Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#208790 Jan 29, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>.. again, you advert to children in an effort to prove your point. What's next, bestiality ??..

.. any admirable civilization requires moral standards. In the past, some societies sacrificed children to please their gods. That wasn't very copastetic, was it? The same logic applies to child molestation, we've evolved, eliminated rituals that harm the human tribe ..

.. pedophiles will probably always exist but when society discovers the behavior, the moral standards of that civilization will render judgement, no god required ..
You are missing the point, to evolve morally means a destination. A destination requires a standard...

Where do you get this standard from?

Location hidden

#208791 Jan 29, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>You're a troll.

You don't meet my standards for acceptable behavior. I have no reason to believe that you would cooperate in a dialog, so I have no obligation to treat you like anything but an annoying troll.
You are clearly labelling your own behaviour as you continually refuse to engage in any meaningful manner.

Location hidden

#208792 Jan 29, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>No.
So then, if morals are not absolute then child molestation is ok??

Location hidden

#208793 Jan 29, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>What part of "does not harm another" do you fail to understand?

Are you really this dense?
Why should that be an absolute moral standard?

You are merely expressing a subjective opinion...

Location hidden

#208794 Jan 29, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>So your God told Abraham to sacrifice his son Issac...and Abraham was just fine with that. Apparently Abraham thought that was moral since God ordered it.

Jephthah promised to sacrifice the first thing he saw when he got home. That turned out to be his daughter. And God made him keep his word.

Are these examples of your absolute morality?
You have failed to provide a basis for your morality, so your question has no meaning.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#208795 Jan 29, 2014
Sock Puppet Master wrote:
There might be a god, but if there is...he obviously doesn't care about any of us.
Nor has it made demands of us, nor asked us to pray to it, nor worship it. In my opinion, the words ascribed to gods just aren't of the quality that we would expect from such a magnificent being if it existed and had communicated with us.

Fennario

#208796 Jan 29, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I don't care. I don't spend my time debating religions or gods I don't believe in. You see, I'm not atheist.
I thought that you considered atheism and/or humanism religions. Was that somebody else?

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#208797 Jan 29, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> LOL Yeah, you sucked my contrabution dry.
More childish innuendo – as expected.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#208798 Jan 29, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Isn't it like bumblebees that science can't explain how they fly?
Science...meh. Bunch of slackers! I'm still wait for a cute to the common cold!
:)
Myth that science can not explain the flight of bumblebees.

Early models of flight could not explain the flight of the bumblebee. That has since changed with improved, more complete models.

That is the nature of science, progressing with its understanding.

This is something that theists often don't get, the progressive nature of science. And it is something that religion is completely lacking. The idea of religion is that it got it right the first time, and never changes that view even when the evidence says it was wrong.

#208799 Jan 29, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So who decides who has the correct moral position?
the only ones who can. People.

#208800 Jan 29, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Ad hom is attacking the person not the argument.
Not quite right. Ad hominems attack the argument by attacking the person. There is a difference there.

Fennario

#208802 Jan 29, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
I suppose nothing wrong with being a kid at heart so long as you still get the pleasure of adult things
You might find this of interest. It's the kind of thing that I have liked as both a kid and an adult.

Thursday (January 30th) is a new moon day, but a particularly interesting one. It is very rare for a month to have no new moon in it. February of this year will be such a February:

New moon - January 1, 2014 - 04:15:02 AM
New moon - January 30, 2014 - 02:40:35 PM
New moon - March 1, 2014 - 01:02:41 AM
New moon - March 30, 2014 -11:48:06 AM

February is the only month that can have no new (or no full) moon, since the lunar month ranges from 29 days, 6 hours and 35 minutes to 29 days, 19 hours and 55 minutes, the average being 29 days, 12 hours and 44 minutes. This means that any month of 30 or 31 days - all of them except February - must contain at least one new moon, and only months of 29 or fewer might not have one.

The only way to miss February is to have new moons just before it starts (January 30th or 31st) and one just after it ends (March 1st or 2nd). When that happens, both January and March get two new moons, as is the case this year.

