Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258478 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#211580 Feb 7, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a pleasure to have your beautiful spirit back with us. You represent the triumph of faith over reason, evidence, and compassion very well, and why we should all welcome and encourage its signature imprint on as many of our neighbors as possible..
You don't know my faith.

You just don't know how to handle the mocking of your supposed reason, evidence and morality.

Smile.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#211581 Feb 7, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Whatever you say, cupcake.
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I know.
Smile.
Delusions are like that.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#211582 Feb 7, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Delusions are like that.
Yeah, you sure proved that, didn't you?

Snicker.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#211583 Feb 7, 2014
scaritual wrote: Whatever you say, cupcake.

KiMare wrote:I know.
Smile.

scaritual wrote:Delusions are like that.
KiMare wrote:
Yeah, you sure proved that, didn't you?
Snicker.
Yeah, you'll recover, cupcake.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#211584 Feb 7, 2014
<quoted text>
Thanks.
Truth be told, I loved the tampon and cotton joke, too. I just don't know what to do with it. I really don't want to hurt anybody, nor be mistaken for a racist. I also don't want to throw out a good joke of there is a way to use it without risking either of the above. I'm pretty sure that Catcher and Happy Lesbo would recommend that I never tell that joke. I'm conflicted.
<quoted text>
I see your point. I see theirs, too. I'm conflicted.
There can never be too much laughter IMO

Some stuff is just funny. Dave Chapelle was a genius at making fun of everyone including his own race equally and it bright people together. In the audience all you saw was people from every demographic laughing together. When done right it can actually be a huge positive. Then jealous people got in his head and convinced him he was a "sellout" until the lie became his reality and he snapped but that's a different discussion. But he showed what a bond comedy can be when we don't take things and ourselves so seriously

Now granted most jokes aren't rising to some sort of social benefit. But among people who know each other they certainly aren't doing any harm IMO.

Now I get there is a difference being a white make whose demo has not been generally the target of malicious attacks or inequality. So I totally can see the point that when among strangers who might not know our motives it can be harmful. But in here? We all know the difference. Hell me and Aura have gone at it since day one and he knows I would have never made a mom joke had I known his mom passed

I understand being socially responsible. But at the same time, sometimes jokes are just jokes. I say if they are funny and you are in a group you know, go ahead and laugh. Life forces us to be serious enough as it is

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#211585 Feb 7, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove me wrong. Show some skepticism. So far all you have shown is gullibility.
No.

I've provided enough evidence to support my opinion.

I have no need to "prove you wrong" - you can believe as you choose.

BTW - you're the one who has posted - using only personal opinions - that what I've stated is "fringe". Yet you provide no evidence to support that it is invalid. Hmmmm - you are starting to sound spurious.

And not - just an FYI - I'm not gullible - far from it. But you seem to be touched by some of it yourself, based upon what you say your own belief is.

Prove me wrong.

See - it works both ways when honesty comes into play, huh?

Interpretation is perception.

Perception is Self.

Cheers.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#211586 Feb 7, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you may have just convinced New Age that unicorns are real.
Ha.

“The unicorn, through its intemperance and not knowing how to control itself, for the love it bears to fair maidens forgets its ferocity and wildness; and laying aside all fear it will go up to a seated damsel and go to sleep in her lap, and thus the hunters take it.”

- da Vinci

Man, it would be so easy to make a show like America Unearthed - just hunt down some nonsensical quotes from historical figures, find an ancient drawing of a unicorn, play some spooky music, hint at a government cover up, and there you have it.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#211587 Feb 7, 2014
<quoted text>
That's how I feel after I think, but not before. I don't want to be a guy who retaliates. I understand how it is a destructive act. But the instinct to do so anyway is strong.
Yes it is-- I think it's a primitive social thing, in that when we humans lived in smallish tribes, then retaliation was a useful trait to remove an anti-social element.

But these days, we are more than tribes, and hopefully, more than our base instincts too.

Location hidden

#211588 Feb 7, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you seen the HBO special called Talking Funny?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =OKY6BGcx37kXX
No, I haven't. Looks good though, I've skimmed through it and will finish it later.

"Did he do the whistle?" ha

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#211589 Feb 7, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Ha.
“The unicorn, through its intemperance and not knowing how to control itself, for the love it bears to fair maidens forgets its ferocity and wildness; and laying aside all fear it will go up to a seated damsel and go to sleep in her lap, and thus the hunters take it.”
- da Vinci
Man, it would be so easy to make a show like America Unearthed - just hunt down some nonsensical quotes from historical figures, find an ancient drawing of a unicorn, play some spooky music, hint at a government cover up, and there you have it.
New Age thinks he has "provided enough evidence to support [his] opinion".

LOL

The only evidence he has provided is the "evidence" provided by Wolter, and that is sorely lacking. I believe I hypothesized that New Age is very gullible on such things, and he continues to prove my point.

You have done a good job of showing Wolter's dishonesty. But New Age, being a fan, will hear none of it. Sad.

(This all reminds me of Buck and his support of Barton.)

