Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#209647 Feb 1, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Why don't you guys all get together, find a really dry region and have a group prayer. Pray your asses off for rain. God answers prayer right? He performs all kinds of miracles, so pray really hard and..........swish,,,,..//// there your rain. Just don't ask for to much, he just might give that 40 days of rain bullshit LOL.

Yes I remember now, you're the anti-love person. You don't consider two people in love and wanting the same advantages that you have, as valid. Got it...feel the Christian love and compassion!!!!!! Phony!!!!
Texas tried that.

And things only got worse.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#209648 Feb 1, 2014
Seraphima wrote:
Hello...
Hello.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#209649 Feb 1, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>Prove it, absolutely.
It is the only world view that actually makes any sense.

It is the only worldview where God has manifested himself to humanity.

God has provided every evidence required through the study of Scripture which reveals Jesus Christ as the Son of God.

He has also giving you the internal witness of logic and sense of morality, you have more than sufficient evidence the problem is that you do not wish to accept the evidence because that will mean changing the way you live your life.

The problem is your sinfulness not the lack of evidence.

Because of that you will consistently reject any evidence no matter how logical and sound it is.

It is not a matter of evidence it is a matter of warfare, you are at war with God, you are rebelling against him and that is why you will not accept any evidence or argument in His favour and you will avoid anything that even remotely seems to point to the evidence as a reality.

Location hidden

#209650 Feb 1, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>Prove it.
Does absolute morality exist?

If you say no then everything is acceptable and if you say yes then you have to account for which it's existence, which you can't as an atheist.

So you are caught in a logical contradiction. Displaying the fact that you do not God exists. That are absolute moral standards, which you cannot account for, but have to deny to maintain your facade.

Your own contradiction is the evidence.

Atheism is nothing more than a fairy tale.

A place you to hide from reality.

Location hidden

#209651 Feb 1, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>He didn't get it out of the Creation Handbook of what questions to ask and answers to keep repeating like a computer program.

Are you a live human or just a computer program. You sound like a machine. With utterly random quotes being generated. No wonder you don't have a heart.
Do you have a reasoned argument to offer?

Location hidden

#209652 Feb 1, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Boy you really are a snake aren't you. You take one of the most important human values, not doing harm to others, and try and play both ends against the middle. There are NO moral absolutes, never has been and never will be, but there are principals that almost all human societies agree on, and doing harm to others falls under principal. That Christianity also considers harming others as wrong, only reaffirm's one of the most important principals of the "Golden Rule." A guideline for humanity that existed way before your ridiculous 10 Commandments, many of which deal with the vanity of your God.

Groups of people decide what is moral, not God. And since various societies are different we end up with various moral codes.

Mankind has been on the planet for approximately 200,000 years, your God has only made himself known (to ignorant shepherds, and superstitious desert dwellers) within the last 2,000 years. Ever wonder how mankind survives for 198,000 years without Christianity's moral code. They should have torn each other to shreds without any moral direction.
Number one why should harm be the most important moral standard what measurement are you using to come to this conclusion?

You're making claims about absolute moral standards whilst denying you are making that claim and giving no basis for your claim.

You argue that morality is a consensus, which creates an interesting predicament for you.

Is there was a consensus that Christian morality was the true morality would you accept that consensus?

If morality is something you vote on, then if you had lived in Germany during the persecution of the Jewish people, during the Second World War, you would be morally obligated to persecute those Jews do you understand your own argument?

Location hidden

#209653 Feb 1, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>Only tards believe in creation myths.
Do you have faith that nonlife created life that nonlife created mind?

If you do then you just condemned yourself...

Location hidden

#209654 Feb 1, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I, personally can condemn child molestation, so can you, and the guy next door, and the group of people down the street. When enough of us determine that child molestation is wrong, we proceed to stop it from happening.

What a sorry excuse you are for a human, that we wouldn't know instinctively that child molestation was wrong without your religious codes speaks to the poisoning that religion does to someone. That I,as an Atheist, would consider child molestation acceptable just because I don't belong to the same club as you is disgusting. WTF is wrong with you?

People care about others period, they don't need a book of rules to tell them harming someone is not a good idea, that my actions affect others, my right to swing my fists stops at your nose. Caring for each other or at least limiting the harm to others promotes wellbeing.
How can you condemn it, upon what moral basis do you condemn it is wrong?

By basis of vote?

So if enough people vote that it is acceptable you will practice it?

Some societies have practiced child molestation as part of their societies whims, according to your argument that is okay?

Would you have joined in?

Location hidden

#209655 Feb 1, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>mtimber acts like he is a member of a very rich society of snobs that wouldn't spit on you if you were dying of thirst and has his nose ten feet in the air and looking down on the rest of society, Just the fact that he is trying very hard to make all others here appear beneath him means he is headed for a fall.

