Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255965 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212357 Feb 13, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed.
... yes... where is their god, when millions of small kids starve to death? Just because it didn't rain in their area... again...?

... and where was their god, when more than two thousand people were trapped in collapsing buildings?

Was their god in the cockpit, with the god-fearing pilots?

Their gods all come from the same legend, after all....

.... it's all just bullshty.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212358 Feb 13, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw that guy, too.
He reminded me of Craig, who said this:
"...And my view here is, that the way in which I know Christianity is true is first and foremost on the basis of the witness of the Holy Spirit. In my heart. And that this gives me a self-authenticating means of knowing that Christianity is true wholly apart from the evidence. And therefore, if in some historically contingent circumstances, the evidence that I have available to me should turn against Christianity, I don't think that that contraverts the witness of the Holy Spirit. In such a situation, I should regard that as simply a result of the contingent circumstances that I'm in, and that if I were to pursue this with due diligence and with time, I would discover that the evidence, if in fact I could get the correct picture, would support exactly what the witness of the Holy Spirit tells me. So I think that's very important to get the relationship between faith and reason right..." . William Lane Craig
That's an incredible confession from a man who is considered a Christian intellectual and philosopher.
<quoted text>
For those who missed it, in the recent Ham-on-Nye debate, when asked what could change their minds, Nye responded with "evidence." Ken Ham's response was, "Well, I'm a Christian."
Craig is nothing but a con-artist of the lowest caliber.

P.T. Barnum would have understood his methods.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212359 Feb 13, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
It is amazing how "what is approved by God" always matches what is approved of by the believer himself.
Even in your case.
Of course!

Their Jewsus always **hates** the same people they hate.

It makes it much simpler for them--

--- and they *thrive* on simplicity.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212360 Feb 13, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Ham's response said essentially, "Nothing could change my mind".
Re: Craig. When I was on my long slide leading out of religion, I finally came to the realization that this "Holy Ghost" was nothing more than wishful thinking on my part. I wanted guidance from God, and misinterpreted my self-provided guidance as coming from God.
What finally opened my "eyes" was that I prayed and prayed for guidance concerning the doubts I had...and got no response.
Indeed.

To repeat a valid meme:

When a man talks to his hairbrush, and claims said brush tells him what to do?

Everyone agrees that such a man is a nut case.

Yet?

People such as W Craig do the **exact** same thing-- only without the hairbrush.

Why is it, removing the hairbrush, suddenly makes him *not* a nut case?

Hmmm?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212361 Feb 13, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Question: why is a benevolent god killing anybody in the first place and why does he have a higher body count than the so called devil?
A most excellent question indeed.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212362 Feb 13, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Question: why is a benevolent god killing anybody in the first place and why does he have a higher body count than the so called devil?
One, more obvious answer?

Their devil is simply another tool of their monster god?

And always acts with their god's blessing?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212363 Feb 13, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>In order for me to say I believe there is no God, I would need some kind of definition as to what a God is. I would need some kind of evidence that a being as described by Theists actually exists. So far the evidence for God is the same as that for werewolves. When a Theist, such as you, make an assertion that God exists and manifests himself in the naturalistic realm, I reject that claim based on the total lack of conclusive, demonstrable, verifiable, scientifically grounded evidence. Since I have no idea what it is I'm supposed to not believe in, the only rational response would be, I reject theistic claims. Got it skippy?
Now tell me why you need to pray for wisdom and opportunity, don't you have the stones to achieve these things without someone holding your little hand? Talk about where's yer ballbag!!!!
But...but...but.... you mean werewolves do not exist?

Oh, snap.... that means .... Twilight is ... not real?

(I mean-- I figured that with all the lousy acting, it was supposedly a documentary...)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212364 Feb 13, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>No I am not talking about Moses and the passover, I'm talking about the slaughter of everyone in Jabesh-gilead were 400 virgins were given to men they knew not.
And I'm talking about Mose command to kill all of the Midianites as "Now kill all the boys and all the women who have slept with a man. Only the young girls who are virgins may live; you may keep them for yourselves."
So am I to understand that in the entire Globe only 7 people believed in God" Really? World-wide, only 7 people? And what documentation have you to show this to be true?
So you God has an escape plan? If someone believed in NIKE the winged Goddess, and felt confident that she would protect them if the jumped from a very high cliff, do you think they should? Would they be protected? Why is your Gods escape plan any more valid than Nike's? I can find stories about both, what makes your God more valid than any other God?
Thee is NO evidence that the Egyptians held Hebrews as slaves. As I said before there has never been any archeological evidence that the hebrews wandered in the desert for 40 years, not one shard of pottery, not one bone. They find cave painting hundreds of thousands of years old, burial pits full of bones, but thousands wandering in a desert for 40 years nada--zip--zilch!!!
This issue with Hitler was how the Catholic Church treated him. celebrated his birthday, turned over documents to the SS that allowed people to be imprisoned, tortured, and killed, and never excommunicated him for these horrendous crimes against humanity.
Yep.

Hannibal took 40,000 troops and many elephants over a distance over 10 times as far, and only took half a year.

Yet 10 times that many people could not travel the distance a modern marathoner could do in a day....

