Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 10,178)

Showing posts 203,541 - 203,560 of217,734
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2014

Judged:

Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Pascals wager is invalid. There is no life insurance for a skeptic. By contrast, treasonous atheists have once accepted Christ and the COST, your life. They then reneged and broke covenant . There is a lot of speciousness in your post. Its good to gather with friends and family and give to the ministry, trusting them. Kimare may be unsavory but Jesus is still Lord. A live dog is better than a dead lion.
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> A live dog is better than a dead lion.
Not if you're really hungry.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2014

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>So in the case of the Virgin Mary, all of the laws of nature were suspended? Don't you find it a bit curious that she never mentioned the experience to anyone?
You have a story told in an ancient book about an event that medical science says is basically impossible, there is no explanation other than the term immaculate conception, a purely religious term, meaning virtually nothing. And this you believe, simply because of a story in your holy book, no evidence, just a story. Yet you refuse to believe in something for which there are mountains of scientific data, physical evidence, a process that can be witnessed, and for which the most reliable of all sources, DNA point to the irrefutable facts of evolution. Sigh..........such is the poison that religion brings to mankind!!!
You forget the story of Sarah, a ninety year old woman becomes pregnant. Even she laughed at the thought of getting pregnant. Yet the Lord fulfilled his promise he made to Abraham and Sara conceived and gave birth at 90 years old.

Isaac was born and his name meant ďlaughter.Ē Because God always has the last laugh when it comes to doubt.

Now before you say Abraham and Sarah never existed. You might want to go to Hebron and visit their graves. God can do the impossible.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2014

Judged:

Darwins Stepchild wrote:
HBO is airing a show titled, "Questioning Darwin"
It will be on 6:30 AM, 2:45 PM and 4:45 PM Thursday the 13th and 3:00 AM and 5;00 AM Friday the14th, all times both Eastern time on HBO E and Western time on HBO W.

Still plodding through The Bible's Buried Secrets, with AIB Presents: Atheist in the Bible Belt next in the queue.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2014

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Correct, it's a small world for people who believe without evidence, and shun reliable demonstrable evidence. It's a SMALL world filled with mythical beings and magical places, were the laws of nature mean nothing, it's a very small world compared to the world that actually exists, were everything is real and can be explained, were there are limitless possibilities thanks to science. Yes you are correct, you live in a very small shallow world.
I live on top of a hill Doctor.[smiling][tipping hat]
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2014

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
You're talking about illusions and sleight of hand, like a stage performer. He's talking about supernaturalism - the suspension of the laws of physics.
<quoted text>
That is unlikely.
And yes, you do believe in magic if you believe that bona fide miracles occur. Miracles (the literal sense of the word) such as willing water to become wine are magic (the supernatural sense). Such things are not known to occur.
I understand the correlation youíre making.

Iím sure some magic has occurred but magic represents the dark side (evil). The occult and Satanism. To a non believer such as yourself you see no difference. But there is a difference between the supernatural events that occur because of witchcraft and the occult.

Versus the miracles that have occurred by the One True God. I shall give you an example. When Moses met Pharaoh and Pharaoh asked for proof. Moses threw down his staff and it turned into a snake. Pharaoh magicians came and duplicated the event.

But the snake representing Godís miracle consumed the Pharaohís snakes. And there are snakes that eat other snakes. Like for example the Texas King Snake.

My point being is there is a difference.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2014

Judged:

Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. hi ya KiMare ..
.. why are you posting scripture on an Atheist thread ??..
Why do people climb Mt Everest?

A. Because they want too.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2014

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Not if you're really hungry.
.. yes ..

