Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#212196 Feb 12, 2014
Zachary Gima wrote:
<quoted text>Could you define Xianism please? This is not to be confused with Zionism, correct?
It's a lot like writing xmas, the fun part is when the xtians start jumping up and down in their cages, screeching about bananas and whatnot.

“Resources For The Future”

Since: Feb 14

Los Angeles, CA

#212197 Feb 12, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a lot like writing xmas, the fun part is when the xtians start jumping up and down in their cages, screeching about bananas and whatnot.
Okay gotcha. Another one of those religious abominations to believers and fairly tale high jinks to those who donít

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212198 Feb 12, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
PHEW!!
I seemed to have managed to avoid your radar!
:o)
Well - to some people anyhow....hopefully I'm not included in your "group".
;o)
naaahh.... you're just mostly harmless (to quote Douglass Adams).

:D
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#212199 Feb 12, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh the irony of the above pack'o'bullshyt.
Lovely.
The above bullshitter really hates it when people throw his own pile of manure back at him.
But that's not the main irony.
The funniest and most ironic statement in the above?
Is the final line....
.....!!!
Yes, it's true... an actual, certified, self-proven dumbass has accused someone else of being one.
LMAO!
How very Atheist of you.

I see you are continuing to be congenial and making friends.

Bob, itís only February. You have a whole year to go to spew hate. Pace yourself my friend.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212200 Feb 12, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Really.
Care to do a comparative kill list of religious violence for today?
Gay couples have a piece of paper claiming that your mutually sterile, pointlessly duplicate gendered relationship equates to marriage. That distinction bothers you immensely, in spite of your claim otherwise.
You know as well as I do that nothing can change the inferior status of your relationship. It is visibly a counterfeit, scientifically defective mating behavior, factually fallacious and socially a forced sympathy to denial.
Smile.
I have all of history from which to choose-- your religion is **still** responsible for more atrocity than any other-- if you factor in the ratio of people per 1000 killed because of your sort of faith.

The muslims have much catching up to do-- if they wish to surpass your religion's ugly record.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#212201 Feb 12, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Our side of the cage is open.[laughing]

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212202 Feb 12, 2014
Zachary Gima wrote:
<quoted text>Could you define Xianism please? This is not to be confused with Zionism, correct?
Genuine Christianityô.

The little ô is important--- if you listen to it's proponents, they *will* chastise you for leaving it out.

Not to be confused with other sorts of christianity-- the groups who don't abuse their followers.

Yes, yes, I know those are in the minority, if the USA is an example.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212203 Feb 12, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed, they do.

;)
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#212204 Feb 12, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
My Beloved Music Doctor,
Atheism has never been used as a cure to addictions. Those of us who have had family or friends hopelessly addicted. Can tell you that these addictions are more powerful than the addicted.
Breaking away is not as simple as critical thinking, skepticism, and inner strength. It takes strength that goes beyond what man can muster to overcome these addictions.
I realize you are a strong man in your mind.
And feeling strong as you do you feel as if you could conquer any addiction. Not so my good friend. These addictions are bigger than you. There are some secular treatments for drug addiction. But the success rate is very low.
The late Philip Seymour Hoffman was a intelligent man, successful but hopelessly addicted to drugs. He did not have a strong religious affiliation. He wasnít a regular member of any church. He was a man standing on his own two feet and fighting these powerful addictions.
Alone, secret from his tradecraft he fought the battle and lost. Strong people fall my good Doctor, and they fall all the time. It takes a power that comes from God to overcome.
You failed to mention that he was clean and sober since he was twenty two without god's assistance. Yeah, yeah, I know - god would have helped him with his relapse.

“Resources For The Future”

Since: Feb 14

Los Angeles, CA

#212205 Feb 12, 2014
<quoted text>
I have all of history from which to choose-- your religion is **still** responsible for more atrocity than any other-- if you factor in the ratio of people per 1000 killed because of your sort of faith.
The muslims have much catching up to do-- if they wish to surpass your religion's ugly record.
Even though I am not a communist sympathizer, I repeat I AM NOT a communist sympathizer, when the collapse of the Soviet Union took place and in particular the Republic of Yugoslavia was dissolved, religious repression was lifted. Once this happened, friendly neighbors for 30 years or more instantly became mortal enemies based on religious and ethnic differences with genocide ensuing immediately.

Location hidden

#212206 Feb 12, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>Our side of the cage is open.[laughing]
Which cage?

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#212207 Feb 12, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
Your guys said ACA would create jobs.
Fox News said, no, it will not.
CBO just said it will cost 2 million jobs over 10 years.
Just to give an example of how Fox New twists things...

