Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258484 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#211136 Feb 5, 2014
scaritual wrote:
And you use that name.
It's called a joke, scar scar.

A story with a humorous climax.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#211137 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, seriously?
How many times must I answer that same question?
As soon as I can verify the data you provide is true. You've yet to do that.

Deciding to not answer again?

One day I will find the correct answer - as I am 99.9 % sure that their isn't any declaration by "God", thus concluding that religion is man-made, and not of any god.

You fail to believe this, because you think "God" only inspires a handful of people, and doesn't speak to ANYONE anymore, thus those words spoken by someone "inspired" is carefully selected and decided upon by other men - never including "God" at all.

This is your life RR. Be honest about it or continue to lie to me and others and carry that "demon" forever.

OR you can be honest and admit it is true.

Damn those personal choices, huh?

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#211138 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Here's the 1971 Lemon ruling:
"For a law to be considered constitutional under the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment, the law must have a legitimate secular purpose, must not have the primary effect of either advancing or inhibiting religion, and also must not result in an excessive entanglement of government and religion."
It's talking about a law, not a school teacher.
The law "must not result in an excessive entanglement of...."
It says nothing of government agencies or government employees.
You hate SCOTUS, don't you?
<quoted text>
You're the one that said:
"1971 Lemon case in which SCOTUS said that government (all government, including public school teachers) can not become "excessively entangled" with religion."
You are absolutely wrong. The Lemon case was NOT about government or public school teachers, it was about new laws that may come about and how those new laws must adhere to the Establishment Clause.
You specifically correlated school teachers with SCOTIS' ruling in the Lemon case. You're an idiot.
.. it would be nice if everyone was able to have their own way. Unfortunately, life doesn't work that way ..

.. teachers must adhere to certain policies if they want to keep their jobs. It's that simple ..

.. neither religion or atheist can be promoted in public schools. Equality ..

“LOL Really?”

Location hidden

#211139 Feb 5, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
So every person that works with horses shoes horse? And people that watch horse races shoe horses?
I don't think so.
Knowing how to shoe horses is important if you are one of the few that actually show horses. Knowing how to shoe horses is unimportant to the rest of us.
My horse wears Louis Vuitton. She's quite the Diva.

With Established Harem

#211140 Feb 5, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
My horse wears Louis Vuitton. She's quite the Diva.
.. introduce your Diva to silk scarves and your ride will be better. Blinders, you know ..

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#211141 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
In Biblical times, slavery was a status more than anything. People would volunteer to be someone's slave to pay off a debt or stave off starvation. Back then, you had people of all sorts that were slaves.
It wasn't about skin color like we've seen slavery the past few centuries.
That kind of slavery the Bible prohibits.
“Anyone who kidnaps another and either sells him or still has him when he is caught must be put to death”
-Exodus 21:16.
I do wonder if I could find a contradictory verse. How does one decide?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#211142 Feb 5, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:

.. it would be nice if everyone was able to have their own way. Unfortunately, life doesn't work that way ..
Agreed.
.. teachers must adhere to certain policies if they want to keep their jobs. It's that simple ..
That policy surely isn't based on the Establishment Clause.
Why not? Every Christian and every atheist in America has every right to voice their opinion and have their voice heard.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#211143 Feb 5, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
Ar Ar's brain doesn't work like other brains.

He informed me once that since I didn't teach my son about "god"<(the Christian one, no doubt), I was indoctrinating him to be an atheist.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#211144 Feb 5, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:

.. introduce your Diva to silk scarves and your ride will be better. Blinders, you know ..
A Major blindfold?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#211145 Feb 5, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
As soon as I can verify the data you provide is true. You've yet to do that.
Deciding to not answer again?
One day I will find the correct answer - as I am 99.9 % sure that their isn't any declaration by "God", thus concluding that religion is man-made, and not of any god.
You fail to believe this, because you think "God" only inspires a handful of people, and doesn't speak to ANYONE anymore, thus those words spoken by someone "inspired" is carefully selected and decided upon by other men - never including "God" at all.
This is your life RR. Be honest about it or continue to lie to me and others and carry that "demon" forever.
OR you can be honest and admit it is true.
Damn those personal choices, huh?
My honest opinion is that the Bible was inspired by God.

