Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258469 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#212702 Feb 16, 2014
KiMare wrote:
You tried to equate scriptural prophecy and scientific theory. They don't.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Read my words again. I said that they are not equal. Biblical prophecy doesn't meet the standard for quality prophesy - you know, the ones you scoffingly dismiss without a rebuttal.
<quoted text>
You equated it to scientific proof, not 'quality prophecy'.

However, you still simply deny the fact that the Alien and Jesus both give valid prophecies that we see the results of today.

Location hidden

#212703 Feb 16, 2014
KiMare wrote:
I equated specific points of the Creation story to science.
<quoted text>
Your myth got almost none of the facts right. The Genesis version completely overlooked the singularity, the expansion of the universe, the inflationary epoch, symmetry breaking, particle condensation, nucleosynthsis, the decoupling of matter and radiation, etc.. All it seems to have gotten right is that the universe had a beginning - just like every other creation myth.
If that were true, why did you not specifically address the points?

And the one you did mention, you censored the specific point of it being created out of nothing as the Big Bang Theory asserts.

SMile.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#212704 Feb 16, 2014
OG Kush wrote:
<quoted text>
“The radical of one century is the conservative of the next. The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out the conservative adopts them.”~Mark Twain
“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”~Mark Twain
"A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows." ~Mark Twain
Jeopardy ?? and the author is...
"He who can, does; he who cannot, teaches"
"He who can, does: he who cannot, teaches"

No matter what you want to study, who would you want as your teacher, someone who can and does, but also teaches? Someone who has done, but now chooses to teach? Or someone who has never done but teaches?

It's an idiotic statement because it doesn't deal with the number of possibilities or of the numerous perspectives.

Location hidden

#212705 Feb 16, 2014
KiMare wrote:
You implied a 'big''we' on here invalidated the prophecies I noted that are fulfilled.
<quoted text>
My arguments stand. Your prophecies are respected by nobody except other faith based thinkers because they don't meet the minimum criteria of rational skeptics. Your claims that those prophecies are special or even interesting have been rejected by virtue of failing to meet these criteria - criteria that you have already conceded are of no interest to you. What more is there to say to somebody like you? We have no basis for discussion - no shared assumptions.
"Water is two parts hydrogen and one part oxygen. What if someone says,“Well, that’s not how I choose to think about water.&#12539; All we can do is appeal to scientific values. And if he doesn’t share those values, the conversation is over ." - Sam Harris
"If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove they should value it? If someone doesn’t value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" - Sam Harris
<quoted text>
Your ideas and behavior speak to the merit of faith based thought.
You are still trying to divert the issue. You falsely asserted a majority opinion.

Now you falsely assert that all Biblical prophecies are rejected by rational people.

Moreover, I note only two;

The Alien prophesied the Jews would survive with distinction in human history.

Jesus prophesied the birth and survival of the Church.

Both exist to this day, yet you claim they are not valid prophecies.

That's not a 'rational skeptic', it's a faith based skeptic...

Smirk.

Location hidden

#212706 Feb 16, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Really.
Care to do a comparative kill list of religious violence for today?
Gay couples have a piece of paper claiming that your mutually sterile, pointlessly duplicate gendered relationship equates to marriage. That distinction bothers you immensely, in spite of your claim otherwise.
You know as well as I do that nothing can change the inferior status of your relationship. It is visibly a counterfeit, scientifically defective mating behavior, factually fallacious and socially a forced sympathy to denial.
Smile.
<quoted text>
The system that put such ideas in your head can't disappear from the world soon enough. A man who speaks like you do has nothing to say to decent people.
Oh please, be specific, what ideas are you speaking of?

Smile.

Location hidden

#212707 Feb 16, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Notice his tacit admission that the science is correct. He is hoping to make his mythology appear to conform to it.
No 'tacit admission' at all. I claimed science finally caught up with the Bible.

And just a note. Until recently,'science' resembled mythological creation events more than the Bible account ever has.

Here is another creation account, the very basis for science;

Proverbs 8:22-31 (GW)
22 “The LORD already possessed me long ago, when his way began, before any of his works.
23 I was appointed from everlasting from the first, before the earth began.
24 I was born before there were oceans, before there were springs filled with water.
25 I was born before the mountains were settled in their places and before the hills,
26 when he had not yet made land or fields or the first dust of the world.
27 “When he set up the heavens, I was there. When he traced the horizon on the surface of the ocean,
28 when he established the skies above, when he determined the currents in the ocean,
29 when he set a limit for the sea so the waters would not overstep his command, when he traced the foundations of the earth,
30 I was beside him as a master craftsman. I made him happy day after day, I rejoiced in front of him all the time,
31 found joy in his inhabited world, and delighted in the human race.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#212708 Feb 16, 2014
KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
You implied a 'big''we' on here invalidated the prophecies I noted that are fulfilled.
<quoted text>
You are still trying to divert the issue. You falsely asserted a majority opinion.
Now you falsely assert that all Biblical prophecies are rejected by rational people.
Moreover, I note only two;
The Alien prophesied the Jews would survive with distinction in human history.
Jesus prophesied the birth and survival of the Church.
Both exist to this day, yet you claim they are not valid prophecies.
That's not a 'rational skeptic', it's a faith based skeptic...
Smirk.
And now I prophecy.

I predict that tomorrow, in the city of London, England, a child will be born.

