Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 245049 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#212170 Feb 12, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I'm the one who got nailed.
Let me ask you this - did they at least give you magic beans, or did you give it all for just a promise that can't be verified and doesn't have to be kept?
Keep in mind that this promise comes from the same source that promised you that you could move mountains with faith and that Jesus would come again soon, and that promised that you the fruits of the spirit including, "love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control." Did you get those?
You have yourself a blessed day, will you?
Did you think I did it because I'd get something back?

What self-centered idiocy.

You still have no reasoned response to the prophecy of Jesus. STILL being fulfilled right in your face. I guess that is why you shifted from stupid scoffing to childish taunts.

Smirk.

Location hidden

#212171 Feb 12, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I already did. Put your cursor over the blue underlined words, click, and read. If that's not enough, look for a site called Google.com . Or just let me Google that for you (LMGTFY):
http://lmgtfy.com/...
I did. They didn't say what you claimed. Aside from the fact that those have been debunked.

I'm just asking you to validate the first five. What's wrong?

Smile.

Location hidden

#212172 Feb 12, 2014
<quoted text>
Do you know what an atheist is? It is a single idea: "I reject all unsubstantiated god claims," which is all of them to date. On that, yes, we all agree.
<quoted text>
Read my responses again. I detailed the criteria for quality prophecy and explained why your stuff and lightbeamrider's doesn't make the grade. They lack specificity, are generally mundane, in one case it was self-fulfilling, and in every case, your prophecies are drowning in a sea of failed prophecies surrounding them.
I also compared religious prophecy with scientific prophecy. Yours didn't fare so well.
Shall I find those posts for you?
You seem to think that your use of the word "scoff" defeats a rebuttal. It doesn't. Your claims such as the ones in this post to which I responded are scoffworthy.
Don't be silly. You and I know that not all atheists agree on the basis for atheism.

I could care less about your criteria, especially when you show bias in applying it.

You tried to equate scriptural prophecy and scientific theory. They don't.

You are still trying to pass scoffing off as a rebuttal. It isn't.

Smile.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#212173 Feb 12, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
No one that I’m aware of has been delivered from drug and alcohol addictions because of Atheism. This thought of trading one addition for another may be true. But trading a self destructing drug addiction for a non self destructive addiction seems like a win for the society and the redeemed.
A lot of these drug/alcohol addicted people are a danger to society. They have problems maintaining employment. They have to steal and commit crimes to acquire their drugs. They drive impaired putting innocent people at risk of being killed or permanently injured.
I’ll think attending church services and singing too loud during song service is an addiction that is welcomed by most of us in society. God is and will be forever the restorer of the souls of men. Bringing the wrecked lives of the wretched unto full restoration by the power of his name. That’s something Atheism can never do.[tipping hat]
Considering the indisputable fact that Atheism promotes critical thinking, skepticism, and inner strength, I would say that all of these traits would contribute a great deal to restoring a wrecked life. With the realization that one must deal with adversity on it's own terms without the aid of an outside agent, promotes a particular kind of inner strength, very useful in recovering from a wrecked life.

Being a skeptic releases one from excepting unsupported claims and demanding evidence for any claim, a very healthy approach to life in general.

Being a critical thinker mean examining "everything" with a critical eye, understanding as much as possible about whatever it is you are examining.

All of these traits prohibit believing on "faith", seeing the world around you for exactly what it is, minus the unfounded and superstitious, claims. This is in fact a very healthy approach to life in general, and anyone trying to recover from an addiction, or other life altering problems, need this kind of attitude, and not the idea that an invisible being for which there is not a shred of evidence, will somehow reach down, take your hand, and guide you through your problems. It's an extremely childish approach to problem solving, not far removed from telling junior, that the tooth fairy will put money under his pillow for a tooth.

It gets worse when extremely ill people are told to pray for help, giving them a false sense of security, since NO prayers have ever been answered, just ask an amputee, or millions of parents who's children have died from hunger or childhood cancers.

It appears as though Atheism may be the most intelligent option for those looking to turn their lives around fighting addiction.

