Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
202,161 - 202,180 of 224,013 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago
Richardfs

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you understand that there's a big difference between racist and racial discrimination?
RR don't discriminate.
I have read and reread your post and still can not believe that you actually wrote it.

However it does explain a lot about you and your choice of god. Your hatred of your fellow man is so ingrained you think it is love.

I honestly feel sorry for you, but don't worry if you try hard you might grow up one day.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>Much of what can be done depends on the situation.
There's not much you can do about the - Canadians - remark, which is possibly another reason racists use it here. If they use the other obviously racist terms I point out they're ignorant assholes and they should stfu.
If it's a place or business that favors the racist viewpoint, I no longer give them any business, or my friendship.
I'm from here and not unknown. I go where I will. So I can throw in where many people can't.
I still don't make it openly known I'm an atheist though.
I'm not crazy, this is the biblebelt, afterall.
Just a passing thought on this comment you made:
Rider on the Storm wrote:I only ask because I find it odd how may atheists on topix are completely nonracist, Totally over any homophobias. You just dont see that in real life but topix is full of em..........Just curious how far one takes it.
I know people who are not atheist, from this region who are fed up with the racism and homophobic attitudes and rhetoric seen here, and will speak out as I do, and often join in if someone else speaks out too...
It isn't an atheist thing, it a changing times thing.
Thanks for the reply Scaritual. I dont know which surprises me more, the fact that you speak out against the racism (which I commend you for) or the fact that you hide your atheism. I would have guessed the reverse.

I agree that things are changing. I've met plenty of people who are not racist, fight racism and are not homophobic and fight that also. It just seems on topix its 100% if your atheist. I find it odd and hard to believe. In real life the atheists I've known were outspoken about both and not in a good way. I found more tolerance with christians.

I have moved from the area i grew up in and have distanced myself from christians since quitting the church, Normally now when I meet someone their beliefs dont come up at least untill well into a friendship or relationship so I dont know if the experience i had still holds true. I do know that there is no shortage of intolerance though. But I think, like you, it is changing.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't have an issue with the commercial either, but I did find it odd that different lancuages were used for the NA. I haven't figured the concept out completely, but I think it had to do with....
- there are lots of diferent cultures in America - and we all sing the NA.....no matter what heritage or lineage you have.
Maybe it was just to show the diversity in America - using people's heritage as the "melting pot" scenario - for the singing of the NA in different languages.
Be proud of the NA - do not admonish the people who enjoy singing it - even if it is in Navajo.
My bad - I fell into the spin of the NA. SO I wanted to at least correct myself.....it wasn't the NA at all - it was "America, the Beautiful".

Everyone person in all languages should sing this song and have a Coke.

It is very reminiscent of the days gone by Faygo Pop ad "Faygo re-member......remember when you were a kid.....a part of you still is.....so that's why weeee drink Fay-ay-go..."

or even the old Coke ad from more of those days gone by....
"I'd like the teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony......"

Don't you think America is beautiful, and don't you think, that many different people sing this?

Best regards,

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the reply Scaritual. I dont know which surprises me more, the fact that you speak out against the racism (which I commend you for) or the fact that you hide your atheism. I would have guessed the reverse.
I agree that things are changing. I've met plenty of people who are not racist, fight racism and are not homophobic and fight that also. It just seems on topix its 100% if your atheist. I find it odd and hard to believe. In real life the atheists I've known were outspoken about both and not in a good way. I found more tolerance with christians.
I have moved from the area i grew up in and have distanced myself from christians since quitting the church, Normally now when I meet someone their beliefs dont come up at least untill well into a friendship or relationship so I dont know if the experience i had still holds true. I do know that there is no shortage of intolerance though. But I think, like you, it is changing.
I only know about 5-6 atheists here. Three of those are siblings, the other sibling is agnostic, but leans theist. More of a deist.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. RR's Oprah comment about 'black hole' did damage ..
.. it's embedded in my mind. Is that what most men think of women? That we're merely a hole to stick their d*ck into ??..
No HL - most men respect women.

I'd insert addl humor here, but it would be a bit racy.....funny, but racy for Topix.....

