harpsichord, but a sax, or a harmonica, or an electric guitar - especially slide guitar. And yet a pedal steel guitar, though beautiful, never becomes as plaintive (moaning low) as a great slide electric guitar. Trumpet can sound soulful as well, and slide trombone. Oboe and clarinet have their moments.

Which brings us to violin - River Tam's instrument. I'll leave it to you two to tell us about how a violin can be human the way drums and banjo can't, even though both of those instruments can be played breath-takingly with great skill and musicality - but not in a human sounding way..

Location hidden

#212958 Feb 17, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>I always thought it was legal for a man to slap his wife on her half moons.
You had a thought? Prove it.

Fyi, ar ar hit his ex wife that he divorced, on the head.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#212959 Feb 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh-huh.... Smart feller, indeed... "Sanctity is a human invention".....
What word isn't a human invention, man?
And where are you getting off telling me that I disrespect gays? In what ways do I disrespect them?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
And where are you getting off telling me that I disrespect gays? In what ways do I disrespect them?
.. welcome home RR; we all missed you ..

.. either you're a bit prejudice against gays (mediocre bigot) or I'm overly sensitive ..

.. cant decide which one ..

.. but, unequivocally, you are a prime specimen for the sociological study of misogyny and racial bigotry ..

.. and, a bible thumper ..

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#212960 Feb 17, 2014
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#212961 Feb 17, 2014
OG Kush wrote:
<quoted text>
Nonsensical?
Perhaps you should invest in electronic instruments stock since most Recording studios and bands and entertainers and nightclubs today use them. Does rap - barf - gag - ring a bell?
And you're completely wrong about the quality of musicianship based on trumpet one note playing.
A skilled keyboardist playing a Wersi must play bass with his feet, his hands mix all sorts of sounds together on three different keyboards all at the same time - while you can concentrate on one line. Wow! Dazzling this is not.
Virtual reality and 3-D A/V are right around the corner professor Bunny Berrigan - you are a dinosaur in a new emerging age of exciting sound video technology.
The emotion involved in virtual-reality immersion will surpass anything achieved to date.
I freely admitted that the music industry, due to the very low standards of the casual listener, has sacrificed the artistic excellence and the human "touch" it once possessed. You consider that a good thing, since you also must have extremely low standards as far as artistic excellence is concerned. So be my guest, join the new and exciting world of passionless, devoid of all human traits, robotic number series turned into meaningless electronic sounds. Don't forget the robotic like rhythm tracts that sound so inhuman, never wavering, never revealing any hint of humanity.

The Wersi, is no different from a Hammond B3 Organ, I worked many an organ trio, so I know full well what it takes to play one. My aunt Blanch and both Uncles played the organ, no different from you warsi, they learned i no time and could navigate through some pretty complex tunes. I actually played around with the organ using the piano skills I had, and within a few hours could play a bass line with my feet, chords on one bank and a melody on the other, not very difficult. Anyone with some basic keyboard knowledge could function very well on your warsi, at least on a basic level. Now take someone a put a trumpet, or trombone, or any of the brass instruments, in their hands and ask them to just produce a sound. You'll get some farting noises but thats it. A simple melody played on a trumpet with even a passable sound will take months if not years to accomplish, I can teach my 4 year old granddaughter to play a melody on a warsi in a very short period of time, so you are DEAD WRONG about the difficulty level.

You talk like a rank amateur, someone who knows very little about music, but fluffs themselves up as some sort of expert on the subject.

Technological advancements are a wonderful thing, I enjoy watching how technology, especially in music, has developed and is still developing. In many things technology is extremely desirable, in music however, there is still the artistic component that is more valuable than any advancements in technology.

The music for the masses has never been where true creativity was found, but enough people who understand that music is an art form, and is used to project human emotions and illicit emotional responses will continue to seek out music produced by humans and not machines.

Location hidden

#212962 Feb 17, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>Doc, We’re talking about cats.

Fat cats, skinny cats, rich cats, poor cats, clawed and de-clawed cats. They don’t believe in God. But they have been known to hit the church dumpster on occasion.
I bet the cats don't get thought modification, judgemental lectures about believing in non existent entities.

Like the poor humans who receive from christian dumpsters.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#212963 Feb 17, 2014
Cvvl wrote:
<quoted text>
Just a comment / question from the musically illiterate peanut gallery, but aren't you both making some pretty broad sweeping (and thereby unfair) statements?
In the office I always have a jazz station playing, because I can enjoy the music without finding it distracting.
On the other hand, any time Vivaldi is played I am in a complete trance until the piece ends... not conducive to working... or dancing.
If I want to dance, there is nothing like that "emotionless" electronic music to get me jumpin' and hootin'.
Shouldn't music, like any other art, be appreciated for the emotional reaction it inspires in the listener, regardless of genre, era or instrument?
Some good points. If you had a choice of dancing to "emotionless" electronic music, or a live band playing the kind of music you like to dance to, which would you choose? Would you not find the experience of interacting with human musicians far more attractive than a DJ playing electronic music"

Shouldn't music, like any other art, be appreciated for the emotional reaction it inspires in the listener, regardless of genre, era or instrument?" I would think that would be true, but doesn't it depend on your standards? You can certainly dance to someone banging two rocks together creating a beat, and maybe another hitting a hollow tree stump with a stick. You can look at a stick figure and call it a work of art, or you can look at art work by some of the masters, same thing with literature and music. What are your expectations for the art form, what standards do you have, what is it that inspires you. If looking at stick figures and listening to two rocks being smashed together inspires you then fine, those are your standards, a no one should find fault with that.

