Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247512 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#210610 Feb 3, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> All of you in attempt to rationalize genesis, come to a conclusion not supported by believers for thousands of years prior to the realization that the story is complete and utter bullshit. You bend over and kiss self in ass to believe a complete bs story made up by cave dwellers, and then try to sell it's authenticity to others because you rationalize that cave dwellers had your sense. Give it up skom you delude yourself and then try to make us think you are a candidate for MENSA material. I'm laughing at your cognitive dissonance and ability to manufacture a false reality to substantiate your belief in myth.
Go ahead and try to sell us Russel's Teapot now.....hahaha!
First of all you are not part of any 'us'. You are a retard troll too stupid to understand most exchanges

Second of all I'm not trying to sell anyone anything, least of all you who I find to be someone who has no business in adult discussions

Go back to your village and continue your life of forced celibacy dork. Your obsession with me is cutting into time you could spend getting rejected by women. When is the last time you have gotten laid? Fantasizing about Princess Leah doesn't count

:)

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#210611 Feb 3, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
With magic they can - less, in fact. How do you know when magic happens and when it doesn't? It seems random to me.
A lot of things seem random to you.

Hell, even the human race is a random accident to you.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210612 Feb 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:

Yes you do. By what you wrote above, your absolute morality tells you "Homophobia is wrong. Atheophobia is wrong. Slavery is wrong. Rape is wrong. Terrorizing children with stories of hellfire is wrong. Premarital sex is not wrong. Birth control and condoms are not wrong." And you're not up for debate on it.
Maybe you shoud define your terms. I am using the standard meaning.
No sir.

You very clearly dictated your ideals and morals.

You very clearly claimed that homophobia, atheophobia, slavery and take are WRONG.

You did not say maybe or if or cudda wudda.

You claimed very clearly that telling kids about Hell is wrong.

You claimed very clearly that premarital sex, birth control and condoms are right.

You've stated your opinion of morality.

The "standard meaning" of it.

Simultaneously, you condemn people who have different morals than you of being lesser citizens and you've claimed them harmful to society. Which means you think people like you are helpful to society.

Just be honest.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210613 Feb 3, 2014
Only if it a useful moral principle in the sense that it makes daily life better.
Christian principles that contradict humanist principles don't do that, and are usually faith based. I don't consider faith a path to truth.
There's at least some honesty from you here.

Humanist principle = good.

Christian principle that matches Humanist principle = good.

Christian principle that refutes Humanist principle = bad.

I hope you know those are only your opinions.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#210614 Feb 3, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Americas strength has always been in is multicultural melding of people.
Yes we are all those countries and more... we are America!. But don't you dare try to rob our immigrants of being a part of the US..... hearing OUR anthem where they could understand it makes a unity, and this unity makes us stronger. Remember we are the
UNITED STATES and Stupid is something else than what I'm saying here, remember Redneck I'm a redneck and I'm another kind of redneck. My mother was a immigrant who could barely read speak or understand English.
LOL

YOU can barely read, speak, or understand English

Perhaps it is genetic and you just come from a long line of stupid people?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210615 Feb 3, 2014

Those are humanist values, not Christian values. The Christian bible condones rape and slavery, and promotes intolerance. Sorry, but that's what an outsider sees. There is no condemnation of wither rape or slavery in the bible.
No it doesn't.

The Bible teaches is of the way those people used to be and the laws that were set to govern their lives.

Not in any place of the Bible, NOT ONE PLACE, does it tell me or any other Christian that slavery or rape is a good thing or that it's the moral and just and Godly thing to do.

Nowhere does the Bible teach Christians intolerance. Nowhere. It teaches is to love our fellow man and to do what we can to belong them to Jesus and to salvation.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210616 Feb 3, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
The problem is you have all the savoir faire of a traffic accident.
The difference is a joke can be made about a section of the human race and be funny without putting them down, for example to describe somebody to be as "camp as a row of tents".
But to make jokes about 'black holes' in the context you used is just poor taste and demonstrates an embarrassing level of immaturity.
I am not PC myself but there is a huge difference between not been PC and been rude crude and uncalled for and you defiantly fall in the latter.
Well, my non PC-ness is crude.

I am crude.

Simple questions:

Do people think black holes exist?

Does Oprah have a black hole?

The answers to both is yes.

As crude as that may sound.....

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#210617 Feb 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
News flash!
The first century wasn't 250 years ago.
“It is quite foolish to think that the world was created in the space of six days or in a space of time at all.”
-Philo,'On Allegory'
From the first century...
Newsflash! Philosophical or clerical opinion does not necessarily represent the prevailing common consensus!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210618 Feb 3, 2014
http://www.topix.com/forum/rel igion/atheism/TUGI0DVLLAKD7M2H N/post210503

Yes. None of them correlate with your god in any literal sense of father. Did you think one did?
You said you know of no other definition for "father" other than the kinds that involves sperm or rearing and you asked me if I did.

