Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 257159 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#212049 Feb 11, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, that wasn't the issue. But if you want to include others, religious belief systems SIGNIFICANTLY outnumber atheistic belief systems.
As to the rest of your post? Scoffing is not a reasoned response.
Atheists do NOT have a belief system. You have no idea what the word actually means. Better to keep your mouth shut than to expose yourself as ignorant.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#212050 Feb 11, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>How many people do you honestly think actually take the time to read this LONG religious dribble? After the first two sentences it becomes nothing more than "white noise."

Find a milk crate and go stand on it at the nearest busy intersection, start preaching this dribble. Good luck with your new career in preaching the delusions of your barbaric religion!!!
I'll second that notion.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#212052 Feb 11, 2014
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the fact is that non-christians significantly outnumber you christians.
The rest of your post was delusional bullshit.
<quoted text>
That *was* the issue; you said do. You said there were more christians than anyone else. You were wrong. Or you lied. Which is it?
<quoted text>
I'm not contesting that; I'm contesting your false claim, and you aren't addressing that.
<quoted text>
It wasn't scoffing, it was fact; the rest of your post was delusional bullshit.
<quoted text>
And to you fundie christians, anyone who doesn't follow *your* specific agenda is an atheist. That includes Buddhists, Jews, less-intolerant Catholics, Mormons, etc.
And I said non-christians outnumber you christians. That includes Muslims, Taoists, Shinto, Buddhists, Jews, Shamans, etc.
Hissy fit?

Location hidden

#212054 Feb 11, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly why does quoting scriptures to an Atheist seem like an intelligent idea to you?
It was a response to a post. An intelligent person would have seen that.

Location hidden

#212055 Feb 11, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>How many people do you honestly think actually take the time to read this LONG religious dribble? After the first two sentences it becomes nothing more than "white noise."
Find a milk crate and go stand on it at the nearest busy intersection, start preaching this dribble. Good luck with your new career in preaching the delusions of your barbaric religion!!!
I posted it for intelligent adults.

Location hidden

#212056 Feb 11, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Atheists do NOT have a belief system. You have no idea what the word actually means. Better to keep your mouth shut than to expose yourself as ignorant.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belief_system

Like I said, I post for intelligent people.

You have no idea what the word actually means. Better to keep your mouth shut than to expose yourself as ignorant.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#212057 Feb 11, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You forget the story of Sarah, a ninety year old woman becomes pregnant. Even she laughed at the thought of getting pregnant. Yet the Lord fulfilled his promise he made to Abraham and Sara conceived and gave birth at 90 years old.
Isaac was born and his name meant “laughter.” Because God always has the last laugh when it comes to doubt.
Now before you say Abraham and Sarah never existed. You might want to go to Hebron and visit their graves. God can do the impossible.
Yes I HAVE forgotten that "story" simply because it is just that, a story, with no evidence that any of it is true. The stories in your holy book carry as much weight as the stories from Greek mythology's.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#212058 Feb 11, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
So all atheists agree?
The first Brief History of Time is the Bible. It not only got the Big Bang first, it also noted that life was created out of the earth and began as a simple genderless life form. And the the human race began in one location. That is just in two very short chapters. I like to add Proverbs 8 to the creation account also.
I listed several prophesies. Your only response has been childish silly scoffing.
There is no scientific explanation of the history of time contained in the bible!!!

There is no scientific explanation or otherwise of life being created "Out of the Earth" and was a genderless simple life form

The human race did NOT begin in one location, DNA evidence shows this to be patently false.

All three of these claims are NOT supported by science, further, the accounts of creation contained in Genesis are in complete contradiction to what science shows us to be factual. You lose o so many levels you should be totally embarrassed!!!

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#212059 Feb 11, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists do NOT have a belief system. You have no idea what the word actually means. Better to keep your mouth shut than to expose yourself as ignorant.
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
You really believe that?
Yup. blacklagoon was right.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#212060 Feb 11, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Yes I HAVE forgotten that "story" simply because it is just that, a story, with no evidence that any of it is true. The stories in your holy book carry as much weight as the stories from Greek mythology's.
And the stories from Greek mythology are better stories.