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2014

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2014

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
My good Doctor you humor me.
The miracles that I have seen have nothing to do with lost wedding rings and peanut butter.
Nor do they have anything to do with images of the Virgin Mary.
Those that have personally witnessed were astonishing and breath taking.
I havenít seen them every month or even every year but I have seen them. Those miracles were so incredible, I canít share them with you because of your unbelief.
When you have someone who has had a personal experience. That experience is not diminished because someone doesnít believe them.
Such as the experience that happened to Saul on the way to Damascus. He was a law enforcement officer, gang leader, murder, leader of a lynch mob, terrorist and it all came to an end with a experience with God.
Correct, personal experiences or anecdotal testimony does not constitute as evidence. That you believe it is meaningless in the eyes of skeptics. You could simply be having a delusional experience that seems very real to you.

Saul on his way to Damascus is anecdotal, it's a story from ancient book, to say this is evidence is to say that all of the Greek mythologies are also real.

Try as you might, you have no observable, reliable, verifiable evidence for these miracles you claimed happened.

Question, answer truthfully if possible. Why don't you have every door in your house adorned with garlic? It does keep vampires at bay, are you not afraid of vampires?
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2014

Judged:

Tide with Beach wrote:
I listen to the song. How fitting the Beatles have been around now for 50 years. But I think this one backfired on you as the meaning of the lyrics is below.

Paul McCartney wrote this song. It's about a man who is considered a fool by others, but whose foolish demeanor is actually an indication of wisdom.

An event which prompted this song happened when Paul was walking his dog, Martha, on Primrose Hill one morning. As he watched the sun rise, he noticed that Martha was missing. Paul turned around to look for his dog, and there a man stood, who appeared on the hill without making a sound. The gentleman was dressed respectably, in a belted raincoat. Paul knew this man had not been there seconds earlier as he had looked in that direction for Martha. Paul and the stranger exchanged a greeting, and this man then spoke of what a beautiful view it was from the top of this hill that overlooked London. Within a few seconds, Paul looked around again, and the man was gone. He had vanished as he had appeared. A friend of McCartney's, Alistair Taylor, was present with Paul during this strange incident, and wrote of this event in his book, Yesterday.

Both Paul and Alistair could not imagine what happened to this man. He had seemed to vanish in thin air. The nearest trees for cover were too far to reach by walking or running in a few seconds, and the crest of the hill was too far as well to reach in that short time. What made the experience even more mysterious, was that just before this man first appeared, Paul and Alistair were speaking to each other of the beauty they observed of the view towards London and the existence of God. Once back home, they spent the morning discussing what had happened, trying to make some sense of it. They both agreed that this was something others were infer occurred as a result of an "acid trip," but they both swore they had not taken or used any drugs. When Paul filmed the sequence for this song in the film, it shows him on a hilltop overlooking the town of Nice.(thanks, Gavin - Hampden, MA)

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php...
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2014

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Correct, personal experiences or anecdotal testimony does not constitute as evidence. That you believe it is meaningless in the eyes of skeptics. You could simply be having a delusional experience that seems very real to you.
Saul on his way to Damascus is anecdotal, it's a story from ancient book, to say this is evidence is to say that all of the Greek mythologies are also real.
Try as you might, you have no observable, reliable, verifiable evidence for these miracles you claimed happened.
Question, answer truthfully if possible. Why don't you have every door in your house adorned with garlic? It does keep vampires at bay, are you not afraid of vampires?
I havenít spent a lot of time in courtrooms but I was on a Jury on two occasions. One was a civil case and the other was a criminal case.

And testimony from witnesses is considered evidence. We both know that personal testimony can be fabricated but it can also be factual.

This is why we have Juries.

Why I donít have garlic on every door of my house?

I happen to like a little garlic and there may have been times trace elements were on every door of the house. I donít believe in human vampires except the oneís at the local blood bank.

Iíve given 7 gallons of blood over my lifetime. Thatís not as much as some but there are millions that have never even given one unit of blood.

Now on the issue of miracles. Doctor, I donít need no observable, reliable, verifiable evidence because I donít need convincing, I saw them with other people.

