Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#211696 Feb 8, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
lol
I'm only taking this because you are Yoda.
Yoda? My name is Fredrick and
I'm from Hollywood. lol

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#211697 Feb 8, 2014
River Tam wrote:
So that's what churches spend tithes on.

"They're not just friends holding hands! Watch out!"

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#211698 Feb 8, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not allowed to have sharp objects anymore. That's why I hang around with Buck Crick.
I thought it was because you liked a huge weenie?
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#211699 Feb 8, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Cool. Care to play a game of x01 in darts?
Darts?

Who plays darts these days?

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#211700 Feb 8, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
So that's what churches spend tithes on.
"They're not just friends holding hands! Watch out!"
Mia was oblivious to it at first but I wasn't. I watched the transformation at church. At first they thought she brought her friend to the fold. The girl with one leg. I watched as one by one they realised that we were more than just friends. They weren't just staring and whispering about my missing limb anymore.

Mia has faith. I tried to tell her. She didn't get it until it was her turn to work the nursery during the service and they skipped her. I tried to tell her.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#211701 Feb 8, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
"In the beginning...."
Thereís always a beginning and without it thereís no ending.

You had a birth day. That was your beginning. And most assuredly you will have a expiration day.

All thatĎs between your beginning until your ending is a life that has embraced nothing. And nothing is what you will be remembered for.

A life of nothingness. Then you will be forgotten as if you were never born.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#211702 Feb 8, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> The problem is not with prophecy. Rebirth of Israel is fulfilled prophecy. Prophecy is explained away by critics. Israel did not exist from 70AD to 1948. Matthew Henry predicted rebirth of Israel from Ezek 37.
http://biblehub.com/commentaries/mhc/ezekiel/...
37:15-28 This emblem was to show the people, that the Lord would unite Judah and Israel. Christ is the true David, Israel's King of old; and those whom he makes willing in the day of his power, he makes to walk in his judgments, and to keep his statutes. Events yet to come will further explain this prophecy. Nothing has more hindered the success of the gospel than divisions. Let us study to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace; let us seek for Divine grace to keep us from detestable things; and let us pray that all nations may be obedient and happy subjects of the Son of David, that the Lord may be our God, and we may be his people for evermore.
----------
This is around 1714 when Israel did not exist. Predicts rebirth if Israel on the same spot, self rule and undivided. Conditions not since the time of Solomon. Even when prophecy is fulfilled critics minimize and explain away which is exactly what you will do.
Is it really that surprising that fantasies about taking back israel figure prominently in a religion originally descended from israel? Honestly, as far as prophecies go, that's not very impressive.

And prophecy certainly is an issue. You're basically asserting that the bible has a good track record on prophecy and that skeptics simply ignore it and explain it away. That's not even remotely true. The bible is *filled* with failed prophecies, and the few that are claimed as fulfilled are so vague and nonsensical that they're meaningless. We're talking about the word of god here, not the absurd ramblings of a soothsayer. Why would an all knowing god fill his only testament to mankind with prophecies that are wrong far, far more often than not? It simply doesn't make any sense.

Also, Ezekiel 37 sounds more like god promising Ezekiel that he'll raise raise a zombie army to retake israel and make a magic stick to unite everyone under joseph and judah.

"Come, breath, from the four winds and breathe into these slain, that they may live.íĒ 10 So I prophesied as he commanded me, and breath entered them; they came to life and stood up on their feetóa vast army."

"Then you, my people, will know that I am the Lord, when I open your graves and bring you up from them. 14 I will put my Spirit in you and you will live, and I will settle you in your own land. Then you will know that I the Lord have spoken, and I have done it, declares the Lord.íĒ

Awesome. I can get behind that.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#211703 Feb 8, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Mia was oblivious to it at first but I wasn't. I watched the transformation at church. At first they thought she brought her friend to the fold. The girl with one leg. I watched as one by one they realised that we were more than just friends. They weren't just staring and whispering about my missing limb anymore.
Mia has faith. I tried to tell her. She didn't get it until it was her turn to work the nursery during the service and they skipped her. I tried to tell her.
Is it recent, and is she very upset?
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#211704 Feb 8, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Every church Iíve attended always had Momís work the nursery. And every Mom that works the nursery is a church member.

