Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256546 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#211920 Feb 10, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Thats not at al what virgin means where did you get such a stupid idea? Virgin means a women who has NOT had sexual intercourse.
Doctor,

Jethro Bodine has an Edumacation.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#211921 Feb 10, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I don't see were I called you any names, I simply suggested finding a more reliable source of information rather than the bible.
Doctor,

The poor guy is from Dumbsh*tsville Australia. You know it’s down the coast from Dumbf*cksville.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#211922 Feb 10, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I don't see were I called you any names, I simply suggested finding a more reliable source of information rather than the bible.
Doc, it’s an imaginary thing with him. He once accused me of threatening to kill him. Hell I don’t even know anyone in Dumbsh*tsville Australia.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#211923 Feb 10, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are saying there were no unmarried pregnant women prior to 0BC.
In that case we have the bibull to blame for all single moms in the world
BTW Virgin meant unmarried girl.
Go to the library and check out a gynecology book and don’t just look at the pictures.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#211924 Feb 10, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Magic is based on trickery and or the occult.
I don’t believe in magic but I do believe in miracles since I have actually witnessed miracles.
yes, yes, i'm quite sure you think you witnessed a miracle, however all indications are that there are no such things as miracles. There has NEVER EVER been a confirmed miracle, otherwise any true miracle would have been front page news world-wide, it would be al over the media. Just think about it, finally the evidence that your God actually exists, every Atheist on the face of the planet would have to eat crow, Religion and the existence of God would be put in a very bright and fulfilling light of truth.

A message from God emblazoned across the face of the moon, leaving indisputable evidence for his existence........A real miracle.

In an instant, every case of childhood cancer on the planet disappears.......A real miracle.

The sudden realization by every person on the planet that we are along in the cosmos, and love and compassion are things to be nurtured and cherished..........The most beautiful of all miracles.

But this is what we get instead:

The face of Jesus on a peanut-butter sandwich.

Someone finding a lost wedding ring after praying for it.

An unexplained illness disappearing (Called self-healing, plenty of documented cases)

Jesus is said to have cured a blind man, how about the poor blind sap just down the road, why not just cure blindness?

With NO documented reliable account of a miracle occurring, all reason and logic point to miracles amounting to nothing more that a delusion, or an event were alternate explanation become possible.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#211925 Feb 10, 2014
Cvvl wrote:
<quoted text>
Except the unknown author of "Matthew" attributes the prophesy to Jeremiah.
You'd think that if you were going to spin a yarn about prophesies being fulfilled, you'd get the prophet right.
Your assumptions are wrong. Read Mathew 27:9 more carefully. Notice the word “spoken.”

“Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the prophet”

Since this prophecy was a spoken prophecy carried down through the years verbally. How can you prove it wasn’t verbalized by Jeremiah?

If you are going to claim a yarn was spun. You should at least have spun yarn for proof.
Richardfs

Merrylands, Australia

#211927 Feb 10, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Thats not at al what virgin means where did you get such a stupid idea? Virgin means a women who has NOT had sexual intercourse.
Implies that I am stupid.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#211928 Feb 10, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don’t believe in magic but I do believe in miracles since I have actually witnessed miracles.
So in the case of the Virgin Mary, all of the laws of nature were suspended? Don't you find it a bit curious that she never mentioned the experience to anyone?

You have a story told in an ancient book about an event that medical science says is basically impossible, there is no explanation other than the term immaculate conception, a purely religious term, meaning virtually nothing. And this you believe, simply because of a story in your holy book, no evidence, just a story. Yet you refuse to believe in something for which there are mountains of scientific data, physical evidence, a process that can be witnessed, and for which the most reliable of all sources, DNA point to the irrefutable facts of evolution. Sigh..........such is the poison that religion brings to mankind!!!
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#211929 Feb 10, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Except, of course, that the virgin birth never happened...
..........according to little ole you.

In your small world between the back of your head and the front of your eyes.

It's a world of laughter
A world of tears
It's a world of hopes
And a world of fears
There's so much that we share
That it's time we're aware
It's a small world after all
It's a small, small world
There is just one moon
And one golden sun
And a smile means
Friendship to every one
Though the mountains divide
And the oceans are wide
Richardfs

Merrylands, Australia

#211930 Feb 10, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Doc, it’s an imaginary thing with him. He once accused me of threatening to kill him. Hell I don’t even know anyone in Dumbsh*tsville Australia.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Go to the library and check out a gynecology book and don’t just look at the pictures.
Yet more my prophecy has come to pass.
Richardfs

Merrylands, Australia

#211931 Feb 10, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>So in the case of the Virgin Mary, all of the laws of nature were suspended? Don't you find it a bit curious that she never mentioned the experience to anyone?
You have a story told in an ancient book about an event that medical science says is basically impossible, there is no explanation other than the term immaculate conception, a purely religious term, meaning virtually nothing. And this you believe, simply because of a story in your holy book, no evidence, just a story. Yet you refuse to believe in something for which there are mountains of scientific data, physical evidence, a process that can be witnessed, and for which the most reliable of all sources, DNA point to the irrefutable facts of evolution. Sigh..........such is the poison that religion brings to mankind!!!
You must member this the person who thinks:-

1. Noah's flood was real.
2. Seven people half of whom were related to each other repopulated the world without using insect because in those days there was no law against incest.
3. The best part of 1 million people wandered though a desert for 40 years and carried all their rubbish (including their dead).

