Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 243558 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#212941 Feb 17, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Genocide?
I don't care for what Harris said there either, assuming the worst interpretation of his words, which may be justified.
But do you intend to argue that nothing he says should be considered or admired because of that comment? Is that your standard for everybody? Because if so, we should both just stop posting now. We have both posted regrettable things. And in my case - perhaps yours as well - I would reject and condemn my own words. We all grow. Harris is a relatively young man to have written so much quality material on so many areas of cognitive and moral philosophy.
Did you want to comment on any of the material I quoted from him, or only refer to that one regrettable sentence? Be fair, Buck. I concede your point. Now please address his many others.
Also, given Buck's stance on "exact quotes", I would check any quote Buck presents to see what it really says in context. As the Barton brouhaha showed, Buck is perfectly willing to twist a quote to get it to say what he wants.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212942 Feb 17, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
I recall some of the events that generated the original Tea Party movement. It did appear grassroots. But that didn't last long. The conservative ultra-rich moved in and took over. The very first tea-partiers were anti-one-percent. Again, that didn't last long.
I don't recall it that way at all-- I do remember the "occupy" movement, which had little or nothing to do with the later teabaggers.

But I may be misremembering it, as Fox Noise quickly twisted things in their own unique (and false) way.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#212943 Feb 17, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>So everyone that doesn't believe in YOUR God is dumb? Really? Man this entire planet is loaded with dumb people. Of course you now have to define "dumb"
The word "dumb" refers to someone who is unable to speak, so you can't mean that definition. The word dumb is often used to infer someone is stupid. Stupid means lacking intelligence or common sense, or unable to think clearly.
I can name some pretty intelligent people who reject the idea of God, a lot of them actually. Many of them are recognized experts in their fields and unable to think clearly would mean they would have never reached the pinnacle of their professions. I guess you would then consider me stupid, and not able to think clearly? I would have a very difficult time in my profession if I could think clearly, and didn't possess some degree of intelligence.
Doc, We’re talking about cats.

Fat cats, skinny cats, rich cats, poor cats, clawed and de-clawed cats. They don’t believe in God. But they have been known to hit the church dumpster on occasion.

#212944 Feb 17, 2014
<quoted text>
Good choice. Ingersoll is another hero - another firebrand for reason over faith;
MINISTERS WONDER HOW I CAN BE WICKED ENOUGH TO ATTACK THE BIBLE.
Robert Green Ingersoll (1833-1899)
"I will tell them:
"This book, the Bible, has persecuted, even unto death, the wisest and the best. This book stayed and stopped the onward movement of the human race. This book poisoned the fountains of learning and misdirected the energies of man.
"This book is the enemy of freedom, the support of slavery. This book sowed the seeds of hatred in families and nations, fed the flames of war, and impoverished the world.
"This book is the breastwork of kings and tyrants -- the enslaver of women and children. This book has corrupted parliaments and courts. This book has made colleges and universities the teachers of error and the haters of science.
"This book has filled Christendom with hateful, cruel, ignorant and warring sects. This book taught men to kill their fellows for religion's sake.
"This book funded the Inquisition, invented the instruments of torture, built the dungeons in which the good and loving languished, forged the chains that rusted in their flesh, erected the scaffolds whereon they died. This book piled fagots about the feet of the just. This book drove reason from the minds of millions and filled the asylums with the insane.
"This book has caused fathers and mothers to shed the blood of their babes. This book was the auction block on which the slave-mother stood when she was sold from her child. This book filled the sails of the slave-trader and made merchandise of human flesh.
"This book lighted the fires that burned "witches" and "wizards."
"This book filled the darkness with ghouls and ghosts, and the bodies of men and women with devils. This book polluted the souls of men with the infamous dogma of eternal pain. This book made credulity the greatest of virtues, and investigation the greatest of crimes.
"This book filled nations with hermits, monks and nuns -- with the pious and the useless. This book placed the ignorant and unclean saint above the philosopher and philanthropist.
"This book taught man to despise the joys of this life, that he might be happy in another -- to waste this world for the sake of the next.
"I attack this book because it is the enemy of human liberty -- the greatest obstruction across the highway of human progress.
"Let me ask the ministers one question: How can you be wicked enough to defend this book?"
========
In the firebrand arena, besides Ingersoll, who was over a century ahead of the others, I also commend Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris, Bill Maher, Pat Condell, David Silverman, and Matt Dillahunty. They have all done great things.
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... (a little from Silverman and Condell)
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR... (from Dillahunty)
Ingersoll was definitely a great thinker. And the fact he was so outspoken about unbelief in a time when saying anything against Christianity was a virtual taboo...well, a man to be respected.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212945 Feb 17, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Saw a report yesterday where an ultra-fundamentalist group in Syria stoned a girl to death for posting on Facebook. The imams said it was even worse immorality than adultery.
Yes-- without a doubt, the fringers of both groups are growing more evil as time marches forward.

Fortunately, the majority of christianity, and much of islam has moved beyond the kill'em before they mulitply phase.

Alas, with modern weaponry, the fringe of islam is doing more damage than their numbers would otherwise suggest.

The fringe of christianity, at least, remains a fringe, when compared to the global picture.

Of course...

... the most **damning** aspect of all this violence, is the **deafening**silence** from the moderates in either camp...

(... yes, yes-- to give credit, the liberals in either group do shout loudly against such atrocity-- but it appears to be more or less ineffective shouting... they do little *other* than shouting, it appears ...)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212946 Feb 17, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
RR is divorced???
Well there ya go...sanctity of marriage.
This is hardly surprising. The guy really is a d****-nozzle...

