Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 245264 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

HipGnozizzz

Altona, IL

#210807 Feb 4, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> Yep, I said that.
<quoted text> Yep, I said that.
<quoted text> Nope. I didn't say that.
Those "other words" are not my words. They're your words.
I said "all Abrahamic faiths accepted the flood, the seven day creation etc..., as definitely real. Christians, too."
Can you identify what the word is that makes a difference?
<quoted text> Yep, that's true too. But I wasn't speaking about individuals that may have had variances with the doctrines.
Individuals that followed the - faiths - doubted the biblical story as representing any sort of actual reality, but the faiths - proper - adhered to the strict biblical story.
Some faiths still do take the biblical account as literal.
Others don't.
Within that literal category, there are individuals that do not believe it to be literal, but still are members of the faith(denominations/doctrine etc...).
This is what quickly becomes boring with these types, when one has to spill never-ending font in unraveling the twisted knot this triumph of tedium consider to be "discussion". Of course, at any point if you decline to continue to play his straight man, he pounds his chest in victory. Sad.

All the lonely people,
where do they all come from.....

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#210809 Feb 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Which Pat Robertson?
You sound just like that retard from Riverside.

GFY

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#210810 Feb 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>I sit in comfort knowing that they're wrong and I'm right.
The danger is not in ignorance.

It is in the illusion of knowledge.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#210811 Feb 4, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>Do you know the word "merkin"? It's a pubic toupee.
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definiti...
Roflmao!!!

Yep. RR is 'merkin alright.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#210812 Feb 4, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>This thread would move a lot faster if you relics would stop alluding to crap I have to google to know wtf yer yapping about.
You and buck just make it out of the bedroom?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#210813 Feb 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>It's not just that you want to make Christianity look evil.

You're obsessed with it.
Christianity is not evil.

The way people practice it is.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#210814 Feb 4, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I see your reading comprehension hasn't improved.
Nowhere did I say that Christians had higher or lower IQs.
What has been happening is that overly religious school board members have been loading the textbook committees with religious ideologues that knew little to nothing about the subject they were selecting textbooks for. This was particularly true in the areas of science and history.
Bradley seemed to be complaining that not allowing Christians 100% control was discriminating against Christians.
It is the watering down of textbooks with religious and political ideology that has been harming Texas students.
*This* coming from a man who called his own mother "one of worst godbots ever" and not long after her death too. You are suggesting she had no mind of her own to think with which is the same as calling her dumb. You call Christians dumb all the time, liar.

There are no textbooks offered to the public schools in Texas that have any religious content in them. The same goes for all the other state's public schools.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#210815 Feb 4, 2014
<quoted text>
The first entry:
"Recent Accomplishments - National Champions—Again. West Texas A&M had three of the top four individual contestants—including the individual champion and reserve champion—en route to a convincing seventh-consecutive team triumph at the National Reining Horse Association National Championship Nov. 29-30 in Oklahoma City. That’s correct: WTAMU has won this particular and prestigious national championship seven years in succession. This time, Texas A&M University placed second."
Horses. LOL. I fed one carrots yesterday. Do I get an award?
Turn yourself in and we'll see what you get awarded.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#210816 Feb 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You remember that debate very differently than I.
Yes, I'm sure you do!! If it wasn't such a pain in the azz, I'd go back and find our conversation on the bibles endorsement of slavery.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#210817 Feb 4, 2014
UncleTom wrote:
Then it should be safe to say that the "years" called out for Noah to have lived are not really 365 day years, since we know people don't really live that long.
Say whatever you like about any biblical passage. If anybody disagrees, tell them that the Spirit moved over you and know in your bones that you're correct. Who's going to stop you? Who's got the authority to contradict you?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#210818 Feb 4, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>*This* coming from a man who called his own mother "one of worst godbots ever" and not long after her death too. You are suggesting she had no mind of her own to think with which is the same as calling her dumb. You call Christians dumb all the time, liar.

There are no textbooks offered to the public schools in Texas that have any religious content in them. The same goes for all the other state's public schools.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2014...