Thinking is not one of his fortes.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#211932 Feb 10, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
..........according to little ole you.
In your small world between the back of your head and the front of your eyes.
It's a world of laughter
A world of tears
It's a world of hopes
And a world of fears
There's so much that we share
That it's time we're aware
There is just one moon
And one golden sun
And a smile means
Friendship to every one
Though the mountains divide
And the oceans are wide
Correct, it's a small world for people who believe without evidence, and shun reliable demonstrable evidence. It's a SMALL world filled with mythical beings and magical places, were the laws of nature mean nothing, it's a very small world compared to the world that actually exists, were everything is real and can be explained, were there are limitless possibilities thanks to science. Yes you are correct, you live in a very small shallow world.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#211933 Feb 10, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
2. Seven people half of whom were related to each other repopulated the world without using insect because in those days there was no law against incest.
3. The best part of 1 million people wandered though a desert for 40 years and carried all their rubbish (including their dead).
Nor is reason, logic and the most vital trait of all, skepticism.

He believes all of this without question, yet rejects scientific evidence that confirms the facts of evolution. A poisoned mind for certain.

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#211934 Feb 10, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Then again his family may have reproduced with insects.:)

“You Can't Throw MeTo TheWolves”

Since: May 10

THEY COME WHEN I CALL

#211935 Feb 10, 2014
KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
You falsely deny that the Bible contains numerous profound things,
A nobody in a subjected country, rejected by his own people, predicted the birth of Christianity. You pretend that is of no account, DESPITE THE FACT THAT CHRISTIANS SIGNIFICANTLY OUTNUMBER ATHEISTS!
Actually, the fact is that non-christians significantly outnumber you christians.

The rest of your post was delusional bullshit.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#211936 Feb 10, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>So we are basing present day definitions on ancient Greek texts? Who knew!!
You might note that I did not say that the modern definition of virgin = unmarried girl.

I merely pointed out that the ancient Greek word that is sometimes translated as "virgin" by many Christians actually meant "unmarried girl".

If there is a translation problem, I believe it lies with the Christians.

#211937 Feb 10, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Magic = doing things that defy the laws of physics.

Miracle = doing things that defy the laws of physics.

Believing in miracles IS believing in magic.

#211938 Feb 10, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Just for sh*ts and grins, ask him to explain “Virginia State.”
Well, let's see...Virginia was named for the Virgin Queen of England, Elizabeth I, who was called that because she was unmarried. And she almost certainly wasn't virgin. So even 17th century English seems to have been somewhat confused on the subject.
Richardfs

Merrylands, Australia

#211939 Feb 10, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, let's see...Virginia was named for the Virgin Queen of England, Elizabeth I, who was called that because she was unmarried. And she almost certainly wasn't virgin. So even 17th century English seems to have been somewhat confused on the subject.
All of which goes to show the meaning of words change with time, consider pot, grass, ice and gay.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#211940 Feb 11, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Arguments from popularity are really quite stupid, most people on this planet believed the world to be flat at one time. Guess what? They were ALL WRONG. I can get just as many that disagree with your group, so in the end how do we determine who is right? Thats right, supporting demonstrable evidence.
You consider faith as value when faith is gullibility. You require "Faith" because you have no evidence for your belief. Fait is NOT a pathway to truth.
Are you implying that without religion you could not or would not devote your time and resources ti serve the world? Can you name on action done by Theists that can't be done by any secular group, including Atheists?
Atheists can offer any value that Theists can offer, there are many Atheists organizations that do charity work and serve their fellow man.
You have NO good reason to believe as you do, you believe because it simply makes you feel all warm and fuzzy.
I wasn't the one that brought up 'popularity'.

These are not people who believe the world is flat or 6000 years old. The find no conflict between what they understand about the Bible and what science knows.

On the other hand, atheists just caught up with the very first verse of the Bible, finally embracing the Big Bang theory.

ONE Church does more than all the atheists of that community. There is no equating.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A Universe from Nothing? 10 min Into The Night 472
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 59 min thetruth 43,139
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 1 hr thetruth 10,048
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 1 hr thetruth 4,818
News Hitchens, Dawkins and Harris are old news - a t... 1 hr thetruth 66
News Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns (Sep '14) 1 hr thetruth 345
News Athiest tells high schoolers God is evil (May '11) 1 hr thetruth 797
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr Thinking 18,492
News Why I quit atheism 13 hr Thinking 694
More from around the web