Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258476 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#210952 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
My insurance went up to what would equal 25% of my income. I don't care how much a person makes, 25% is a big hit.
Also, I don't qualify for Obamacare, I make above their "income threshold".
Obamacare says I can afford my own insurance....
The whole law is a mucked up fess that drove prices up dramitically for everyone.

They make the rebates sound better then they are also. Its hard to qualify for them and if you do get one they take your choices away and tell you what insurance your going to get. The insurance you get is the one with the highest deductible. How does that help anyone but the insurance company?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#210953 Feb 5, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
I assume that you are referring to his and De Blasio's sentiments about extreme conservatives not being welcome in New York. What shocks you about that? I understand why you don't like it, but why are you shocked that he said that people are becoming fed up with "extreme pro-life, anti-gay, pro-assault weapons conservatives"? Because people like mayors and governors have been reluctant to be so outspoken against conservatives in the past? Such people are extreme, ridiculous, and dangerous - just like the Texans with their textbooks. The times they are a-changing. We may be reaching a tipping point. It's about time.
Buck Crick wrote:
I believe it was Gov. Cuomo who made the statements. The invidiousness of his statement is that he defamed people, not just a particular policy view. People who are pro-life, pro-second amendment, and opposed to same-sex marriage,(omitting the governor's straw-man exaggeration of the terms) make up over half the nation's population. If Cuomo has arguments that diminish the credibility of such people, he should use them, rather than use fallacious and elitist rhetoric to diminish them as human beings.
Further, with tax and regulatory policy in NY being what it is, there is no need for finding new reasons to keep people out, or encourage them to flee.
I for one am glad to see such a response.

If the governor has gone too far, and people feel more like you than me, it will hurt him politically. Contrariwise, if his message resonates with enough people, the feedback will embolden him and others to continue in the same vein.

We saw this with Paula Deen and Duckman. In one case, the reaction resonated with people. In the other, the source was forced to recant.

Let's wait and see how this one plays out.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#210954 Feb 5, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
On the face of it, teaching Hebrew isn't wrong. However, it IS almost totally irrelevant in today's world.
It has about even less relevance than teach them to shoe horses. Very few people are going to end up using such knowledge. The time would be much better used teaching things that ARE useful...like basic science and math.
.. language is part of one's cultural heritage ..

.. during the days of Soviet rule, Russian became the official language of many Baltic States, Native tongues were suppressed and prosecuted on a criminal level. They went underground, survived. The same applies to aboriginals, the Dine still speak Navajo ..

.. are ancient languages useful? During WW II, Navajo certainly was. Perhaps it's about honoring ancestors ??..

Fennario

#210955 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The Bible does not condone a Christian to own a slave. Period. Prove me wrong, Biblically.
Your claim has been successfully rebutted. Period. Nobody is waiting for you to assent.

Move on.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#210956 Feb 5, 2014
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
A little over 2 thousand years ago Jesus said it was finished. And we aint seen hide nor hair of him since..........
Sure dont feel like its finished..........
When Jesus said "It is finished", He was talking about the debt of sin, the debt owed to God was wiped away completely and forever.

Fennario

#210957 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Then IANS has some persecution coming.... "This is the kind of thing that makes my blood boil, and intensifies my resolve to see that church weakened." "It's too serious to be polite about" "The church is what it is: a selfish and destructive force that needs to be opposed and weakened." "That will come about quickest with the use of forceful, urgent, and indignant language" "It's more than a right. It's a duty." Then he quoted Hitchens: "I think religion should be treated with ridicule, hatred and contempt, and I claim that right."

What a compassionate, loving, tolerant, friendly Topix Atheist Secular Humanist! huh?
Yes I am. Once again, your assent is not required.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210958 Feb 5, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
These days, very few.
Some years ago, Israeli archeologists went hunting for evidence of Moses and the 40 years in the desert. They came up completely empty. They were quite shocked.
That is just one piece of evidence that Moses never existed. There is a lot more.
Moses was kinda like Paul Bunyun...a Jewish folk hero that never actually existed.
The ONLY source for Moses is the Bible.
Over the last several decades, archeologist have come to the conclusion that the Bible is pretty much worthless as an historical guide.
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
Over the last several decades, archeologist have come to the conclusion that the Bible is pretty much worthless as an historical guide.
Just one archaeologist?

Ya, I'll buy that.

Fennario

#210959 Feb 5, 2014
Bongo wrote:
Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you. Its all been on the record a long time ago.... Blessed ...those who are persecuted for RIGHTEOUSNES' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven been on the record, a long time..........Im not sure how Jesus behaved when he went to hang with the harlots homos thieves tax collectors etc, but they seemed to welcome, not attack him. Christian people should adhere better to the teaching . Those who dissent , are free to do so at their own risk.
OK.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#210960 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No one needs to follow your rules, thankfully.
There's nothing wrong with a public school having a play about Jesus for the holiday that celebrates His birth.
There is nothing wrong with students, on their own, putting together a play about Jesus.

