Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#211954 Feb 11, 2014
At a Catholic hospital in Ardmore, OK a receptionist expressed this opinion...

“How can she say atheist in front of these kids?! You shouldn’t be allowed to reproduce if that’s how you feel. That’s just my opinion.“

For more see...

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/...

...and the follow-up...

blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#211955 Feb 11, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I wasn't the one that brought up 'popularity'.
These are not people who believe the world is flat or 6000 years old. The find no conflict between what they understand about the Bible and what science knows.
On the other hand, atheists just caught up with the very first verse of the Bible, finally embracing the Big Bang theory.
ONE Church does more than all the atheists of that community. There is no equating.
Yes, you were the one who brought up popularity, here:

"Sunday I attended a Church with 4,000 people who disagree with all of your group. Later I attended a meeting of over 100 professional people, including professors from a large liberal college."

That you would try and connect the Big Bang Theory to "Let there be light" in Genesis, I find not only humorous but unbelievably pathetic. The writings found in an immoral ancient book that fails on all issues of science, compared to real scientific findings that support the Big Bang Theory is laughable. I'm not even sure if you're serious!!!!

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#211956 Feb 11, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Actually, that wasn't the issue. But if you want to include others, religious belief systems SIGNIFICANTLY outnumber atheistic belief systems.
Apart from there being no atheist belief system, your argument simply underscores how readily and frequently mankind makes up religions and believes them even though at most, only one of them could be correct, and how these mythologies can become major systems of belief subsuming the lives of millions of people for centuries despite there being zero basis in fact for them.

Since we know with certainty that this happens commonly, and that at least all but one are baseless fables, the question becomes why should we believe that even one of them is right, and if we did, on what basis could we pick one from the others? None better than accident of birth coupled with the will to believe without reason.

Notice that there is only one atheism.

"Can you explain why there are several hundred thousand gods accepted by different religious people, but only one periodic table accepted by different scientists?" - anon

Yes. It's the same reason that there are so many creation myths and only one scientific explanation for the development of the universe from a singularity and for the common descent of the tree of life from a single primordial cell.

Incidentally, if you ever get a hankering to look at some other creation myths besides the one thrown into your playpen, you can check here:

http://www.gly.uga.edu/railsback/CS/CSIndex.h...
http://www.magictails.com/creationlinks.html

Regarding your claim that your myth anticipated the Big Bang despite it getting absolutely nothing else right apart from the single concept that our universe had a beginning, please note that each of these also gets just that one fact and none other right.

Did you still want to claim that either your religion, your virgin birth myth, or your creation myth are somehow special or prophetic?

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#211957 Feb 11, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. hi ya KiMare ..
.. why are you posting scripture on an Atheist thread ??..
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
I was wondering about that myself. They seem to have this amusing idea that we will give a s#!t.
.. proselytism doesn't work yet some believers feel compelled to spread the 'Good News'..

.. why ??..

#211958 Feb 11, 2014
The Telegraph recently interviewed Virginians in a small town, particularly noting the opinions of non-believers. They report...

"In two days of interviews at least half of the avowed non-believers declined to be named in the Telegraph, citing fears they would be ostracised by friends, family, churches and even their employers."

I feel this is one reason why numbers of non-believers in America may be under-reported. Many may be staying in the atheist closet because of fear of retribution by believers.
Who Knew

Santa Ana, CA

#211959 Feb 11, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
Seven people half of whom were related to each other repopulated the world without using insect
Ya

Fennario

#211960 Feb 11, 2014
Bongo wrote:
Pascals wager is invalid.
Agreed. It is easily refuted.
Bongo wrote:
There is no life insurance for a skeptic.
There is none for a theist, either. If there is an afterlife, it will be there for all of us. Nobody will be rewarded for believing a mythology. Why would they be?