No, that is NOT what the CBO said. In fact, the CBO has been quite emphatic saying that is not what they said.

What they DID say was that about 2 million people would leave jobs they only held in order to get health coverage. The jobs will not be destroyed. They will not disappear. They will still be there, offered by the employers to other workers currently unemployed. No jobs lost. The CBO tried to make this very clear in their report, but Fox still twisted it to say that jobs would be destroyed.

In fact, because of this, unemployment will go down.

Yup, Fox News lies.

And Buck believes them.

#212208 Feb 12, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, when I was still to be counted a Christian, the Xmas thing was one they really ranted about. Leaving the Christ out of Christmas.

BUT...from early Christian times, X was a symbol for Christ, a version of the cross. Early Christians would have considered Xmas and Xtian as perfectly acceptable terminology.

But Christians have always had a persecution complex, and they absolutely LOVE to gripe about how downtrodden they are. This is just one more aspect of their faux outrage.

#212209 Feb 12, 2014
<quoted text>
Christianity had a 500 year head start, and has always had more followers than Islam.

#212210 Feb 12, 2014
Zachary Gima wrote:
<quoted text>Even though I am not a communist sympathizer, I repeat I AM NOT a communist sympathizer, when the collapse of the Soviet Union took place and in particular the Republic of Yugoslavia was dissolved, religious repression was lifted. Once this happened, friendly neighbors for 30 years or more instantly became mortal enemies based on religious and ethnic differences with genocide ensuing immediately.
What made the former Yugoslavia really bad is that you had 3 major religious groups...Roman Catholics, Orthodox Christians and Muslims...all intermixed. And all claiming the others were the spawn of Satan. Hatreds there go back centuries.

Just to point out, Yugoslavia was not under the thumb of the Soviet Union. It had a rather milder form of Communism. It did not, however, put up with sectarian violence.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#212211 Feb 12, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
My ancestors left the UK, and Europe for a reason.
From this migration based on hope and faith a nation was born. Unlike any nation on the Earth. The only nation that has sent men to walk on the moon. The most powerful superpower on the face of the Earth. The United States of America.
It is my observation mans inhumanity to mankind supersedes anything that God has done. Yet you ridicule God why your fellow man waits to kill you.
Yes it is this same God that freed the slaves from the hardships in Egypt. He must not have been committed to slavery that much since he set the slaves free. It is this act that gave courage to those African Americans who were in bondage.
For they cried out to God for freedom and freedom did come. For today this great nation has a President of African ancestry. And there will be others to follow in history.
This same God never once condoned rape of any kind. It was forbidden. Although it is commonly perceived by those lacking in faith to skew the truth. The facts are and will be forever that rape is a sin and a crime against humanity.
And Hitler whom you Atheist frequently and proudly proclaim was a Christian. Has his place in the lake of fire with Satan his father. For this we know that people claim to be and what they are in reality can be completely different.
For Hitler had the demonic mind of psychopathic killer that masked himself under auspices of Christianity. Only a fool would believe him to be a genuine Christian. And not to our surprise fools believe this nonsense.
Ok, point by point:

1.) Man's inhumanity towards man is indeed horrific, and it occurs for many reasons, but you can't avoid the fact that is some, not all cases, religion was the cause, as in the crusades and the inquisition. Greed, power, and in some cases survival, were the causes. But shall we examine the biggest case of genocide on the planet, and its cause? According to your bible your God flooded the entire planet, killing everything, men, women, children, babies, fetuses, animals, plants, fish, and the reason? Not greed, not for power, certainly not for survival, but because he was angry. Doesn't this seem like kind of a silly reason to slaughter all life on the planet save a few? No mi'm sure you will find some twisted excuse for this wanton act of murder.

2.)Your God commanded Moses to lay waste to an entire city, hundreds of thousands of men, women and children, animals to. He then ordered Moses to spare all of the virgins, just how this was determined makes my skin crawl. These virgins, as God instructed, were to be given to the soldiers as "spoils of war" Now don't for one moment tell me that you are so naive that you think hardened men being awarded a young virgin simply held her hand and and asked her to cook him a meal. How many of these young girls who had just watched their fathers, mothers, brothers, slaughtered, were anxious to have sexual relations with men who had murdered their families? How many under a normal circumstance would have willingly lied down for a stranger? Do you know what it is called when a young girl has sex forced on her, thats right, it's called RAPE and your God was fully aware of what would happen to these young girls when handed over to these soldiers. Your God therefore condones rape.

