Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258485 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#211886 Feb 10, 2014
Mighty Babylon, 196 miles square, was enclosed not only by a moat, but also by a double wall 330 feet high, each part 90 feet thick. It was said by unanimous popular opinion to be indestructible, yet two Bible prophets declared its doom. These prophets further claimed that the ruins would be avoided by travelers, that the city would never again be inhabited, and that its stones would not even be moved for use as building material (Isaiah 13:17-22 and Jeremiah 51:26, 43). Their description is, in fact, the well-documented history of the famous citadel. www.reasons.og
Richardfs

Merrylands, Australia

#211887 Feb 10, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I’m just wondering why you would even ask that question if you were a Christian for 40 years. Here is just one of many prophecies that was fulfilled.
You said you were a Christian for 40 years. Why do I have to teach a former Christian?
Just one of many.
Old Testament Prophecy:
“Therefore the Lord Himself shall give you a sign, Behold, the young woman who is unmarried and a virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel–God with us (Isaiah 7:14).
Fulfillment:
“Now the birth of Jesus Christ took place under these circumstances: When His mother Mary had been promised in marriage to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be pregnant (through the power) of the Holy Spirit”(Matthew 1:18).
So you are saying there were no unmarried pregnant women prior to 0BC.
In that case we have the bibull to blame for all single moms in the world

BTW Virgin meant unmarried girl.
Richardfs

Merrylands, Australia

#211888 Feb 10, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Some 400 years before crucifixion was invented, both Israel's King David and the prophet Zechariah described the Messiah's death in words that perfectly depict that mode of execution. Further, they said that the body would be pierced and that none of the bones would be broken, contrary to customary procedure in cases of crucifixion (Psalm 22 and 34:20; Zechariah 12:10). Again, historians and New Testament writers confirm the fulfillment: Jesus of Nazareth died on a Roman cross, and his extraordinarily quick death eliminated the need for the usual breaking of bones. A spear was thrust into his side to verify that he was, indeed, dead. www.reasons.org
My prophecy has come true.

I am writing to the Guinness Book of Records claiming I have made the world's fastest prophecy.

“Don't try to goad me...”

Since: Nov 07

... I'm a goadless heathen.

#211889 Feb 10, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
In the fifth century B.C. a prophet named Zechariah declared that the Messiah would be betrayed for the price of a slave—thirty pieces of silver, according to Jewish law-and also that this money would be used to buy a burial ground for Jerusalem's poor foreigners (Zechariah 11:12-13). Bible writers and secular historians both record thirty pieces of silver as the sum paid to Judas Iscariot for betraying Jesus, and they indicate that the money went to purchase a "potter's field," used—just as predicted—for the burial of poor aliens (Matthew 27:3-10). www.reasons.org
Except the unknown author of "Matthew" attributes the prophesy to Jeremiah.

You'd think that if you were going to spin a yarn about prophesies being fulfilled, you'd get the prophet right.
Richardfs

Merrylands, Australia

#211890 Feb 10, 2014
Judging by the votecons I have tick off a godbot, I wonder who it might be.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#211891 Feb 10, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>My prophecy has come true.

I am writing to the Guinness Book of Records claiming I have made the world's fastest prophecy.
Oh great prophet! Teach us!
Richardfs

Merrylands, Australia

#211892 Feb 10, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh great prophet! Teach us!
You've had your freebie. It's $19.99 a hit from now on.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#211893 Feb 10, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I’m just wondering why you would even ask that question if you were a Christian for 40 years. Here is just one of many prophecies that was fulfilled.
You said you were a Christian for 40 years. Why do I have to teach a former Christian?
Just one of many.
Old Testament Prophecy:
“Therefore the Lord Himself shall give you a sign, Behold, the young woman who is unmarried and a virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel–God with us (Isaiah 7:14).
Fulfillment:
“Now the birth of Jesus Christ took place under these circumstances: When His mother Mary had been promised in marriage to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be pregnant (through the power) of the Holy Spirit”(Matthew 1:18).
Except, of course, that the virgin birth never happened...