#211961 Feb 11, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. hi ya KiMare ..
.. why are you posting scripture on an Atheist thread ??..
<quoted text>
.. proselytism doesn't work yet some believers feel compelled to spread the 'Good News'..
.. why ??..
<Jesus knocks on door>

Man inside: "What do you want?"

Jesus: "I want to save you."

Man inside: "From what?"

Jesus: "From what I am going to do to you if you don't open this door."

#211962 Feb 11, 2014
Who Knew wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya
The best that could have been done, concerning incest, in the Noah story is for 1st cousins to marry. Otherwise you would have things like brother-sister, uncle-niece, or worse.

Fennario

#211963 Feb 11, 2014
Bongo wrote:
Kimare may be unsavory
Agreed. I hope you won't take it personally if I deal with him differently that I do the other theists posting.

Fennario

#211964 Feb 11, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
At a Catholic hospital in Ardmore, OK a receptionist expressed this opinion...
“How can she say atheist in front of these kids?! You shouldn’t be allowed to reproduce if that’s how you feel. That’s just my opinion.“
For more see...
...and the follow-up...
Obviously, all atheophobic bigotry comes from religion. In the West, that means Christianity. Who else is putting ideas like that in people's minds?

I have often read here and elsewhere that we unbelievers should just live and let live, meaning, stop denigrating the church. Does any theist posting think that we unbelievers don't have a right to push back and attempt to mitigate the damage the church does to us? Do you think that we should just accept it?

An effective rebuttal begins with pointing out the lie in the claim that Christianity is about love and the Golden Rule. Institutions and ideologies that actually embrace such lofty ideas don't teach people to think about atheists the way that the church and the Christian bible do.

#211965 Feb 11, 2014
HBO is airing a show titled, "Questioning Darwin"

Mark Joseph of Slate has written a review titled,“The Cruelty of Creationism.”

He says in one place...

"Creationism, the documentary reveals, isn’t a harmless,compartmentalized fantasy. It’s a suffocating, oppressive worldview through which believers must interpret reality—and its primary target is children. For creationists, intellectual inquiry is a sin, and anyone who dares to doubt the wisdom of their doctrine invites eternal damnation. That’s the perverse brilliance of creationism, the key to its self-perpetuation: First it locks kids in the dungeon of ignorance and dogmatic fundamentalism. Then it throws away the key."
Bongo

Medford, NY

#211966 Feb 11, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
'Bongo' the short way to spell 'brain washed'.
How do you know you have the right god, there are 40+ versions of the bibull, 32000+ different gods, 38000+ versions of christianity and 4 billion Hindi gods with all faiths saying the same thing "this is the one true god".
Well, Christians do get their mind cleaned up. I know because of receiving a gift. I don't struggle and be confounded by the myriad gods out there because there is only one who is alive, with a valid means of atonement. There is also the history of the Jews , scripture and the Holy Spirit. You need to understand the difference between heart and mind. You have analysis paralysis. And whats so bad about Christianity? Ideally, any "disciplined" one would be no offence except to evil. The ideal is a bit quixotic but we are a work in progress. The burden is easy and the load is light and there is liberty in Christ. Man complicates a simple remedy. Human nature is a problem when unbridled however the elect resurrect not, to condemnation.

Fennario

#211967 Feb 11, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
The Telegraph recently interviewed Virginians in a small town, particularly noting the opinions of non-believers. They report... "In two days of interviews at least half of the avowed non-believers declined to be named in the Telegraph, citing fears they would be ostracised by friends, family, churches and even their employers."

I feel this is one reason why numbers of non-believers in America may be under-reported. Many may be staying in the atheist closet because of fear of retribution by believers.
Religion is the ONLY reason atheists are subject to bigotry and hatred, both in the job market and in their own families. Who thinks that we should just roll over for it, or that if we don't, it is evidence of hatred and bigotry from unbelievers?

Denying that we are immoral, demon infested souls in rebellion isn't enough. The only effective response I know of is to shine a light on the church.