Not written, inspired.

2 Timothy 3:16 agrees with me.
"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness"

I take the "All Scripture" part and assume it means all Scripture.

That's just me.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#211146 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
“Anyone who kidnaps another and either sells him or still has him when he is caught must be put to death”
timn17 wrote:
I do wonder if I could find a contradictory verse. How does one decide?
There is no Scripture contradictory to Exodus 21:16.

Location hidden

#211147 Feb 5, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Another cool geeky song...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =zGM-wSKFBpoXX
You've probably seen it, but here's a good one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#211148 Feb 5, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
He informed me once that since I didn't teach my son about "god"<(the Christian one, no doubt), I was indoctrinating him to be an atheist.
I did?

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#211149 Feb 5, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
:o)
.....until their "New WOrld Order" comes to fruition and destruction to all "Armageddon" is upon the world.
Yep - "onward Christian soldiers".
Why would anyone want this or even think like these people?
Think?

I see little if any thinking from the Redneck.

He just parrots out his Redneck dogma and his google finds.

His latest stupidity on the Lemon case is typical.

What utter ignorance.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#211150 Feb 5, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I did?
You did.

With Established Harem

#211152 Feb 5, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
.. I've noticed. Nicotine withdrawal ??..

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#211153 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>I did?
Yeah you did, you also posted it to me, thus igniting the inception of The Atheist Lack of Indoctrination School.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#211154 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
My honest opinion is that the Bible was inspired by God.
Not written, inspired.
2 Timothy 3:16 agrees with me.
"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness"
I take the "All Scripture" part and assume it means all Scripture.
That's just me.
Well, that takes care of Hebrew scripture. Since there was no "New Testament" at the time of that writing, that makes it all just a collection of letters bundled together with Hebrew scripture, and basking in it's glow, right?

Location hidden

#211156 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no Scripture contradictory to Exodus 21:16.
A few issues:

For one, Exodous 21:16 sounds more like a prohibition against kidnapping and human trafficking resulting from kidnapping, not slavery per se. The context seems to support this reading, as the surrounding verses are simply random commandments, and don't deal with slavery. So, perhaps there are no verses that support kidnapping for the purposes of sale (even though the bible does allow for the taking of slaves as spoils of war, which is functionally the same thing), but this verse isn't really relevant to the issue of slavery itself.

Second, the bible most certainly does condone slavery - it outlines various rules for the keeping of slaves. It allows fathers to sell their daughters and sons into slavery, and it puts no time limit on the keeping of female slaves as it does with male slaves (hebrew only). The bible specifically says that believers may treat foreign slaves like property. The only prohibitions are various technicalities - never an outright ban. Even fellow hebrews are fair game, they are just subject to slightly better treatment.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#211157 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
To learn a foreign language.
Why do they teach French in school? What practical purpose would that serve? Why aren't you complaining about that?
Why do schools teach kids how to limbo?
Why do they teach how to write in cursive?
How to play foursquare?
To color in the lines?
Latin?
The US presidents in order?
How to dissect a frog?
Why do they teach how to put a condom on a phallic fruit?!
There's so many other stupid things that public schools teach, but you remain fixated in some if them teaching Hebrew.
Imagine that.
French has applications. Spanish has applications.

Hebrew? Virtually none.

If they are going to teach a language (and I do think teaching a language to be a good thing) they shouldn't be teaching a dead (or almost dead) language.

Other than reading ancient religious texts or reading Isreali newspapers, can you think of any need to read Hebrew?

Jeez, you are one hard-headed, impervious to logic SO...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) 7 min Superwilly 35
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Endofdays 79,758
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 hr Science 32,576
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) Sep 16 blacklagoon 3 91
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Sep 15 xfrodobagginsx 101
News Atheist billboards to mock Romney, Obama faith (Aug '12) Sep 15 superwilly 47
what science will NEVER be able to prove Sep 15 Me _ Myself _ I 8
More from around the web