Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258038 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#211153 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>I did?
Yeah you did, you also posted it to me, thus igniting the inception of The Atheist Lack of Indoctrination School.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#211154 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
My honest opinion is that the Bible was inspired by God.
Not written, inspired.
2 Timothy 3:16 agrees with me.
"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness"
I take the "All Scripture" part and assume it means all Scripture.
That's just me.
Well, that takes care of Hebrew scripture. Since there was no "New Testament" at the time of that writing, that makes it all just a collection of letters bundled together with Hebrew scripture, and basking in it's glow, right?

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#211156 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
That kind of slavery the Bible prohibits.
“Anyone who kidnaps another and either sells him or still has him when he is caught must be put to death”
-Exodus 21:16.
<quoted text>
There is no Scripture contradictory to Exodus 21:16.
A few issues:

For one, Exodous 21:16 sounds more like a prohibition against kidnapping and human trafficking resulting from kidnapping, not slavery per se. The context seems to support this reading, as the surrounding verses are simply random commandments, and don't deal with slavery. So, perhaps there are no verses that support kidnapping for the purposes of sale (even though the bible does allow for the taking of slaves as spoils of war, which is functionally the same thing), but this verse isn't really relevant to the issue of slavery itself.

Second, the bible most certainly does condone slavery - it outlines various rules for the keeping of slaves. It allows fathers to sell their daughters and sons into slavery, and it puts no time limit on the keeping of female slaves as it does with male slaves (hebrew only). The bible specifically says that believers may treat foreign slaves like property. The only prohibitions are various technicalities - never an outright ban. Even fellow hebrews are fair game, they are just subject to slightly better treatment.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#211157 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
To learn a foreign language.
Why do they teach French in school? What practical purpose would that serve? Why aren't you complaining about that?
Why do schools teach kids how to limbo?
Why do they teach how to write in cursive?
How to play foursquare?
To color in the lines?
Latin?
The US presidents in order?
How to dissect a frog?
Why do they teach how to put a condom on a phallic fruit?!
There's so many other stupid things that public schools teach, but you remain fixated in some if them teaching Hebrew.
Imagine that.
French has applications. Spanish has applications.

Hebrew? Virtually none.

If they are going to teach a language (and I do think teaching a language to be a good thing) they shouldn't be teaching a dead (or almost dead) language.

Other than reading ancient religious texts or reading Isreali newspapers, can you think of any need to read Hebrew?

Jeez, you are one hard-headed, impervious to logic SO...

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#211158 Feb 5, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Well, that takes care of Hebrew scripture. Since there was no "New Testament" at the time of that writing, that makes it all just a collection of letters bundled together with Hebrew scripture, and basking in it's glow, right?
Um.....

2 Timothy is in the New Testament.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#211160 Feb 5, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>A few issues:
For one, Exodous 21:16 sounds more like a prohibition against kidnapping and human trafficking resulting from kidnapping, not slavery per se. The context seems to support this reading, as the surrounding verses are simply random commandments, and don't deal with slavery. So, perhaps there are no verses that support kidnapping for the purposes of sale (even though the bible does allow for the taking of slaves as spoils of war, which is functionally the same thing), but this verse isn't really relevant to the issue of slavery itself.
Second, the bible most certainly does condone slavery - it outlines various rules for the keeping of slaves. It allows fathers to sell their daughters and sons into slavery, and it puts no time limit on the keeping of female slaves as it does with male slaves (hebrew only). The bible specifically says that believers may treat foreign slaves like property. The only prohibitions are various technicalities - never an outright ban. Even fellow hebrews are fair game, they are just subject to slightly better treatment.
Say what you will.

I know you went to the googlers about it.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#211161 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
“Anyone who kidnaps another and either sells him or still has him when he is caught must be put to death”
<quoted text>
Lots of leeway in that verse.

Loopholes; The Bible is full of them.