Itís kind of like Jose Salvador Alvarenga's epic survival story. You are a seaman Doctor, you understand what can go wrong at sea. Yet there are people doubting Alvarengaís story. He doesnít have to prove anything to anyone. He lived the experience.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2014

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I know your sisters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2014

Judged:

Darwins Stepchild wrote:
HBO is airing a show titled, "Questioning Darwin"
Mark Joseph of Slate has written a review titled,ďThe Cruelty of Creationism.Ē
He says in one place...
"Creationism, the documentary reveals, isnít a harmless,compartmentalized fantasy. Itís a suffocating, oppressive worldview through which believers must interpret realityóand its primary target is children. For creationists, intellectual inquiry is a sin, and anyone who dares to doubt the wisdom of their doctrine invites eternal damnation. Thatís the perverse brilliance of creationism, the key to its self-perpetuation: First it locks kids in the dungeon of ignorance and dogmatic fundamentalism. Then it throws away the key."
Even worse, I heard some teach their children that donuts are infinite in length.

Perverse, indeed.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2014

Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
'Bongo' the short way to spell 'brain washed'.
How do you know you have the right god, there are 40+ versions of the bibull, 32000+ different gods, 38000+ versions of christianity and 4 billion Hindi gods with all faiths saying the same thing "this is the one true god".
Which right god?

“Truth and kindness”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2014

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I havenít spent a lot of time in courtrooms but I was on a Jury on two occasions. One was a civil case and the other was a criminal case.
And testimony from witnesses is considered evidence. We both know that personal testimony can be fabricated but it can also be factual.
This is why we have Juries.
Why I donít have garlic on every door of my house?
I happen to like a little garlic and there may have been times trace elements were on every door of the house. I donít believe in human vampires except the oneís at the local blood bank.
Iíve given 7 gallons of blood over my lifetime. Thatís not as much as some but there are millions that have never even given one unit of blood.
Now on the issue of miracles. Doctor, I donít need no observable, reliable, verifiable evidence because I donít need convincing, I saw them with other people.
Itís kind of like Jose Salvador Alvarenga's epic survival story. You are a seaman Doctor, you understand what can go wrong at sea. Yet there are people doubting Alvarengaís story. He doesnít have to prove anything to anyone. He lived the experience.
He seems to be way too fat to have been lost that long and eating raw fish. He should have been skin and bones by now. Unless he started out 3-4 hundred pounds.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2014

Judged:

<quoted text>
Thanks for sharing your mythology.
Would you like to see any of the myths of the other virgin births I just referred to? I'm guessing not. I'm guessing that you would find it about as interesting and useful as the above.
<quoted text>
Are you claiming that your scriptures prophesied artificial insemination with myths of virgin births? If so, you have to give the credit to the oldest virgin birth myth. I don't know which one that would be, but several of the other myths are centuries older.
<quoted text>
You're projecting with the smirking part. but yes, we scoff at your myths and your fantastic claims about scripture anticipating science..
I told Dad my girlfriend was a virgin.

It pissed him off. He said if she ain't good enough for her own family, she ain't good enough for ours.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2014

Judged:

<quoted text>
Apart from there being no atheist belief system, your argument simply underscores how readily and frequently mankind makes up religions and believes them even though at most, only one of them could be correct, and how these mythologies can become major systems of belief subsuming the lives of millions of people for centuries despite there being zero basis in fact for them.
Since we know with certainty that this happens commonly, and that at least all but one are baseless fables, the question becomes why should we believe that even one of them is right, and if we did, on what basis could we pick one from the others? None better than accident of birth coupled with the will to believe without reason.
Notice that there is only one atheism.
"Can you explain why there are several hundred thousand gods accepted by different religious people, but only one periodic table accepted by different scientists?" - anon
Yes. It's the same reason that there are so many creation myths and only one scientific explanation for the development of the universe from a singularity and for the common descent of the tree of life from a single primordial cell.
Incidentally, if you ever get a hankering to look at some other creation myths besides the one thrown into your playpen, you can check here:
http://www.gly.uga.edu/railsback/CS/CSIndex.h...
http://www.magictails.com/creationlinks.html
Regarding your claim that your myth anticipated the Big Bang despite it getting absolutely nothing else right apart from the single concept that our universe had a beginning, please note that each of these also gets just that one fact and none other right.
Did you still want to claim that either your religion, your virgin birth myth, or your creation myth are somehow special or prophetic?
Which atheist belief system do you believe to be non-existent?

