Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Bongo

Miller Place, NY

#212102 Feb 12, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
Hence the difference we see today between Islam and Christianity.
What ignorant, bigoted hate.
Blob being a treasonous ex Christian should understand the concept of Christians dying to self versus Islamists , being under the law, have to kill the body.
Bongo

Miller Place, NY

#212103 Feb 12, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Buck whats up?
Here to beat that dead horse to death again?
Horse you aint dead... get up so's I kin knock the gawl durn fire out cha! lol
Peabody laughed like a .....
Youre an idiot of the same caliber as darwins sploogechild. So, atheists are likened to a dead horse? I have never seen you win an argument with Buck. In fact you and DS are always embarrASSingly repudiated.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#212104 Feb 12, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong, and wrong.
Atheism has nothing to do with "religious claims". It concerns deities.
Atheism is a belief that no deity exists. It is a belief, same as theism is a belief.
You should have learned about its belief system before you signed on.
Atheism, from the Greek a-theos ("no-god"), is the philosophical position that God doesn't exist. It is distinguished from agnosticism, the argument that it is impossible to know whether God exists or not (Academic American Encyclopedia).
Atheism is the doctrine that there is no God.(Oxford Companion to Philosophy).
Atheism (Greek, a-[private prefix]+ theos, god) is the view that there is no divine being, no God (Dictionary of Philosophy, Thomas Mautner, Editor-1996).
Atheism is the belief that God doesn't exist (The World Book Encyclopedia-1991).
Atheism, the critique and denial of metaphysical beliefs in God or spiritual beings. Atheism is to be distinguished from agnosticism, which leaves open whether there is a god or not, professing to find the question unanswerable, for the atheist, the non-existence of god is a certainty (The New Encyclopedia Britannia-1993).
According to the most usual definition, an atheist is a person who maintains that there is no god…(rejects eccentric definitions of the word)(The Encyclopedia of Philosophy-1967).
Atheism is the doctrine that God does not exist, that belief in the existence of God is a false belief. The word God here refers to a divine being regarded as the independent creator of the world, a being superlatively powerful, wise and good (Encyclopedia of Religion-1987).
Atheism (Greek and Roman): Atheism is a dogmatic creed, consisting in the denial of every kind of supernatural power. Atheism has not often been seriously maintained at any period of civilized thought (Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics-Vol II).
Atheism denies the existence of deity (Funk and Wagnall's New Encyclopedia-Vol I).
You omitted the key qualifier.

"Absent evidence."

As in "Absent evidence, I see no reason to believe in any deity.
Therefore I do not."

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#212105 Feb 12, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Barton is still batting 1000 against your lame charges.
Have you come up with anything else?
Please do. I'd love to slap you down again.
BTW...an exact quote of Buck (using Buck's rule for exact quotes)...

"Barton is lame."

#212106 Feb 12, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>You omitted the key qualifier.
"Absent evidence."
Therefore I do not."
But you see, under Buck's rules that is still an exact quote. According to Buck, it doesn't matter what you leave out as long as what remains was said in that order.

For example...

If Buck were to say, "Buck is always right. You are an idiot.", then an exact quote of Buck would be...

"Buck is an idiot."

#212107 Feb 12, 2014
I have invented a new lie detector. It is based on Buck. We have Buck listen to what a man says. If Buck thinks the man is telling the truth, we know the man is lying.

This has worked amazingly well with Barton, the Discovery Institute and Fox News.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#212108 Feb 12, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Youre an idiot of the same caliber as darwins sploogechild. So, atheists are likened to a dead horse? I have never seen you win an argument with Buck. In fact you and DS are always embarrASSingly repudiated.
You need new glasses.

Buck has one major problem with his arguments, he gets his “facts”(and I use the term very loosely) from the discovery institute.

But at least he can provide interesting laughs rather than the palm face laughs you engender.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#212109 Feb 12, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> So then, you can trust a guy with a name like Crocktornton? You don't believe the credentialed neurologist who had the NDE either. You automatically believed his detractors , probably because of your intrinsic bias .
Yes, his intrinsic bias. Along with his intrinsic dumbass.

The main critique against Alexander was whether two women who came to visit him in the hospital were truthful about seeing a rainbow.

The critique against Barton was to question whether a Catholic mission tries to advance the gospel. Heady stuff.

Crockthumpington mounted a great case, which had nothing to do with his mounting a crusade for gay rights. Of course. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#212110 Feb 12, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
I have invented a new lie detector. It is based on Buck. We have Buck listen to what a man says. If Buck thinks the man is telling the truth, we know the man is lying.
This has worked amazingly well with Barton, the Discovery Institute and Fox News.
Isn't it funny how, when we examine the actual evidence, getting past your inuendo, I always turn out to be correct?

Your guys said we could keep our health care plan.

Fox News said no, we cannot.

Who told the truth on that one, Crockthumpington?

Your guys said ACA would create jobs.

Fox News said, no, it will not.

CBO just said it will cost 2 million jobs over 10 years.

Your guys said the Benghazi attack was a protest over a youtube video.

