Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258475 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#211410 Feb 6, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
I for one take racism very seriously.
It's a blight on our society, and you are a prime contributor to that blight.
What's worse, lawyers or racists?

Who contributes more blight?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#211411 Feb 6, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
Can you tell the difference between the touch of God and the touch of Odin? What is the difference between their voices?
You choose to attribute an experience to the deity you believe in. It happens every day to people who believe in many different deities.
A strong confirmation bias in combination with pattern seeking behavior leads people to think they have evidence for something, even though they have no link between an observation and their belief.
I don't know how or why, I just..........know.
I've had such experiences before.
Do tell.

Don't worry, the other atheists won't make fun of you. You're one of them.
Your ignorance would be a problem, if I was still trying to teach you. I've given up on that.
I appreciate your participation, however you decide to involve yourself.
Kewl
Bongo

Miller Place, NY

#211412 Feb 6, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks again for sharing the fruits of your faith based upbringing. You've show us a lot of character. Do you credit your church?
Ah Ians, youre highly esteemed but, I think your disdain of God is so bad that you probably are mad that he put the snackbar of vagina right next door to a shithouse. He is the alpha and omega, we are tiny little specks. Accept it man.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#211413 Feb 6, 2014
<quoted text>
What a phony.
You can see him looking downward and being prompted with data - 65 million years at 00:38, and bishop Ussher at 1:08, whose name he clearly forgot a few seconds earlier. Watch him misread "Tyrasausus rex" (sic) at 1:28. And all the while, he's mocking another Christian for being ign'ant.
Wait until Michelle Bachmann and Ann Coulter get wind of this teleprompter scandal.
You really think he needed a teleprompter for that? He didn't call out any real specifics, he named Bishop Ussher , the "Terasaurus Rex" lol and the 65 million years old supposed fossil.

That's all "common knowledge".

I like what he said, though. That not of what science has offered can shake my faith. It makes us take a closer, harder look at the Bible to see what it's been trying to teach us. Possibly, thanks to the unwitting help of science, we understand it now better than ever.
Bongo

Miller Place, NY

#211414 Feb 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What's worse, lawyers or racists?
Who contributes more blight?

6 years for R.I. lawyer in fraud targeting terminally ill

By: Associated Press December 16, 2013

PROVIDENCE, R.I.— A federal judge sentenced a Rhode Island lawyer to six years in prison Monday for his role in a $46 million investment fraud that preyed on terminally ill people, calling him the architect of the scheme and saying he didn’t seem to recognize the harm he had caused.

Joseph Caramadre was sentenced in Providence after pleading guilty to wire fraud and conspiracy. His lawyers asked for two years in prison and two years in home confinement. Prosecutors sought 10 years.

Judge William E. Smith also ordered Caramadre to perform 3,000 hours of community service to help the elderly and terminally ill. He put off the question of restitution because Caramadre’s lawyer has objected to the amount.

Caramadre was a prominent lawyer and philanthropist. Prosecutors say he and former employee Raymour Radhakrishnan illegally got personal information from terminally ill people and used it to purchase bonds and annuities that would pay out when the person died.

The judge said Caramadre had obstructed the legal process and committed perjury.

“You seemed to apologize that they were hurt. You don’t seem to recognize that you were the one that hurt them,” Smith said at the sentencing, after Caramadre addressed the court.“You were the one who was the architect of the scheme and ultimately you are the one who’s responsible for the hurt and distress that’s been imposed upon those individuals.”

Radhakrishnan was also sentenced Monday to a year and a day in prison after pleading guilty to the same charges. Prosecutors had revised their sentencing recommendation to five years. Radhakrishnan’s lawyer, Olin Thompson, asked for just one day.

Radhakrishnan apologized to everyone he had wronged, including the families and companies. He said it was satisfying to give money to people — the way people got roped into the scheme — and acknowledged he made misrepresentations to people.

“My compassion led me to my shortfall,” Radhakrishnan told the judge.“I did cut corners.”

Smith repeatedly asked him what he was thinking and why he hadn’t asked someone outside the firm whether what he was doing was legal.

“You’re smart. You’re naive in a lot of ways, but you’re smart. I’m trying to figure out why that bell didn’t go off for you,” the judge said.

Radhakrishnan also was sentenced to six months of home confinement following his prison term.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#211415 Feb 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I've never felt peer pressure. It's a non-issue for me.
Until today. You just acknowledged as much.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#211416 Feb 6, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
The war on racism is over. It has been defeated.
Tell that to Carlos Mencia, Dave Chappelle, Pablo Francisco, Chris Rock, Jeff Dunham and Jeff Foxworthy...to name a few.

Fennario

#211417 Feb 6, 2014
River Tam wrote:
You're perpetuating a false analysis of female drivers. Statistically, women are better drivers than men. One might assume that when a male makes a joke about women and bad driving, he is either ignorant or he is asserting a premise of superiority. One might also assume that about a white person making jokes about people of African or Asian ancestry.
That wasn't the stereotype I expected you to comment on. Did you see the one about the violin? I realize that you're not Vietnamese, but I doubt he makes a distinction:

"How do you know when an Asian has been in your house? Your computer is updated, your math homework is done, there's a Vietnamese hooker in your bathtub with a violin up her ass, a dog in the microwave and the guy's still trying to figure out how to back out the driveway."

