Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256538 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#210824 Feb 4, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>*This* coming from a man who called his own mother "one of worst godbots ever" and not long after her death too. You are suggesting she had no mind of her own to think with which is the same as calling her dumb. You call Christians dumb all the time, liar.
There are no textbooks offered to the public schools in Texas that have any religious content in them. The same goes for all the other state's public schools.
Hyperbole.

But then, I don't expect much else from you.

I believe I said my mother "was extremely religious", which is quite true.

I can see, however, if one is like you that can only see in black and white, you might turn that into "one of the worst godbots ever".

I don't say "religious content" either. I said religious and political ideology. Such as inserting Intelligent Design into Texas school books. They didn't succeed, but they tried VERY hard to do so. I suggest you reference Don McLeroy. They also attempted to write Jefferson out of the history books because Jefferson's writings didn't fit with their political and religious views. And McLeroy and his school board attempted to install "abstinence only" sex ed...based on their religious ideology.

You said that Texas has had a poor record on education. Are you trying to show that you are an example of that?

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#210825 Feb 4, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL.
Speaking of multiculturalism, I wanted to ask the thread to wish me luck (or pray) for me and my teammates today. I am one of eight on a team in a charity fundraiser trivia contest.
I have a great hat collection, which I will be sharing with my teammates in about three hours. I will be wearing my Arab keffiyah, which I know how to wrap and knot. Others will be wearing a pillbox shaped, felt Moroccan tarboosh, a tall tasseled fez, or a central African kenti kufi hat. My collection also includes a Chinese coolie hat (rice bowl shaped) with a long braid, a red, green and yellow Jamaican hat with dreads, a multicolored tricorn jester's hat with bells (great for Mardi Gras), and a tall, striped velour "cat-in-the-hat" hat great for Grateful Dead concerts (presently retired).
We're defending champs, and intend to "terrorize" the room again this year. I'll report back to the thread when we I have some news.
Break a leg, amigo.

I went to the Xmas Party this year as a harem girl. Wore my baggy pants, with my scarf around the head, like a veil. The lady serving warned me that there was pork in the savoury.
:-)

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#210826 Feb 4, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
I think he's reached critical density.
LOL.

He has offended most of the thread by now, and in assorted ways.

“True Blue”

New Holland

#210827 Feb 4, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
There are a lot of songs on YouTube that are older music but with new lyrics based on the Cthulhu mythos. "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Fishmen" and "If I Were a Deep One" are among my favorites.
I'll have to check them out.

Here he is:
http://wall.alphacoders.com/by_sub_category.p...

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#210828 Feb 4, 2014
<quoted text>
LOL.
Was it something I said?

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#210829 Feb 4, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Hyperbole.
But then, I don't expect much else from you.
I believe I said my mother "was extremely religious", which is quite true.
I can see, however, if one is like you that can only see in black and white, you might turn that into "one of the worst godbots ever".
I don't say "religious content" either. I said religious and political ideology. Such as inserting Intelligent Design into Texas school books. They didn't succeed, but they tried VERY hard to do so. I suggest you reference Don McLeroy. They also attempted to write Jefferson out of the history books because Jefferson's writings didn't fit with their political and religious views. And McLeroy and his school board attempted to install "abstinence only" sex ed...based on their religious ideology.
You said that Texas has had a poor record on education. Are you trying to show that you are an example of that?
They apparently did succeed in charter schools, and it is violating the constitution.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_scie...

And it gets worse.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2014... .

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#210830 Feb 4, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> They apparently did succeed in charter schools, and it is violating the constitution.
And it gets worse.
Yeah, I've been following that story. The problem with charter schools is not restricted to just Texas.

The two states that currently have the worst record on teaching creationism in public schools are Louisiana and Tennessee.

If Don McLeroy had his way, Texas would outstrip both of those. Fortunately for the students in Texas, his textbook takeover had the brakes applied.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#210831 Feb 4, 2014
<quoted text>LOL.

He'll be pleased, I think it was his main objective.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#210832 Feb 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone that reads the Bible is reading an interpretation of it.
Of course...

Fennario

#210833 Feb 4, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
How did you fare in the trivia contest? I have been praying for your team.

Thanks. We won. By just one question. We keep the trophy another year. It was truly a team effort. We had six people answering questions - everybody provided at least one answer that nobody else knew - and two writing down questions and answers, which was critical when we needed to discuss our choices in the two minutes after each round.

The questions were tough. We got 65 out of 80, and barely won:

One guy knew who Olivier Messiaen was - a composer and ornithologist. I'd never heard of him. One knew Margaret Thatcher's middle name - Hilda. I also was the only one to know Noel Neill (Who played Lois Lane in the original television series Superman with George Reeves?). One guy know when the ampersand (@) was added to email names - 1972 (I would have guessed the 80's, but he's a computer wonk that was in the field then, and remembered its advent).

Tough test, great team.

Fennario

#210834 Feb 4, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
For you geeky science nerds out there...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =2rjbtsX7twcXX
Excellent!

Fennario

#210835 Feb 4, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
We could call U Sisyphus, then.
Oh yeah! He's the one.

