Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258476 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#211033 Feb 5, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
It is impossible for a school teacher to comply or fail to comply with the Establishment Clause.
And "the people" have never said such a thing.
Sorry Buck.

SCOTUS says you are wrong.

You can rant all you want about how much you hate the Constitution, but under the Constitution their opinion trumps yours.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#211034 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You speak of double standards after pulling one on this very post?
You're defense is that not all convicted rapists or murderers are actually guilty.
You them go on to say that you'd stick em on an island so they can kill each other off.
Huh.
Even the innocent ones?!
...and then I went on to say - I could care less.

I don't have evil in my life - so evil is pretty much dead to me already.

BTW - I can state any opinion I care too. It appears that you have a problem with my opinion.

Maybe you should just leave it be, and not dwell on my opinion, but formulate one of your own.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#211035 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
No one needs to follow your rules, thankfully.
There's nothing wrong with a public school having a play about Jesus for the holiday that celebrates His birth.
There's plenty wrong with that.

It is not a great literary work, nor does it have any educational value. Public resources should not be used to promote religious beliefs.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#211036 Feb 5, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep! Just like his fellow funny-mentalist Scott Lively.
Oh, I agree.

I could come up with a list of people I believe promote hate crimes, but hide under teh guise of religion - namely Christianity.

Lively is but just one.

WBC associates are another.

Robertson is another. His "God hates Haiti" comment is a clear indicator that this person is not sane, promotes destruction, and fosters hate.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#211037 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Those laws aren't Christian laws.
Thanks for your help.
You remind me of an old mud hole, one day you're empty and dry, then a little bad weather comes along, you're full of it.

You didn't ask for "laws".

This is what you said.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The Bible does not condone a Christian to own a slave.
Period.
Prove me wrong, Biblically.
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

I showed, in detail, where it condoned slavery, and further, showed how it condoned slavery in the New Testament, too. But I forgot this small detail; Christians really don't follow what their bible says, they follow what they think their bible says or ignore what it says. It depends on the situation.

You're about as disingenuous as they come. Double faced, double tongued and duplicitous.

#211038 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The Establishment Clause is quote clear. It states that Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.
It doesn't say a school teacher can't.
School teachers aren't Congress.
Are you gonna fight to stop all Christian related holidays from being expressed at our schools or is your ignorant focus just on Christmas?
<quoted text>
How did I ignore them? I quoted them directly: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion."
That applies to Congress.
What applies to the people is that Congress cannot "prohibit the free exercise thereof".
If Congress can't prohibit it, what makes you think a local school board can?
As so many of you theists do, you are removing that quote from its context. That context includes the 1971 Lemon case in which SCOTUS said that government (all government, including public school teachers) can not become "excessively entangled" with religion.

As pointed out, you really, Really, REALLY don't want your interpretation of the Constitution to be applied...because there will almost certainly be a situation in which your little sect would be stomped on by some government agency other than Congress.

Extending the ban on Congress to all governmental agencies maintains religious freedom. Without that extension, religious freedom is a myth.

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#211039 Feb 5, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Is that why there are so many social problems? Parents cant order their kids because the kid will rebel? Meanwhile, they spend all their time and money to support the little slave? Make your bed, brush your teeth, take out the garbage, mow the lawn, no smoking, no cursing, no fornication etc etc. Big meanie parents. Our nation is screwed because of lack of proper parenting or as you would say, slave treatment.
Well, you could always follow the wonderful Biblical example - have the kids stoned to death for cursing you.

#211040 Feb 5, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
You remind me of an old mud hole, one day you're empty and dry, then a little bad weather comes along, you're full of it.
This is what you said.
<quoted text>
I showed, in detail, where it condoned slavery, and further, showed how it condoned slavery in the New Testament, too. But I forgot this small detail; Christians really don't follow what their bible says, they follow what they think their bible says or ignore what it says. It depends on the situation.
You're about as disingenuous as they come. Double faced, double tongued and duplicitous.
There's a term for that...Cafeteria Christians.

Which is pretty much all of them.

Location hidden

#211041 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
And?
Do you even have a use as to what slavery was back then?
Do you know that there were many slaves that volunteered for it?
Back then, it wasn't the forced slavery that we've seen in the past few centuries.
Look at what a Christian is forced to argue in defense of Christianity.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#211042 Feb 5, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Says the guy who:
Calls black kids monkeys.
Says black people are criminal minded.
Admits he's a racist.
Says segregation was a good thing, because it kept "us" safe.
Smashes a windshield with a club with the driver in the car.
Uses corporal punishment on a six-month-old baby.
Hits women.
Notifies the public when he has anal sex with his wife.
And you want ME to grow up?
Dude!!!
Wow.

With a record like that and you STILL haven't white sheeted me?!

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#211043 Feb 5, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
Not this guy.
I'm going to stay all over you like a cheap suit.
Call you out for the pig that you are.
Here, you'll understand better in Redneckese: Deal with it.
ugh.......

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#211044 Feb 5, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
Christians have been trying to wipe out the opposition from Moses till now. Now that there are people standing up and telling the truth, suddenly it is the "poor Christian" being persecuted. Maybe we should treat you the way you did people during the Inquisition? How would you like that kind of persecution instead of just trying to keep you out of government policy making and our schools?
I'm pretty certain they would not like to be treated as their church has treated others. The Golden Rule is turns out to be a humanist value, not a Christian one. When does the church ever treat gays or atheists as it would like to be treated?

Fennario

#211045 Feb 5, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
Did you succeed in trashing the opposition?
We did prevail.

Location hidden

#211046 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
That's right. Take away my right to vote because you disagree with me.
Are you so accustomed to creative interpretation that you're applying it to everything now?

Fennario

#211047 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Onward, Topix Atheist! warrior
Have you looked at your avatar lately, or read its caption? D'oh!

Fennario

#211048 Feb 5, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
Another cool geeky song...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =zGM-wSKFBpoXX
Ouch. Gilbert and Sullivan, no?

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#211049 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Except for the 89 atheist rulers of the 28 historical regimes in the past century that have killed an estimated 148 million people, that is.....
Nobody has ever killed for atheism.

Glad I could help.

Fennario

#211050 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I'm one of them. I don't have health insurance any more. If got way too expensive.
And I'm guessing that you object to a public option.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#211051 Feb 5, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>You remind me of an old mud hole, one day you're empty and dry, then a little bad weather comes along, you're full of it.

This is what you said.

RiversideRedneck wrote, "The Bible does not condone a Christian to own a slave.
Period.
Prove me wrong, Biblically."

Agreed, 100%

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#211052 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Wow.

With a record like that and you STILL haven't white sheeted me?!
Don't you already have a white sheet and one of those pointy mask things?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr Regolith Based Li... 32,169
hell is a real place. so.. ahtiesm is a faux li... 5 hr Eagle 12 - 12
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 5 hr Eagle 12 - 760
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 hr Science 76,945
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) 10 hr Dogen 4,309
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Jul 18 John 4,952
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Jul 17 Eagle 12 - 6,123
More from around the web