That one, too?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2014

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I told Dad my girlfriend was a virgin.
It pissed him off. He said if she ain't good enough for her own family, she ain't good enough for ours.
You finally said something ,I believe you are being honest about..lol

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2014

Eagle 12 wrote:
I listen to the song. How fitting the Beatles have been around now for 50 years. But I think this one backfired on you as the meaning of the lyrics is below.
Paul McCartney wrote this song. It's about a man who is considered a fool by others, but whose foolish demeanor is actually an indication of wisdom.
An event which prompted this song happened when Paul was walking his dog, Martha, on Primrose Hill one morning. As he watched the sun rise, he noticed that Martha was missing. Paul turned around to look for his dog, and there a man stood, who appeared on the hill without making a sound. The gentleman was dressed respectably, in a belted raincoat. Paul knew this man had not been there seconds earlier as he had looked in that direction for Martha. Paul and the stranger exchanged a greeting, and this man then spoke of what a beautiful view it was from the top of this hill that overlooked London. Within a few seconds, Paul looked around again, and the man was gone. He had vanished as he had appeared. A friend of McCartney's, Alistair Taylor, was present with Paul during this strange incident, and wrote of this event in his book, Yesterday.
Both Paul and Alistair could not imagine what happened to this man. He had seemed to vanish in thin air. The nearest trees for cover were too far to reach by walking or running in a few seconds, and the crest of the hill was too far as well to reach in that short time. What made the experience even more mysterious, was that just before this man first appeared, Paul and Alistair were speaking to each other of the beauty they observed of the view towards London and the existence of God. Once back home, they spent the morning discussing what had happened, trying to make some sense of it. They both agreed that this was something others were infer occurred as a result of an "acid trip," but they both swore they had not taken or used any drugs. When Paul filmed the sequence for this song in the film, it shows him on a hilltop overlooking the town of Nice.(thanks, Gavin - Hampden, MA)
http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php...
I posted the song as a joke, not as an argument. The meaning of the song has nothing to say about whether or not you are foolish.

It's my favourite Beatles song.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2014

Judged:

<quoted text>
Apart from there being no atheist belief system, your argument simply underscores how readily and frequently mankind makes up religions and believes them even though at most, only one of them could be correct, and how these mythologies can become major systems of belief subsuming the lives of millions of people for centuries despite there being zero basis in fact for them.
Since we know with certainty that this happens commonly, and that at least all but one are baseless fables, the question becomes why should we believe that even one of them is right, and if we did, on what basis could we pick one from the others? None better than accident of birth coupled with the will to believe without reason.
Notice that there is only one atheism.
"Can you explain why there are several hundred thousand gods accepted by different religious people, but only one periodic table accepted by different scientists?" - anon
Yes. It's the same reason that there are so many creation myths and only one scientific explanation for the development of the universe from a singularity and for the common descent of the tree of life from a single primordial cell.
Incidentally, if you ever get a hankering to look at some other creation myths besides the one thrown into your playpen, you can check here:
http://www.gly.uga.edu/railsback/CS/CSIndex.h...
http://www.magictails.com/creationlinks.html
Regarding your claim that your myth anticipated the Big Bang despite it getting absolutely nothing else right apart from the single concept that our universe had a beginning, please note that each of these also gets just that one fact and none other right.
Did you still want to claim that either your religion, your virgin birth myth, or your creation myth are somehow special or prophetic?
Atheism has a doctrine of God, a doctrine of origins, a doctrine of the ascent of man, a doctrine of sin, a doctrine of salvation, prophecy, and an eschatology.

It's doctrines are different than others.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 203,541 - 203,560 of217,734
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••