Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258512 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Bongo

Miller Place, NY

#212286 Feb 13, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Science has NO understanding about "spiritual things" as they, whatever the f--ck they are, are non-existent. If you want to claim something from the supernatural realm is real, then the ONLY option you have is to call it magic.
Yes, the "STORY" goes.blah blah........A mythical being scooped up a pile of dirt, blew on it, and out popped a fully formed human male. Sounds a lot like godmagic to me. It actually sounds like the most ridiculous explanation for life ever invented. To believe such points to a serious mental disorder. Most people simple accept this premiss without REALLY thinking about it. But taking the time to actually absorb the claim, has to make the intelligent person realize just how foolish such a claim really is.
Lagoonish platitudes. Where do your thoughts come from? What about your being and abilities?

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#212287 Feb 13, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Majoring in the minors again, little man?
Anytime you post to Bongo , it's a minor event.
Bongo

Miller Place, NY

#212288 Feb 13, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
We have now somehow managed to survive 1649 consecutive days here.
I watch the American news from time to time and count my blessings.
I became aware this week of another story in Florida where a man shot repeatedly into a car full of teens because he said he feared for his life, which is apparently a defense in Florida however insubstantial your reason.
<quoted text>
Is there nothing between rose colored and shit stained glasses? Is it only one or the other?
And yes, it is better to be able to see and appreciate the good in the world than to be convinced that it is all bad, doomed, corrupt, dangerous, and failed. I think it's a noxious worldview that serves those that benefit from fearful, angry, frustrated and divided people, which includes both the church and some cynical, selfish political factions.
1) There will be an expensive investigation and trial in florida and there is a 911 to call.. In Mexico you disappear in a barrel of acid. There will be no investigation or capture of killers and kidnappers. The good citizens are so frightened that no witness or person will say anything to help. 2) There is a balance and Christians do experience abundant life within these parameters..........Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, and in the Spirit of our God." (I CORINTHIANS 6:9-11).
Bongo

Miller Place, NY

#212289 Feb 13, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Anytime you post to Bongo , it's a minor event.
Don't sell yourself short, just because youre short.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#212290 Feb 13, 2014
Bongo wrote:
Sometimes you have to trim the herd, for good reason. Just like when those scientists killed that healthy giraffe the other day.
I saw the image of that beautiful creature dead on the ground and refused to watch that story.

And I'm sorry to read such a comment from you. Why did the human herd need trimming?

But I know why you post such things. I saw the first half hour of the recent Darwin special on HBO this morning, and saw an orca flinging a seal through the air while they were discussing things Darwin saw on his voyages.and how they made him question the idea of our world being the creation of a loving god.

Then we see Ken Ham saying that if Darwin had learned Christian theology properly, he would have understood that that was his god's reaction to the disobedience of a couple of undisciplined young people subjected to temptation.

Then they switch to somebody named Rose Rose (seriously) who can only say that her god is mysterious, and all of that suffering and misery must be some form of godly love that she cannot fathom.

These are the things that frustrate me about religion, and why I want our world to be rid of it.

Fennario

#212291 Feb 13, 2014
Bongo wrote:
If its some consolation, in contrast to other injustices in the world, that church paid out billions even to those who took thirty years to make a claim.
Are you praising the church in any sense for that?

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#212292 Feb 13, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Grow a pair will ya!!!
.. do you have a recipe ??..