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#211894 Feb 10, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
Mighty Babylon, 196 miles square, was enclosed not only by a moat, but also by a double wall 330 feet high, each part 90 feet thick. It was said by unanimous popular opinion to be indestructible, yet two Bible prophets declared its doom. These prophets further claimed that the ruins would be avoided by travelers, that the city would never again be inhabited, and that its stones would not even be moved for use as building material (Isaiah 13:17-22 and Jeremiah 51:26, 43). Their description is, in fact, the well-documented history of the famous citadel. www.reasons.og
330 feet high???

It is too laugh.

You clearly don't know much about the limitations of building with un-mortared stone. You might note that all tall structures built with un-mortared stone are in the form of a pyramid. That is because steep angles of un-mortared stone are unstable, as evidenced by several early Egyptian pyramids that collapsed when built with steep walls and above a limited height.

How long was it supposed to have taken to build this 33 story high, 90 foot thick, 800 mile long wall?

You'll believe just about anything, won't you?

Location hidden

#211895 Feb 10, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>You've had your freebie. It's $19.99 a hit from now on.
Gosh darn it! Bloody profits..

*walks off shaking head in disgust*
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#211896 Feb 10, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you only knew what you don’t know. Then you would know that you didn’t know what you claimed to know. Knowing nothing as if it was something is a weight without the scale.
And you have nothing to compare because you have nothing from the beginning. In the end you will still have nothing. Belief in nothingness is not something to be proud of.
Try selling non existing hot chocolate in a blizzard. Or imaginary snow cones in the hot Summer. Even though you have nothing, you’re so proud of your nothingness.
Your argument is non existent because it’s without substance. Something is always better than nothing. And nothing is all you have. Zero multiplied or divided by Zero always equals Zero.
Zero is what you believe in and Zero is nothing.
I think I'll jump in here, I can help myself from responding to nonsense.

First off I don't believe in "nothingness" I don't even know what "nothingness" is, do you? I have numerous things I believe in and for everyone one of them I have supporting evidence, can you say the same?

Can you define "nothingness?" or are you just talking out of your ass?

In order for you to believe a virgin was impregnated without physical contact with male, or by any other natural means, as in artificial insemination, you are required to believe in magic. Saying we have nothing to compare it to is simply a bold faced lie, we have REALITY to compare it to, the naturalistic realm. When using reality as a comparison, we have no examples of a female becoming pregnant without sexual contact or artificial means, as a matter of fact medical science will tell you no such event has ever been documented throughout medical history.

You may claim this event happened, but once again, you MUST use magic, Godmagic as a cause. I stopped believing in magic a long tie ago, you seem to still hold on the childish idea that magic is real, why is that? Religious poisoning? I think that is the only answer, so, GROW UP will ya!!!!!

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#211897 Feb 10, 2014
http://tinyurl.com/lbhkww7
Eagle 12 wrote:
(...) Here is just one of many prophecies that was fulfilled(...)
But...
Eagle 12 wrote:
In the fifth century B.C. a prophet named Zechariah declared(...)
Where...
Eagle 12 wrote:
Some 400 years before(...)
How...
Eagle 12 wrote:
Mighty Babylon, 196 miles(...)
Hold on, where's the evidence that support these claims made in the bible?

<Bird-theist> "In the bible, of course ...You just read the bible and once a prophecy is made in the bible, later on while reading the bible, you read in the bible that the bible prophecy made in the bible was fulfilled just like the bible said .... "

"OH"

Location hidden

#211898 Feb 10, 2014
scaritual wrote:
But...
Eagle 12 wrote, "In the fifth century B.C. a prophet named Zechariah declared(...)"

Where...
Eagle 12 wrote, "Some 400 years before(...)"

How...
Eagle 12 wrote, "Mighty Babylon, 196 miles(...) "

Hold on, where's the evidence that support these claims made in the bible?

<Bird-theist> "In the bible, of course ...You just read the bible and once a prophecy is made in the bible, later on while reading the bible, you read in the bible that the bible prophecy made in the bible was fulfilled just like the bible said .... "

"OH"
Ok, this is way funnier.

