Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258484 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#212973 Feb 17, 2014
KiMare wrote:
You equated Islam and Christianity today. Either validate your claim or rescind it.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you offended again? How about if I help validate that claim. I don't see much difference between the religions, either.
Both religions embrace magic, mythology, superstition, dogma, the supernatural, and ritual.
Both require worship and submission.
They're both patriarchal, authoritarian, misogynistic, sexually repressive, anhedonisitic, atheophobic, homophobic, antisemitic, antiscientiific, use psychological terrorism on their children, and have violent histories including genocides and terrorism.
Each has an ancient authoritarian holy book filled with hatred, tribalism, violence, and failed morals that endorse slavery, rape, infanticide, and incest.
Each features a Semitic desert god that is an angry, petty, vengeful, jealous, judgmental, capricious, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, malevolent, panty sniffing bully.
Both religions believe in demons, angels, an afterlife and a system of reward and punishment after death.
Believers of both attend temples (Mosques or churches) and obey their paternalistic, misogynisitic clergy.
The similarities are striking. Is a Christian bomber for the IRA or a Christian abortion clinic bomber different than a Muslim suicide bomber - enough to be outraged that we would dare compare them? How are they different apart from the fact that the Muslim sacrifices his own life, while the Christians hide safely at a distance?
The main difference between the two is that Christianity has been subject to centuries of humanisitic influence since the end of the Western Middle Ages, and no longer executes adulterers, for example - the very differences that Christians point to when announcing their superiority to Islam.
Is that enough similarities for you? As best I can tell, Christianity is just a camel and a prayer cloth removed from Islam. I don't see what your objection to the comparison is based on.
She equated the violence of Islam in the present day with Christianity.

You could not do it either.

Smile.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#212974 Feb 17, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Doc, We’re talking about cats.
Fat cats, skinny cats, rich cats, poor cats, clawed and de-clawed cats. They don’t believe in God. But they have been known to hit the church dumpster on occasion.
what evidence do you have that says cats of any kind don't believe in God? Maybe they're not really catawalin at the moon sitting on that fence in the middle of the night, maybe they're cat praying. You not only claim to know the mind of God but for cats also, very talented are you!!!!
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#212975 Feb 17, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
You had a thought? Prove it.
Fyi, ar ar hit his ex wife that he divorced, on the head.
I’m not in a position to judge another on something that occurred in their past without knowing all the details. We don’t know all the details so why pass judgment?

Some women can be violent and dangerous. Ever heard of Jodi Arias? She was convicted of murdering her ex-boyfriend with a knife. The murder occurred in June 2008 in Mesa Arizona.

Her ex-boyfriend, Travis Alexander was brutally murdered. Women can be abusive and dangerous just like men. And Jodi was a petite attractive female and Travis was certainly stronger than she was. But she killed him with repeated stabs with a knife.

Regardless if you are a man or a woman. Everyone has the right to self defense against the brutally lawless. You don't know the facts and neither do I on the particular case you referenced.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#212976 Feb 17, 2014
<quoted text>
Regarding human sounding instruments, what an interesting topic. Some instruments can just moan. Not a harp or a harpsichord, but a sax, or a harmonica, or an electric guitar - especially slide guitar. And yet a pedal steel guitar, though beautiful, never becomes as plaintive (moaning low) as a great slide electric guitar. Trumpet can sound soulful as well, and slide trombone. Oboe and clarinet have their moments.
Which brings us to violin - River Tam's instrument. I'll leave it to you two to tell us about how a violin can be human the way drums and banjo can't, even though both of those instruments can be played breath-takingly with great skill and musicality - but not in a human sounding way..
Drums can certainly sound human, press your thumb on the side of the tom or snare and slowly drag it across the surface, with just the right pressure a "moaning" sound can be produced. Depending on the pressure and speed at which the thumb is drawn across the drum head, you can change the pitch and volume.

The Violin and any of the string family, Violas, cello, double bass, can also "slide" between notes, and the use of hight harmonics, by slightly touching the vibrating string can produce some very erie and human like sounds. Of course vibrato gives the notes a warm human sound. Combine these techniques with a large string section of 30 or more strings and the range of human emotions is staggering.

You forgot the "plunger" mute for both trumpet and trombone were the player can literally make the instrument "talk" Listen to "tricky sam" from the old Duke Ellington band, and Clark Terry.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#212977 Feb 17, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>what evidence do you have that says cats of any kind don't believe in God? Maybe they're not really catawalin at the moon sitting on that fence in the middle of the night, maybe they're cat praying. You not only claim to know the mind of God but for cats also, very talented are you!!!!
[smiling]

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#212978 Feb 17, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>I’m not in a position to judge another on something that occurred in their past without knowing all the details. We don’t know all the details so why pass judgment?

Some women can be violent and dangerous. Ever heard of Jodi Arias? She was convicted of murdering her ex-boyfriend with a knife. The murder occurred in June 2008 in Mesa Arizona.

Her ex-boyfriend, Travis Alexander was brutally murdered. Women can be abusive and dangerous just like men. And Jodi was a petite attractive female and Travis was certainly stronger than she was. But she killed him with repeated stabs with a knife.

