Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258041 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#209931 Feb 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Being a redneck has nothing to do with geographical location, it's a state of mind, a state of being.
The word you're looking for is "ignorant".
RiversideRedneck wrote:
It's a glorious absence of sophistication.
And you're proud of it, too.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I don't give a shit if you're from the mountains. You ain't no redneck.
"teehee"

Ar Ar said "ain't".

Keep flappin' those 'purty gums and you're right, I'm not a redneck.

Neither are you, you're just a city boy that wishes he was and never will be, but you know that.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#209932 Feb 1, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
You still pretending you are wearing big boy pants?
That's cute.
Its adorable that you think you're someone.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's teapot

#209933 Feb 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"I'm the bestest translator..."
_The ScarScar
Like I've said before, it's creepy but cool when you try to emulate me, but you'll never be me.

I'm sure you're okay with that because - everyone needs to strive for something - and it just makes me laugh.

It's a win, win.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#209934 Feb 1, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean "self"?
Ok, self, at least I am certain that I exist, and I have never murdered little babies, in fact I have never murdered anyone, nor do I make promises that I never intended to keep, like answered prayers, nor would I ever suggest having someone else suffer the penalty for another's wrong-doings, it's highly immoral, and I would never ever condone owning another human being as property. So even if I were to worship myself, I'm actually pretty awesome in many respects, I wouldn't be worshiping an immoral psychopathic killer. Did I mention that I have never destroyed a fetus, unlike your demon god thing.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#209935 Feb 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
"Free of supernaturalism, it [humanism] recognizes human beings as a part of nature and holds that values-be they religious, ethical, social, or political-have their source in human experience and culture." americanhumanist.org

What do you suppose humanists feel are the values of religion?
That varies with the religion and probably the humanist as well. It seems to me that the chief concern of each Christian is his own salvation, which he hopes to obtain through worship, submission, and proclaiming and promoting Christianity.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#209936 Feb 1, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a lot of faith you have displayed there.
You seem very religious...
Trust based on evidence from the naturalistic realm is a far cry from faith in things from the supernatural realm, a non-existent realm. It is shocking that you can't see the difference. Trust is something earned, Faith is gullibility.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#209937 Feb 1, 2014
scaritual wrote:
The word you're looking for is "ignorant".
Nope. That'd be the city boys out there that think a fridge is a necessity.
And you're proud of it, too.
You're damned right I am.
"teehee"
Ar Ar said "ain't".
Would you prefer "taint"?
Keep flappin' those 'purty gums and you're right, I'm not a redneck.
Neither are you, you're just a city boy that wishes he was and never will be, but you know that.
HA HA HA!

Me?!? A city boy?!?!?

Oh, son.....

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#209938 Feb 1, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Will comment on your last statement. Here is the context.
----------
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> There is precedent for pederasty rights in ancient Greece. It was in part a exchange of services. The teacher would instruct in exchange for sexual services. So??? why was that wrong for them?
----------
So you are saying pederasty was right for ancient Greece? Neutral? Wrong? I do not see where you answered my explicit question. Your answer is evasive.
----------
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
You are putting words in my mouth, just like all the other Liars for Jesus.
Where?
Why do you feel the need to do that? Is your position so weak that the only way you can defend it is to lie?
Where did i lie?
I would continue this conversation, but I have to agree with IANS. You, mtimber, bongo and others have no critical thinking skills and seemingly can't develop any at this late stage of your life. Trying to get the point across is just an exercise in futility. Nothing I can do will get the point across to you. You will just have to accept that your mind can not get around the subject and leave it at that.
All you really have is accusations and demonstrate an inability to answer a legitimate question. This is the third time. You have twice failed to answer a valid question. If we lack critical thinking skills [as you accuse] then why can you not answer a valid question which has twice been put to you?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#209939 Feb 1, 2014
scaritual wrote:
Like I've said before, it's creepy but cool when you try to emulate me, but you'll never be me.
I'm sure you're okay with that because - everyone needs to strive for something - and it just makes me laugh.
It's a win, win.
"I'm awesome and I know it."
-The Scar
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#209940 Feb 1, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You consider a planned and guided process that formed certain types of acid and a hostile environment to life to be evidence of abiogenesis?
And you consider the writings of an immoral ancient book that describes an unknown entity blowing on a handful of dirt as evidence for the creation on man? Sounds really stupid when you put it into words doesn't it!!

The certain "types" of acids you speak of, are Amino Acids, the building blocks for life. Considering that every living thing on the face of the planet relies on Amino Acids, I say this was a very important discovery, and a very clear indication that life from non-living matter is scientifically plausible.

Given the fact that the only evidence there is for the creation of life is abiogenesis, then these experiments certainly lead to that logical conclusion. Here:

1.) Life began because an entity, for which there is no demonstrable evidence, blew on a handful of dirt.

2.) Life began by purely naturalistic means, given the fact that all of the ingredients for life where at one time present.

3.) The most abundant elements in the universe are the same element present in our own bodies, Hydrogen----Helium---Oxygen--- Nitrogen....and Carbon.

We are made for the same "stuff"as stars. Given this fact then life should be abundant in the cosmos. We are not special, life is the inevitable consequence of complex chemistry.

