Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#209426 Jan 31, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, ID is not as plausible as nothingdidit because you misrepresent nothing, you cannot even comprehend nothing so IDers opt for magic as an easy get out. i.e. it’s easier to guess that goddidt by magic than admit the truth that you don’t know.
That does not stop christians from lying, the whole of christianity (an many other religions) is built on lies, lies are an integral part of your life, so why not homosexuals? Honey, I would far rather have a decent meal and conversation with an honest homosexual than a lying christian any day of the week.
Say what? The science of goddidt by magic then raped a girl just to control people like you is not science. I believe we have had this discussion before and it seems that like a good christian you ignore the evidence and choose to go round and round again hoping for an answer that best suites your imagination. Science has been around far longer than christianity, Ancient Sumarians, Mesopotamians, Babylonians, even the Celts etc of northern Europe used scientific methods millennia before you guys chose to hijack it because it bigged up your self ego.
Nope, christianity strives to bring christians together, it strives to impose it’s will, often violently on those who do not wish to be christian
Teaches how to love other christians and hate everyone else, how to murder children, how to commit genocide, that slavery, rape and subjugation are all good god points.
Oh boy...

"Honey, I would far rather have a decent meal and conversation with an honest homosexual than a lying christian any day of the week."

YAY for you. Do you expect an award or something?

"The science of goddidt by magic then raped a girl"

Raped a girl? WTF are you babbling about now?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#209427 Jan 31, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
If it is impossible to prove that abiogenesis occurred even if it did, your requirement that it be proven is unreasonable. Under such circumstances, it is sufficient merely to show that it is possible.
And what is and isn't known to somebody with no background in science is not of much interest to scientists.
Nor are faith based objections to what is known. We know without doubt that the earth was once barren
<quoted text>
Also, your requirement that abiogenesis be demonstrated to you, but that you would reject that as evidence of abiogenesis is also absurd. You are requiring an impossible test of proof - natural abiogenesis, a multimillion year process that occurred in a low oxygen atmosphere earth in the absence of competing life to disturb the process.
What is especially obscene about that requirement is how little you need to believe to something that you want to believe - nothing at all.
All that is needed to dismiss your objections is to recognize what they are based on.
I wouldn't reject evidence of abiogenesis, I think it'd be cool as hell!

But there isn't any evidence of abiogenesis, so...

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#209428 Jan 31, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!
Oh, man…sorry. Its just that…
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHA!
"Christianity founded science."
Dude, the list of stupid things you've been saying lately just keeps growing….
I should've wrote "modern" science.

And medicine.

Isaac Newton, Kepler, Copernicus,Tycho Brahe, Galileo, Boyle, Haller, Euler and Vesalius were all Christians.

The Vatican Observatory is one of the oldest astronomical institutes in the world.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#209429 Jan 31, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
Thanks, man.
Anytime.

I'm here as a pubic service.

“Servant of Lord Krishna”

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#209430 Jan 31, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The Vatican Observatory is one of the oldest astronomical institutes in the world.
BTW: Science was already enlisted in the Vedas which are the oldest . Vedas gave lot more to the world than culture and religion. Since the Christians were unaware they started from a clean slate and did great progress yet worthless as they are disregarding God over Big Bang.
Certainly Bangs create explosion, and explosions lead to destruction not Creation!!

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#209431 Jan 31, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I should've wrote "modern" science.
And medicine.
Isaac Newton, Kepler, Copernicus,Tycho Brahe, Galileo, Boyle, Haller, Euler and Vesalius were all Christians.
Keep back pedaling, RR…LOL

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#209432 Jan 31, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
In medieval times, the age of consent was about 12. Girls were often married at that age.
For example King John's wife Isabella of Angouleme:
https://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki1...
http://womenshistory.about.com/od/rulers/p/Is...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabella_of_Ango...
It still seems obscene to me, even tho I try to see it in the context of the time.
.. in most ancient cultures, a girl's first menses signaled the right of passage from child to adult ..

.. in Judaism, you have the Bar and Bat Mitzvah, in some African cultures, circumcision ..

.. in Western culture, kids have their own puberty rights like sex, drugs or gangs because society no longer has a way of measuring the transition ..

.. we need a new myth ..

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#209433 Jan 31, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Which real god?
How many do you have? Name them.

#209434 Jan 31, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I never agreed to it. Who agreed to it? Why?
The lion who eats the antelope didn't agree to it. Is he immoral? Why or why not?
Why should the lion get a pass and I don't?
In case you didn't know this, morality is about HUMAN behavior, not the behavior of lions.

And morality is also about choices, and lions don't have a choice in the matter. You do.

And I can understand why you don't like the concept of "don't harm others" as a starting point for a philosophy of morality. You LIKE to hurt people. You have said so on many occasions.

And YES Buck, I think you are an immoral person...based on my concept of morality.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#209435 Jan 31, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:

All you've "explained" is that DNA didn't exist until it was named and E=MC2 proves God can't be omnipotent.
I laugh at the superior intellect.....
ChristineM wrote:
This is correct and butter did not exist as butter until it was named butter
Ahh thanks for admitting that I have explained that E=MC^2 shows that gods cannot be omnipotent. I believe this I the first time you have lowered yourself to such a conclusion
Yes dumbos often do, it’s a side effect of the dunning kruger effect
You took that as a compliment?

