Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258484 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#209075 Jan 29, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
I find that responding to mtimber is still productive. His cognitive deficits and their relationship to his faith become the subject of discussion
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
What you say to mtimber will have no effect on him. He is impervious. But they will show others the intellectual vacuity of his position.
While I would pleased to help him or any other faith based thinker, I don't know how, and we rarely do - any of us. So, we post for other reasons. We post to those who can benefit from evidence and cogent argument, since we have nothing else to offer.

: "If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove they should value it? If someone doesn’t value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" - Sam Harris

Fennario

#209076 Jan 29, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. mtimberagast wants his reader to have a total shift of consciousness after reading his posts .. if he asks a question enough times, he thinks you might be swayed by the power of suggestion and start believing something is wrong with the way you think.. you're better off trying to understand your reaction to such irritating questions ..
I can't be sure that he isn't nineties software. He seems lifeless and monotonic to me.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#209077 Jan 29, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You can draw in the dirt with a stick.
Yes I'm sure thats the extent of your scientific knowledge, although I'm sure you must be joking as no one could possibly be that stupid.

Since you have failed to show any alternative method to science for determining that which is real, then I'll gladly accept your concession, and understand that you understand perfectly that science IS the ONLY methodology in determining the real from that which is only imagined.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#209078 Jan 29, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand that's what some people believe, I just cant understand why.
The genealogies in Matthew trace the lineage from Adam to Jesus, they do not tell the age of the earth.
To think that they do is pure supposition.
If you can define the age of Adam you can define the age of Earth, but only by flawed biblical reasoning. Note flawed, you will insist to be such, and we will define you as such flawed biblical reasoning..
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#209079 Jan 29, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Provide evidence that Muslim society's acceptance of child marriage and pederasty comes from their religious beliefs.
Go.
Easy, the Qur'an sites the age of marriage for a young girl to be the age of puberty, and proclaims that age to be 15. However it is argued in the Qur'an that the age of puberty cannot be fixed at 15 since many young girls reach the age of puberty before 15.

The Prophet Muhammed took a girl, and I mean TOOK, of 9 years old for his wife, he also married a 6 year old and consummated the marriage when she was 9 years old. Most little girls of 9 years of age are still playing with dolls not having sex with a man 7 or more times older than she. Religion does poison everything!!!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#209080 Jan 29, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Child marriage and pederasty are tolerated in Muslim societies.
Discuss away.
They find it moral.
I know child marriage is considered moral, after all it's sanctioned in the Qur'an, but show me were pederasty is considered moral.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#209081 Jan 29, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Again, observing a thing's effects is not observing a thing.
Observe a wake all you want, that won't tell you much about the boat.
<quoted text>
Nope. You're assuming it was a boat that caused the wake because you know that boats cause wakes.
You did not witness the boat causing the wake.
You're doing what science does, you're filling in the blanks because you must have an answer.
The wake might've been caused by a whale.
it could be a natural phenomenon.
You don't know.
But you "know" it was a boat....
I'm willing to bet you are incapable of an honest answer to this question..........We are sitting in a boat and suddenly turn around and see a wake, we didn't hear anything, but there it is, a wake. Now I wager $10,000 dollars it was caused by a boat, would you wager $10,000 that it wasn't?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#209082 Jan 29, 2014
Echo_of_the_times wrote:
<quoted text>
We baptists believe the world is 6-9,000 years old, however the genealogy of Matthew shows the impossibility of the world being any younger that that.
Then you Baptists are mentally ill and need immediate psychological help. You do realize that the scientific evidence overwhelmingly shows the Earth to vastly older than 6-9,000 years old. You reject scientific facts because it is in conflict with your beliefs, thats referred to as being WILLFULLY IGNORANT.

I love to see posts like this as it is a reaffirmation as to how religious beliefs poison everything, in this case it has poisoned your mind, and I'm sure you are passing on this poison to your children. There really should be a law against withholding factual information from children and substituting unsupported, and willfully ignorant religious ideas. It really does amount to a form of child abuse, and you and anyone else guilty of this should be punished just as any other person who abuses a child. Shameful!!!

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#209083 Jan 29, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. tell that to the kid being bullied and battered in the schoolyard for being different ..
.. unfortunately, you can't tell that to Carlos Vigil ..
http://www.advocate.com/youth/2013/07/16/gay-...
What a sad story.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#209084 Jan 29, 2014
<quoted text>
With all due respect to Riverside Redneck:
A dog know what to do with evidence like a scent or a sound. Why don't you?
What would we say about somebody that came to this place without religious indoctrination? If faith does this to a mind, does it not deserve to be considered a mental disease the way schizophrenia is? This degree of separation from native reasoning is simply neither normal nor healthy.
Love Sam Harris's analogy, "If I prayed over my morning pancakes hoping to turn them into Elvis, I would be considered totally insane, but if I do the same thing with a cracker in Church, then I'm just a Catholic"

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#209085 Jan 29, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I know because you described him in terms ludicrously inaccurate.
You either know nothing, or lied about it.
I don't care which.
There is a troubling pattern among atheists - character assassination of dissenters.
I would have nothing against TV preachers if they ever did anything for the people they preach to except take their money. They sit in their mansions and live the life of a king, and for what? They wouldn't spit on you if you were dying of thirst.