Itís kind of unfair to ask someone who has no children to watch someone elseís kids.

Iím telling you it takes a mom with a hell of a strong stomach to deal with some of those diapers.

And I wouldnít be so sure people assume you two are a couple in that way. For all they know you two could be cousins.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#211705 Feb 8, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Is it really that surprising that fantasies about taking back israel figure prominently in a religion originally descended from israel? Honestly, as far as prophecies go, that's not very impressive.
And prophecy certainly is an issue. You're basically asserting that the bible has a good track record on prophecy and that skeptics simply ignore it and explain it away. That's not even remotely true. The bible is *filled* with failed prophecies, and the few that are claimed as fulfilled are so vague and nonsensical that they're meaningless. We're talking about the word of god here, not the absurd ramblings of a soothsayer. Why would an all knowing god fill his only testament to mankind with prophecies that are wrong far, far more often than not? It simply doesn't make any sense.
Also, Ezekiel 37 sounds more like god promising Ezekiel that he'll raise raise a zombie army to retake israel and make a magic stick to unite everyone under joseph and judah.
"Come, breath, from the four winds and breathe into these slain, that they may live.íĒ 10 So I prophesied as he commanded me, and breath entered them; they came to life and stood up on their feetóa vast army."
"Then you, my people, will know that I am the Lord, when I open your graves and bring you up from them. 14 I will put my Spirit in you and you will live, and I will settle you in your own land. Then you will know that I the Lord have spoken, and I have done it, declares the Lord.íĒ
Awesome. I can get behind that.
I mean honestly an atheist teaching a bible study is like an orangutan trying to teach Calculus.

All you can do is what the orangutan does and thatís jump up and down and yell while swinging your arms. Teach us something you know how to do like eating a banana.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#211706 Feb 8, 2014
KiMare wrote:
I simply point out significant contradictions to your claim that the Bible is a worthless book of fiction. That says nothing about my faith and much about your bigotry and ignorance.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
This is what you posted:

Matthew 16:17-18 (NASB77) 17 And Jesus answered and said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. 18 "And I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades shall not overpower it.

How does that support your position? Because Christianity is still around? Do you think that those words make the Christian bible valuable? Do you consider them quality prophecy, or valuable in any other way? Apparently skeptics see them differently.

I saw your scriptures and commented, "Thanks. That was a big help. "

Scaritual parodied them with "1)A great and holy breeze came forth issuing down from the heavens, and the Jesus! began to slowly turn and even to spin. Then sparks flew from his eyes, yea, and even from his toes. 2)Then the Jesus spake, and said unto them; '"WHEEEE HEE HEEE HEEE!".- Revolution, Chapter 2: 1, 2 (Parable of the Whirled) "

Do you still think that you produced something of value there, or that you have made the case that your bible is more than what skeptics say it is?
KiMare wrote:
The challenge has been to present an authentic prophecy. I did. It is the first time 'ekklesia' is used in the NT, and is done so by Jesus. Scaritual attempted to equate the passage to a silly rant. I noted the dramatic difference. He then bailed. Not sure what you are confused about. Smile.
First, you changed your story from " I simply point out significant contradictions to your claim that the Bible is a worthless book of fiction" to "The challenge has been to present an authentic prophecy." You seem to have confused me with another poster, assuming that anybody actually asked you to provide a prophecy from the bible. Why would anybody? We can find them ourselves. Here's one: "Behold, I am coming soon." - Revelation 22:7

Then you failed to answer several questions, all related to your implication that the words you provided were more than trivial in significance:

[1] How does that support your position? Because Christianity is still around? Do you think that those words make the Christian bible valuable?

[2] Do you consider them quality prophecy, or valuable in any other way?

[3] Do you still think that you produced something of value there, or that you have made the case that your bible is more than what skeptics say it is?

I assume that you had good reasons for evading those questions. We can each speculate what those were.