;)

Fennario

#210836 Feb 4, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
And this kangaroo would know every one of those expressions. And also the one you used earlier.
I'm surprised that you would know them. I'm assuming that you mean that you learned them in Australia and not the UK.

Fennario

#210837 Feb 4, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
Was it something I said?
Not you, amigo. Riverside Redneck. And yes, it was something he said. A few things.

“True Blue”

New Holland

#210838 Feb 5, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Justifying genocide?
Only in Christianity.
Pat Robertson should be arrested for supporting hate crimes and terrorism.
Yep! Just like his fellow funny-mentalist Scott Lively.

“True Blue”

New Holland

#210839 Feb 5, 2014
<quoted text>
I'm surprised that you would know them. I'm assuming that you mean that you learned them in Australia and not the UK.
Yes I did. They say that the Aussie accent is very similar to Cockney, but changed a little in 200 years here.

As for American slang, we know it mostly through the influence of Hollywood and pop music. I still need Google sometimes tho, LOL.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#210840 Feb 5, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. do you think gays should tolerate religious insults? How about atheists? Should their worthless bodies be chucked in a trench since their souls are going to hell ??..
.. you seem to exhibit much intolerance in support of tolerance ..
No since you asked. But it does bring something into light as to what would constitute insults. Some time back Catcher had a problem with my viewpoint that a homosexual man or woman is "perverting" or living a life that is not normal. In other words he asked a question he already knew how I would answer it and then pretended to be upset by it. Now mind you I have never called a homosexual a pervert. In this area we have a large homosexual population in Tampa and St. Pete and I've known some people that think its wise to go to the film festival or pride day to make a stand. I never have because I doubt any will see it as an act of love and more likely see it (like you say) as an insult. Imo no matter where any of us are today that could very well change and the path we are on based on things unknown to us today. Wife is going to speak to a group of people in a few weeks and will let you know how that goes.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#210841 Feb 5, 2014
<quoted text>
That's one of them. Clearwater was outraged at being compared to air pollution, and unwilling to listen until we "two faced people stand up for EVERYONES equality." Imagine having that attitude while defending the church that prints such hate speech in every language known to man, gives copies to anybody that will take them, and even puts its bigotry into every hotel and motel room it can.
I don't expect him to care about atheists, just Christians. I think he expects the same from us - that we care about how he is depicted, but not ourselves.
Lol, outraged? Not so much. Shocked? You bet. Shocked that the mask has come off. Funny where the word logic is used often doesn't seem to be much here. What is the next logic step if this is true a good part of the population is "like air pollution"? Most would agree air pollution isn't good and needs to be stopped or controlled. Again I would say I was shocked when Governor Cuomo's words were not more guarded but again thankful he spoke what he felt without the mask. Btw you have no clue what I do but lets just say I do care about everyone. You are right in thinking I could not care less what you think of me or how you depict me.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#210842 Feb 5, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>Lol, outraged? Not so much. Shocked? You bet. Shocked that the mask has come off. Funny where the word logic is used often doesn't seem to be much here. What is the next logic step if this is true a good part of the population is "like air pollution"? Most would agree air pollution isn't good and needs to be stopped or controlled. Again I would say I was shocked when Governor Cuomo's words were not more guarded but again thankful he spoke what he felt without the mask. Btw you have no clue what I do but lets just say I do care about everyone. You are right in thinking I could not care less what you think of me or how you depict me.
"What is the next 'logical' step.."

You're welcome.

Fennario

#210843 Feb 5, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> They apparently did succeed in charter schools, and it is violating the constitution.
And it gets worse.
This is the kind of thing that makes my blood boil, and intensifies my resolve to see that church weakened. It hurts people. It's hurting schoolchildren by keeping their worlds smaller and more ignorant, and by impairing their competitiveness in the job market. And it hurts the nation, which is already reeling from problems like an increasingly gullible and incompetent electorate, and too many citizens distrustful of science and unable to understand the climate change problem or the threat it entails.

It's too serious to be polite about, and that is just one front. The church is what it is: a selfish and destructive force that needs to be opposed and weakened.That will come about quickest with the use of forceful, urgent, and indignant language not watered down by concern for who is offended.

I know how much language like this riles the Christians - how evil, god hating and intolerant they see us. But really, we can't afford to care about that under the circumstances. There is no reason why others should treat the church with any more respect than it offers.

It is indifferent to the damage it does, contemptuous of the law and of church-state separation, and of the values of secular society. I'm sure that it is for reasons like these that Hitchens said, "I think religion should be treated with ridicule, hatred and contempt, and I claim that right."

It's more than a right. It's a duty.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 54 min Rosa_Winkel 18,449
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Chimney1 43,083
News Athiest tells high schoolers God is evil (May '11) 1 hr Avkjv1611 792
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 2 hr NightSerf 3,819
News Why I quit atheism 4 hr Richardfs 678
There is no meaning without God (Jul '15) 5 hr Richardfs 47
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 6 hr Eagle 12 5,663
A Universe from Nothing? 11 hr Eagle 12 417
More from around the web