Location hidden

#212174 Feb 12, 2014
<quoted text>
Your creation myth got nothing more right than the Viking or Babylonian creation myths. Here's the Norse creation myth. Please explain how yours is better:
"Odin, Vili, and Vé killed the giant Ymir. The sons of Bor then ... made the world from him. From his blood they made the sea and the lakes; from his flesh the earth; from his hair the trees; and from his bones the mountains. They made rocks and pebbles from his teeth and jaws and those bones that were broken. Maggots appeared in Ymir's flesh and came to life. By the decree of the gods they acquired human understanding and the appearance of men, although they lived in the earth and in rocks. From Ymir's skull the sons of Bor made the sky ... The sons of Bor flung Ymir's brains into the air, and they became the clouds. Then they took the sparks and burning embers that were flying about after they had been blown out of Muspell, and placed them in the midst of Ginnungagap to give light to heaven above and earth beneath. To the stars they gave appointed places and paths.
Here's the Babylonians' myth at http://mesopotamia.mrdonn.org/marduk.html :
"The mighty Marduk took his club and split Tiamat’s body in half. He placed half of her body in the sky and made the heavens. He created the moon to guard the heavens, and set it moving back and forth, on endless patrol. With the other half of Tiamat's body he made the land."
Same challenge. How are your mud man and rib woman any better than that?
And yes, I am scoffing.
I equated specific points of the Creation story to science.

You didn't because you can't.

Smirk.

Location hidden

#212175 Feb 12, 2014
<quoted text>
And high school dropouts outnumber people with doctorate degrees. Did you have a point?
You implied a 'big''we' on here invalidated the prophecies I noted that are fulfilled.

Now you are trying to divert the exposed ploy.

Caught you.

Smile.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#212176 Feb 12, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Not one addiction clinic in the UK is affiliated to any church
Is this the same god who carried out the forst genocide of the entire human race except got a handful of his buddies?
Is this the same god who went around killing children because he did not like Egyptians?
Is this the same god who condoned rape and slavery?
Oh that god, yes he is surely the restorer of the souls of men, Hitler learned well from his book
My ancestors left the UK, and Europe for a reason.

From this migration based on hope and faith a nation was born. Unlike any nation on the Earth. The only nation that has sent men to walk on the moon. The most powerful superpower on the face of the Earth. The United States of America.

It is my observation mans inhumanity to mankind supersedes anything that God has done. Yet you ridicule God why your fellow man waits to kill you.

Yes it is this same God that freed the slaves from the hardships in Egypt. He must not have been committed to slavery that much since he set the slaves free. It is this act that gave courage to those African Americans who were in bondage.

For they cried out to God for freedom and freedom did come. For today this great nation has a President of African ancestry. And there will be others to follow in history.

This same God never once condoned rape of any kind. It was forbidden. Although it is commonly perceived by those lacking in faith to skew the truth. The facts are and will be forever that rape is a sin and a crime against humanity.

And Hitler whom you Atheist frequently and proudly proclaim was a Christian. Has his place in the lake of fire with Satan his father. For this we know that people claim to be and what they are in reality can be completely different.

For Hitler had the demonic mind of psychopathic killer that masked himself under auspices of Christianity. Only a fool would believe him to be a genuine Christian. And not to our surprise fools believe this nonsense.

“Rising”

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#212177 Feb 12, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Smirk.
Fundytards are always tryin to do that, only they do not compute.

“Rising”

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#212178 Feb 12, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You implied a 'big''we' on here invalidated the prophecies I noted that are fulfilled.
Now you are trying to divert the exposed ploy.
Caught you.
Smile.
See statement above.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#212179 Feb 12, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Considering the indisputable fact that Atheism promotes critical thinking, skepticism, and inner strength, I would say that all of these traits would contribute a great deal to restoring a wrecked life. With the realization that one must deal with adversity on it's own terms without the aid of an outside agent, promotes a particular kind of inner strength, very useful in recovering from a wrecked life.
Being a skeptic releases one from excepting unsupported claims and demanding evidence for any claim, a very healthy approach to life in general.
Being a critical thinker mean examining "everything" with a critical eye, understanding as much as possible about whatever it is you are examining.
All of these traits prohibit believing on "faith", seeing the world around you for exactly what it is, minus the unfounded and superstitious, claims. This is in fact a very healthy approach to life in general, and anyone trying to recover from an addiction, or other life altering problems, need this kind of attitude, and not the idea that an invisible being for which there is not a shred of evidence, will somehow reach down, take your hand, and guide you through your problems. It's an extremely childish approach to problem solving, not far removed from telling junior, that the tooth fairy will put money under his pillow for a tooth.
It gets worse when extremely ill people are told to pray for help, giving them a false sense of security, since NO prayers have ever been answered, just ask an amputee, or millions of parents who's children have died from hunger or childhood cancers.
It appears as though Atheism may be the most intelligent option for those looking to turn their lives around fighting addiction.
My Beloved Music Doctor,

Atheism has never been used as a cure to addictions. Those of us who have had family or friends hopelessly addicted. Can tell you that these addictions are more powerful than the addicted.