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212293 Feb 13, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Not only that, they also make a profit from many of their "charities".
<quoted text>
A former pawnbroker, Booth was aware that poverty largely stemmed from the structure of society that he was in. However the social system that created conditions of poverty and inequality was not to be improved or replaced via social revolution. Instead Booth hoped to promote a “kinder, gentler” form of industrial capitalism, one with the “Christian values” of hard work, abstinence and charity. Booth characterised the revolutionary Christianity of the Diggers and Levellers as “utopian” and believed that Salvation Army members could earn a large profit from businesses and still keep a good conscience. In his view (and contrary to many others) the Bible was detached from social and economic change. For him the work of a good Christian was to piously tend to the poor rather than work with them in the hope of transforming a society based on poverty for some people and profit for others.
Regardless of their attitude towards social structures the primary aim of the Salvation Army was not to provide charity, but to win souls from the devil. Booth stated that what was important was not “whether a man died in the poorhouse but if his soul was saved”.(2) Dispensing the absolute basics of food and temporary housing to the needy was motivated by the need to recruit rather than by anything in the Bible. Any of the poor who were unfortunate enough to go against the Army’s morals were quick to discover themselves out on the street, hungry or not.(3)
<quoted text>
http://wrongkindofgreen.org/2013/03/18/the-st...
What a scam, just one of several.
Indeed.... the salvation army is one of the most hideous and bigoted organization in a whole choir of such things.

It *is* an excellent example of what following the bible teaches, however.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212294 Feb 13, 2014
<quoted text>
You haven't established that Christians outperform atheists. You merely assume and assert it. If you aren't spending your charitable contributions directly on the intended beneficiaries, as in buying them groceries or paying their utility bills, you're probably accomplishing next to nothing except lining some scam artists pocket.
What fraction of the money given to churches do you suppose makes its way past the clergy and the cost of running those franchises? Money spent building new churches or paying the pastor's mortgage payment isn't what I call charity
<quoted text>
Really? That sounds hollow. I get my reward serving people.
Not to mention, a new car every year or two-- when many of the parishioners drive 5 year old clunkers and worse.

It's disgusting.

And it is **not** charity in any shape of the word.

Location hidden

#212295 Feb 13, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
If you like that sort of thing, I could find time to knock you around a bit.
First, I owe Bongo an ass whoopin'.
Should I pencil you in, Aunt Betty?
Pencil? Are you allowed to have sharp objects again?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#212296 Feb 13, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't explain in there anywhere how dinosaurs reproduced with no DNA.
Teasing us?
Atheism is a REJECTION of Theistic claims. Nowfuckoffyoupatheticloser
Bongo

Miller Place, NY

#212297 Feb 13, 2014
<quoted text>
I saw the image of that beautiful creature dead on the ground and refused to watch that story.
And I'm sorry to read such a comment from you. Why did the human herd need trimming?
But I know why you post such things. I saw the first half hour of the recent Darwin special on HBO this morning, and saw an orca flinging a seal through the air while they were discussing things Darwin saw on his voyages.and how they made him question the idea of our world being the creation of a loving god.
Then we see Ken Ham saying that if Darwin had learned Christian theology properly, he would have understood that that was his god's reaction to the disobedience of a couple of undisciplined young people subjected to temptation.
Then they switch to somebody named Rose Rose (seriously) who can only say that her god is mysterious, and all of that suffering and misery must be some form of godly love that she cannot fathom.
These are the things that frustrate me about religion, and why I want our world to be rid of it.
My trim the herd comment was mosty for rhetorical effect but I know enough to believe that I could never fully understand a diety or how he operates. Its all too much for me. If God killed people im sure he had a good reason. We were told in scripture that the failure of the couple in the garden brought hardship to the animal kingdom too. Its temporary , in terms of eternity, a blip. The incident with the giraffe was trajic but those credentialed fellas did what they thought was best, surely not enjoying it.

Fennario

#212298 Feb 13, 2014
Bongo wrote:
Im offering no defense for the catholics but I am suprised at that prejudiced atheist indignation that majors on a few hundred kids violated by a few priests...
A few hundred kids by a few priests?
Bongo wrote:
... yet does not seem to consider millions starving to death and subject to poverty, and drug and alcohol abusing parents, to name just a few maladies. Religion with all its problems is a better way.
What makes you think that we aren't concerned about all suffering?

