Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247627 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212647 Feb 15, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
The American government has hegemony. You might be surprised by the reaction of expatriated American citizens to their government's policies that affect them.
Perhaps I would.

I still don't see how anyone who deliberately left the US, would not first have moved all their funds (apart from the final, exit strategy) out of the reach of the gub'ment.

I know that's what I would do-- long before I left for the final time.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212648 Feb 15, 2014
<quoted text>
I own my home free and clear.
How about you?
An excellent plan.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#212649 Feb 15, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
It just means you know nothing about historical investigation. For one thing i don't know any credible historian who acknowledges Zeus or Hercules as real. Same cannot be said for Jesus.
But lets be clear, no credible historian says the Jesus! was an actual god, and recently - credible historians - have questioned if the person you call 'Jesus' existed at all. The actual evidence is miniscule. In the past, historians used faith - the West is a Christianized society - in accepting that the character >must< have existed.
lightbeamrider wrote:
You and by extension IANS seem to think Josephus, Philo, Jesus, Paul along with a host of OT writers were all wrong and you are right.
When writings have been shown to be tampered with, fabricated, wrong, in error, ambiguous in reference, or an obvious - second hand or hearsay account - or mythic, yeah.

You like to ignore that evidence, suddenly choosing instead to assert the scholars and historians are wrong - because your faith - needs them to be right.
lightbeamrider wrote:
All these ancients could not distinguish fact from fiction.
Agreed, as far as their mythic beliefs and other elements of the natural world were concerned.

But some could.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagoras_of_Melo...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodorus_the_At...

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#212650 Feb 15, 2014
<quoted text>
You might be referring to the use of the word "we" and other plural forms when the god is voiced.
The faithful like to point out man's failings a lot. Nowhere is it more apparent than in the cobbling of that bible.
The oldest texts we have for Genesis speak of plural gods. In the passage about "let us make man in our image" use the word "Elohim". "El" is the singular for god, take (IIRC) from the name of the Canaanite father god. "Elohim" was the plural for gods.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#212651 Feb 15, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
Then you have all the varied accounts for the flood from different cultures. A boat, one family making it through. These are common themes.
Yeah, you mean common mythic themes. So are virginal births, creation stories, trickster deity components, "miracles" and many other mythic elements that not surprisingly, and to be expected, are elements within the bible too.

LEVIATHAN? Need I say more?

But, due to your faith, all others are wrong, only your deity mythology is real.

Your faith tells you that only your mythic religious belief can be a literal reality, and it's <"ALL THOSE OTHER CRAZY STORIES!"> that are fake, but not yours.
lightbeamrider wrote:
Written accounts is historical evidence!
If they have components that can be verified, yes, at times. This is an example I use to illustrate the concept to theists.

Many elements within mythology can be connected to actual persons, cultures, historical places, and at times historical events.

Consider the Minotaur. Born of a union between Pasiphaë and the Cretan bull that was given by Poseidon. The Minotaur is a famous and supernatural creature of myth, as are the other components.

The Palace of Knossos at Crete is an actual known of and verified place, associated with the myth of the Minotaur. That does not make Pasiphaë that birthed the Minotaur, the Minotaur, the Cretan bull, nor Poseidon real.

The above applies in relation to your religious mythology, and in historical matters as well.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#212652 Feb 15, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
When you have multiple accounts then you have historicity.
Only when there is a basis in fact that can be in some way substantiated.

Guess what? No evidence for a worldwide deluge - throw it out.

No evidence for a resurrection - throw it out.

No evidence for miracles and magical or supernatural claims, then - throw - it - out - as - a - literal - reality.

Alexander the Great is a substantiated and known of historical figure, but the stories of his alleged ability to use omens to discern future events isn't, by his existence, said to represent a reality, IE: No one looks to flocks of birds as omens that predict future future events.

When it is determined by historical academia/scholars, that a character in history existed, that does not verify the supernatural events attributed to that character, too.

You're glossing over those aspects either purposefully, or in ignorance.