3.)There is NO evidence that God freed the slaves for Egypt, nor is there any evidence that that the Egyptians held thousands of Hebrew slaves. Israeli Archeologists scoured the desert looking for any evidence that thousands had wander in this area for 40 years. They unearthed NO artifacts, NO bones, NO burial sites, they found NOTHING were thousands of people roamed for 40 years. Conclusion.........The exodus never happened, just another fictitious story in your holy book.

Location hidden

#212212 Feb 12, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, when I was still to be counted a Christian, the Xmas thing was one they really ranted about. Leaving the Christ out of Christmas.

BUT...from early Christian times, X was a symbol for Christ, a version of the cross. Early Christians would have considered Xmas and Xtian as perfectly acceptable terminology.

But Christians have always had a persecution complex, and they absolutely LOVE to gripe about how downtrodden they are. This is just one more aspect of their faux outrage.
Maybe if their church didn't kill and abuse so many, someone might care or even believe they're downtrodden.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#212213 Feb 12, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
My ancestors left the UK, and Europe for a reason.
From this migration based on hope and faith a nation was born. Unlike any nation on the Earth. The only nation that has sent men to walk on the moon. The most powerful superpower on the face of the Earth. The United States of America.
It is my observation mans inhumanity to mankind supersedes anything that God has done. Yet you ridicule God why your fellow man waits to kill you.
Yes it is this same God that freed the slaves from the hardships in Egypt. He must not have been committed to slavery that much since he set the slaves free. It is this act that gave courage to those African Americans who were in bondage.
For they cried out to God for freedom and freedom did come. For today this great nation has a President of African ancestry. And there will be others to follow in history.
This same God never once condoned rape of any kind. It was forbidden. Although it is commonly perceived by those lacking in faith to skew the truth. The facts are and will be forever that rape is a sin and a crime against humanity.
And Hitler whom you Atheist frequently and proudly proclaim was a Christian. Has his place in the lake of fire with Satan his father. For this we know that people claim to be and what they are in reality can be completely different.
For Hitler had the demonic mind of psychopathic killer that masked himself under auspices of Christianity. Only a fool would believe him to be a genuine Christian. And not to our surprise fools believe this nonsense.
Continued:

4.) Hitler made references to your God in many of his speeches, the word GOD was present on the belt buckle of every single soldier in his army. The Catholic Church celebrated his birthday on many occasions, and he was NEVER excommunicated by the Church for his crimes against mankind.

Hitler is simply dead, as are all those who's lives have ended, there is no evidence that life continues after death and certainly no evidence for either heaven or hell. I'm always at a loss to figure out why you think some kind of cosmic justice exists.

You doctrine is so dysfunctional, here is a prime example.

Rejecting Jesus and or God is considered the one unpardonable sin punishable by being throw into those lakes of fire you think exist. I could in fact be a very decent human being, a loving husband and father, going out of my way the help the needy, give to charities, but because I am unable, due to the critical thinking ability given to me by this God, to believe in Jesus or God, I am condemned to eternal torture.

Now we have a serial killer who specializes in young children. He lives to commit horrendous acts of cruelty. He kidnaps, and then slowly, ever so slowly tortures them. He keeps them alive for days and weeks, the agony for these poor children never seems to end. And when he tires of his sick game, he rapes and then murders them. A prime candidate for eternal torture right? Wrong, all this sick individual must do is to be "saved" renounce his sins and accept Jesus Christ as his savior, and he has punched his ticket to eternal bliss in heaven.

It's a sick and twisted doctrine, how anyone with any intelligence can accept such bullshit will remain a mystery to me.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#212214 Feb 12, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I equated specific points of the Creation story to science.
You didn't because you can't.
Smirk.
No you DIDN'T equate specific points of the creation story to science, you re-interprited them so you could get them to align with science. This is not only extremely dishonest and desperate, it's down right stupid. Point of fact, the order of creation stated in Genesis does not even come close to the order that science shows us to be true. Meaningless words in a holy book verses evidence based information provided by science. It's no contest for the intelligent and critical thinkers. Sorry you're not on the list!!!!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212215 Feb 12, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Christianity had a 500 year head start, and has always had more followers than Islam.
Yes, that's true. If you factor it as deaths per 1000 people, they hold a record that is unlikely to ever be surpassed by anyone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 3 hr spellmeout 14,657
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 3 hr woodtick57 6,706
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr Patrick n Angela 18,882
News .com | What hope is there without God? 6 hr Amused 2
News Confessions of a black atheist 6 hr thetruth 478
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 6 hr thetruth 2,099
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 13 hr Pete-o 7,409
More from around the web