As a creative person and one who enjoys listening to substantial creative endeavors, for music my standards are very high. It's the same with the art work I enjoy and that inspires me.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#212964 Feb 17, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
You've become tiresome with this defense. Of course we scoff at you and your faith. Don't make it so tempting.
And that comment was hardly empty. Nor was it scoffing. It was a simple declarative sentence that was neither derisive nor mocking.
<quoted text>
Faith is by definition without substance. As soon as you support a faith based idea, it becomes evidence and reason based.
<quoted text>
I don't know what you're saying in the last half of that sentence, but what I said is that there is no reason to believe that you have any other motive than saving your soul.
<quoted text>
Spare me. For an unbeliever, unwitnessed good behavior is its own reward. You can't expect others to believe that somebody who expects to go to heaven or hell based on his earthly activities - all of which he believes are watched, judged and tallied - doesn't consider his every action in that light. That's as unrealistic as an employee saying that doing a good job is its own reward, and that his paycheck is not the reward of working, but is a gift.
Also, next time you claim that others don't know what you believe, try to think back to the dozens of your posts like this one.
You don't scoff because I make it easy, you scoff because that is all you have. You have no possible way of knowing my motives for benevolence. Moreover, Christian benevolence exposes the deprivation of atheistic character and shames you.

Christians express their faith by their works. That is why you are so desperate to disparage them. Again you show your ignorance. There is a vast distinction between earning your salvation and the grateful response to a gift you have no way of obtaining much less earning.

Again, because I know what I am talking about when discussing these things, it does nothing to affirm my belief system.

Now, how do you address the fulfilled prophesies I noted?

Location hidden

#212965 Feb 17, 2014
<quoted text>
You're wrong.
<quoted text>
I've already provided several links. Then I did the footwork for one of them, Attis: http://lmgtfy.com/...
If you need more, Google the others yourself.
<quoted text>
Why do you continually question people scoffing at you when you make an extra effort in most posts to be repulsive? That's your purpose for adding this word, is it not?
LOL, very clever until you look at the second link that comes up;

http://withalliamgod.wordpress.com/2011/01/21...

Bazinga!

Location hidden

#212966 Feb 17, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Still wrong. See above. And look up the word "equate." I would never equate the religious prophecies with scientific prophecies. They're not in the same league.
<quoted text>
The Alien?
I said that they are not quality prophecy, not that they aren't valid. Here's another valid prophecy, also of low quality: it will be dark tomorrow night.
Look - if you're going to ignore the meanings of words like "equate," which does not mean the same thing as either compare or contrast, and disregard the difference between a mundane prediction and a quality prophecy, including the criteria for quality prophecy, there is no basis for communication, and no point in continuing.
All that is in it for me is having to repeat myself, and there is no reason for me to continue doing that. I've made my points, and you've had you chance to rebut them. If you have nothing else to add, it's time to move on.
Look, you cannot admit that a whole culture and the most significant religion in human history are quality prophecies. I get it. In fact, I got it long ago. I just like twisting the knife in your denial.

Smile.

Location hidden

#212967 Feb 17, 2014
KiMare wrote:
If that were true, why did you not specifically address the points? And the one you did mention, you censored the specific point of it being created out of nothing as the Big Bang Theory asserts.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Talking to you is like talking to a wall.
Your myth has almost no overlap with science except that the universe and life had a beginning, like every other creation myth. I don't intend to repeat that again.
You, on the other hand, ignored all of my points listed above, every one of which your myth missed.
<quoted text>
Do you suppose the Alien ever smirks at you?
You never answered my question about what you think faith and religion have done for you, especially with regards to your intellect, character and personality. Has it made you a better person in any of those areas?
Still can't address the points? Now you want to change the subject of the discussion and attack me personally? I'm shocked!

Smile.

Location hidden

#212968 Feb 17, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Gay couples have a piece of paper claiming that your mutually sterile, pointlessly duplicate gendered relationship equates to marriage. That distinction bothers you immensely, in spite of your claim otherwise. You know as well as I do that nothing can change the inferior status of your relationship. It is visibly a counterfeit, scientifically defective mating behavior, factually fallacious and socially a forced sympathy to denial. Smile.