#212947 Feb 17, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Elves are frikken awesome!
http://youtu.be/132WIdxvgdo
Tolkien elves, yes. Santa elves, no.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#212948 Feb 17, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
So says Mr. Divorced.
I know, blame the woman.
Always two sides to every story.

You don’t know both sides so you just step down from your podium and stop passing judgment on people.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#212949 Feb 17, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Nonsense. Your bare claim is meaningless.
<quoted text>
I don't work through organizations.
Incidentally, most charities are secular. And in my community, even the ones with religious affiliations are largely supported by unbelievers, like the local Catholic orphanage, which the church does not fund except to provide the building and three nuns. It is predominantly unbelievers volunteering there and providing funding.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
A vice? That's your word.
Those buildings are nothing but franchises for collecting tithes, almost none of which appears to get past the priests.
And hate is your idiom, not mine. Nothing I posted was hateful.
Incidentally, I notice that you avoided my question. Good choice.
I answered your question with substantive examples and you scoff again. Then you claim I didn't answer your question. Silly stupid.

I didn't ask about your benevolence, I wouldn't believe you anyway. We are talking about your foolish attempt to elevate atheistic behavior above Christian behavior.

Additionally, your claim about nonbelievers is BS. 75% of charity is religious based.

http://philanthropy.com/section/How-America-G...

How would you know what goes on in Churches anyway, not to mention, for a belief system that has not a single building in any community, you have no business judging anyone, do you.

SMile.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212950 Feb 17, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Elves are frikken awesome!
http://youtu.be/132WIdxvgdo
Obviously, he had a vorpal bow of elephant-slaying.

And I love the comment: "that still only counts as one"

:D

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#212951 Feb 17, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>Also, given Buck's stance on "exact quotes", I would check any quote Buck presents to see what it really says in context. As the Barton brouhaha showed, Buck is perfectly willing to twist a quote to get it to say what he wants.
Ar ar does the same thing. He also posts links that have nothing to do with the topic at hand sometimes, links which he doesn't seem to read at all.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#212952 Feb 17, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
What a hoot you are. I asked you if you have given up racism, misogyny and homophobia, and you deny the homophobia. It's like the guy who was criminally charged with having sex with a horse, a dog and a chicken, and he was appalled. "A chicken?" he asked in an offended tone. "I never had sex with a chicken!"
LOL. It's great to have you all back. It got so slow here that I was forced to deal with a Muslim (MUQ, if you know him) on another thread.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#212953 Feb 17, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep and he hit her as well.
I always thought it was legal for a man to slap his wife on her half moons.
OG Kush

Astatula, FL

#212954 Feb 17, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
I once heard the Episcopal Church referred to as Catholic Lite. All the religion and a third less guilt.
True more or less...
No Pope
No Vatican
No Hail Mary prayer or Mary worship.
No priests
Clergy can marry
No genuflecting in church

Why do they call it Catholic light?
Virtually all the prayers are identical!

For those Interested with these things look up 'Nicene creed'

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/page/episcopal...

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#212955 Feb 17, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>Tolkien elves, yes. Santa elves, no.
Lol.

I agree, the whole santa elves premise is creepy and indicative of child slave labour, then, the santa wants kids to sit on his lap.

:/

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#212956 Feb 17, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>Obviously, he had a vorpal bow of elephant-slaying.

And I love the comment: "that still only counts as one"

:D
Hells yes!

Legolas rocks!

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#212957 Feb 17, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think synthesized music is as difficult nor as creative as acoustic music. Tico Tico played on a wind instrument, especially a brass, is much more difficult that this Wersi bullshit. The skill it takes to play this on a trumpet for example, is 100 times more difficult and in the end much more HUMAN. Electronic expression, if there is such a thing, cannot, nor never will, rival human expression in music.
Yes, I very much enjoy Oscar, worship? no, I don't worship anything or anyone, I marvel at their skills and creativity and how they transfer that to the listener.
Regarding human sounding instruments, what an interesting topic. Some instruments can just moan. Not a harp or a harpsichord, but a sax, or a harmonica, or an electric guitar - especially slide guitar. And yet a pedal steel guitar, though beautiful, never becomes as plaintive (moaning low) as a great slide electric guitar. Trumpet can sound soulful as well, and slide trombone. Oboe and clarinet have their moments.

Which brings us to violin - River Tam's instrument. I'll leave it to you two to tell us about how a violin can be human the way drums and banjo can't, even though both of those instruments can be played breath-takingly with great skill and musicality - but not in a human sounding way..

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#212958 Feb 17, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>I always thought it was legal for a man to slap his wife on her half moons.
You had a thought? Prove it.

Fyi, ar ar hit his ex wife that he divorced, on the head.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#212959 Feb 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh-huh.... Smart feller, indeed... "Sanctity is a human invention".....
What word isn't a human invention, man?
And where are you getting off telling me that I disrespect gays? In what ways do I disrespect them?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
And where are you getting off telling me that I disrespect gays? In what ways do I disrespect them?
.. welcome home RR; we all missed you ..

.. either you're a bit prejudice against gays (mediocre bigot) or I'm overly sensitive ..

.. cant decide which one ..

.. but, unequivocally, you are a prime specimen for the sociological study of misogyny and racial bigotry ..

.. and, a bible thumper ..

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#212960 Feb 17, 2014

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 51 min Eagle 12 9,547
News Founders created secular nation (Jul '10) 5 hr The_Box 522
News Aliens and evolution (Jun '12) 14 hr USaWarringIDIOTSo... 6,224
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) Mon TC_Tia 14,656
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) Mon MikeF 19,806
News Atheism must be about more than just not believ... Jul 4 Amused 2
Should atheists have the burden of proof? Jul 4 thetruth 38
More from around the web