Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 257153 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#209034 Jan 29, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just following your logic...or lack thereof. It is not my position.
It is your position, as I understand it, that direct observation is required and that secondary effects are meaningless. Ergo, finding a fingerprint at a crime scene doesn't mean anything in this view. By your statements, it is not an indication that a person was there. Only that a fingerprint exists. This follows directly from your wake/boat example.
So it is not me, but you, that is making this claim. Unless you want to rethink your position concerning observations.
No.

I said we can match the found fingerprint to a person.

What happens when the fingerprint database does to match it to a person?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#209035 Jan 29, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
We know that black holes exist.
We know God exists.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#209036 Jan 29, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Further evidence of the poison that religious belief cause. It is apparently moral for that religion, we don't have to agree that it is moral according to our society, there are simply NO moral absolutes. I'm waiting for you to site your immoral holy book, I'm ready..........
Provide evidence that Muslim society's acceptance of child marriage and pederasty comes from their religious beliefs.

Go.
Jim

London, UK

#209037 Jan 29, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't harm others?
Who says?
Why is that a morality everyone must accept? Because you say so?
Where did you get that, and why is it better than some other standard to start with?
Who says its better? Why is it better?
Here is an ex-convict Creationist Cult Member trying to tell Atheists about morality.
Jim

London, UK

#209038 Jan 29, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
HA HA!!!!
First DNA, now bumblebees?!
Maybe there was a time when bumblebees existed but had no DNA.....
DNA is found in every living thing. We don't expect idiots to know this sort of stuff.

Just go away thinking everything is made of sand and the moon is made of cheese. This is appropriate for your mental level of understanding.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#209039 Jan 29, 2014
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone does live for oneself.......
.. not really ..

.. my life is dedicated to ensuring the safety of a child, rescuing animals, harassing homophobic born-again fundamentalists and finding provocative outfits for River Tam to wear ..

.. and, yours ??..
Jim

London, UK

#209040 Jan 29, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You can draw in the dirt with a stick.
And thats why everyone laughs at Creationists.

Its simply embarrassing to believe the earth is 3000 years old, when even a 5 year old can correct you by showing you a fossil.
Jim

London, UK

#209041 Jan 29, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
Pointless questions from the gutless wonder with no evidence of god to speak of.

“Proud Member”

Since: Dec 10

The Basket of Deplorables

#209042 Jan 29, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
We know that black holes exist.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
We know God exists.
You think god is a black hole?
christINSANITY is EVIL

Fergus, Canada

#209043 Jan 29, 2014
<quoted text>
Everyone does live for oneself.......
You don't have any children obviously..

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#209044 Jan 29, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. not really ..
.. my life is dedicated to ensuring the safety of a child, rescuing animals, harassing homophobic born-again fundamentalists and finding provocative outfits for River Tam to wear ..
.. and, yours ??..
There is a reward for everything you do. Or you wouldn't do it.

My life is dedicated to keeping you in line, Catcher uncomfortable and convincing River Tam to play for the other team.........

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#209045 Jan 29, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I blame your parents.
You have no sense of distinction. The argument is not about a source. It is whether society can function without morals being valued as objective.
Well, one can blame the parents, but then, the parents are also likely infected with religion.

Yes, but it seems that all the other theists are arguing that morals are absolute.

So give us an opinion for once, rather than just stirring up trouble. What do you think the source of morality is? Is it objective...that is, it has a definite source outside oneself? Or is it subjective...something we decide for ourselves?

I would say that all people decide about morality for themselves. It is just people like mtimber have decided to cede their moral decisions to someone else. Most likely, they base that decision on what they were taught as children...to obey authority in everything.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#209046 Jan 29, 2014
scaritual wrote:
That 25 million stat is misleading, since it includes newborns and children of new converts.
The number of actual new Christian converts per year runs around 2.5, worldwide, per year.
"In all, this sums up to an additional approximately 25.2 million new Christians annually. 22.7 million due to population growth and 2.5 million due to conversions."
Maybe you have data that shows otherwise.
I've got to point out, that Christianity must be feeling a bit desperate, in that it uses - new births - as part of its growth statistic.
Which inflates the number of 2.5 million per year of actual conversions, to <25 million>
I wish I could do that in my bank deposits.
"OH...BUT YOU SEE, I SHOULD HAVE 25,000,000 DOLLARS IN MY ACCOUNT...ONCE ALL THE MONEY I - <IMAGINE> - WILL BE THERE, ARRIVES"
Even if you're right about these numbers, you've just proven yourself wrong that Christianity is declining.

"2.5 million due to conversions"

Thank you for your cooperation.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#209047 Jan 29, 2014
Jim wrote:
DNA is found in every living thing. We don't expect idiots to know this sort of stuff.
You mean after DNA was discovered, right?

There are several of your Topix Atheist buddies that think DNA didn't exist until it was discovered.

Go whine at them....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#209048 Jan 29, 2014
Jim wrote:
And thats why everyone laughs at Creationists.
Its simply embarrassing to believe the earth is 3000 years old, when even a 5 year old can correct you by showing you a fossil.
What Creationist thinks the earth is 3,000 years old?

I've asked you that very question a dozen times and nary an answer.

And IANS had high hopes for you.....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#209049 Jan 29, 2014
Jim wrote:
Pointless questions from the gutless wonder with no evidence of god to speak of.
You need to avoid the tough questions, I understand.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#209050 Jan 29, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
You think god is a black hole?
No, Oprah isn't a god.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#209051 Jan 29, 2014
There is a reward for everything you do. Or you wouldn't do it.
My life is dedicated to keeping you in line, Catcher uncomfortable and convincing River Tam to play for the other team.........
River is attracted to feminine qualities so Catcher would be a great crossover for her.

They could decorate together and everything!

#209052 Jan 29, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't harm others?
Who says?
For me, I say. A lot of people agree with me in this philosophical position.
Buck Crick wrote:
Why is that a morality everyone must accept? Because you say so?
Have I ever said that is a philosophical position that I would force on everyone? No. As usual, you put words in others mouths.

I have been trying to argue that position, to convince others. It seems a very solid assumption, to me, on which to base your morality.
Buck Crick wrote:
Where did you get that, and why is it better than some other standard to start with?
Who says its better? Why is it better?
What standards have others stated? Other than "the Bible" I can't think of any. And the Bible is morally bankrupt book IMHO. Well, the OT is for sure. The NT has some good things to say, as long as one stays away from Paul.

Why do I feel my position to be superior to that of the Bible? Because the Bible rejects individualism and promotes authoritarianism. I consider individualism to be one of the highest ideals. The Bible bases its morality on authoritarianism. "Obey God" is its chief stricture.

Are you arguing that the Bible is a superior source of morality? Or do you have some other source in mind?

And why do you think "don't harm others" to be an inferior position morally? Because I said it?

#209053 Jan 29, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
Still arguing in circle, I see. Oh, well...CTRL-ALT-DEL.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 1 min Richardfs 396
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 6 min FedUp 21,422
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 34 min ATHEOI 10,373
What is of greater value for humanity: Chrisita... 59 min par five 451
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr River Tam 20,327
News A Strong Muslim Identity Is the Best Defense Ag... 3 hr Romantic Romeo 17
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) 5 hr ChristineM 557
More from around the web