I suspect the former.
lightbeamrider wrote:
Fact being the ancients believed it happened from all over and wrote about it.
Just like many other myths, too numerous to mention.
lightbeamrider wrote:
You reducing it all to Zeus is just excuse making.
No, Zeus is just an apt example of what people in the past -'the ancients'- have written of and certainly believed in at the time.

Don't forget the Minotaur.
lightbeamrider wrote:
They wrote about Zeus so anything they have to say about a flood is automatically false or as credible as their belief in Zeus?
Don't forget the Minotaur.
lightbeamrider wrote:
Amazing how you run from the truth and manipulate and throw the ancients under the bus so you can cling to your unbelief. You don't give a rats ass about truth or history. So pathetic and cowardly.
Don't forget the Minotaur. I don't have the belief the Minotaur existed either.

But at some point in ancient history, people did.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#212653 Feb 15, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
RR gave us a vacation from him.
I think Dave quit.
I think Dave ran out of stings for his experiments. He spent the last week or so getting his spinning wheel in shape and now he's off shearing his sheep (or spanking his monkey) or something like that.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#212654 Feb 15, 2014
<quoted text>
I think that with faith, one can ignore that argument. God is mysterious, and we puny headed mortals just can't understand the love and beauty that an eye parasite blinding a child embodies. Besides, the kid deserves it for Adam and Eve's rebellion.
OH, the holy love and glory!

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#212655 Feb 15, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I think Dave ran out of stings for his experiments. He spent the last week or so getting his spinning wheel in shape and now he's off shearing his sheep (or spanking his monkey) or something like that.
In memory of The Dave Nelson.

The Disciple Series: Holy Infinite Cypher Kibbitz.

The <±.·:*¨`*ELECTRIC±UNIVERSE* ¨`*:·.±>

Of the Blather Mage, Dave Of Zizzy Edicts.

Lesson # 2. The Box.

<±The Dave Nelson±> "Okay, now, you all should listen to me verrry closely. I have more important things to say, the value of which is unimaginable, well, to me it isn't unimaginable, since I happen to understand it very well because I imagined it, so don't be discouraged if you don't grasp this right away.

I discovered this while performing another experiment that may relate to my Circumpolar Magnetidialectictric Geological Stringy Thingeory of Everythingy.

Today's lesson will be a thought experiment, if you will. Now take some wire. Not just any old wire, but wire that can be bent and hold its shape. Take that wire, straighten it out. Hold it by the end between two fingers, with the other end of the wire pointing towards the wall.

See what happens? Right. Amazing. You can't do that with string.

Okay, moving along. Now. Take a box. It needs to be a box big enough to fit your whole body into, completely. You can find that size in most appliance store dumpsters. Be sure to hold on to the wire. Now, cut a circle in that box, big enough for your head to fit through. Next, get in the box, close it up. It doesn't have to be insulated or absolutely dark inside for this particular exercise to work.

If you have a cat, make sure it's not in the same room while doing this, unless you're wearing safety goggles.

Remember, safety first.

Now, put your head through the head sized hole, cut to the proper dimension, per the instructions I gave you.

Add 2+2 in your head.

See? Do you understand what just happened there? You don't get that kind of instruction in the so called, "higher institutions of learning", and THAT...

...is what's called thinking outside of the box..."

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#212656 Feb 15, 2014
River Tam wrote:
Maybe he's been collecting cigarette filters, so he can make his string out of that. Maybe he's going to invent a new kind of floss for smokers.

I've been doing fuckall.

What about you?

Location hidden

#212657 Feb 15, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe he's been collecting cigarette filters, so he can make his string out of that. Maybe he's going to invent a new kind of floss for smokers.
I've been doing fuckall.
What about you?
Mia and I have been busy planning our trip to Aruba. Spring recess comes in 1 month !!!! Tomorrow we're going to NY to shop for swim wear. I called a friend. She knows a designer.

Other than that, I've been reading about the behavioral genetics of mice. Fascinating zzzzzzz...

