Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
First Prev
of 11371
Next Last

Since: Apr 08

Mission Viejo, CA

#1 Jul 18, 2009
Maybe, the Christians got it right on the God thing. What they didn't know that is there is intelligent life right and God manifested himself in another way than us.

And there is millions of our civilizations among this universe and millions of ways God revealed himslf to them

But see it was none of business to know how he did it. It is beyond our feeble little minds. Us humans think we are terminally unique. Guess what. We are not. We are little specks in the infinite, large cosmos.

Judged:

131

115

44

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Hello homo sapiens sapiens.”

Since: Mar 07

A galaxy near you.

#3 Jul 18, 2009
discocrisco wrote:
Maybe, the Christians got it right on the God thing. What they didn't know that is there is intelligent life right and God manifested himself in another way than us.
And there is millions of our civilizations among this universe and millions of ways God revealed himslf to them
But see it was none of business to know how he did it. It is beyond our feeble little minds. Us humans think we are terminally unique. Guess what. We are not. We are little specks in the infinite, large cosmos.
Then again, maybe they don't! What manifestations are you talking about anyway? Revelations....show proof of just one, just one.

I don't think I'm terribly unique and yes we are all tiny specks in a very large universe. What's your point? It's the cristians who think they are so special that they can walk on streets of gold for all eternity. When it comes to feeble minds, speak only for yourself.

Judged:

56

37

15

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Don't get me started”

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#4 Jul 18, 2009
Wattamoozie wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's look at the whole quote :
"The only problem with this rationalization is that itís assuming all athiests are so because theyíre intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Which we know just isnít true.
When someone says an atheist needs faith itís because they canít prove anything that happened millions and billions of years ago and more than a christian can prove Jesus did miracles. They donít really on ďproofĒ, they rely on rationalized theories. Proof PROVES something.
So all agnostics are moderately intelligent then? haha
DUDE! Watch religilous! Bill Mahrís movie. So good.
If you donít think scientists can prove things that happened millions or billions of years ago, then you donít understand science.ďPics or it didnít happenĒ does NOT apply to science.
This is not about intelligence. Intelligence hardly comes into it. You can be intelligent and believe in god, you can also be dumb and believe in science. It is about ignorance.
Ignorance is the state in which one lacks knowledge, is unaware of something or chooses to subjectively ignore information. This should not be confused with being unintelligent, as oneís level of intelligence and level of education or general awareness are not the same" ...
I think the author is using up a lot of words to say absolutely nothing. Maybe someone thginks differently, & can sum it up in a short paragraph ...
I think you are right, mooze. Not much at all was really said. But I do have some thoughts on the subject.

Those who value science are people who have faith in verifiable data and observed results of experiments. Religion is something they judge on their own, regardless of what they were taught.

Those who value faith above science are people who have faith in parents, teachers and other authority figures who taught them their religion.

There are high and low IQs in both groups, though there is a greater tendency towards high IQs in the science related group.

The core value for each is faith: faith in data & observation; or faith in some trusted members of society.
froggy

Allentown, PA

#6 Jul 19, 2009
Support those who seek "truth" ---- doubt those who claim to have found it.

Judged:

26

20

9

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#7 Jul 19, 2009
Curtis Lowe wrote:
Atheists are pedophilespurplemonkeydiswashe r.
hahaha

Is that the sum knowledge of all the christian teachings you've had?

Judged:

11

10

9

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Curtis Lowe

Montgomery, AL

#8 Jul 19, 2009
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
hahaha
Is that the sum knowledge of all the christian teachings you've had?
It's accurate and straight to the pointpurplemonkeydiswasher.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#9 Jul 19, 2009
Curtis Lowe wrote:
<quoted text>
It's accurate and straight to the pointpurplemonkeydiswasher.
Ah, you're a troll. Probably a 13 year old troll too.

Here's a question for you: Why do trolls live under bridges?

Answer: So that we can walk all over you.