There is something definitely wrong about teachers putting together a play about Jesus. It's an Establishment thing. You have agents of the government promoting a religion.

Why can't you do your Jesus plays in your church? Why do you feel the need to inflict the rest of us with your religiosity? Do you see atheists putting on plays in public school proclaiming "There is no God"? Didn't think so.

http://quotes-lover.com/wp-content/uploads/If...

#210961 Feb 5, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Who says God wants to eliminate evil?
Did God tell you that?
Well, we know YOU don't want to eliminate evil.

#210962 Feb 5, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Face it, Christmas has become a secular holiday.
No, I don't oppose Christmas parties in school, or Christmas-y plays...as long as the message is non-religious. Stick to themes like...peace on earth...time of giving...help your fellow man...and keep the God stuff out of it.
I agree,

I dot remember any part of that party being about christianity or christs birth.

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#210963 Feb 5, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text>Immpossible. Anyone not "in Christ" will be judged by that book. Im pretty sure that means you .
And about 5 billion other people.

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#210964 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Go ahead, you have that right.

Me? No, I'll continue to cherish the old book.
Like you've ever read it, or ever intend to.

#210965 Feb 5, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Who says God wants to eliminate evil?
Did God tell you that?
BTW...wasn't the whole moral of the Flood story, as well as Sodom and Gomorrah, that God was destroying evil?

Seems the Bible is telling us that is what God wants. And it tells us all sorts of things God considers evil.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210966 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The Bible does not condone a Christian to own a slave. Period. Prove me wrong, Biblically.
Your claim has been successfully rebutted. Period. Nobody is waiting for you to assent.
Move on.
It has never been successfully rebutted. All y'all have done is quote mine laws that are irrelevant to Christianity.

But I understand your desire to ignore that.

It might undermine your house of cards hatred for Christians.

Moving on....

Fennario

#210967 Feb 5, 2014
Plus, you can't really call what the church receives now persecution. Once you've persecuted others, it's just self-preservation.
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. there it is folks !!.. atheists, women, homosexuals and other groups are simply mounting a defense against the claims of Abrahamic religions.'Vile, sinful abominations' will no longer accept the unwarranted derogatory labels hatched by churches, temples and mosques that encourage separation, fear and shame .. thanks AINS !!..
My pleasure. It's absurd for the church to be crying "persecution" now that its victims are just able to mount a response. If it didn't invent the practice, they certainly perfected it:

"It seems religion can dish it out okay but it can’t take it - like a street thug who calls the police when his victims fight back" - Pat Condell

#210968 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
When Jesus said "It is finished", He was talking about the debt of sin, the debt owed to God was wiped away completely and forever.
And he had already created hell for Satan and his minions, but here we are 2000 + years later, no word from God, and Satan running around tempting and luring people away from God.

If the debt was paid, why let it continue? Why not just end it? and start the new era or the new covenant, Why continue to let people suffer from sin. Why continue to let Satan draw people away from God?

Dont make sense does it?

“I see quantum effects”

Location hidden

#210969 Feb 5, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Topix atheists regularly treat me with disdain.

So you expect they will be presecuted? When?
Our persecution is just now coming to its end.

Fennario

#210970 Feb 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
A slave is a person that's legal property of another person.
You and the god of your bible both condone that understanding. Most of the rest of us consider the idea of another human being being property repugnant.

Keep arguing for it. You're having an effect.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210971 Feb 5, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:

There is nothing wrong with students, on their own, putting together a play about Jesus.
There is something definitely wrong about teachers putting together a play about Jesus. It's an Establishment thing. You have agents of the government promoting a religion.
Why can't you do your Jesus plays in your church? Why do you feel the need to inflict the rest of us with your religiosity? Do you see atheists putting on plays in public school proclaiming "There is no God"? Didn't think so.
http://quotes-lover.com/wp-content/uploads/If...
The Establishment Clause is quote clear. It states that Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.

It doesn't say a school teacher can't.

School teachers aren't Congress.

Are you gonna fight to stop all Christian related holidays from being expressed at our schools or is your ignorant focus just on Christmas?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Samuel Patre 87,363
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) Feb 17 superwilly 5,811
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Feb 14 ChristineM 4,032
Christianity almost did not happen Feb 12 Quatsch22 1
News Egypt's parliament takes serious actions to com... Feb 12 dollarsbillmom 19
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Feb 10 superwilly 5,154
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Feb 9 Eagle 12 - 257
More from around the web