And I'd bet we could do a lot more for the world if Christians gave their tithes to the needy instead of to their churches. I see the churches not only as non-charities, but an impediment to charitable giving by diverting the gifts of others intended for the needy into its bank accounts. If all one does is give to his church, he does almost nothing of value to the world. We don't need any more churches or preachers.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212299 Feb 13, 2014
<quoted text>
A few hundred kids by a few priests?
<quoted text>
What makes you think that we aren't concerned about all suffering?
And I'd bet we could do a lot more for the world if Christians gave their tithes to the needy instead of to their churches. I see the churches not only as non-charities, but an impediment to charitable giving by diverting the gifts of others intended for the needy into its bank accounts. If all one does is give to his church, he does almost nothing of value to the world. We don't need any more churches or preachers.
It was **thousands** of kids, over many generations-- and it appears, the abuse is ongoing even today--

-- unchecked by this magical "god" they claim is so ...

.... "caring"

These abused kids?

Is 100% proof that there are **no** gods who have the power to affect human behavior.

None.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#212300 Feb 13, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Sometimes you have to trim the heard, for good reason. Just like when those scientists killed that healthy giraffe the other day.
So the God you worship is no better than some zoo officials? Hitler had the same idea, which means your God and Hitler share something in common. "Thinning the herd" is what both Stalin and Mao were accused of, so now we can put your God in with both of them. Lets form a list of people who committed Genocide with the idea of "thinning the herd"

Lets put God at the top of the list since he murder more than the others

1.) Your God

2.)Hitler

3.) Stalin

4.) Mao

we might as well throw Pol Pot into the mix

5.) Pol Pot

Hey, your Gods in very good company, aren't you proud he's at the top of the list?
Bongo

Miller Place, NY

#212301 Feb 13, 2014
<quoted text>
Are you praising the church in any sense for that?
Hell no. They had the money , thanks to the mindless giving. If it was some other denomination its more than likely there would have been no compensation, just bankruptcy.
Bongo

Miller Place, NY

#212302 Feb 13, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>So the God you worship is no better than some zoo officials? Hitler had the same idea, which means your God and Hitler share something in common. "Thinning the herd" is what both Stalin and Mao were accused of, so now we can put your God in with both of them. Lets form a list of people who committed Genocide with the idea of "thinning the herd"
Lets put God at the top of the list since he murder more than the others
1.) Your God
2.)Hitler
3.) Stalin
4.) Mao
we might as well throw Pol Pot into the mix
5.) Pol Pot
Hey, your Gods in very good company, aren't you proud he's at the top of the list?
Those zoo officials were credentialed academics. God got rid of some clay pots he didn't approve of. I think you better check with Buck on your stats.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#212303 Feb 13, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Sometimes you have to trim the heard, for good reason. Just like when those scientists killed that healthy giraffe the other day.
Yeah, your god thought it best to "trim the herd" which included fetuses, little babies, and innocent children. As sick as it was, even the zoo officials had a reason for their actions, I can only wonder what your Gods reasons were. Given his history of murdering little babies, I think he simply enjoys it!!!

Location hidden

#212304 Feb 13, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Lagoonish platitudes. Where do your thoughts come from? What about your being and abilities?
Speaking of abilities: It appears that Alanis Morissette has won gold in the women's downhill race in Sochi.

http://binaryapi.ap.org/1c8faaa4956d48bfb0f6b...
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#212305 Feb 13, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Lagoonish platitudes. Where do your thoughts come from? What about your being and abilities?
<My thoughts come from my mind, and yours? My being is a result of a romantic summer evening shared by both mother and father, my abilities from unceasing hard work and study, coupled with a drive for excellence!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 26 min Samuel Patre 94,391
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 42 min Prince of Darkness 6,001
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing (Oct '17) 1 hr Eagle 12 - 147
News Geoff Robson is wrong about Richard Dawkins, th... 1 hr Eagle 12 - 12
News Christ, Atheism, Quantum Physics, and the Natur... Thu nanoanomaly 1
News Egyptian Parliament considers outlawing atheism May 21 Guest 6
Stephen Hawking, now a believer May 8 superwilly 20