“The future begins”

every moment

#211162 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet another verse taken out of context to make a dubious point.

The Mosaic Law you cited dealt with the disposition of a Jew by another Jew. This is confirmed by a repetition clarifying the mizvot at Deuteronomy 24:7 - "If someone is caught kidnapping a fellow Israelite and treating or selling them as a slave, the kidnapper must die. You must purge the evil from among you."

As for Gentiles (which itself was a derogatory term) they were fair game, and in fact the Israelites were allowed at certain points in the conquest to take slaves. "Gentile" is a Latin transliteration of a Hebrew word that could mean "non-Jew", but is also used to describe a swarm of insects or animals.
ROCCO

Indio, CA

#211163 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
There you go again. You want to make your point at saying learning Jewish is pointless then rant and say that horseshoeing is a "pretty useless skill".
Yer a butthole.
A "handful" of horseshoers eh?
There are over 9 million horses in America.
There are over 4-1/2 million Americans that are involved in the industry. They are horse owners, service providers, employees and volunteers.
Then you add in the tens of millions more that are just spectators.
I have a feeling that there's more horseshoers in America than atheists.
Farriers: 25,000+ in US (using the statistics for the U.S. as an example, of the 700,000 who are employed in the horse industry, farriers represent 3.5 percent of the total population).

Read more at http://www.thefarrierguide.com/employment-gui...

Atheists: Currently, about six percent of the U.S. public calls itself atheist or agnostic. An additional 14 percent (44,000,000 m/l) simply claims to have no religious affiliation.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2012/10/09/pe...

United States population on July 4, 2013 was: 316,148,990 http://www.census.gov/popclock/

6%= 19,000,000 m/l atheists

Without even including the additional 14% cited, seems your figure is off by not less than about 18,975,000 m/l.

Seems like there's no topic on which you don't pull facts OR figures out of your ass. Sorry, don't mean to hurt your feeeeeeeeelings.

Oh crap, I won't lie. Yes I do.

But I <<<<would> >>> enjoy seeing you evidence a greater attempt at truthfulness in all realms, even though it would mean you with have to dispense with your circular reasoning, doubletalk, and spew-back.

#211164 Feb 5, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
The North American history is being re-written by numerous recent discoveries:
http://www.history.com/shows/america-unearthe...
If this is a small example - it is also very indicative that these "humans" who did the events in antiquity, would be sufficient enough to show you that with these discoveries, not only North America's discovery fact is challenged, it also directly affects the human history of those cultures.
*burp*
Just to point out, Scott Wolter is pretty much on the fringe, or even beyond it.

His is the type of show that has alienated any serious academic from the History Channel.

These "discoveries" of his are little more than wishful thinking.

#211165 Feb 5, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
My horse wears Louis Vuitton. She's quite the Diva.
Good for her.

My dog likes Adidas. She eats a pair about once a year.

“The future begins”

every moment

#211166 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Um.....
2 Timothy is in the New Testament.
um...

there was no "New Testament" at the time the letter was written, and there wouldn't be for a couple more centuries. So it was proto-Cathloics several hundred years later who declared it "scripture". The author himself could only have been referring to Hebrew scripture.

#211167 Feb 5, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>You've probably seen it, but here's a good one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =HhGuXCuDb1UXX
Love Minchin. Storm was the first of his works that I heard.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#211168 Feb 5, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
French has applications. Spanish has applications.
Not to American school children.

At best, they'll learn some history or culture.

They'll forget the language if they don't use it.

If you don't use it, you lose it.
Hebrew? Virtually none.
Tell that to the ten million people that speak Hebrew.
If they are going to teach a language (and I do think teaching a language to be a good thing) they shouldn't be teaching a dead (or almost dead) language.
They teach Latin.

Latin.

They teach Egyptian hieroglyphic language.

Complain about that.
Other than reading ancient religious texts or reading Isreali newspapers, can you think of any need to read Hebrew?
To learn culture, history.
Jeez, you are one hard-headed, impervious to logic SO...
Me?!

