Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
203,201 - 203,220 of 226,296 Comments Last updated 16 min ago

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#211673 Feb 8, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
That's one twisted way to put it.
However, you leave out numerous alternative salvation stories, some not religious at all. Why the focus on just this one?
Think about it.
Smile.
If by twisted you mean succinct, I agree.

Location hidden

#211674 Feb 8, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> hahaaa...
Good rebuttals~/. We've all learned so, so much from your views given above~/.
<quoted text> Maybe you could clarify the "leaving out a lot and from the tone it all sounds absurd" part with your insight.
<quoted text>
It's original, although I've stated it in numerous ways.
It doesn't come from religious doctrine or a book of myth, if that's what you're asking.
I, for one, thought you did an excellent job of distilling christianity down to its essence - sacrificial clones, sexual predator ghosts, and zombies.

Location hidden

#211675 Feb 8, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Factually incorrect is all that is necessary. Hahaa is more of a response having nothing to do with logic. You cannot even get right what you critique. That means you respond to a distortion. A phantom.
<quoted text> Could and have but it would be a waste of time. Paul critiqued it all 1900+ years ago when he stated the gospel is foolishness to those who are perishing.
<quoted text>
<quoted text> Doubtful. Kilmare responded to a similar critique just a few pages away. At least Divinity Surgeon cites a source. Are you saying Divinity's source copied from you?
----------
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
"The Story of Salvation
Omnipotent God chooses not to use his power to simply forgive humankind, but instead implements a solution which requires that he impregnate a teen girl in order to give birth to himself so he can have himself slaughtered to save human beings from the hell that he created.
He then decides to communicate his scheme through conflicting accounts penned decades later by anonymous authors and subjectively handed down by flawed translators who can't even agree on the interpretation of "virgin".
Think about it."
- The Thinking Atheist.
----------
lightbeamrider wrote:
Is any of this original or paraphrases from a hostile site? Probably the latter.
<quoted text> Well seeing as how you got so much wrong it is believable you did not refer to the New Testament which you refer to as a book of myth. You must think you are right and 2000 years of Christianity has always been wrong. You do have a right to be wrong.
I am thoroughly impressed by Paul's prescience. Truly. I imagine this was his thought process: "I think that this stuff might look kind of silly to those we haven't indoctrinated yet. I'd better tell everyone that people only disagree with our beliefs because they're going to hell."

Location hidden

#211676 Feb 8, 2014
TheBlackSheep wrote:
Some might find this interesting:
So and So brought the betrayal of Jesus by Judas to my attention last night, and I've been thinking about it ever sense. Luke 22:3 says that Judas was possessed by Satan which led him to the Pharisees with his plan to double-cross Jesus.
Now, here is where things get weird for the bible narrative. If Satan is aware of God's plan to sacrifice Jesus in order to save humanity, and if Satan wants to take as many people to hell as he can, why on earth would he help God with his plan to have Jesus crucified thus providing a savior for the world?
Is Satan helping God?
Is God pulling Satan's strings?
Where is the free will that Christians claim exists in any of this?
Dude, you're not supposed to apply reason to christian beliefs. It only leads to trouble. Just tell yourself that god is mysterious and be done with it.

Location hidden

#211677 Feb 8, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
IMHO, Christianity is the "spiritual cowardice", in that it is following the herd, afraid of rocking the boat. Atheism is facing the truth, no matter how much you might want it to be otherwise. There is no evidence of God, but (most) Christians are afraid to face that fact.
Yep. What's harder, believing that your life is planned out by a loving god, and that no matter what happens you'll get to spend eternity in paradise with all your loved ones, or forgoing this admittedly attractive fantasy because there is no evidence for it?

"I'm so spiritually brave! I think that telepathically telling an egotistical, needy god that I love him will get me into heaven!"

Location hidden

#211678 Feb 8, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
The challenge has been to present an authentic prophecy.
I did. It is the first time 'ekklesia' is used in the NT, and is done so by Jesus.
Scaritual attempted to equate the passage to a silly rant.
I noted the dramatic difference. He then bailed.
Not sure what you are confused about.
Smile.
Let's hear this authentic prophecy. I'm crossing my fingers for a prophecy that is both predicted and fulfilled in the bible.

Location hidden

#211679 Feb 8, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
If you consider mocking denial 'bad manners', so be it. I have posted unanswered questions about the unique circumstances of the fulfilled Alien prediction of the Jews. Skeptics have no explanation except to brush them off.
Aliens!

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#211680 Feb 8, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Yep. What's harder, believing that your life is planned out by a loving god, and that no matter what happens you'll get to spend eternity in paradise with all your loved ones, or forgoing this admittedly attractive fantasy because there is no evidence for it?
"I'm so spiritually brave! I think that telepathically telling an egotistical, needy god that I love him will get me into heaven!"
Yeah. Most of these guys don't have a clue as to what it takes to leave your faith behind.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#211681 Feb 8, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I, for one, thought you did an excellent job of distilling christianity down to its essence - sacrificial clones, sexual predator ghosts, and zombies.
Thanks.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#211682 Feb 8, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Let's hear this authentic prophecy. I'm crossing my fingers for a prophecy that is both predicted and fulfilled in the bible.
The problem is not with prophecy. Rebirth of Israel is fulfilled prophecy. Prophecy is explained away by critics. Israel did not exist from 70AD to 1948. Matthew Henry predicted rebirth of Israel from Ezek 37.

http://biblehub.com/commentaries/mhc/ezekiel/...