Goodbye little troll, from this moment on you can consider yourself ignored.
Curtis Lowe

Montgomery, AL

#10 Jul 19, 2009
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, you're a troll. Probably a 13 year old troll too.
Here's a question for you: Why do trolls live under bridges?
Answer: So that we can walk all over you.
Goodbye little troll, from this moment on you can consider yourself ignored.
Sweet! So I win?

“FED UP WITH TOPIX”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#11 Jul 19, 2009
There is no possible way for any of us to know how we ended up here. Religion is full of fairy tales, science is full of theories... So, in my opinion, it is futile to argue about it. Let people believe what they want if that's what makes them feel a little better about dying... Because that's what it all comes down to in the end. DEATH! The unknown! Do we continue on? Or is it really the end?! The only one's who know the answer are not here to give it to us. But in my opinion, if there were nothing after life, then life itself is meaningless. And there is a reason for everything. IDK, if this came out the way I intended(I'm half drunk)=) But if you can find any living thing on this planet that does not have a purpose, then my theory is debunked!

Judged:

10

10

5

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#12 Jul 19, 2009
Wattamoozie wrote:
<quoted text>

This is not about intelligence. Intelligence hardly comes into it. You can be intelligent and believe in god, you can also be dumb and believe in science. It is about ignorance.
Well said!

Christianity is based on death. It promises us eternal life in heaven, and reduces it's adherents to a bunch of forlock-tugging, self-pitying people who believe that they are "unworthy" because of their inherent sinfulness.

This philosophy completely overshadows the enjoyment of life.

What else does it do? It opresses women and denies them equality with men, it persecutes homosexuals and it terrifies little children like Curtis Lowe.

Wait a minute - there's more: It represses scientific research and promotes superstition and the worship of an imaginary god while all the time, condemning mortal man.

It's time that religion was kicked out of the public square and back where it belongs - in the minds of the ignorant and gullible.

Judged:

32

21

16

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#13 Jul 19, 2009
LiddySays wrote:
There is no possible way for any of us to know how we ended up here. Religion is full of fairy tales, science is full of theories... So, in my opinion, it is futile to argue about it. Let people believe what they want if that's what makes them feel a little better about dying... Because that's what it all comes down to in the end. DEATH! The unknown! Do we continue on? Or is it really the end?! The only one's who know the answer are not here to give it to us. But in my opinion, if there were nothing after life, then life itself is meaningless. And there is a reason for everything. IDK, if this came out the way I intended(I'm half drunk)=) But if you can find any living thing on this planet that does not have a purpose, then my theory is debunked!
Einstein got this one right so I'll use his words.....

"Strange is our situation here on Earth. Each of us comes for a short visit, not knowing why, yet sometimes seeming to divine a purpose.

From the standpoint of daily life, however, there is one thing we do know: that man is here for the sake of other men - above all for those whose smiles and well-being our own happiness depends"

“Hello homo sapiens sapiens.”

Since: Mar 07

A galaxy near you.

#14 Jul 19, 2009
LiddySays wrote:
But in my opinion, if there were nothing after life, then life itself is meaningless.

But if you can find any living thing on this planet that does not have a purpose, then my theory is debunked!
In my opinion, if there is nothing after life, then it's up to us to make every day count for something. If you've only got one chance, make the most of it.

Why does everything have to have a purpose for you to qualify? If you want everything to be structured and balanced, that's fine. Just be aware that you may not get it, no matter how badly you want it. Wouldn't you be better off woking with what you've got?

“FED UP WITH TOPIX”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#15 Jul 19, 2009
DebJ wrote:
<quoted text>
In my opinion, if there is nothing after life, then it's up to us to make every day count for something. If you've only got one chance, make the most of it.
Why does everything have to have a purpose for you to qualify? If you want everything to be structured and balanced, that's fine. Just be aware that you may not get it, no matter how badly you want it. Wouldn't you be better off woking with what you've got?
The Earth is mysteriously placed in just the right position in order to sustain life... Is that not order, structure, and balance all in one? A flower creates pollen, a bee will collect the pollen and scatter it about thus pollinating other flowers of the same type and continuing the cycle, is that not purpose? Every living thing on this planet has a purpose. What I am saying is that the purpose of all living things would be futile if there were nothing on the other end of life, i.e. DEATH. Everything has a cycle. Does a circle ever end?...