LMMFAOOOOO!!!!!

With Established Harem

#209436 Jan 31, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
ID is as plausible as nothingdidit.
Christianity considers homosexual acts to be sinful, just as much a lying is sinful.
Christianity founded science.
Christianity strives to bring everyone together.
Christianity teaches many useful things.
.. for me, all religions are based on the fear of the unknown be it thunder, lightening, death or hell ..

.. saying genocide, rape and slavery is God's love doesn't correlate ..

.. Islam is spread through fear and violence, right? So, is Christianity a pacifist religion? If you investigate what's happening in Africa today, you might discover similar tactics. For some people, hell is a great motivator ..

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#209437 Jan 31, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
This is correct and butter did not exist as butter until it was named butter
HAHAHA!!!!

So the spread dairy product didn't exist until someone called it "butter".

You're afucking genius.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#209438 Jan 31, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
No.

But I'd discipline it.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#209439 Jan 31, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:

There's a painting of God on the Sistine Chapel.

This counts as evidence to you.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Creation_of_Adam

With Established Harem

#209440 Jan 31, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure proving even the possibility of abiogenesis is necessary to current theorizing.
It is assumed. That's a lower standard than "possible".
It is the lowest "possible" standard.
A possible exception would be to accept an impossible occurrence.
The Darwinist would do that, too, if necessary. They accept a whale lineage which is impossible.
.. even if abiogenesis is proven, somewhere in the process, a Divine being may have scripted humans. ET anyone ??..

#209441 Jan 31, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you understand that the exact conditions of early earth are unknown? What they've come up with is speculation only, an educated guess.
You talk out of both sides of your mouth, spouting whatever you think supports your argument. First you say that scientists have not yet produce life in a lab...and that proves it can't be done. Then you say the above yet expect scientists to already have produced life.

Your brain is broken.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
It is believed that this planet used to be barren, that is not known for certain.
No theory in science is known to be "certain". There is always the slim chance that contradicting evidence will come to light. But the nature of the very early Earth is about as certain as anything in science. The gravitational collapse of the interstellar dust cloud would have produced tremendous heat.

How, you might ask, do we know this happened. Well, for one thing, we can see it happening today in regions of space such as the Eagle Nebula.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
If, and I strongly say IF, scientists are able to create life in any way, they are only proving that life needs to be created. They will be providing the exact, perfect conditions for life to be created. It is possible that God did much the same thing, only on a much larger scale. They won't be showing that life can arise spontaneously, as the laboratory experiment will be perfectly calibrated and calculated (not random chance).
A very disingenuous argument. If scientists produce life in a lab, using natural processes, then that proves life can arise from natural processes...not that life must be created. By your argument, if scientists create frozen water in a lab, that proves frozen water must be created. A stupid, stupid argument.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#209442 Jan 31, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
Which Mr1000socks?
The one that made you laugh by saying "Technology does not exit"...

With Established Harem

#209443 Jan 31, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The Iliad isn't Zeus' bible.
Zeus has no bible.
Comparing the Iliad to the Bible is an argument from ignorance.
.. really ??..

.. did you know that some portions of The Iliad have now been ascertained ??..

.. historical fiction ..

#209444 Jan 31, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
If it is impossible to prove that abiogenesis occurred even if it did, your requirement that it be proven is unreasonable. Under such circumstances, it is sufficient merely to show that it is possible.
And what is and isn't known to somebody with no background in science is not of much interest to scientists.
Nor are faith based objections to what is known. We know without doubt that the earth was once barren
<quoted text>
Also, your requirement that abiogenesis be demonstrated to you, but that you would reject that as evidence of abiogenesis is also absurd. You are requiring an impossible test of proof - natural abiogenesis, a multimillion year process that occurred in a low oxygen atmosphere earth in the absence of competing life to disturb the process.
What is especially obscene about that requirement is how little you need to believe to something that you want to believe - nothing at all.
All that is needed to dismiss your objections is to recognize what they are based on.
Not just a low oxygen atmosphere, but a NO oxygen atmosphere. Oxygen is one of the most reactive elements. All of the oxygen would have been bound into various compounds such as iron oxide (rust), carbon dioxide and silicon dioxide (sand and quartz).

The only reason we have free oxygen in the atmosphere today is that living organisms are constantly producing it.

#209445 Jan 31, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible is not all myth. Some parts are pretty well authenticated.
I don't think any of the Iliad story has been authenticated.
Once again, you don't know what you're talking about.
That parts of a story have been authenticated does not keep the whole from being a myth.

The city of Troy actually existed, authenticating part of the Iliad. And Troy was destroyed, authenticating another part. The Iliad is still a myth.

Just as the Bible is a myth.

I think we have just seen that you don't know what you are talking about.:P

BTW...for someone that is not a Christian, you certainly are quick to jump to its defense. If you think the Bible is not a myth, why aren't you a Christian?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Aura Mytha 83,111
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 20 hr Science 2,565
High School Atheism Nov 14 Reason Personified 3
Reasoning with Insanity (Jun '16) Nov 14 Reason Personified 106
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Nov 14 Eagle 12 - 3,988
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... (May '17) Nov 6 Frindly 1,175
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing Oct 24 xfrodobagginsx 1
More from around the web