Fennario

#209941 Feb 1, 2014
mtimber wrote:
So these rational ethics of humanism, are those that you measure God as imperfect with?
If by "God" you mean the character in the Christian bible, then yes, one measure of its imperfection is its morality. Another is in its description in self-contradictory terms. Another is the book it is said to have authored, which is filled with stories of its mistakes and failures.
mtimber wrote:
As these fig leaves are subjective at best, how can you use them as an absolute standard?
I'll let you guess what my answer to that is. I'll bet you have no idea.
mtimber wrote:
To make a moral judgement requires an absolute standard upon which to make that judgement.
You're wrong. I use evolving standards, although some may be in their final form or near final form. And they are relative to one another. Although honesty is a virtue, lying can be the more moral choice in some circumstances.

Fennario

#209942 Feb 1, 2014
mtimber wrote:
So you are caught in a contradiction. On the one hand you claim there are no absolute moral standards, on the other hand you appeal to an absolute moral standard.
Nope. I appeal to relative moral standards.
mtimber wrote:
This betrays the fact that you do not live according to your professes worldview. If you did you would have no means by which to claim immorality on Gods behalf.
I just did. Based on my evolving, relative and anthropogenic moral standards, I conclude that your god as depicted in your bible is less moral than either of us.
mtimber wrote:
To do that you have to use the concept of absolute morality, which betrays the fact that you do live in Gods universe and not the pretend atheistic universe you claim to live in.
Actually, you live in a pretend universe which you imagine was made and is ruled by a particular god, and you imagine me in another pretend universe in which I invoke absolute moral standards and contradict myself.

Location hidden

#209943 Feb 1, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly why there is no absolute moral standard.
Get it?
Then you declaration of human rights is not absolute and is reduced in status to one groups opinion among others which are equally valid? Agree or disagree and why?

Fennario

#209944 Feb 1, 2014
mtimber wrote:
Such lofty claims, yet the very fact you appeal to absolute moral positions whilst denying they exist reveals the truth of your claims...
Your perseveration and your inability to learn simple concepts presented in plain English demonstrate the extent of your faith-induced psychopathology. You don't belong in philosophical discussions. You have nothing to offer, and are incapable of profiting from others. You just repeat yourself.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#209945 Feb 1, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Try the 10 Commandments.
That God revealed in person.
Which is also displayed as a living reality in the life of Jesus Christ.
Your totally worthless 10 Commandments, the first three which deal ONLY with your God sense of vanity.

Honoring anyone is the result of trust and respect, it's not something automatic.......worthless

5.) Is certainly a good one, though I don't need a commandment to tell me raping and killing my neighbors daughter is wrong......worthless, same with stealing and lying, especially if it causes harm.

Notice what are not listed in the 10 Commandments. Instead of commandments dealing with your self inflated egotistical God, the first three, how about replacing those with rules against Rape, child abuse, and unnecessary cruelty.

Never thinking of children your god, he prefers to murder them, what a prick!!!

“e pluribus unum”

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#209946 Feb 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
We can extrapolate a basic idea of when Adam existed, based on genealogy reports in the Bible.
We cannot use the Bible to estimate the age of the earth. There is no telling how much time passed between Genesis 1:1 and the creation of Adam.
If you even believe the time based on the genealogy figures, you're just plain numb from the neck up.

Location hidden

#209947 Feb 1, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
If by "God" you mean the character in the Christian bible, then yes, one measure of its imperfection is its morality.
That assumes Biblical God is subject to the same morality imposed on His creation. Does an artist have a right to destroy his paintings? Is a judge committing murder when a person is sentenced to death? Again you are selective in your facts. Canaanites, for example, were provided 400+ years to turn things around and did not. That was a grace period.

Fennario

#209948 Feb 1, 2014
mtimber wrote:
You asked for 5, I pointed you to 10. I am not sure why you would consider that a failure? If you want to be pedantic, take the first 5 commandments.
He also asked you to define absolute moral standard which you refused to do.

You then gave commandments that are highly subjective in their interpretation as examples of absolute moral values, so we are forced to guess what you consider absolute and how those exemplify the concept.

When is the sabbath and how does one keep it holy? There seem to be multiple answers to this.

What constitutes a graven image or taking your god's name in vain. Is a crucifix around the neck an exception? Is praying to your god to cause your team to win the Superbowl taking its name in vain? There are also any number of interpretations of this "absolute" moral standard as well.

What does it mean to honor your parents? Does it mean to obey them? Praise them? Absolute means that if they say to kill yourself, you must honor that request without reservation and without exception.

Didn't Jesus make several of the "absolute" moral standards of the Old Testament obsolete? That makes them relative.

Your claim that these ideas are absolute moral standards in any sense of the word "absolute" is nonsense.

Fennario

#209949 Feb 1, 2014
mtimber wrote:
Do you believe it is absolutely morally wrong to lie?
As an atheist you cannot claim that position.
Therefore your testimony is refuted on that alone.
Also, God has made it clear that you do know and He cannot lie.
So I reject your claim on both grounds.
1. You cannot be trusted to tell the truth.
2. God can be trusted.
The promises attributed to your god than can be tested have never been kept.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's teapot

#209950 Feb 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"I'm awesome and I know it."
-The Scar
<Ar Ar> "....I really wish I was someone I'm not"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 17 min SoE 48,824
News Louisiana Christians reclaim safe space by runn... 2 hr Eagle 12 5
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 3 hr Thinking 21,886
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr Aura Mytha 23,562
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 4 hr Into The Night 5,711
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 6 hr Scaritual 78
News In defense of faith 8 hr IB DaMann 7
More from around the web