The system that put such ideas in your head can't disappear from the world soon enough. A man who speaks like you do has nothing to say to decent people.

KiMare wrote:
Oh please, be specific, what ideas are you speaking of?
Smile.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
The ones that preceded my comment. They're disgusting.
The truth is disgusting?
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#212969 Feb 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Unable to speak?!
No, that's not what I said.
Yes you did, you agreed with eagle 12 assessment that anyone who doesn't believe in YOUR God is dumb.

Location hidden

#212970 Feb 17, 2014
KiMare wrote:
I claimed science finally caught up with the Bible.
<quoted text>
Did the Alien tell you that?
How do you think you appear to others? Do you know? Do you care?
<quoted text>
Sorry, but I have to scoff. That's just poetry, and not even sciency like Cadet Nelson's.
Still avoiding the Creation points with scoffing? Damn, you are looking silly and scared.

The Proverbs passage is words of wisdom. It is the basis of scientific discovery.

Of course you scoff.

Smile.

Location hidden

#212971 Feb 17, 2014
KiMare wrote:
The Alien prophesied the Jews would survive with distinction in human history.

macumazahn wrote:
And now I prophecy. I predict that tomorrow, in the city of London, England, a child will be born. So will a cat, a rat, and a dog. See how easy?
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
That is quality prophecy indeed, Carnak! Have you been in touch with the Alien?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ZFQFf_Vb0HwXX
(I hope my scoffing isn't too apparent. It seems to bother him.)
Which reminds me of this: Did you ever see My Little Chickadee starring Mae West? There is a hysterical scene in it in which Ms. West has approached the bench in courtroom, and makes a snide remark under her breath. The judge angrily asks (paraphrasing),Mrs. West! Are you trying to show contempt for this court? to which she replied,No, your honor. Im doing my damnedest to conceal it.
Do you think that is clever? Really?

LOL, you idiots make yourselves look dumb. I'd be embarrassed...

Smirk.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#212972 Feb 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's the Scripture, buddy boy:
Mark 16:17-18
"And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.
Nowhere in there is a commandment to do anything.
Do you see a commandment or do you wanna just continue elementary school insults?
Are you an idiot, right there before your face......"these signs will accompany those who believe in my name,, they will PICK UP snakes. Anyone who wants to validate their belief and be on the "right side" of God, would do those things without worrying about the dangers as in "It will not hurt them."

There is no commandment, just a very plain instruction that, if you believe in me, do these things, they can't hurt you.

Location hidden

#212973 Feb 17, 2014
KiMare wrote:
You equated Islam and Christianity today. Either validate your claim or rescind it.
<quoted text>
Are you offended again? How about if I help validate that claim. I don't see much difference between the religions, either.
Both religions embrace magic, mythology, superstition, dogma, the supernatural, and ritual.
Both require worship and submission.
They're both patriarchal, authoritarian, misogynistic, sexually repressive, anhedonisitic, atheophobic, homophobic, antisemitic, antiscientiific, use psychological terrorism on their children, and have violent histories including genocides and terrorism.
Each has an ancient authoritarian holy book filled with hatred, tribalism, violence, and failed morals that endorse slavery, rape, infanticide, and incest.
Each features a Semitic desert god that is an angry, petty, vengeful, jealous, judgmental, capricious, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, malevolent, panty sniffing bully.
Both religions believe in demons, angels, an afterlife and a system of reward and punishment after death.
Believers of both attend temples (Mosques or churches) and obey their paternalistic, misogynisitic clergy.
The similarities are striking. Is a Christian bomber for the IRA or a Christian abortion clinic bomber different than a Muslim suicide bomber - enough to be outraged that we would dare compare them? How are they different apart from the fact that the Muslim sacrifices his own life, while the Christians hide safely at a distance?
The main difference between the two is that Christianity has been subject to centuries of humanisitic influence since the end of the Western Middle Ages, and no longer executes adulterers, for example - the very differences that Christians point to when announcing their superiority to Islam.
Is that enough similarities for you? As best I can tell, Christianity is just a camel and a prayer cloth removed from Islam. I don't see what your objection to the comparison is based on.
She equated the violence of Islam in the present day with Christianity.

You could not do it either.

Smile.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#212974 Feb 17, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Doc, Were talking about cats.
Fat cats, skinny cats, rich cats, poor cats, clawed and de-clawed cats. They dont believe in God. But they have been known to hit the church dumpster on occasion.
what evidence do you have that says cats of any kind don't believe in God? Maybe they're not really catawalin at the moon sitting on that fence in the middle of the night, maybe they're cat praying. You not only claim to know the mind of God but for cats also, very talented are you!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 51 min Denisova 18,697
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 1 hr prophecydotorg 7,408
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 3 hr FREEBIRD 9,332
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 5 hr ChristineM 2,062
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 5 hr Thinking 6,105
News Confessions of a black atheist 5 hr Thinking 410
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 5 hr Thinking 14,611
More from around the web