So will a cat, a rat, and a dog.

See how easy?
Backspace

United States

#212709 Feb 16, 2014
KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
I equated specific points of the Creation story to science.
<quoted text>
If that were true, why did you not specifically address the points?
And the one you did mention, you censored the specific point of it being created out of nothing as the Big Bang Theory asserts.
SMile.
At least you used less than 50 words to show you have no idea what you're talking about.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212710 Feb 16, 2014
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
they disappeared at the same moment
Well, they could be the same religious fundie-troll, no?

Or more likely, they have got together for some shared ecstasy...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212711 Feb 16, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
The sun rose this morning just after 7:00 local time. It's been a very long time since I've been on the Atlantic. A few local fishermen are setting up. What a day we have that The Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be thankful.
No.

The day is the direct result of the earth spinning on it's axis, coupled with a natural runaway thermonuclear reaction approximately 8 light minutes away.

Your "lord" had damn-all to do with either event.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212712 Feb 16, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>At least we have never had a president that "admitted" he didn't believe in God. During that time it would have been political death, but I do believe the climate is getting better, and you just might see an Atheist president in the future. Do you think 50 years ago people would believe we would have a black president, and one from a Muslim background?

The great composers who wrote astounding religious works, Mahler's 8th symphony is a great example, all basically worked for the church, thats were the huge money was. Any composer who renounced God or declared Atheism was instantly out of work, he would have effectively cut off his head, no one would have hired him after that, church or otherwise. It's easy to declare yourself religious and make all the right moves, but one wonders what the feeling toward a fictitious being really are. How many people in high political positions would dare come out and say they had doubts about the existence of God?
Good point.

And since poll after poll after poll indicates that the majority of folk think that politicians pretty much **lie** all the time?

It stands to reason that many do, in fact, lie.

Therefore, if it's generally accepted that politicians lie-- it stands to reason that not a few of them are also non-believers.

..... hmmmm....

.... actually, that's not very flattering to non-believers, is it?

<LMAO>

But the logic is still sound.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212713 Feb 16, 2014
KiMare wrote:
You equated Islam and Christianity today. Either validate your claim or rescind it.
They are functionally identical.

Both practice systematic child abuse.

Both teach that woman are both property and inferior.

Both abuse non-believers, and call out for the death of non-believers.

Both abuse people who are gay, transgender or transexual.

Both abuse systematically abuse women.

Both teach that the only way to behave, is to give up being human, and become a mind-slave to an invisible, imaginary slave-master.

Both teach that being stupid and ignorant is better than being educated and smart.

Both are leeches on any culture/society that tolerates their existence.

I see little to separate the two-- both are systematic engines of human suffering and abuse.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212714 Feb 16, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Please be specific. How did I 'reinterpret' the verses?
That is, in fact,**all** that you do.

You have done nothing else,**BUT** lie about what the evil bible says.

It's how you roll.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212715 Feb 16, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if right behavior had no reward, it hardly legitimizes it.
But only an idiot would deny that every action does not have an equal and opposite reaction. Many times, reactions that are totally unanticipated.
SMile.
Bullshyt.

Bullshitbullshitbullshit

If your idiotic statement were even a LITTLE BIT true?

ALL the politicians in Washington would be suffering some sort of ...**something** for all the selfish and evil activities they engaged in, to **make** it to Washington.

All-- without exception.

But **especially** among the TeaPublican Rich.

However, I see these ultimately **selfish** people enjoying the fruits of their evil ways, and not a single negative thing is happening to them for it.

So I call bullshyt on your ludicrous claim.

The Borderland of Sol

#212716 Feb 16, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
The day is the direct result of the earth spinning on it's axis, coupled with a natural runaway thermonuclear reaction approximately 8 light minutes away.
Yah.

I saw the same sunrise, also from Florida.

I just smiled and enjoyed it.
OG Kush

United States

#212717 Feb 16, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>"He who can, does: he who cannot, teaches"
No matter what you want to study, who would you want as your teacher, someone who can and does, but also teaches? Someone who has done, but now chooses to teach? Or someone who has never done but teaches?
It's an idiotic statement because it doesn't deal with the number of possibilities or of the numerous perspectives.
I wanted to know the origin of the quote.

This aphorism appears in "Maxims for revolutionaries" (1903) which is in "man and superman".

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212718 Feb 16, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Yah.
I saw the same sunrise, also from Florida.
I just smiled and enjoyed it.
That's always the best policy.

:)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212719 Feb 16, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
No 'tacit admission' at all. I claimed science finally caught up with the Bible.
And your claim is 100% bullshyt.

It's how you roll.

The Borderland of Sol

#212720 Feb 16, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
Oh, and I note, with considerable hilarity, that Wiki cites Clearwater as "an active center for Scientologists".

That's a direct quote.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#212721 Feb 16, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you want to learn?
I play Sax, piano, guitar, banjo, harmonica.
I've got skills...
all of that

and then

to ruin it all, by being a religitard

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 12 min Rose_NoHo 442
News Atheism and cowardice (Nov '11) 40 min Eagle 12 12,674
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Endofdays 69,983
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr Subduction Zone 30,113
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 19 hr yehoshooah adam 3,779
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) Wed superwilly 579
News The rise of militant atheism (Sep '09) May 21 online reality bu... 9,236
More from around the web