:o)

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

RiversideRedneck wrote:
Plants cannot grow to maturity and bear offspring in 24 hours.
With magic they can - less, in fact. How do you know when magic happens and when it doesn't? It seems random to me.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
Yes you do. By what you wrote above, your absolute morality tells you "Homophobia is wrong. Atheophobia is wrong. Slavery is wrong. Rape is wrong. Terrorizing children with stories of hellfire is wrong. Premarital sex is not wrong. Birth control and condoms are not wrong." And you're not up for debate on it.
Maybe you shoud define your terms. I am using the standard meaning.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Harmful? Teaching a moral guideline isn't harmful, it's helpful.
Only if it a useful moral principle in the sense that it makes daily life better.

Christian principles that contradict humanist principles don't do that, and are usually faith based. I don't consider faith a path to truth.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Bull. Christianity teaches that rape, slavery and hatred are bad things.
Those are humanist values, not Christian values. The Christian bible condones rape and slavery, and promotes intolerance. Sorry, but that's what an outsider sees. There is no condemnation of wither rape or slavery in the bible.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
You don't believe in Him and you think sin is harmful, it's no wonder He's ignored you.
Is he pissed?

The god you describe is petty and unbefitting worship.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Does it still sound that way? Even after 14 definitions of "father" without spermatozoa or rearing?
Yes. None of them correlate with your god in any literal sense of father. Did you think one did?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

Ians,

Days behind and can only scroll back 2 pages at time on phone so gonna reply here to your post to me about why I don't subscribe to a literal interpretation of Genesis and what world I would prefer God to create

I didn't flat our reject it for moral reasons but there was moral and scientific things that just were not adding up to me. Why have the tree of knowledge in the garden let alone allow the serpent to be there? How did 2 ppl even thru incest create different races and ethnicities? How could the world only be 7000 years old? How could every species of creature be on a boat? Why kill everyone but just those few, they were all that guilty? And etc, etc.

At the time I actually hadn't started reading the Bible myself and it wasn't till later I saw every single thing I had major issues with was in Genesis. Yet on the flip side the message being told throughout had a lot of merit. After studying it in detail I came to believe Genesis was not meant to be taken literally but was a simplified way of handling some complex issues that made it easy for people to understand the point

As for the works you described, sure it sounds great. But giving people the ability to think but not act on bad impulses is simply taking over the free will to act. And then what, condemn them for thoughts? And there are 667 sins all pretty much equal to God. It would stand to reason He wouldn't let us act on any of them then.

Everybody would love a world of love and equality and no crime and so on. But the freedom to think and act for ourselves, to me anyway, is the entire foundation that gives life meaning. Remember the movie Liar Liar with Jim Carrey? Imagine just with one sun (lying) our ability to act was taken from us? Then add another 666 sins. People need to have free will.

I mean there are some things so egregious and offensive that I wish their were exceptions. Like if you try to rape a kid you drop dead on the spot. I wouldn't shed a tear. Then again, maybe some people wouldn't have shed a tear for me if I was struck dead for being an addict. Where is the line and should there be one?

It's great to think about and if given the power it would be hard not to put my own personal stamp on things. But I honestly believe life has to include free will. And maybe instead of requiring God to take away our ability to act, as humans we actually could police ourselves and just live more moral lives? Why have we allowed immorality to become so widespread that we don't have a chance of containing it where we even need to have discussions about what God should stop? And that is another possibility. Maybe He no longer feels we deserve His intervention to keep saving us from ourselves?

Just some thought anyway

(T) Peace
Richardfs

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
In that case, you shouldn't be posting anything about " taking RR over your knee", should you.
According to you, you shouldn't be making gay jokes to a straight man. That's not self-mocking...
Do you have the same ideals about gays making straight jokes? Blacks making white jokes? Women making men jokes?
Where do you draw your line? At white straight men making jokes about anything other than white straight men?
<quoted text>
Um. It IS a hole, HL...
<quoted text>
You don't know that, you're assuming.
<quoted text>
Dehumanizing?!?
I'm giving very human traits and aspects.
<quoted text>
What I've learned is the double standard stiffness of some people.
Gays can tell straight jokes but straights can't tell gay jokes.
Blacks can tell white jokes but whites can't tell black jokes.
<quoted text>
Yup. Some of the jokes I get from them.
We aren't just politically incorrect at the RR estate.
We're anti-politically correct.
The problem is you have all the savoir faire of a traffic accident.