Breaking away is not as simple as critical thinking, skepticism, and inner strength. It takes strength that goes beyond what man can muster to overcome these addictions.
I realize you are a strong man in your mind.

And feeling strong as you do you feel as if you could conquer any addiction. Not so my good friend. These addictions are bigger than you. There are some secular treatments for drug addiction. But the success rate is very low.

The late Philip Seymour Hoffman was a intelligent man, successful but hopelessly addicted to drugs. He did not have a strong religious affiliation. He wasn’t a regular member of any church. He was a man standing on his own two feet and fighting these powerful addictions.

Alone, secret from his tradecraft he fought the battle and lost. Strong people fall my good Doctor, and they fall all the time. It takes a power that comes from God to overcome.
Bongo

Medford, NY

#212180 Feb 12, 2014
<quoted text>
Thanks, but I don't think any atheist is responsible for the way atheists are regarded.
With your confirmation bias I wouldn't expect you to recognize the likes of Stalin etc. There is a 58% chance of being rounded up and killed should atheism proliferate unrestrained. What about the plethora of wackos who ruin the hearts and minds of children who mistakenly accept them as mentors and role models. Religion is good, its a better way.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#212181 Feb 12, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
The ones that come to mind are studies on prayer. While some studies have come up with a positive result, meta-analysis of many studies show these to be statistical outliers.
What is a statistical outlier? Well, if you have a thousand people guess 10 coin tosses ahead of time, 1 person is likely to get all 10 right. He would be a statistical outlier. BTW...you would also expect 1 person to get all 10 wrong as well. Also a statistical outlier. The vast majority would cluster around 5 right and 5 wrong.
BTW...you can calculate the likely number of people to make a certain number of correct guesses using the binomial theorem
n!/r!(n-r)!
Where n is the total number of tosses and r the number of correct guesses. In the example of 10 coin tosses, with a total of 1024 possible results, approximately 1 in 1024 would get all 10 and approximately 252 in 1024 would get 5 right.
Yes of course, I should have remembered those studies along with the Columbia "Miracle" study, and the Duke Study, and of course the Step Project. Thanks for the reminder, I think I'll go back and revisit all of those studies.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#212182 Feb 12, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong, and wrong.
Atheism has nothing to do with "religious claims". It concerns deities.
Atheism is a belief that no deity exists. It is a belief, same as theism is a belief.
You should have learned about its belief system before you signed on.
Atheism, from the Greek a-theos ("no-god"), is the philosophical position that God doesn't exist. It is distinguished from agnosticism, the argument that it is impossible to know whether God exists or not (Academic American Encyclopedia).
Atheism is the doctrine that there is no God.(Oxford Companion to Philosophy).
Atheism (Greek, a-[private prefix]+ theos, god) is the view that there is no divine being, no God (Dictionary of Philosophy, Thomas Mautner, Editor-1996).
Atheism is the belief that God doesn't exist (The World Book Encyclopedia-1991).
Atheism, the critique and denial of metaphysical beliefs in God or spiritual beings. Atheism is to be distinguished from agnosticism, which leaves open whether there is a god or not, professing to find the question unanswerable, for the atheist, the non-existence of god is a certainty (The New Encyclopedia Britannia-1993).
According to the most usual definition, an atheist is a person who maintains that there is no god…(rejects eccentric definitions of the word)(The Encyclopedia of Philosophy-1967).
Atheism is the doctrine that God does not exist, that belief in the existence of God is a false belief. The word God here refers to a divine being regarded as the independent creator of the world, a being superlatively powerful, wise and good (Encyclopedia of Religion-1987).
Atheism (Greek and Roman): Atheism is a dogmatic creed, consisting in the denial of every kind of supernatural power. Atheism has not often been seriously maintained at any period of civilized thought (Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics-Vol II).
Atheism denies the existence of deity (Funk and Wagnall's New Encyclopedia-Vol I).
Atheism is the rejection of Theistic claims===Atheism is the rejection of Theistic claims===Atheism is the rejection of Theistic claims===Atheism is the rejection of Theistic claims==Atheism is the rejection of Theistic claims.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#212183 Feb 12, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
My Beloved Music Doctor,
Atheism has never been used as a cure to addictions. Those of us who have had family or friends hopelessly addicted. Can tell you that these addictions are more powerful than the addicted.
Breaking away is not as simple as critical thinking, skepticism, and inner strength. It takes strength that goes beyond what man can muster to overcome these addictions.
I realize you are a strong man in your mind.
And feeling strong as you do you feel as if you could conquer any addiction. Not so my good friend. These addictions are bigger than you. There are some secular treatments for drug addiction. But the success rate is very low.
The late Philip Seymour Hoffman was a intelligent man, successful but hopelessly addicted to drugs. He did not have a strong religious affiliation. He wasn’t a regular member of any church. He was a man standing on his own two feet and fighting these powerful addictions.
Alone, secret from his tradecraft he fought the battle and lost. Strong people fall my good Doctor, and they fall all the time. It takes a power that comes from God to overcome.
Throughout this whole treatise, you reflect upon - doing things yourself, "with the help of God".