“The Edge”

Since: Dec 10

Of Tomorow

#212658 Feb 15, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
In memory of The Dave Nelson.
The Disciple Series: Holy Infinite Cypher Kibbitz.
The <±.·:*¨`*ELECTRIC±UNIVERSE* ¨`*:·.±>
Of the Blather Mage, Dave Of Zizzy Edicts.
Lesson # 2. The Box.
<±The Dave Nelson±> "Okay, now, you all should listen to me verrry closely. I have more important things to say, the value of which is unimaginable, well, to me it isn't unimaginable, since I happen to understand it very well because I imagined it, so don't be discouraged if you don't grasp this right away.
I discovered this while performing another experiment that may relate to my Circumpolar Magnetidialectictric Geological Stringy Thingeory of Everythingy.
Today's lesson will be a thought experiment, if you will. Now take some wire. Not just any old wire, but wire that can be bent and hold its shape. Take that wire, straighten it out. Hold it by the end between two fingers, with the other end of the wire pointing towards the wall.
See what happens? Right. Amazing. You can't do that with string.
Okay, moving along. Now. Take a box. It needs to be a box big enough to fit your whole body into, completely. You can find that size in most appliance store dumpsters. Be sure to hold on to the wire. Now, cut a circle in that box, big enough for your head to fit through. Next, get in the box, close it up. It doesn't have to be insulated or absolutely dark inside for this particular exercise to work.
If you have a cat, make sure it's not in the same room while doing this, unless you're wearing safety goggles.
Remember, safety first.
Now, put your head through the head sized hole, cut to the proper dimension, per the instructions I gave you.
Add 2+2 in your head.
See? Do you understand what just happened there? You don't get that kind of instruction in the so called, "higher institutions of learning", and THAT...
...is what's called thinking outside of the box..."
Ha snort ha!
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#212659 Feb 15, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Or shagging his sheep,LLL

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#212660 Feb 15, 2014
River Tam wrote:
Mia and I have been busy planning our trip to Aruba. Spring recess comes in 1 month !!!! Tomorrow we're going to NY to shop for swim wear. I called a friend. She knows a designer.
Other than that, I've been reading about the behavioral genetics of mice. Fascinating zzzzzzz...
I checked. Aruba has two beaches that allow nudity.

You'll probably want to avoid those, if you'll be sporting fashionable swim wear.

:)

Location hidden

#212662 Feb 15, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I checked. Aruba has two beaches that allow nudity.
You'll probably want to avoid those, if you'll be sporting fashionable swim wear.
:)
I don't mind going with the flow.

We'll be topless anyway. The swim wear is just a fashion statement. I tend to swim in circles these days :)

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#212663 Feb 15, 2014
River Tam wrote:
I don't mind going with the flow.
We'll be topless anyway. The swim wear is just a fashion statement. I tend to swim in circles these days :)
I'm not much of a swimmer at all.

If I ever make it to the beach, I'll build sand castles and pretend I'm King of the North.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#212664 Feb 15, 2014
ChristINSANITY is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
Or shagging his sheep,LLL
In the Air Force, I spent 3 years in Idaho, where men are men and sheep are nervous.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#212665 Feb 15, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey! That's kind of an irrational thing to say...
;)
Laffin.

Location hidden

#212666 Feb 16, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not much of a swimmer at all.
If I ever make it to the beach, I'll build sand castles and pretend I'm King of the North.
You'll get there. You have to.

Rock, Paper, Water.

It's unreasonable and unstoppable. It will wear you down. It's Tidal.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#212667 Feb 16, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no interest in the truth, as I have exposed you before.
Case in point,
Do you agree with the current scientific position that the Universe had a beginning?
Do you accept the laws of physics?
I would like to ask you a few questions about Jupiter, Mars and the Earth.
huh?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 55 min -Stray Dog 47,867
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr Mr_SKY 12,833
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 6 hr Shizle 43
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 8 hr peruzzi 24
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 10 hr Thinking 2,357
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 18 hr macumazahn 20,900
Proof of God for the Atheist Wed Amused 130
More from around the web