Fennario

#211968 Feb 11, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<Jesus knocks on door>
Man inside: "What do you want?"
Jesus: "I want to save you."
Man inside: "From what?"
Jesus: "From what I am going to do to you if you don't open this door."
What greater love is there than that?
Bongo

Medford, NY

#211969 Feb 11, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. I hope you won't take it personally if I deal with him differently that I do the other theists posting.
I wont. I do think you cast aspersions on the Church that color it a little unfairly. Presently there are problems, mostly due to human nature. God has set criteria for his people , that's not likely to change.
Bongo

Medford, NY

#211970 Feb 11, 2014
<quoted text>
Religion is the ONLY reason atheists are subject to bigotry and hatred, both in the job market and in their own families. Who thinks that we should just roll over for it, or that if we don't, it is evidence of hatred and bigotry from unbelievers?
Denying that we are immoral, demon infested souls in rebellion isn't enough. The only effective response I know of is to shine a light on the church.
This is good. Your actions should help Christians behave better. Its similar to the cure for racism. Individuals should be ridiculed for unacceptable behavior, not the whole group. Its an amazing thing when atheists use scripture to deal with Christians. Shine that light, after all, Judgement begins in the house of God.
Bongo

Medford, NY

#211971 Feb 11, 2014
<quoted text>
What greater love is there than that?
I think people struggle to understand what Holiness is. Knowing how insignificant we are is a good start.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#211972 Feb 11, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>yes, yes, i'm quite sure you think you witnessed a miracle, however all indications are that there are no such things as miracles. There has NEVER EVER been a confirmed miracle, otherwise any true miracle would have been front page news world-wide, it would be al over the media. Just think about it, finally the evidence that your God actually exists, every Atheist on the face of the planet would have to eat crow, Religion and the existence of God would be put in a very bright and fulfilling light of truth.
A message from God emblazoned across the face of the moon, leaving indisputable evidence for his existence........A real miracle.
In an instant, every case of childhood cancer on the planet disappears.......A real miracle.
The sudden realization by every person on the planet that we are along in the cosmos, and love and compassion are things to be nurtured and cherished..........The most beautiful of all miracles.
But this is what we get instead:
The face of Jesus on a peanut-butter sandwich.
Someone finding a lost wedding ring after praying for it.
An unexplained illness disappearing (Called self-healing, plenty of documented cases)
Jesus is said to have cured a blind man, how about the poor blind sap just down the road, why not just cure blindness?
With NO documented reliable account of a miracle occurring, all reason and logic point to miracles amounting to nothing more that a delusion, or an event were alternate explanation become possible.
My good Doctor you humor me.

The miracles that I have seen have nothing to do with lost wedding rings and peanut butter.

Nor do they have anything to do with images of the Virgin Mary.

Those that have personally witnessed were astonishing and breath taking.

I haven’t seen them every month or even every year but I have seen them. Those miracles were so incredible, I can’t share them with you because of your unbelief.

When you have someone who has had a personal experience. That experience is not diminished because someone doesn’t believe them.

Such as the experience that happened to Saul on the way to Damascus. He was a law enforcement officer, gang leader, murder, leader of a lynch mob, terrorist and it all came to an end with a experience with God.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#211974 Feb 11, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Pascals wager is invalid. There is no life insurance for a skeptic. By contrast, treasonous atheists have once accepted Christ and the COST, your life. They then reneged and broke covenant . There is a lot of speciousness in your post. Its good to gather with friends and family and give to the ministry, trusting them. Kimare may be unsavory but Jesus is still Lord. A live dog is better than a dead lion.
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> A live dog is better than a dead lion.
Not if you're really hungry.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
God' existence 8 min Carchar king 78
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr Eagle 12 2,599
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 4 hr thetruth 202
Atheism: On the Rise? (Jan '13) 4 hr chris toal 39
Evidence for God! 6 hr thetruth 368
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 6 hr thetruth 8
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 6 hr thetruth 162
More from around the web