... yes, those Hebrews were idiots. Fictional, but still idiots.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#212365 Feb 13, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't be mean Doctor. You are a better man than that.
Atheism is the proud belief in “Nothingism.”
Strage thing to say, I don't even know what nothingism means. Cna you define nothingism? Atheism is the proud idea that accepting anything without sufficient evidence is foolish. It's the proud stance of skepticism, and proud of being a critical thinker. Nothingims? You go me!!!

My life is far from having nothing in it, if thats what you mean. I'll bet you're talking about that safety net you Thesis carry with you, the life after death idea. You do realize that's a very self-centered egotistical position, right? Everything else in the cosmos will cease to exist at some point, galaxies, stars, solar systems, but you are so special you get to never truly die. And to make this position even more self-centered, only the members of your exclusive club get this ticket to eternal life. It's the antidote to darkness and the unknown, to the mystery of death, used by frightened superstitious people. A desperate childlike mentality.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#212366 Feb 13, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you seen the list of deaths done by your fellow man?
Holy freaking cow Doctor.
So you put your God on an equal plain with man? You don't think your God should be above the frailties of mer men? You think your God should share the same undesirable traits as men? In the end, you don't hold your God to a very high standard do you? He's no better than the most depraved human. Nice god you worship there. Loving, compassionate, just, forgiving..........don't think so.........try Genocidal maniac, capricious, guilty of infanticide, uncaring and cruel. There ya go, much better!!!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#212367 Feb 13, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep.
Hannibal took 40,000 troops and many elephants over a distance over 10 times as far, and only took half a year.
Yet 10 times that many people could not travel the distance a modern marathoner could do in a day....
... yes, those Hebrews were idiots. Fictional, but still idiots.
Do you know the exact area in miles the hebrews were supposed to have wandered for 40 years? Just curious. I know it wasn't that large but I don't think I ever saw the exact dimensions.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#212368 Feb 13, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>... yes... where is their god, when millions of small kids starve to death? Just because it didn't rain in their area... again...?

... and where was their god, when more than two thousand people were trapped in collapsing buildings?

Was their god in the cockpit, with the god-fearing pilots?

Their gods all come from the same legend, after all....

.... it's all just bullshty.
Yes, their god stories are bullsh!t.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212369 Feb 13, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Do you know the exact area in miles the hebrews were supposed to have wandered for 40 years? Just curious. I know it wasn't that large but I don't think I ever saw the exact dimensions.
It's about the length of modern Israel/Palestine. Think: from the Jordan river, to the Egyptian border/red sea.

Not a great distance. Not even much of a desert, really.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212370 Feb 13, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, their god stories are bullsh!t.
agreed.
blimp

Howell, MI

#212371 Feb 13, 2014
I can't find any physical proof that God is not real..

but I can find proof that Atleast the will of God is real..

whatever you do to others he makes be done unto you..

so he's gotta be real!! I MEAN Ccome the heck on you guys are reading the bible wrong if you don't believe in him!

The reason your prayers are not answered is because you entered an environement of cursedness in which someone else was suffering an deep within their subconcsiouss minds they cried out to God against you without realizing it and that's the real reason bad stuff is happening .. even the act of me telling you this if you are the one in a bad situation you have also probably cried out to god against me perhaps something may happen to me now because of me discussing your plights so he can even us out which sucks but..
blimp

Howell, MI

#212372 Feb 13, 2014
I neeed to go back to history class they Almost de converted me but I just there were facts missing.. like before jesus wasn't their Abraham and stufff??

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#212373 Feb 13, 2014
blimp wrote:
so he's gotta be real!! I MEAN Ccome the heck on you guys are reading the bible wrong if you don't believe in him!
The reason your prayers are not answered is because you entered an environement of cursedness in which someone else was suffering an deep within their subconcsiouss minds they cried out to God against you without realizing it and that's the real reason bad stuff is happening .. even the act of me telling you this if you are the one in a bad situation you have also probably cried out to god against me perhaps something may happen to me now because of me discussing your plights so he can even us out which sucks but..
You can't find physical proof the invisible pink unicorn isn't real either, bless her holy hooves!
And bless your heart!

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#212374 Feb 13, 2014
blimp wrote:
I neeed to go back to history class they Almost de converted me but I just there were facts missing.. like before jesus wasn't their Abraham and stufff??
It is far from certain Jesus existed. Abraham is almost certainly mythological.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#212375 Feb 13, 2014
blimp wrote:
Incoherence is a helluva thing.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212376 Feb 13, 2014
blimp wrote:
Nope. During the aforementioned praying? I was just like you-- a True Believer™. I honestly believed that god would listen to my prayers.

It took me years of god not answering, or "answering" with a flat no, to realize that perpetual no is the exact same answer that a fictional character would give.

But I finally realized that; god is not real.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 11 min thetruth 40,472
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 14 min thetruth 16,001
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 1 hr Thinking 229
News "Being an atheist does not mean being anti-Chri... (Dec '14) 5 hr Patrick 51
News Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 5 hr Patrick 24,071
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 5 hr Patrick 4,657
A Universe from Nothing? 9 hr u196533dm 56
More from around the web