We know that the most loving and caring people don't need religion to tell them what is wrong or right. It is hard wired into us. Oh, I know there are exceptions, but the majority of humans have the code of conduct built in.
So you have absolute morality wired into you?

I can understand the argument because it is the Christian argument, we have a sense of morality because we are created in the image of God, despite the effects of sin on us.

But where do you get this notion from as an atheist?

How can it be built in and how can you have a moral standard built in if you are nothing but the result of a few rocks that decided to come together one day and create life?

Location hidden

#209656 Feb 1, 2014
scaritual wrote:
Guess what?

You've provided no evidence or proof to back those claims. It's conjecture.

mtimber wrote, "As to your moral argument, where do you get an absolute moral standard with which to define morality with?
It certainly isn't atheism...
"

Deal with the claims you made above concerning your mythic deity in the first portion - by establishing that as being a literal reality - then we can move on to your question.
There is sufficient evidence and proof, you will not accept them, you have already precluded them from the conversation through your own bias.

You have a precommitment to a universe where God cannot exist.

You reveal this in every argument you make against the existence of God.

You are not impartial because you are at war with God, your behaviour is consistent with this analysis.

Location hidden

#209657 Feb 1, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>The God you are speaking in behalf of, makes child molestation look relatively harmless considering his actions against children. Murdering babies is not very becoming of a god now is it, nor is destroying fetuses by the thousands. It's clear that the morality that Atheists possess is considerably greater than the god you worship and speak in behalf of. I find that kind of comical, don't you?.........No I guess you wouldn't find it very funny, embarrassing maybe, but not funny.
So you are against abortion?

Location hidden

#209658 Feb 1, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>If there were a story where a king ordered a man to kill his son, and the man was willing to do it, we would consider both the king and the man to be monsters, lacking morals.

But change the king to God and the man to Abraham, and many of these believers suddenly find it a wonderful tale of morality.

Go figure.
You confuse the figure of forced sacrifice with self-sacrifice.

Your analogy has no strength.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#209659 Feb 1, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
Er, um...hormone levels in the blood? Ever heard of that?
Emotions are all accompanied with hormones.
They can be measured.
You lose.
Ya sure, your hormone level can be measured.

Emotions aren't hormones, though.

You said so yourself.

Location hidden

#209660 Feb 1, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, mtimber is gone for the night. He always runs when people point out that he doesn't even understand his own arguments...
I have a need to sleep...

My apologies if you find it inconvenient.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#209661 Feb 1, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
You've not presented anything - evidence wise - that illustrates your deity did that, or anything for that matter.
Once you do, then you might be able to argue your position.
Are you close to that point?
As far as the science of the day, yeah, we're getting closer.
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/05/rib...
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/03/mut...
http://www.washington.edu/news/2013/07/29/nat...
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/01/liv...
I'm gonna guess you don't have anything even remotely similar to the above links that show what humans are doing, showing how your deity did anything to begin life, except for the myth in your religious book.
Religious creation/origins myths are a dime a dozen.
If a deity did it, my money is on PANGU.
He's way better than your deity, and has a name.
http://www.cultural-china.com/chinaWH/html/en...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangu
BTW, he's dead and never asked to be worshiped while alive.
Or so the story goes...
And all this time I thought you were an atheist.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#209662 Feb 1, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
That's not a painting of your alleged god.
It's a depiction of God and Adam.

To you, that's evidence.

Location hidden

#209663 Feb 1, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>To mtimber:

Christian, I think.

He certainly has won the respect and affection of just about the whole thread.

What more does one need to witness to appreciate the stultifying effect of faith in some people? Satisfied that all answers lie in faith, that one stopped learning and thinking long ago.
You expect me to be popular when I oppose your position?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#209664 Feb 1, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
Your personal "god" has a name
No He doesn't.

That's why we call Him "God".

Location hidden

#209665 Feb 1, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>Good luck with that. You might as well ask the Magic 8-Ball.

@ mtimber - thank your church and its fine contribution to your intellectual development for the contempt you receive in this thread. You trusted the wrong people and threw your mind away for them just as they intended you to do. Now you argue like you're brain damaged in its service. Did they thank you for that?
You obviously consider my discussion morally reprehensible in some way, upon what moral basis do you condemn it?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#209666 Feb 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Emotions can't be observed, measured, predicted or tested.
You know what those four steps are?
Aerobatty wrote:

Every one of those things can be done.
What planet are you from?
Am.....I....... just supposed to take your word at it?

o.O

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 10 min 15th Dalai Lama 83,074
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 11 min Wisdom of Ages 2,564
High School Atheism Nov 14 Reason Personified 3
Reasoning with Insanity (Jun '16) Nov 14 Reason Personified 106
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Nov 14 Eagle 12 - 3,988
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... (May '17) Nov 6 Frindly 1,175
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing Oct 24 xfrodobagginsx 1
More from around the web