Regardless if you are a man or a woman. Everyone has the right to self defense against the brutally lawless. You don't know the facts and neither do I on the particular case you referenced.
This from one of the most vile and judgemental godbots on topix.

He gave plenty of details that he called facts.

I can point out christian hypocrisy anytime I want.

I've earned that privilege and pointing out facts isn't always judgement, it can sometimes be observation.

Even if it was, who are you to pass judgement on a non believer?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#212979 Feb 17, 2014
KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
I claimed science finally caught up with the Bible.
<quoted text>
Still avoiding the Creation points with scoffing? Damn, you are looking silly and scared.
The Proverbs passage is words of wisdom. It is the basis of scientific discovery.
Of course you scoff.
Smile.
You do realize that people consider you stark raving mad right? Walk into a science convention, stand up on a chair and tell them that science has finally caught up with the bible and watch their reaction. Some of the most educated brilliant people on the planet, who have devoted most of their lives in discovery, will simply stare in utter disbelief, disbelief that anyone subjected to the data we have available in this point in history could even conceive of such an insane assertion. They're only recourse is to deem you totally insane, as do I, and almost everyone else here on Topix. Suggestion, seek professional help as soon as possible, it may not be to late to save you from complete and utter insanity, I personally think it is much too late for you.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#212980 Feb 17, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet the cats don't get thought modification, judgemental lectures about believing in non existent entities.
Like the poor humans who receive from christian dumpsters.
"Animals don't have Gods, they're smarter than that"

Location hidden

#212981 Feb 17, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You do realize that people consider you stark raving mad right? Walk into a science convention, stand up on a chair and tell them that science has finally caught up with the bible and watch their reaction. Some of the most educated brilliant people on the planet, who have devoted most of their lives in discovery, will simply stare in utter disbelief, disbelief that anyone subjected to the data we have available in this point in history could even conceive of such an insane assertion. They're only recourse is to deem you totally insane, as do I, and almost everyone else here on Topix. Suggestion, seek professional help as soon as possible, it may not be to late to save you from complete and utter insanity, I personally think it is much too late for you.
C'mon! I think some people would laugh at him as well.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#212982 Feb 17, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, very clever until you look at the second link that comes up;
http://withalliamgod.wordpress.com/2011/01/21...
Bazinga!
During the early years of Christianity, it needed them.

When we say ... that he, Jesus Christ, our teacher, was crucified and died, and rose again, and ascended into heaven, we propose nothing new from what you believe about those you consider sons of Zeus.
Justin Martyr, First Apology (100–165CE)

"We shall seem to utter the doctrine of Plato; and while we say that there will be a burning up of all, we shall seem to utter the doctrine of the Stoics: and while we affirm that the souls of the wicked, being endowed with sensation even after death, are punished, and that those of the good being delivered from punishment spend a blessed existence, we shall seem to say the same things as the poets and philosophers; and while we maintain that men ought not to worship the works of their hands, we say the very things which have been said by the comic poet Menander, and other similar writers, for they have declared that the workman is greater than the work." - Justin Martyr, First Apology.
Justin Martyr - CE 100–ca.165 CE

hahaaahaaa

Apologists....

Noun: apologetics
1. The branch of theology that is concerned with the defense of Christian doctrines

WordWeb Pro 7.02

Christianity needed apologists to defend the belief. A belief, needed defending. There is a reason for that.

Theists believe in mythology, but do not see it as mythology.

Theology and theologians entire purpose is to try and make the supernatural deities appear real, and give religions the appearance of legitimacy. Theologians pour over religious texts, endeavoring to highlight historical aspects and realities within those texts, but the ultimate goal is to try and find the deity. The goal is to find that one bit, no matter how small that they can point to and say:

<frantic theologian>"I have found legitimate and unbiased evidence of a deity! "

That has never happened. Ever.

Theists feel theology authenticates their mythological beliefs, even though they do not see the belief as being based in myth.

They look to the theologian or at the least, someone who has their approval, as having some special authority or power to substantiate the belief. The theologian sets about to massage any portion of possible prophetic fulfillment no matter how small out from those mystical and mythic ramblings of ancient man.

They've done no more than practice what equates to, "Mytheology".

"Mytheology" ~ The in depth study by theologians of supernatural deities and supernatural elements within mythology, believed by theologians and theists to be reality, and able to be proven, but never succeeding in doing so.

I understand that you're within the myth and believe in it as a reality.

So did the believers in Zeus.
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#212984 Feb 17, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>what evidence do you have that says cats of any kind don't believe in God? Maybe they're not really catawalin at the moon sitting on that fence in the middle of the night, maybe they're cat praying. You not only claim to know the mind of God but for cats also, very talented are you!!!!
Maybe he was a cat in previous life!?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#212985 Feb 17, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
[smiling]
Shaking head and sighing is disbelief!!!