I gave you 14 different definitions for it that did not involve your two criteria.

No, one of them didn't describe God.

Three did.

6. Father Christianity
a. God.
b. The first person of the Christian Trinity.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210619 Feb 3, 2014
Is he pissed?
The god you describe is petty and unbefitting worship.
Pissed?! At lil old IANS?

No.

I'd think He's saddened by the choices you've made, especially since you're not ignorant of Him.

Location hidden

#210620 Feb 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol.
I just gave out statistics, like these:
I don't know what they gravitate to crime so much, but they DO.
I know that blacks are twice as likely to have a prison sentence than whites.
I know that blacks are more than twice as likely to have been in prison than in the military.
I know that over 10% of blacks in prison have a college degree.
Where's the white supremacy? Where do I make the claim that the white race is the supreme race?
In fact, where's the racism there?!
Go.
"What is true is that our prisons are 80% black. That's got to tell you something about them."

Location hidden

#210621 Feb 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What is it you think I've reinterpreted?
Uhhhh... lol.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210622 Feb 3, 2014
timn17 wrote:
Newsflash! Philosophical or clerical opinion does not necessarily represent the prevailing common consensus!
I know, timn. You missed the conversation and ignorantly jumped in the middle.

Scar claimed that the idea of the days in Genesis not being 24 hours was about 250 years old.

And he credited it to advances in science for this 'new' way of Biblical interpretation.

I showed him that that idea has been around as long as Jesus.

Much, much longer than any major scientific advances.

Except of course for spontaneous generation....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210623 Feb 3, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>"What is true is that our prisons are 80% black. That's got to tell you something about them."
If you're gonna consider a factual comment like that to be supremacist, then you can't call me a white supremacist.

It'd hafta be more something like an "every race except black supremacist".

Those don't exist.

I'm no supremacist.

Location hidden

#210624 Feb 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Pissed?! At lil old IANS?
No.
I'd think He's saddened by the choices you've made, especially since you're not ignorant of Him.
If I was a universe spanning omnipotent intelligence, I too would concern myself with the thoughts of every individual that ever lived on one planet in one corner of "creation." I would also have a full range of human emotions, like sadness. I would also consider piety a higher virtue than reason, compassion, or good deeds. Obviously.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210625 Feb 3, 2014
timn17 wrote:
Uhhhh... lol.
Best post of the evening, timn.

Verily.

<standing ovation>

nitey nite

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#210626 Feb 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If you're gonna consider a factual comment like that to be supremacist, then you can't call me a white supremacist.
It'd hafta be more something like an "every race except black supremacist".
Those don't exist.
I'm no supremacist.
Go ahead.

Continue to deny it until you're blue in the face.

It won't change what you are, and everyone here knows it.

You are an angry, stupid ChristoWhiteSupremacist.
Richardfs

Sydney, Australia

#210627 Feb 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, my non PC-ness is crude.
I am crude.
Simple questions:
Do people think black holes exist?
Does Oprah have a black hole?
The answers to both is yes.
As crude as that may sound.....
Why do you chose to embarrass yourself like this? Do you think it is manly to be a fool? You may think you are funny but nobody is laughing with you only at you.

Racist bigotry has no place in modern society and you and your kind will go the way of the Dodo and none too soon.
christINSANITY is EVIL

Leamington, Canada

#210628 Feb 3, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>If I was a universe spanning omnipotent intelligence, I too would concern myself with the thoughts of every individual that ever lived on one planet in one corner of "creation." I would also have a full range of human emotions, like sadness. I would also consider piety a higher virtue than reason, compassion, or good deeds. Obviously.
That's just totaly idiotic,and nonsensical,
why would someone who created everything and knows how it all will turn out be concerned about it?

“The Edge”

Since: Dec 10

Of Tomorow

#210629 Feb 3, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>First of all you are not part of any 'us'. You are a retard troll too stupid to understand most exchanges
Second of all I'm not trying to sell anyone anything, least of all you who I find to be someone who has no business in adult discussions
Go back to your village and continue your life of forced celibacy dork. Your obsession with me is cutting into time you could spend getting rejected by women. When is the last time you have gotten laid? Fantasizing about Princess Leah doesn't count
Go blow yourself skom. I don't have to sell it to you...you sold it to yourself.
You bullshitted yourself into believing hogwash. Besides I even converse with those of sub par mentality like you you with illusionary grandiose, and delusional fantasies.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 1 hr -Stray Dog 47,831
Hitler was Catholic 1 hr Thinking 3
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... 2 hr serfs up 14
Proof of God for the Atheist 2 hr thetruth 129
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr thetruth 12,790
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 4 hr Thinking 25
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 5 hr thetruth 12
More from around the web