Fox News, said no, it was not.

Turns out, Secretary of Defense, Leon Panetta, told B. Hussein Obama and Mrs. Slick Willie it was a terrorist attack on the night it happened. You know, before they went to the memorial service and told the dead servicemen's parents it was caused by the youtube video? You know, when admitting it was terrorists two months before a presidential election could be problematic?

Your guys said the IRS did no political targetting of groups for special scrutiny of 501 -C3. President Obamajab said it as recent as Super Bowl Sunday.

Fox News said yes, they did.

All after the IRS admitted and apologized for it.

And you think I have the problem discerning truth?

Bwahaaha. Crockthumpington.

Bongo

Miller Place, NY

#212111 Feb 12, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
You need new glasses.
Buck has one major problem with his arguments, he gets his “facts”(and I use the term very loosely) from the discovery institute.
But at least he can provide interesting laughs rather than the palm face laughs you engender.
Well Darling, Truth is, Buck has categorically repudiated much of your supposition too. btw, Im about to have a sandwich with some crispy swine

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#212112 Feb 12, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Buck whats up?
Here to beat that dead horse to death again?
Horse you aint dead... get up so's I kin knock the gawl durn fire out cha! lol
Peabody laughed like a .....
If they keep reviving it, I guess I'll keep beating it.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#212113 Feb 12, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Please, Buck, keep it up. The more you rant, the more people become convince of how disingenuous Barton is...and of how you are.
Though I will admit you have Bongo convinced. But I wouldn't count that as a plus. LOL.
For all your bluster, you have not come up with one detail on which Barton was untruthful.

Not one.

On the bluster portion, you are hitting on all cylinders.

Congratulations to you, and also to Crockthumpington.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#212114 Feb 12, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Well Darling, Truth is, Buck has categorically repudiated much of your supposition too. btw, Im about to have a sandwich with some crispy swine
It isn't hard to repudiate Christinemc^2 when she is willing to claim the Pope and the entire Catholic Church is atheist.

Fish in a barrel. Like BlueBaboon's claim that dinosaurs had no DNA and Family Guy is a show on Fox News.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#212115 Feb 12, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>You omitted the key qualifier.
"Absent evidence."
Therefore I do not."
I don't care.

Knock yourself out with your not believing.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#212116 Feb 12, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You forget the story of Sarah, a ninety year old woman becomes pregnant. Even she laughed at the thought of getting pregnant. Yet the Lord fulfilled his promise he made to Abraham and Sara conceived and gave birth at 90 years old.
Isaac was born and his name meant “laughter.” Because God always has the last laugh when it comes to doubt.
Now before you say Abraham and Sarah never existed. You might want to go to Hebron and visit their graves. God can do the impossible.
so ... pray for intellect

dare ya

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#212117 Feb 12, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Youre an idiot of the same caliber as darwins sploogechild. So, atheists are likened to a dead horse? I have never seen you win an argument with Buck. In fact you and DS are always embarrASSingly repudiated.
You don't win arguments with a baboon, or his little organ grinder monkey.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#212118 Feb 12, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
You see, I get different answers from all of you.
I've got the same argument from an agnostic.
Then what would you label someone that claims there is no God?
I have never met such a person

have you?

what label did you employ?

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#212119 Feb 12, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
But you see, under Buck's rules that is still an exact quote. According to Buck, it doesn't matter what you leave out as long as what remains was said in that order.
For example...
If Buck were to say, "Buck is always right. You are an idiot.", then an exact quote of Buck would be...
"Buck is an idiot."
Wrong again, Crockthumper.

That is an inaccurate and fraudulent quote. Your quotation shows no indication of the deleted words and presents it as an intact passage.

If you wrote it as "Buck is...an idiot", it would be an exact quote, but it would still be fraudulent in that the idea presented is the opposite of the original idea.

If quoted exactly, an incomplete quotation's integrity depends on the implication it is used for.

I don't expect you to understand this.

By your reasoning, a biblical quote could not be accurate unless the entire Bible were quoted with any passage cited. Can you imagine citing a passage from War and Peace?

You are a dumbass.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#212120 Feb 12, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Well Darling, Truth is, Buck has categorically repudiated much of your supposition too. btw, Im about to have a sandwich with some crispy swine
Wrong, he has stamped his foot and feigned incredulity, that is not refuting anything that is just childish tantrums

Watch your cholesterol

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#212121 Feb 12, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
You need new glasses.
You lie about facts.

You made a mistake by referring to what the Catholic church accepted, evolution wise, as "Darwinism".

That is factually false and intentionally misleading.

Rather than admit the mistake, you just doubled-down and lied repeatedly.

This is a consistent pattern with you. You employed it with your blunder on E=mc^2 disproving God.

I figured you out long ago.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr Endofdays 81,921
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 7 hr Science 2,206
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Sat Science 33,086
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Oct 18 Eagle 12 - 3,978
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) Oct 11 old_moose 233
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) Oct 10 blacklagoon 3 94
Deconversion (Feb '17) Oct 10 Eagle 12 - 145
More from around the web