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#212986 Feb 17, 2014
Lightbeamrider, like most of the rest of the church, is not taking the loss of this cultural war well. Their choices are to accept society's changing values with dignity as they have always expected others to do, as when they argue for "Merry Christmas" over "Happy Holidays" on the basis of their numbers, or to become antidemocratic when the majority opinion no longer suits them.
What they fail to see is that people outside of the church don't respect its homophobic attitudes, and that expressing them in this losing effort just accelerates its shrinkage and irrelevancy. I suppose that we should welcome that, but I hate to see it anyway. People like lightbeamrider and Clearwater, who are probably just trying to do the right thing as they have been taught it by those that they trust, have been sent out to do an impossible job that leaves people disrespecting them for it, just like Duckman.
Whether they retreat or march forward, they lose.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#212987 Feb 17, 2014
ChristINSANITY is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe he was a cat in previous life!?
That would be impossible since cats are very curious creatures, always exploring. Cats NEVER miss the opportunity to discover for themselves, whatever needs discovering. They never sit and accept anything without exploration. I guess you could say cats are the ultimate skeptics.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#212988 Feb 17, 2014
<quoted text>
Good choice. Ingersoll is another hero - another firebrand for reason over faith;
MINISTERS WONDER HOW I CAN BE WICKED ENOUGH TO ATTACK THE BIBLE.
Robert Green Ingersoll (1833-1899)
"I will tell them:
"This book, the Bible, has persecuted, even unto death, the wisest and the best. This book stayed and stopped the onward movement of the human race. This book poisoned the fountains of learning and misdirected the energies of man.
"This book is the enemy of freedom, the support of slavery. This book sowed the seeds of hatred in families and nations, fed the flames of war, and impoverished the world.
"This book is the breastwork of kings and tyrants -- the enslaver of women and children. This book has corrupted parliaments and courts. This book has made colleges and universities the teachers of error and the haters of science.
"This book has filled Christendom with hateful, cruel, ignorant and warring sects. This book taught men to kill their fellows for religion's sake.
"This book funded the Inquisition, invented the instruments of torture, built the dungeons in which the good and loving languished, forged the chains that rusted in their flesh, erected the scaffolds whereon they died. This book piled fagots about the feet of the just. This book drove reason from the minds of millions and filled the asylums with the insane.
"This book has caused fathers and mothers to shed the blood of their babes. This book was the auction block on which the slave-mother stood when she was sold from her child. This book filled the sails of the slave-trader and made merchandise of human flesh.
"This book lighted the fires that burned "witches" and "wizards."
"This book filled the darkness with ghouls and ghosts, and the bodies of men and women with devils. This book polluted the souls of men with the infamous dogma of eternal pain. This book made credulity the greatest of virtues, and investigation the greatest of crimes.
"This book filled nations with hermits, monks and nuns -- with the pious and the useless. This book placed the ignorant and unclean saint above the philosopher and philanthropist.
"This book taught man to despise the joys of this life, that he might be happy in another -- to waste this world for the sake of the next.
"I attack this book because it is the enemy of human liberty -- the greatest obstruction across the highway of human progress.
"Let me ask the ministers one question: How can you be wicked enough to defend this book?"
========
In the firebrand arena, besides Ingersoll, who was over a century ahead of the others, I also commend Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris, Bill Maher, Pat Condell, David Silverman, and Matt Dillahunty. They have all done great things.
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... (a little from Silverman and Condell)
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR... (from Dillahunty)
Love Condell.

Pithy and sharp as a dagger.

Location hidden

#212989 Feb 17, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>That would be impossible since cats are very curious creatures, always exploring. Cats NEVER miss the opportunity to discover for themselves, whatever needs discovering. They never sit and accept anything without exploration. I guess you could say cats are the ultimate skeptics.
They certainly are.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#212990 Feb 17, 2014
<quoted text>
LOL. It's great to have you all back. It got so slow here that I was forced to deal with a Muslim (MUQ, if you know him) on another thread.
I was away, in London.

You know, where they have stupid old stuff, unlike Riverside.

While there, I got to thinking that I'm certain I have entered more churches and cathedrals than any of the Christians here.
ROCCO

Indio, CA

#212991 Feb 17, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
Two lesbians in the sack.
http://www.123rf.com/photo_8751057_two-women-...
Wow!

Looks like you just gave this thread's Christian heterosexual males on this thread something to fantasize about - married, or not!

LOL

Roc
ROCCO

Indio, CA

#212992 Feb 17, 2014
...edit out the redundancy "on this thread".

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#212993 Feb 17, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
In 2009 there were 158 million Catholics in Africa, it is estimated that by 2025 1/6th of ALL the worlds Catholics 230 million will be in Africa. In a pew poll taken in 2012 on the number of Atheists in Africa, the number was so low it didn't even register and came out as 0%.
Good luck with that, Africans.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 48 min Baffled 1,176
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 1 hr 15th Dalai Lama 1,416
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) 5 hr Ben Avraham 100
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 19 hr Regolith Based Li... 32,461
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) Mon Dogen 78,757
what science will NEVER be able to prove Aug 11 Eagle 12 - 5
News What Ever Happened to the New Atheists?by Ellio... Aug 7 nanoanomaly 1
More from around the web