This would actually be incorrect.

The actions you state above all originate from the action a person takes, not "God".

Please show me where "God" is involved. Meaning - show me a direct statement by "God" that says "He will help" and have success.

THere have been many studies that show religion is just a mental stabilizer, and not the fix.

You are trying to mislead people into thinking that religion is a cure all.

In fact, those of us who do not use religion as a catalyst to get things done, have many successes.....including addiction.

Why do you follow men?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212184 Feb 12, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I've always found that puzzling.
It actually makes me wonder if Faux News and all the Faux pundits are actually parodies. Like the Colbert Report. But people just think they're real.
Could be.

On the other hand, they are consistendly azzholes, so...

... add in the fact that the principle owner of Fox Noise is also a bigot, and azzhole and truly a douchenozzle?

Well....

“Resources For The Future”

Since: Feb 14

Los Angeles, CA

#212185 Feb 12, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Smirk.
Through The Wormhole on Discovery (I believe it was) has an interesting episode on Creationism vs Evolutionism

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212186 Feb 12, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
Hence the difference we see today between Islam and Christianity.
What ignorant, bigoted hate.
I see **no** actual or **functional** difference between xianist hate and islamic hate.

Your post is a perfect example of such hate.

Thanks for playing!

And I agree-- your ignorant, bigoted hate **is** cause for concern.

It's so nice of you to warn us like this.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212187 Feb 12, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Family Guy and American Dad are not on Fox News.
But I always enjoy you and Blob offering incorrect information backed up by unsupported assertions for the purpose of demeaning the credibility of another source.
Rich irony.
But I did not **say** Fox News... did I?

I said, and I quote: "Fox Noise".

I'm so sorry your inability to read is as severe as this.

Sad.

But it **does** explain why you are wrong 99.99999% of the time...

...and the other 0.00001% of the time it's by random chance...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212188 Feb 12, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
.... Family Guy is a show on Fox News.
You lie.

It's what you do.

The **actual** quote was "on Fox Noise".

How sad, for you to be so incredibly STUPID like this.

But typical of a True Believer™.

Lying is your *only* strategy.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212189 Feb 12, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again, Crockthumper.
That is an inaccurate and fraudulent quote. Your quotation shows no indication of the deleted words and presents it as an intact passage.
If you wrote it as "Buck is...an idiot", it would be an exact quote, but it would still be fraudulent in that the idea presented is the opposite of the original idea.
If quoted exactly, an incomplete quotation's integrity depends on the implication it is used for.
I don't expect you to understand this.
By your reasoning, a biblical quote could not be accurate unless the entire Bible were quoted with any passage cited. Can you imagine citing a passage from War and Peace?
You are a dumbass.
Oh the irony of the above pack'o'bullshyt.

Lovely.

The above bullshitter really hates it when people throw his own pile of manure back at him.

But that's not the main irony.

The funniest and most ironic statement in the above?

Is the final line....

.....!!!

Yes, it's true... an actual, certified, self-proven dumbass has accused someone else of being one.

LMAO!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
John 3:16 1 hr Shizle 90
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 2 hr ChristineW 14,668
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr dirtclod 20,647
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 4 hr Gary Coaldigger 11,003
Atheists should stop feeding the stereotypes Sat NightSerf 18
News Si Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty' Star, Says Atheist... Fri thetruth 42
Atheists and the "Moses Syndrome" Fri Shizle 20
More from around the web