The difference is a joke can be made about a section of the human race and be funny without putting them down, for example to describe somebody to be as "camp as a row of tents".

But to make jokes about 'black holes' in the context you used is just poor taste and demonstrates an embarrassing level of immaturity.

I am not PC myself but there is a huge difference between not been PC and been rude crude and uncalled for and you defiantly fall in the latter.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

Skombolis wrote:
Ians,
Days behind and can only scroll back 2 pages at time on phone so gonna reply here to your post to me about why I don't subscribe to a literal interpretation of Genesis and what world I would prefer God to create
I didn't flat our reject it for moral reasons but there was moral and scientific things that just were not adding up to me. Why have the tree of knowledge in the garden let alone allow the serpent to be there? How did 2 ppl even thru incest create different races and ethnicities? How could the world only be 7000 years old? How could every species of creature be on a boat? Why kill everyone but just those few, they were all that guilty? And etc, etc.
At the time I actually hadn't started reading the Bible myself and it wasn't till later I saw every single thing I had major issues with was in Genesis. Yet on the flip side the message being told throughout had a lot of merit. After studying it in detail I came to believe Genesis was not meant to be taken literally but was a simplified way of handling some complex issues that made it easy for people to understand the point
As for the works you described, sure it sounds great. But giving people the ability to think but not act on bad impulses is simply taking over the free will to act. And then what, condemn them for thoughts? And there are 667 sins all pretty much equal to God. It would stand to reason He wouldn't let us act on any of them then.
Everybody would love a world of love and equality and no crime and so on. But the freedom to think and act for ourselves, to me anyway, is the entire foundation that gives life meaning. Remember the movie Liar Liar with Jim Carrey? Imagine just with one sun (lying) our ability to act was taken from us? Then add another 666 sins. People need to have free will.
I mean there are some things so egregious and offensive that I wish their were exceptions. Like if you try to rape a kid you drop dead on the spot. I wouldn't shed a tear. Then again, maybe some people wouldn't have shed a tear for me if I was struck dead for being an addict. Where is the line and should there be one?
It's great to think about and if given the power it would be hard not to put my own personal stamp on things. But I honestly believe life has to include free will. And maybe instead of requiring God to take away our ability to act, as humans we actually could police ourselves and just live more moral lives? Why have we allowed immorality to become so widespread that we don't have a chance of containing it where we even need to have discussions about what God should stop? And that is another possibility. Maybe He no longer feels we deserve His intervention to keep saving us from ourselves?
Just some thought anyway
(T) Peace
All of you in attempt to rationalize genesis, come to a conclusion not supported by believers for thousands of years prior to the realization that the story is complete and utter bullshit. You bend over and kiss self in ass to believe a complete bs story made up by cave dwellers, and then try to sell it's authenticity to others because you rationalize that cave dwellers had your sense. Give it up skom you delude yourself and then try to make us think you are a candidate for MENSA material. I'm laughing at your cognitive dissonance and ability to manufacture a false reality to substantiate your belief in myth.

Go ahead and try to sell us Russel's Teapot now.....hahaha!

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Americas strength has always been in is multicultural melding of people.
Yes we are all those countries and more... we are America!. But don't you dare try to rob our immigrants of being a part of the US..... hearing OUR anthem where they could understand it makes a unity, and this unity makes us stronger. Remember we are the
UNITED STATES and Stupid is something else than what I'm saying here, remember Redneck I'm a redneck and I'm another kind of redneck. My mother was a immigrant who could barely read speak or understand English.
Was you mother ever American or do you always label her as immigrant?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> All of you in attempt to rationalize genesis, come to a conclusion not supported by believers for thousands of years prior to the realization that the story is complete and utter bullshit. You bend over and kiss self in ass to believe a complete bs story made up by cave dwellers, and then try to sell it's authenticity to others because you rationalize that cave dwellers had your sense. Give it up skom you delude yourself and then try to make us think you are a candidate for MENSA material. I'm laughing at your cognitive dissonance and ability to manufacture a false reality to substantiate your belief in myth.
Go ahead and try to sell us Russel's Teapot now.....hahaha!
First of all you are not part of any 'us'. You are a retard troll too stupid to understand most exchanges