An even rarer event is having no new moon in a February in a leap year - a 29 day month. For that to occur, the new moons must come late in the day on a January 31st and early in the day of the following March 1st. That won't happen again until 2572

#208803 Jan 29, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
What is your position?
If morality is a consensus of society then Hitler was justified.
Oh? Seems most of the world disagreed with Hitler. And Hitler lost that argument.

Even a lot of Germans didn't agree with Hitler. They were just too afraid to speak out.

And what part of "don't harm others" do you not understand? Apparently not much.

#208804 Jan 29, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Your argument fails because you have already claimed omniscience...
Where? Please quote where I claimed omniscience.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#208805 Jan 29, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
In no way, shape or form would any scientist agree with you and blacklagoon that DNA didn't exist before it was discovered.
It's one one the stupidest Topix Atheist! comments I've ever seen.
"AS FAR AS SCIENCE IS CONCERNED", DNA has existed for millions of years.
Long before it was discovered, it existed.
I thought that would get you obnoxious incredulity going and is a great indicator of what I was saying about your misrepresentation, misinterpretation and deliberate misunderstanding however was NOT what I said, I did say and I quote

“How can the existence of something be known before it is known to exist? It is rather paradoxical is it not?”

Note the known…

What you appear to be saying is that science is clairvoyant and what I was actually saying was that the “knowledge of its existence” was not known before it was known to exist.

And there is not a scientist in the world that would not agree that the “knowledge” of its existence did not exist before Watson and Crick discovered it in 1953

#208806 Jan 29, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You are missing the point, to evolve morally means a destination. A destination requires a standard...
Where do you get this standard from?
Evolution (of any sort) does not require a destination. Evolution merely means change.

As for a standard, we are constantly changing our standard as our understanding increases.

Why does there have to be a standard that we do not make for ourselves?

You are using unstated assumptions here. Ones I do not agree with.

#208807 Jan 29, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So then, if morals are not absolute then child molestation is ok??
Again, what part of "do not harm others" do you not get?

Your concept of morality seems to be very flawed, and not at all moral IMHO.

#208808 Jan 29, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You have failed to provide a basis for your morality, so your question has no meaning.
Again you fail to get "don't harm others". Are these words going in one ear and out the other?

Fennario

#208809 Jan 29, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
You and by extension other pro homosexuals keep attempting to link legal SSM with civil rights of Blacks. You have no choice but to stipulate it.
I don't think stipulate is the word you want here.

By the way, if people like me are pro-homosexual, what does that make people like you?
lightbeamrider wrote:
That is lame lame.Com paring sodomy with prayer because they are both behaviors when the former spreads incurable disease especially hit young men.
You seem to like to dictate what other people can think or compare. That must be frustrating.

Your inability to see the similarities between two things doesn't invalidate my observations. You are a man of faith, which limits what you can see.

Finally, many of us consider faith based thought a kind of disease - an infection of the reasoning faculty if you will. You may find that offensive, and I apologize if you do, but it remains the case that many people see it that way nevertheless:

From "Kathleen Taylor, Neuroscientist, Says Religious Fundamentalism Could Be Treated As A Mental Illness" at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/31/kath... :

"An Oxford University researcher and author specializing in neuroscience has suggested that one day religious fundamentalism may be treated as a curable mental illness.

“Someone who has for example become radicalised to a cult ideology -- we might stop seeing that as a personal choice that they have chosen as a result of pure free will and may start treating it as some kind of mental disturbance," Taylor said.“In many ways it could be a very positive thing because there are no doubt beliefs in our society that do a heck of a lot of damage."

It must be terrible seeing the kind of language that you are accustomed to seeing used to describe church outsiders now being used to describe faith itself. It probably doesn't seem fair.

Fennario

#208810 Jan 29, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Batman doesn't care about us.
Where is your evidence for that? You certainly won't convince somebody with faith that Batman loves us that he doesn't with or without evidence. Just try sometime.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 33 min Science 83,217
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 15 hr Dan78iel 3,989
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... Wed Science 2,576
High School Atheism Nov 14 Reason Personified 3
Reasoning with Insanity (Jun '16) Nov 14 Reason Personified 106
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... (May '17) Nov 6 Frindly 1,175
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing Oct 24 xfrodobagginsx 1
More from around the web