I have always advocated that if someone wants to send money to a religious establishment, give it to your local church which may actually help you in time of a real need.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#209086 Jan 29, 2014
<quoted text>
With all due respect to Riverside Redneck:
A dog know what to do with evidence like a scent or a sound. Why don't you?
What would we say about somebody that came to this place without religious indoctrination? If faith does this to a mind, does it not deserve to be considered a mental disease the way schizophrenia is? This degree of separation from native reasoning is simply neither normal nor healthy.
What I don't understand, is how any reasonable person can equate the bent over taking it position to the missionary position.

Just that one simple point makes this whole issue moot. There is nothing anyone can say to dismiss the power of that truth, which is why the response is always a personal attack.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#209087 Jan 29, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
What I don't understand, is how any reasonable person can equate the bent over taking it position to the missionary position.
Just that one simple point makes this whole issue moot. There is nothing anyone can say to dismiss the power of that truth, which is why the response is always a personal attack.
You've obviously had a really boring sex life if you've limited yourself to the "missionary" position...

My condolences, truly.

Fennario

#209088 Jan 29, 2014
KiMare wrote:
What I don't understand, is how any reasonable person can equate the bent over taking it position to the missionary position. Just that one simple point makes this whole issue moot. There is nothing anyone can say to dismiss the power of that truth
Thou are indeed filled with the spirit of a god.,

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#209089 Jan 29, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Your sex life must be very dull.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#209090 Jan 29, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
You've obviously had a really boring sex life if you've limited yourself to the "missionary" position...
My condolences, truly.
GMTA

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#209091 Jan 29, 2014
<quoted text>
Thou are indeed filled with the spirit of a god.,
Verily.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#209092 Jan 29, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually the flight of bumblebees (and many other insects) has been explained for a long time. The turbulence created by their four wings creates increased lift unavailable to two winged creatures like bats and birds.
It is a popular myth though.
Was it the bumblebee I was thinking of? Humming bird maybe? I swear there was something that aerodynamically had no business being able to fly. I can't remember for the life if me. Maybe it was the bumblebee I was thinking of

Location hidden

#209093 Jan 29, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Myth that science can not explain the flight of bumblebees.
Early models of flight could not explain the flight of the bumblebee. That has since changed with improved, more complete models.
That is the nature of science, progressing with its understanding.
This is something that theists often don't get, the progressive nature of science. And it is something that religion is completely lacking. The idea of religion is that it got it right the first time, and never changes that view even when the evidence says it was wrong.
I think you are reading too much into how I view science

I simply haven't kept abreast of the study of bumblebees! I am fine with it if science has figured it out

Location hidden

#209094 Jan 29, 2014
<quoted text>
You might find this of interest. It's the kind of thing that I have liked as both a kid and an adult.
Thursday (January 30th) is a new moon day, but a particularly interesting one. It is very rare for a month to have no new moon in it. February of this year will be such a February:
New moon - January 1, 2014 - 04:15:02 AM
New moon - January 30, 2014 - 02:40:35 PM
New moon - March 1, 2014 - 01:02:41 AM
New moon - March 30, 2014 -11:48:06 AM
February is the only month that can have no new (or no full) moon, since the lunar month ranges from 29 days, 6 hours and 35 minutes to 29 days, 19 hours and 55 minutes, the average being 29 days, 12 hours and 44 minutes. This means that any month of 30 or 31 days - all of them except February - must contain at least one new moon, and only months of 29 or fewer might not have one.
The only way to miss February is to have new moons just before it starts (January 30th or 31st) and one just after it ends (March 1st or 2nd). When that happens, both January and March get two new moons, as is the case this year.
An even rarer event is having no new moon in a February in a leap year - a 29 day month. For that to occur, the new moons must come late in the day on a January 31st and early in the day of the following March 1st. That won't happen again until 2572
That was pretty cool

Thanks for sharing it

I had a telescope when I was a kid. It probably didn't cost $300 but I spent quite a few hours on that thing. We used to have a cottage up north in a private complex that had 3 golf courses. Out place was right they the woods on the 4th hole and it was a big hill that you teed off from. Anyway, me and my buddy used to take it out there. And yeah we did some scoping out of houses looking for girls too (probably had seen one to many movies!) but checking out the stars and moon with it was pretty cool.

I always like knowing stuff that involves events that rarely happen. Not only I like it because most people wouldn't know it and its interesting but to me anyway, it shows a real order to things. Man gets so caught up in his own stuff but the universe is always doing its thing too

(T) Peace

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) 7 min blacklagoon 3 41
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 10 min Simon 79,797
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 21 hr Science 32,576
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) Sep 16 blacklagoon 3 91
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Sep 15 xfrodobagginsx 101
News Atheist billboards to mock Romney, Obama faith (Aug '12) Sep 15 superwilly 47
what science will NEVER be able to prove Sep 15 Me _ Myself _ I 8
More from around the web