Second of all I'm not trying to sell anyone anything, least of all you who I find to be someone who has no business in adult discussions

Go back to your village and continue your life of forced celibacy dork. Your obsession with me is cutting into time you could spend getting rejected by women. When is the last time you have gotten laid? Fantasizing about Princess Leah doesn't count

:)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

It aint necessarily so wrote:
With magic they can - less, in fact. How do you know when magic happens and when it doesn't? It seems random to me.
A lot of things seem random to you.

Hell, even the human race is a random accident to you.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:

Yes you do. By what you wrote above, your absolute morality tells you "Homophobia is wrong. Atheophobia is wrong. Slavery is wrong. Rape is wrong. Terrorizing children with stories of hellfire is wrong. Premarital sex is not wrong. Birth control and condoms are not wrong." And you're not up for debate on it.
Maybe you shoud define your terms. I am using the standard meaning.
No sir.

You very clearly dictated your ideals and morals.

You very clearly claimed that homophobia, atheophobia, slavery and take are WRONG.

You did not say maybe or if or cudda wudda.

You claimed very clearly that telling kids about Hell is wrong.

You claimed very clearly that premarital sex, birth control and condoms are right.

You've stated your opinion of morality.

The "standard meaning" of it.

Simultaneously, you condemn people who have different morals than you of being lesser citizens and you've claimed them harmful to society. Which means you think people like you are helpful to society.

Just be honest.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

Only if it a useful moral principle in the sense that it makes daily life better.
Christian principles that contradict humanist principles don't do that, and are usually faith based. I don't consider faith a path to truth.
There's at least some honesty from you here.

Humanist principle = good.

Christian principle that matches Humanist principle = good.

Christian principle that refutes Humanist principle = bad.

I hope you know those are only your opinions.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Americas strength has always been in is multicultural melding of people.
Yes we are all those countries and more... we are America!. But don't you dare try to rob our immigrants of being a part of the US..... hearing OUR anthem where they could understand it makes a unity, and this unity makes us stronger. Remember we are the
UNITED STATES and Stupid is something else than what I'm saying here, remember Redneck I'm a redneck and I'm another kind of redneck. My mother was a immigrant who could barely read speak or understand English.
LOL

YOU can barely read, speak, or understand English

Perhaps it is genetic and you just come from a long line of stupid people?

:)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

Those are humanist values, not Christian values. The Christian bible condones rape and slavery, and promotes intolerance. Sorry, but that's what an outsider sees. There is no condemnation of wither rape or slavery in the bible.
No it doesn't.

The Bible teaches is of the way those people used to be and the laws that were set to govern their lives.

Not in any place of the Bible, NOT ONE PLACE, does it tell me or any other Christian that slavery or rape is a good thing or that it's the moral and just and Godly thing to do.

Nowhere does the Bible teach Christians intolerance. Nowhere. It teaches is to love our fellow man and to do what we can to belong them to Jesus and to salvation.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

Richardfs wrote:
The problem is you have all the savoir faire of a traffic accident.
The difference is a joke can be made about a section of the human race and be funny without putting them down, for example to describe somebody to be as "camp as a row of tents".
But to make jokes about 'black holes' in the context you used is just poor taste and demonstrates an embarrassing level of immaturity.
I am not PC myself but there is a huge difference between not been PC and been rude crude and uncalled for and you defiantly fall in the latter.
Well, my non PC-ness is crude.

I am crude.

Simple questions:

Do people think black holes exist?

Does Oprah have a black hole?

The answers to both is yes.

As crude as that may sound.....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

14 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 46 min Liam R 12
Of Interest InTheNews 57 min Reason Personified 2
Our world came from nothing? 59 min Patrick 181
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 4 hr Patrick 21,376
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 6 hr Buck Crick 356
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 8 hr Thinking 831
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... 10 hr Patrick 1,285
•••
•••