You're stuck on Hebrew only because it's the language of the Bible.

You're not very tolerant.

#211169 Feb 5, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Think?
I see little if any thinking from the Redneck.
He just parrots out his Redneck dogma and his google finds.
His latest stupidity on the Lemon case is typical.
What utter ignorance.
Yeah.

He said something like...the government is barred from promoting religion, but government agencies aren't barred.

About as stupid as some of the things Buck says.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#211170 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
My honest opinion is that the Bible was inspired by God.
Not written, inspired.
2 Timothy 3:16 agrees with me.
"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness"
I take the "All Scripture" part and assume it means all Scripture.
That's just me.
a. "God" inspires everyone - so "He" could be inspiring someone right now - thus - "He" may have more to say.

b. Fallible men make errors.

c. 2 Tim is a not from "Paul" and is a 3rd C. "inspired" text - not relevant to what Jesus spoke about.

d. Your scripture is limited to texts selected by men.

Where does "God" come in again?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#211171 Feb 5, 2014
ROCCO wrote:
<quoted text>
Farriers: 25,000+ in US (using the statistics for the U.S. as an example, of the 700,000 who are employed in the horse industry, farriers represent 3.5 percent of the total population).
Read more at http://www.thefarrierguide.com/employment-gui...
Atheists: Currently, about six percent of the U.S. public calls itself atheist or agnostic. An additional 14 percent (44,000,000 m/l) simply claims to have no religious affiliation.
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2012/10/09/pe...
United States population on July 4, 2013 was: 316,148,990 http://www.census.gov/popclock/
6%= 19,000,000 m/l atheists
Without even including the additional 14% cited, seems your figure is off by not less than about 18,975,000 m/l.
Seems like there's no topic on which you don't pull facts OR figures out of your ass. Sorry, don't mean to hurt your feeeeeeeeelings.
Oh crap, I won't lie. Yes I do.
But I <<<<would> >>> enjoy seeing you evidence a greater attempt at truthfulness in all realms, even though it would mean you with have to dispense with your circular reasoning, doubletalk, and spew-back.
LMAO!!

He checked....

He really spent the time to see if there's more horseshoers than atheists......

o.O

Your stat is screwy.

"Currently, about six percent of the U.S. public calls itself atheist or agnostic"

You can't combine the two. One is either atheist or agnostic, to combine the two represents a false "6%" answer.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#211172 Feb 5, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:

a. "God" inspires everyone - so "He" could be inspiring someone right now - thus - "He" may have more to say.
b. Fallible men make errors.
c. 2 Tim is a not from "Paul" and is a 3rd C. "inspired" text - not relevant to what Jesus spoke about.
d. Your scripture is limited to texts selected by men.
Where does "God" come in again?
I doubt any of the Topix Atheists! would agree with you on line a.......

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#211173 Feb 5, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>um...
there was no "New Testament" at the time the letter was written, and there wouldn't be for a couple more centuries. So it was proto-Cathloics several hundred years later who declared it "scripture". The author himself could only have been referring to Hebrew scripture.
2 Timothy wasn't written centuries before Jesus.

It was written after His crucifixion.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#211174 Feb 5, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah.
He said something like...the government is barred from promoting religion, but government agencies aren't barred.
About as stupid as some of the things Buck says.
No.

Government employees aren't barred.

They're as free to express their religion as non-government employees.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr scientia potentia... 48,358
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 15 hr Eagle 12 21,858
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 22 hr Mikko 4,905
Why you need to make sure you are saved before ... Wed Eagle 12 13
Jesus Christ and Wisdom, Knowledge, Understandi... Tue Richardfs 5
News Delta Schools Will Get Satanic Coloring Books o... (Apr '16) Nov 29 Amused 7
News Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns (Sep '14) Nov 28 hpcaban 441
More from around the web