But since you decline to answer them, I'll answer them for you: No those words do not make the bible valuable, they are not quality prophecy, and you have not made the case that the bible is more than a typical religious book.

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#211707 Feb 8, 2014
River Tam wrote:
Are you going tomorrow?

Location hidden

#211708 Feb 8, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it recent, and is she very upset?
Yes and yes.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#211709 Feb 8, 2014
KiMare wrote:
I have posted unanswered questions about the unique circumstances of the fulfilled Alien prediction of the Jews. Skeptics have no explanation except to brush them off.
Explanations for what? Your assertion that certain biblical passages imply alien visitations? Nobody found your argument compelling. What more did you need?

Location hidden

#211710 Feb 8, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Every church Iíve attended always had Momís work the nursery. And every Mom that works the nursery is a church member.
Itís kind of unfair to ask someone who has no children to watch someone elseís kids.
Iím telling you it takes a mom with a hell of a strong stomach to deal with some of those diapers.
And I wouldnít be so sure people assume you two are a couple in that way. For all they know you two could be cousins.
New Flash !!!!!!!!

It's not 1939 anymore, Eagle.

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#211711 Feb 8, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
You can't help it, can you?

Your concern is in providing damage control to protect the image of Christianity, lest someone get the right idea.

Location hidden

#211712 Feb 8, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why did you change churches? Did you move or did they ask you to leave?

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#211713 Feb 8, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thereís always a beginning and without it thereís no ending.

Unless it's your deity, then >it< bypasses your statement above, no?

Eagle 12 wrote:
You had a birth day. That was your beginning. And most assuredly you will have a expiration day.
Yep.
Eagle 12 wrote:
All thatĎs between your beginning until your ending is a life that has embraced nothing. And nothing is what you will be remembered for.
A life of nothingness.
Your perception of yourself is damaged.

Your religious belief in magical thinking has damaged you, so much, that you believe I must believe as you do, in order to have made an impact in the world among others, and to have meaning in life.

Theism is a pox upon humanity.
Eagle 12 wrote:
Then you will be forgotten as if you were never born.
Yep.

You too.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#211714 Feb 8, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> In Acts Paul preaches to the Greeks and they mock. Kinda puts a damper on early Christians copying from pagan sources since when those sources were informed they responded with ridicule. Paul had no authority to indoctrinate anyone since he was a wandering evangelist. Other than mocking i don't see anything of substance here. It stands to reason if God is the source of all life then resurrection from the dead is no big deal. You are perhaps [?] free to reject those claims. Being dead spiritually perhaps you have no choice but to reject. You only think you do.
It was a joke - you missed the point. The point was that paul's ability to acknowledge and predict the existence of unbelievers doesn't mean anything - you quote him as the very existence of non christians validates paul's prediction - perhaps as an indicator of divinely inspired prescience. Absurd.

Certain christian beliefs, by their nature, are bound to inspire a certain level of skepticism. The christian way is to tell people that they are sinful, guilty - wrong just for being human. Is it surprising that these disgusting pieces of dogma inspire resistance? Is it surprising that paul decided that he was being mocked because his opponents were "spiritually dead?" (as you so charitably referred to me, further proving my point).

I wasn't mocking anyone. I was making the obvious point that the "all nonchristians are spiritually dead, hellblound, and potentially influenced by satan" piece of non logic makes more sense if we think about it as a belief reinforcement mechanism, as opposed to a meaningful prediction.

Location hidden

#211715 Feb 8, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you going tomorrow?
No.

She still doesn't quite get it. She's been in the rotation for a few years. I'm trying to keep my mouth shut. Reality is upon us and one of us just felt the weight of it.

I tried to tell her.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 54 min Denisova 18,852
News Confessions of a black atheist 6 hr Mikko 475
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... Sun Amused 25
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) Sun thetruth 6,124
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Sun thetruth 2,094
News The Consequences of Atheism Sat Koala_Gums 1,340
News Gary Gutting and Alvin Plantinga "Is Atheism Ir... May 2 geezerjock 1
More from around the web