Since: Sep 10

Germany

#212061 Feb 11, 2014
Testing

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#212062 Feb 11, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, another 'reasoned' atheistic response...
Smirk.
Yes, thank you.

The bible; Myth.

Noun: myth
1. A traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, especially one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature.
2. A traditional story accepted as history; serves to explain the world view of a people.
WordWeb Pro 7.02

Now you know. No need to thank me.
Richardfs

Merrylands, Australia

#212063 Feb 11, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
And the stories from Greek mythology are better stories.
I really like the ones about the son of god, Hercules. I would like to see some one try and nail him to a tree.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#212064 Feb 11, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think anyone thinks your attention span is better than a gold fish!
When it comes to religious scriptures, and the ramblings of delusional theists and their ridiculous unsupported claims, you're right my attention span may be much less than a golf fish. I believe even a gold fish would shun such bullshit.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#212065 Feb 11, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven’t spent a lot of time in courtrooms but I was on a Jury on two occasions. One was a civil case and the other was a criminal case.
And testimony from witnesses is considered evidence. We both know that personal testimony can be fabricated but it can also be factual.
This is why we have Juries.
Why I don’t have garlic on every door of my house?
I happen to like a little garlic and there may have been times trace elements were on every door of the house. I don’t believe in human vampires except the one’s at the local blood bank.
I’ve given 7 gallons of blood over my lifetime. That’s not as much as some but there are millions that have never even given one unit of blood.
Now on the issue of miracles. Doctor, I don’t need no observable, reliable, verifiable evidence because I don’t need convincing, I saw them with other people.
It’s kind of like Jose Salvador Alvarenga's epic survival story. You are a seaman Doctor, you understand what can go wrong at sea. Yet there are people doubting Alvarenga’s story. He doesn’t have to prove anything to anyone. He lived the experience.
And exactly why don't you believe in human vampires?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#212067 Feb 11, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
You really believe that?
As an Atheist I understand what being one means. Atheism is a REJECTION of Theistic claims. That's it!!!! Which is much different from saying no God exists. This REJECTION is based on the lack of evidence, good evidence, scientific evidence. Most Theist believe that god as an effect on the natural world, answering prayers, appearing to individuals, performing miracles, talking to individuals, all are considered interaction with the natural world. If, in fact, God does have an effect on the natural world, it can be tested by science. No such tests have ever been done, why is that?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#212068 Feb 11, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I posted it for intelligent adults.
No you posted it for others who share in your delusions. You posted it for people who have forgotten what reason and logic mean. You posted it for people who lack the essential trait all truly intelligent people have, skepticism. So in the end, the people you posted this for are not very intelligent, but like yourself, highly gullible.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#212069 Feb 11, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
What's a golf fish?
Kind of like a gold fish, but instead of pectoral fins they have 9 irons. New species, just discovered, and like the Gold Fish, have a very short attention span when confronted with scriptures and other religious bullshit.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#212070 Feb 11, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>And exactly why don't you believe in human vampires?
I do, they're at the blood bank. Where else would a human vampire work?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212073 Feb 11, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
The Telegraph recently interviewed Virginians in a small town, particularly noting the opinions of non-believers. They report...
"In two days of interviews at least half of the avowed non-believers declined to be named in the Telegraph, citing fears they would be ostracised by friends, family, churches and even their employers."
I feel this is one reason why numbers of non-believers in America may be under-reported. Many may be staying in the atheist closet because of fear of retribution by believers.
Of course! History teaches that True Believers™**will** do their damndest to murder non-believers any way they can get away with.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 4 hr ATHEOI 397
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 5 hr Eagle 12 10,374
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 6 hr FedUp 21,422
What is of greater value for humanity: Chrisita... 7 hr par five 451
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 7 hr River Tam 20,327
News A Strong Muslim Identity Is the Best Defense Ag... 9 hr Romantic Romeo 17
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) 11 hr ChristineM 557
More from around the web