37:15-28 This emblem was to show the people, that the Lord would unite Judah and Israel. Christ is the true David, Israel's King of old; and those whom he makes willing in the day of his power, he makes to walk in his judgments, and to keep his statutes. Events yet to come will further explain this prophecy. Nothing has more hindered the success of the gospel than divisions. Let us study to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace; let us seek for Divine grace to keep us from detestable things; and let us pray that all nations may be obedient and happy subjects of the Son of David, that the Lord may be our God, and we may be his people for evermore.

----------

This is around 1714 when Israel did not exist. Predicts rebirth if Israel on the same spot, self rule and undivided. Conditions not since the time of Solomon. Even when prophecy is fulfilled critics minimize and explain away which is exactly what you will do.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#211683 Feb 8, 2014
timn17 wrote:
I am thoroughly impressed by Paul's prescience. Truly. I imagine this was his thought process: "I think that this stuff might look kind of silly to those we haven't indoctrinated yet. I'd better tell everyone that people only disagree with our beliefs because they're going to hell."
In Acts Paul preaches to the Greeks and they mock. Kinda puts a damper on early Christians copying from pagan sources since when those sources were informed they responded with ridicule. Paul had no authority to indoctrinate anyone since he was a wandering evangelist. Other than mocking i don't see anything of substance here. It stands to reason if God is the source of all life then resurrection from the dead is no big deal. You are perhaps [?] free to reject those claims. Being dead spiritually perhaps you have no choice but to reject. You only think you do.
Bongo

Medford, NY

#211684 Feb 8, 2014
christINSANITY is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
You're projecting,again,dumbo
You remind me of a guy named snarl from Canada, he liked to drink Zima.

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#211685 Feb 8, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =qEd6QUbK2MwXX&feature=kp
Uhhhh, that song made my nose bleed.

Please don't do that again.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#211686 Feb 8, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> The problem is not with prophecy. Rebirth of Israel is fulfilled prophecy. Prophecy is explained away by critics. Israel did not exist from 70AD to 1948. Matthew Henry predicted rebirth of Israel from Ezek 37.
http://biblehub.com/commentaries/mhc/ezekiel/...
37:15-28 This emblem was to show the people, that the Lord would unite Judah and Israel. Christ is the true David, Israel's King of old; and those whom he makes willing in the day of his power, he makes to walk in his judgments, and to keep his statutes. Events yet to come will further explain this prophecy. Nothing has more hindered the success of the gospel than divisions. Let us study to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace; let us seek for Divine grace to keep us from detestable things; and let us pray that all nations may be obedient and happy subjects of the Son of David, that the Lord may be our God, and we may be his people for evermore.
----------
This is around 1714 when Israel did not exist. Predicts rebirth if Israel on the same spot, self rule and undivided. Conditions not since the time of Solomon. Even when prophecy is fulfilled critics minimize and explain away which is exactly what you will do.
<headdesk>

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#211687 Feb 8, 2014
River Tam wrote:
Uhhhh, that song made my nose bleed.
Please don't do that again.
I should have posted a warning.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#211688 Feb 8, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>Eagle 12 wrote, "<quoted text>
Something is always better than nothing.
"

Cool. Care to play a game of x01 in darts?
I was pretty good at that a few years back.
Cricket, too.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#211689 Feb 8, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Evidunce is Evilution is a lie!
lol!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#211690 Feb 8, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. Most of these guys don't have a clue as to what it takes to leave your faith behind.
.... you could have quit writing at the word "clue" and still be quite correct about these people.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#211691 Feb 8, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Tim? I haven't mentioned your name once, although DS isn't exactly *wrong,* as it is true that new agers often hold some.. interesting beliefs.
What evidence have you submitted? The runestone? That thing is quite clearly a fraud. Wolter ignores this because to acknowledge it would be to discredit one of his nonsensical theories.
Another example - Wolter insists that "mayan" iconography found in the US proves that the mayans had settlements here, while ignoring that this iconography was popular in many places and that the travel of ideas and symbols is a much more likely explanation than the migration of people.
Citation please.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#211692 Feb 8, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Tim? I haven't mentioned your name once, although DS isn't exactly *wrong,* as it is true that new agers often hold some.. interesting beliefs.
What evidence have you submitted? The runestone? That thing is quite clearly a fraud. Wolter ignores this because to acknowledge it would be to discredit one of his nonsensical theories.
Another example - Wolter insists that "mayan" iconography found in the US proves that the mayans had settlements here, while ignoring that this iconography was popular in many places and that the travel of ideas and symbols is a much more likely explanation than the migration of people.
More opinions?

Why do you keep referencing the only artifact you "understand", when clearly the series shows of many different sights and relics?

Please provide your citations that also mimics what you express.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 9 min _Bad Company 419
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 18 min Mikko 45
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 33 min Patrick 27
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 42 min Patrick 172
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 46 min Patrick 21,501
100% Faith Free 4 hr Thinking 11
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 4 hr ChristineM 902
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••