Wolter's claims are not just extraordinary. They border on the ludicrous. The idea of the Knights Templar navigating the Atlantic well before Columbus is ridiculous. The only European ships before Columbus's time that could make the journey were the Viking longships, and even those had to stay close to shorelines for most of the journey. The caravels that Columbus used were a relatively new invention and were the first European ships capable of having more than a snowball's chance of sailing directly to America.

And, as you pointed out, Wolter's "main piece of evidence", the rune stone, is almost certainly a fake.

#211590 Feb 7, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Ha.
- da Vinci
Well, I saw the most horrendous monster the other day. It had the head of a horse and the body of a unicorn.

Location hidden

#211591 Feb 7, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Gauging by my namesake to suppose knowledge.
Ay yes - the use of a familiar "christian" tactic - making comments upon the poster's name instead of disputing the evidence with opinions.
Gotcha DS. You and tim seem to be doing well with it.
Tim? I haven't mentioned your name once, although DS isn't exactly *wrong,* as it is true that new agers often hold some.. interesting beliefs.

What evidence have you submitted? The runestone? That thing is quite clearly a fraud. Wolter ignores this because to acknowledge it would be to discredit one of his nonsensical theories.

Another example - Wolter insists that "mayan" iconography found in the US proves that the mayans had settlements here, while ignoring that this iconography was popular in many places and that the travel of ideas and symbols is a much more likely explanation than the migration of people.

Location hidden

#211592 Feb 7, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
New Age thinks he has "provided enough evidence to support [his] opinion".
LOL
The only evidence he has provided is the "evidence" provided by Wolter, and that is sorely lacking. I believe I hypothesized that New Age is very gullible on such things, and he continues to prove my point.
You have done a good job of showing Wolter's dishonesty. But New Age, being a fan, will hear none of it. Sad.
(This all reminds me of Buck and his support of Barton.)
Wolter's claims are not just extraordinary. They border on the ludicrous. The idea of the Knights Templar navigating the Atlantic well before Columbus is ridiculous. The only European ships before Columbus's time that could make the journey were the Viking longships, and even those had to stay close to shorelines for most of the journey. The caravels that Columbus used were a relatively new invention and were the first European ships capable of having more than a snowball's chance of sailing directly to America.
And, as you pointed out, Wolter's "main piece of evidence", the rune stone, is almost certainly a fake.
Indeed. I wonder why shows like this have become so popular. I mean, our actual history is very interesting as is.

Location hidden

#211593 Feb 7, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I saw the most horrendous monster the other day. It had the head of a horse and the body of a unicorn.
Ah, well just the other day, I ordered crushed unicorn horn from a chinese pharmacy. I had been skeptical about its legitimacy, but your sighting has me convinced.

#211594 Feb 7, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Indeed. I wonder why shows like this have become so popular. I mean, our actual history is very interesting as is.
In part, I think it has to do with the anti-intellectual attitude so much of the US population holds. "That'll show them high-falutin' professors what's what."

Plus, "I seen it on that there History Channel. So it must be true."

“Miles from Nohweh”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#211595 Feb 8, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
My Dad took me to a circus when I was little. They had an albino zebra.

They also had the world's tallest midget. He was 5'10" !!!

You should have seen the bearded man. I'm sayin.

It was worth the 50 cent admission.

Location hidden

#211596 Feb 8, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
In part, I think it has to do with the anti-intellectual attitude so much of the US population holds. "That'll show them high-falutin' professors what's what."
Plus, "I seen it on that there History Channel. So it must be true."
Yeah, that makes sense - the thought of having the ability to "see the truth" and "make the connections" in spite of all those evil establishment scientists is probably very attractive for certain people.

And yeah, the history channel should have to change its name.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#211597 Feb 8, 2014
It's a pleasure to have your beautiful spirit back with us. You represent the triumph of faith over reason, evidence, and compassion very well, and why we should all welcome and encourage its signature imprint on as many of our neighbors as possible..
KiMare wrote:
You don't know my faith.
You keep saying that like there is some missing information of any importance. What more do I need to know than that you are a faith based thinker that treats Christian scripture as if it were authoritative? What more on the subject could possibly be of interest or value in judging you the man you show us?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#211598 Feb 8, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Yeah, you sure proved that, didn't you? Snicker.
What's with all of this talk about proof from you? My standard for belief is evidence,and yours is less than that.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#211599 Feb 8, 2014
"The Story of Salvation

Omnipotent God chooses not to use his power to simply forgive humankind, but instead implements a solution which requires that he impregnate a teen girl in order to give birth to himself so he can have himself slaughtered to save human beings from the hell that he created.

He then decides to communicate his scheme through conflicting accounts penned decades later by anonymous authors and subjectively handed down by flawed translators who can't even agree on the interpretation of "virgin".

Think about it."

- The Thinking Atheist.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 9 min Dogen 61,792
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 29 min Dogen 2,794
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 1 hr Uncle Sam 100
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 2 hr Eagle 12 5,973
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Tue Regolith Based Li... 28,326
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) Mar 22 Eagle 12 452
Deconversion Mar 20 Eagle 12 138
More from around the web