Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#212994 Feb 17, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
Nope God wasn’t asleep. If you play with fire you get burned. Touch high voltage while grounded. Your going to get fried. Jump off a steep cliff your going to hit the rocks. You play with snakes you get fanged.

Jamie Coots died from being ignorant.
But his faith was great.

Fennario

#212995 Feb 17, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
VERY GOOD, I'm impressed. Yes that is almost the correct chord scale for A7 functioning in the key of Bb. It's like this,,,A7 is a secondary dominant expecting to resolve down a perfect 5th to a diatonic chord, it this case it would be a D-7 Chord the chord built on the 3rd degree of Bb, Since I can't do anything about the Chord tones 1-3-5-and b7----A-C#-E- and G, I can alter the notes in between and make then diatonic in the key of Bb, so in Bb the notes between A and C# would be (Bb) and between C# and E would be (D) and between E and G would be (F natural) So you came up with the right scale except for Bb after the A, so we now have A-Bb-C#-D-E-F-G-A the Chord symbol would be A7 (b9)(b13)
Thanks. I love that stuff, too.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#212996 Feb 17, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
This from one of the most vile and judgemental godbots on topix.
He gave plenty of details that he called facts.
I can point out christian hypocrisy anytime I want.
I've earned that privilege and pointing out facts isn't always judgement, it can sometimes be observation.
Even if it was, who are you to pass judgement on a non believer?
What happens when one who is a flaunting charlatan accuses another of hypocrisy?

In essence the accuser is stepping on the scale in front of all to see. They’re verbally claiming one thing while everyone observes something else.

The truth ole chap, you’re saying one thing but the scales of judgment are saying another. That’s called a impropriety my friend. A false balance to be more precise.

If I may be honest with you. A false balance is an abomination. And people don't like abominations when they're verbalized as being precise and above reproach. When we all can see they're not.

[tipping hat]

Fennario

#212997 Feb 17, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
I can certainly appreciate classic rock music though I grew up playing the trumpet, and the trumpet was not an instrument involved in rock music, so I gravitated toward horn music, jazz, swing, Big Band, Bee Bop, classical. When I grew interested in composing I listened to the masters, many of them classical composers, and studied the techniques and approaches they used. On the Jazz side of things I studied the compositions of Duke Ellington, Johnny Richards, Horace Silver, Benny Golson, Bill Evans, Oscar Peterson. I incorporated the elements of both styles into my compositions, and later was influenced by latin music, and Motown, and other ethnic music. I lean toward a more complex form of music, the elements of rock are more simplistic. Simplicity is NEVER a bad thing, there is an "earthy" organic quality in rock music I find attractive. Complexity doesn't mean better, but I find it more possibilities to be creative with a more complex form of music. Yes, I to enjoy the discussion. A rare find to find someone knowledgable about music other than the people I work with.
Thanks again.
blacklagoon wrote:
Now with information I gave you on A7 in the key of Bb, try this one. The chord scale for B7 in the key of D major. A perfect 5th below B is?
E.

B is the fifth in the key of E.
blacklagoon wrote:
The Chord tones for a B7 are
-

B7 is like any other dominant 7th chord: 1-3-5-b7, which is b-d#-f#-a
blacklagoon wrote:
What key do you use to fill in between the B7s chord tones?.
Four sharps is E major (ionian), or B mixolydian.
blacklagoon wrote:
..........Your scale is?.........Good luck, I think you will do this no problem!!!
b-c#-d#-e-f#-g#-a-b

Thanks for this. It's been awhile.

Fennario

#212998 Feb 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I seriously doubt Phil Robertson would give your two cents on the matter any thought at all.
Or give it two neurons - at least not while he was out of bed or on his feet. His CNS would be spoken for.

Have you seen Honey Boo-Boo and her family?

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#212999 Feb 17, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>What happens when one who is a flaunting charlatan accuses another of hypocrisy?

In essence the accuser is stepping on the scale in front of all to see. They’re verbally claiming one thing while everyone observes something else.

The truth ole chap, you’re saying one thing but the scales of judgment are saying another. That’s called a impropriety my friend. A false balance to be more precise.

If I may be honest with you. A false balance is an abomination. And people don't like abominations when they're verbalized as being precise and above reproach. When we all can see they're not.

[tipping hat]
I already knew I was an abomination but the "old chap" and "charlatan" are new ones.

Care to explain or are you still just a raving lunatic?

Fennario

#213000 Feb 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You've got a pretty messed up view on the sanctity of marriage, my fiend.

Yeah. Tell her to make you a sanctified sammich.

Fennario

#213001 Feb 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Eagle was correct. Coots died because he was Biblically ignorant.
Do we need to fuss over what kind of ignorant he was? He had great faith, and now he's dead.