Fennario

#211418 Feb 6, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
when us secularists do become the majority, is that we will treat **them** in exactly the **same** way that *they* have treated *us* in the past.
Hey Bob! Welcome.

I have already promised them that nobody will be burned at the stake or put into the iron maiden.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#211419 Feb 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I'd hope that if I was brought up Humanist, I wouldn't be spending as much time on religion as you.
It's a labor of love.
You enjoy it?

That's hard to understand.
Bongo

Miller Place, NY

#211420 Feb 6, 2014
<quoted text>
Hey Bob! Welcome.
I have already promised them that nobody will be burned at the stake or put into the iron maiden.
Bucks stats indicate there is a 58% chance, worse will occur. I tend to believe that, your benevolence notwithstanding.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#211421 Feb 6, 2014
Thanks again for sharing the fruits of your faith based upbringing. You've show us a lot of character. Do you credit your church?
What church? I haven't been to church in well over ten years.

My character is based on my experiences, as all of ours are.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#211422 Feb 6, 2014
timn17 wrote:
You're "getting" catcher by making yourself look like a virulently racist jackass?
Lol

Ya, I caught on to that.

Shu'up I'm a slow learner.

Fennario

#211423 Feb 6, 2014
Rider on the Storm wrote:
How many Americans does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. Why do you hate freedom?

One. We stick the bulb in the socket the world to revolve around us.

Three: One to borrow a light bulb, one to borrow a ladder, and a supervisor to make sure they do it before the foreclosure.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#211424 Feb 6, 2014
timn17 wrote:
Ah, there's your problem. You think carlos mencia is a good comic.
Serious?

I guess that's just a matter of opinion. I think he's hilarious.

What comic do you find funny?
Also, rednecks aren't a race.
Neither are female drivers.

Fennario

#211425 Feb 6, 2014
Rider on the Storm wrote:
I think alot about that story.
Not everyone has had the breaks you've had. Not everyone has had the chance at an education like you have. It doesnt mean eff em..........
We live in a world where were bombarded with misinformation and were suppose to sort it out. When I take a political stand, I'm called the dumbest SOB on the planet by some, and others say 'Great post'. Whats a fella to do? Like you said before they have us right where they want us. While were arguing amongst ourselves they are throwing us to the dogs.
Personally I dont base what i think on idiologies. If an idea sounds right to me I dont care who presented it.
Getting back to your story. I have empathy for the guy. He's living in a world where he has little control. His voice was one small voice paired with and against many.
If my child died of a drug overdose I would have empathy for him. Better yet, lets take Phillip Hoffman. I have empathy for him even though he made a bad decision. Should I not care because he made a bad choice? It aint that easy for me.
Those are just some of my thoughts on your post. I have others but those jumped out first.
Thanks. Not bad.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#211426 Feb 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a strange view of Christianity.
No I don't. I have a view that is very direct and shows how what you believe is incomplete.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>What exactly do you mean by "so called Christians"?
Those individuals who don't know what a "Christian" is, but exclaim and claim they are.

There are no "Christians". Not one of the current so-called "Christians" believe in all of what Jesus taught, in order to abide by the "believe in me" scenario Jesus preached.

They only believe what men told them to believe. They should call themselves "Mentians".
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Are you referring to what I've called "Sunday Christians"?
No.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>People that basically live an atheist life except for Sunday mornings at church.
There are no Atheists or theists if honest was involved.

There are only Agnostics - because not one of us, actually knows the truth.

Atheists can claim they don't believe in a "God", but in truth, those Atheists have no proof of their claim.

Theists can claim they do believe in a "God", but in truth, those theists have no proof of their claim.

Results of both - Agnostic - they just don't know.

So again, you fail at understanding, because you prefer to read into whatever is written by another poster, and come to your own conclusion.

Odd.

In the least - you did ask questions.

Thanks for responding.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#211427 Feb 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup. That was my bad. You wrote 3rd C, I read 3rd BC.
Sorry.
Thank you. Your sincerity is noted and appreciated.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#211428 Feb 6, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Dude! RR wants the white sheet granted and you denied him, last vestige notwithstanding. Is it the love hate thing?
The Redneck's racism should be exposed.

And why should I put him out of his misery?

Ergo, no white sheet.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#211429 Feb 6, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
I don't know about insurance over there but here, women pay less for car insurance as we are indeed better drivers.
Haha!!!

You're not better drivers.

You have less accidents because you drive far less mileage than men do.

According to the FHWA, men drive on average 16,550 miles per year while women drive 10,142 per year.

That means men drive nearly 40% more miles than women. That's a 40% higher chance of "bad driving" to occur.

And according to this report to Congress, page 21, men cause only 8% more crashes than women.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811059.PDF

40% more driving.
8% more crashes.

Imagine if we drive equal amount of mileage?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 3 hr replaytime 711
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 hr SoE 76,871
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) 8 hr The FACTory 4,299
hell is a real place. so.. ahtiesm is a faux li... 17 hr Ben Avraham 11
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Jul 18 John 4,952
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Jul 18 John 32,164
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Jul 17 Eagle 12 - 6,123
More from around the web