Hi, scar :D

#211899 Feb 10, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> But...
<quoted text>
Where...
<quoted text> How...
<quoted text> Hold on, where's the evidence that support these claims made in the bible?
"OH"
Kinda like in Harry Potter where it was prophesied that Harry would be the bane of Voldemort. And guess what. Harry WAS the bane of Voldemort. So there you have it. A prophecy fulfilled.

All hail Harry Potter.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#211900 Feb 10, 2014
KiMare wrote:
You falsely deny that the Bible contains numerous profound things,

A nobody in a subjected country, rejected by his own people, predicted the birth of Christianity. You pretend that is of no account, DESPITE THE FACT THAT CHRISTIANS SIGNIFICANTLY OUTNUMBER ATHEISTS!
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't seen anything profound in it. You simply insist otherwise.
<quoted text>
And I explained to you why that was a trivial prediction, not profound. Somewhere today, somebody will predict the correct lottery numbers. The proper way to understand the significance of that is in the context of all of the other lottery prophets that failed. Every cult that claims to have secret and powerful knowledge or divine favor sees itself as the early Christians did. Some will be correct about their longevity just as some will be correct in their choice of lottery numbers. So what?
You waste my time 'it'.

You claim rationality and compare a faith that requires self-sacrifice with a chance opportunity for wealth. Clearly apples and Pluto.

That is not reason, it is idiotic scoffing.masquerading as intelligence.

The fact is, Judaism and Christianity stand apart from any religion or belief system, in spite of your religious 'lottery'. One maintains it's identity while every other culture fails, the other transforms every culture and religion it comes in contact with.

The fact is, Jesus' prophecy was fulfilled and is in practice today.

#211901 Feb 10, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Gosh darn it! Bloody profits..
*walks off shaking head in disgust*
If I write a book telling the future, and sell it for $9.99 a copy, does that make me a profit?

Location hidden

#211902 Feb 10, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>If I write a book telling the future, and sell it for $9.99 a copy, does that make me a profit?
Lol.

Affirmative.

Location hidden

#211903 Feb 10, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Even more interestingly, Jesus makes that claim at the literal location of the Roman/Greek 'gate of hell'. It also was the location of the Temple of Pan. In the very face of the 'wisdom of that age', he made his prophecy. In historical short order, not only were those gods dismissed, but the very power of that time, the Roman Empire was converted!
<quoted text>
Why is that profound or even interesting? Do you know the Texas Sharpshooter fallacy?
"You cherry-picked a data cluster to suit your argument, or found a pattern to fit a presumption."
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/the-texas-sh...
"You tend to ignore random chance when the results seem meaningful or when you want a random event to have a meaningful cause."
http://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/09/11/the-te...
I 'cherry picked' nothing. A nobody who claimed to be God in flesh stood at the gates of hell and prophesied about the power of future followers. In short order, that belief system turned the most powerful Empire on it's head. It continues to do so with kingdoms and religions. Hardly random or chance.

The only thing you have revealed is your denial.
Richardfs

Merrylands, Australia

#211904 Feb 10, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
If I write a book telling the future, and sell it for $9.99 a copy, does that make me a profit?
Or does it make you a prophet for profit?

Location hidden

#211905 Feb 10, 2014
<quoted text>
Perhaps you should explain why you think this stuff is valuable. Nobody else here seems to. You probably think that you have special insight. I suspect that the majority see you as I do, which is a little different from that.
LOL, who are you talking about? Five people on here?

Sunday I attended a Church with 4,000 people who disagree with all of your group. Later I attended a meeting of over 100 professional people, including professors from a large liberal college. We meet weekly to study and discuss the Bible. All of us view our faith as so valuable, we devote your time, resources and talent to serve literally around the world.

Your response? Scoffing.

Lets put the shoe on the other foot. Tell me, what value do you offer through your atheism?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 min Subduction Zone 79,889
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) 4 hr Eagle 12 - 58
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 22 hr Eagle 12 - 32,581
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) Sep 16 blacklagoon 3 91
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Sep 15 xfrodobagginsx 101
News Atheist billboards to mock Romney, Obama faith (Aug '12) Sep 15 superwilly 47
what science will NEVER be able to prove Sep 15 Me _ Myself _ I 8
More from around the web