Are you familiar with the Darwin Awards?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#213002 Feb 17, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks again.
<quoted text>
E.
B is the fifth in the key of E.
<quoted text>-
B7 is like any other dominant 7th chord: 1-3-5-b7, which is b-d#-f#-a
<quoted text>
Four sharps is E major (ionian), or B mixolydian.
<quoted text>
b-c#-d#-e-f#-g#-a-b
Thanks for this. It's been awhile.
your my new hero!!!! excellent!!

Fennario

#213003 Feb 17, 2014
Zachary Gima wrote:
I am still paying off my tuition from USC. Unfortunately, I will owe the establishment for awhile with the hope of future income offsetting and then surpassing my current debt.....finger's crossed - LOL
Good luck.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#213004 Feb 17, 2014
<quoted text>
But his faith was great.
Don't ya just love it?

If someone survives a horrible car accident, the godbots point and say "God saved him!" And if someone doesn't survive the accident, well either God wasn't there or God has mysterious ways. But someone puts their faith in this God to save them from poisonous snakes and it's "He's ignorant!" Even though there is a passage in their book that says God would save him.

This God character doesn't seem very reliable.

And, yes, Coots had great faith...though misplaced faith IMHO.

#213005 Feb 17, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
I already knew I was an abomination but the "old chap" and "charlatan" are new ones.
Care to explain or are you still just a raving lunatic?
Eagle is just engaging in projection.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#213006 Feb 17, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>Eagle is just engaging in projection.
Ah, the popular past time of godbots.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#213007 Feb 17, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. Tell her to make you a sanctified sammich.
On a holy roll?

#213008 Feb 17, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, the popular past time of godbots.
They even have a Bible verse about that...

Matthew 7:5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

But they never think it applies to them. It only applies to others.

#213009 Feb 17, 2014
scaritual wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
On a holy roll?
Is that anything like a holy bagel?

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#213010 Feb 17, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that anything like a holy bagel?
Infinite donut.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#213011 Feb 18, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
And there are elves in the Lord of the Rings. Doesn't prove anything.
(Actually, the point being made is that the archeological evidence says that the camels mentioned in the early Bible didn't exist. One more piece of evidence that at least part of the Bible is just fiction, written in a latter day.)
BTW...you are once again engaging in circular reasoning. You are assuming the Bible is true, then using that assumption to prove the Bible is true. Around and around she goes...
How can you be so dense. The Rabbi uses archeological evidence as indicated here.

----------

All this changed with the turn of a shovel. Recent archaeological finds have clearly demonstrated that the camel was domesticated by the 18th century BCE.

Prof. Kenneth Kitchen, an Egyptologist at the University of Liverpool (retired) has pointed out that the sale of Joseph to a caravan of Midianites should have been another example of anachronism in the Torah. Joseph was sold for 20 silver pieces. A thousand years later the price for a slave was much higher (ancient inflation). However, the price reported in the Torah matches precisely the going price of slaves in the region from Joseph's time period. This is just one example which demonstrates, according to Kitchen that "it's more reasonable to assume that the biblical data reflect reality
----------

Regarding your statement about using the Bible to prove the Bible is true ignores the fact critics use the Bible to falsify the Bible. Also ignored is the fact the Bible is a collection of writings and not a single book. So yes you can use the bible to either validate or discredit. You can use the Old to fact check from the New.

You are hopelessly stupid.

Fennario

#213012 Feb 18, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Here's the Scripture, buddy boy: Mark 16:17-18 "And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.” Nowhere in there is a commandment to do anything.

Do you see a commandment or do you wanna just continue elementary school insults?
I see a challenge. How strong is your faith? Do you really believe? Do you trust your god and his promises? I don't, but do you? I sure hope not.

This sounds like a "fib" to me, like that he's coming soon, or that you can move mountains with faith.

Fennario

#213013 Feb 18, 2014
KiMare wrote:
I meant to say, "Even if right behavior has no HEAVENLY reward, it hardly DE-LEGITIMIZES it."
I then go on to explain why. Right behavior has consequences, some totally unanticipated.
You were hurt over that??? Kind of a sissy, no?
You're still evading my question: What do you think faith and religion have done for you with regard to your intellect, character and personality? Has it made you a better person in any of those areas? Do you care?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 4 hr Science 2,572
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 hr Science 83,147
High School Atheism Nov 14 Reason Personified 3
Reasoning with Insanity (Jun '16) Nov 14 Reason Personified 106
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Nov 14 Eagle 12 - 3,988
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... (May '17) Nov 6 Frindly 1,175
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing Oct 24 xfrodobagginsx 1
More from around the web