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#210819 Feb 4, 2014
<quoted text>
Say whatever you like about any biblical passage. If anybody disagrees, tell them that the Spirit moved over you and know in your bones that you're correct. Who's going to stop you? Who's got the authority to contradict you?
How did you fare in the trivia contest?

I have been praying for your team.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#210820 Feb 4, 2014
For you geeky science nerds out there...

“It's time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

The South Pole

#210821 Feb 4, 2014
<quoted text>
LOL. I have likened teaching Riverside Redneck to rolling a mossy boulder up an icy hill into a headwind during a mudslide. It would be easier to teach a chicken to peck at a toy piano for corn kernels. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =BbM4dWQ5dJsXX
We could call U Sisyphus, then.

“It's time. . .”

The South Pole

#210822 Feb 4, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
My pleasure – LOL.
Actually I apologise, the majority of the readership on Topix is American and I try not to cause confusion.
Unless of course it’s deliberate…
Perhaps I should have said,‘up the duff’
Or ‘one in the oven’
Or ‘a bun in the oven’
And this kangaroo would know every one of those expressions. And also the one you used earlier.

“It's time. . .”

The South Pole

#210823 Feb 4, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I am quite modest. When I’m in the hospital to deliver, who will see me in that delicate position?
Authorized personnel only - doctors, nurses, orderlies, photographers, florists, cleaners, journalists, husband, mother, father, other relatives, friends etc.
LOL

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#210824 Feb 4, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>*This* coming from a man who called his own mother "one of worst godbots ever" and not long after her death too. You are suggesting she had no mind of her own to think with which is the same as calling her dumb. You call Christians dumb all the time, liar.
Hyperbole.

But then, I don't expect much else from you.

I believe I said my mother "was extremely religious", which is quite true.

I can see, however, if one is like you that can only see in black and white, you might turn that into "one of the worst godbots ever".

I don't say "religious content" either. I said religious and political ideology. Such as inserting Intelligent Design into Texas school books. They didn't succeed, but they tried VERY hard to do so. I suggest you reference Don McLeroy. They also attempted to write Jefferson out of the history books because Jefferson's writings didn't fit with their political and religious views. And McLeroy and his school board attempted to install "abstinence only" sex ed...based on their religious ideology.

You said that Texas has had a poor record on education. Are you trying to show that you are an example of that?

“It's time. . .”

The South Pole

#210825 Feb 4, 2014
<quoted text>
LOL.
Speaking of multiculturalism, I wanted to ask the thread to wish me luck (or pray) for me and my teammates today. I am one of eight on a team in a charity fundraiser trivia contest.
I have a great hat collection, which I will be sharing with my teammates in about three hours. I will be wearing my Arab keffiyah, which I know how to wrap and knot. Others will be wearing a pillbox shaped, felt Moroccan tarboosh, a tall tasseled fez, or a central African kenti kufi hat. My collection also includes a Chinese coolie hat (rice bowl shaped) with a long braid, a red, green and yellow Jamaican hat with dreads, a multicolored tricorn jester's hat with bells (great for Mardi Gras), and a tall, striped velour "cat-in-the-hat" hat great for Grateful Dead concerts (presently retired).
We're defending champs, and intend to "terrorize" the room again this year. I'll report back to the thread when we I have some news.
Break a leg, amigo.

I went to the Xmas Party this year as a harem girl. Wore my baggy pants, with my scarf around the head, like a veil. The lady serving warned me that there was pork in the savoury.
:-)

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#210826 Feb 4, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
I think he's reached critical density.
LOL.

He has offended most of the thread by now, and in assorted ways.

“It's time. . .”

The South Pole

#210827 Feb 4, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
There are a lot of songs on YouTube that are older music but with new lyrics based on the Cthulhu mythos. "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Fishmen" and "If I Were a Deep One" are among my favorites.
I'll have to check them out.

Here he is:
http://wall.alphacoders.com/by_sub_category.p...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 14 min Gary Coaldigger 20,750
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 3 hr Rosa_Winkel 11,097
John 3:16 9 hr thetruth 101
Hitler was Catholic 9 hr Shizle 1
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 22 hr thetruth 14,671
Atheists and the "Moses Syndrome" Mon Shizle 23
Atheists should stop feeding the stereotypes Mon Thinking 19
More from around the web