“Jesus forgives..... ”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#16 Jul 19, 2009
DebJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Then again, maybe they don't! What manifestations are you talking about anyway? Revelations....show proof of just one, just one.
I don't think I'm terribly unique and yes we are all tiny specks in a very large universe. What's your point? It's the cristians who think they are so special that they can walk on streets of gold for all eternity. When it comes to feeble minds, speak only for yourself.
I wonder if the other lifeform in other planets are atheists.

“Jesus forgives..... ”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#17 Jul 19, 2009
LiddySays wrote:
<quoted text>
The Earth is mysteriously placed in just the right position in order to sustain life... Is that not order, structure, and balance all in one? A flower creates pollen, a bee will collect the pollen and scatter it about thus pollinating other flowers of the same type and continuing the cycle, is that not purpose? Every living thing on this planet has a purpose. What I am saying is that the purpose of all living things would be futile if there were nothing on the other end of life, i.e. DEATH. Everything has a cycle. Does a circle ever end?...
Dinosaurs died and we continue on. A monkey evolved into a human and there is still some monkeys.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#18 Jul 19, 2009
How much faith does it take to not believe in Thor?

Judged:

15

13

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Jesus forgives..... ”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#19 Jul 19, 2009
Hedonist wrote:
How much faith does it take to not believe in Thor?
TOTALLY!

“Don't get me started”

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#20 Jul 19, 2009
LiddySays wrote:
There is no possible way for any of us to know how we ended up here. Religion is full of fairy tales, science is full of theories... So, in my opinion, it is futile to argue about it. Let people believe what they want if that's what makes them feel a little better about dying... Because that's what it all comes down to in the end. DEATH! The unknown! Do we continue on? Or is it really the end?! The only one's who know the answer are not here to give it to us. But in my opinion, if there were nothing after life, then life itself is meaningless. And there is a reason for everything. IDK, if this came out the way I intended(I'm half drunk)=) But if you can find any living thing on this planet that does not have a purpose, then my theory is debunked!
In our brief lifespan, we are free to make our own purpose. Most people throw that choice away by hoping for something eternal. For my way of thinking, it is silly to find a higher purpose in floating around "somewhere up there" with nothing to do for ever and ever, veging out or singing songs or just sitting there playing with their spirit navel.

Life is here now. It is often a struggle, and sometimes downright delicious. That is a grand enough purpose for me.

“Don't get me started”

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#21 Jul 19, 2009
LiddySays wrote:
<quoted text>
The Earth is mysteriously placed in just the right position in order to sustain life... Is that not order, structure, and balance all in one? A flower creates pollen, a bee will collect the pollen and scatter it about thus pollinating other flowers of the same type and continuing the cycle, is that not purpose? Every living thing on this planet has a purpose. What I am saying is that the purpose of all living things would be futile if there were nothing on the other end of life, i.e. DEATH. Everything has a cycle. Does a circle ever end?...
On a mountaintop far away, a snowflake balances precariously on a rock.

Soon, a brisk wind nudges that snowflake off the rock.

It tumbles down, collects several more snowflakes and a few specks of dust.

Soon, a dirty ball of snow and dust is rolling down the mountainside.

As it rolls, it collects small twigs, larger rocks, pine cones and an old shoe left by a hiker ten years ago.

Now, growing in size, it collects broken branches from trees and more snow by the truckload.

Most of the way down the mountain, it slams into a very large bolder, smashing into a thousand pieces.

Those pieces are hurtling in the air at a high volocity toward the vally below.

On the vally slope, a squirrel sits munching on a nut.

The squirrel is hit and killed by the shoe left on the mountainside by a hiker ten years ago.

So it is OBVIOUS, God wanted that squirrel dead when he put the snowflake on the top of the mountain.

It is a perfectly ordered world.

“Jesus forgives..... ”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#22 Jul 19, 2009
When we leave this world, we are going back to God himself.

Judged:

23

21

16

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11371
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 49 min Eman 22,100
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 1 hr Patrick 188
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 1 hr Patrick 42
Stump a theist with 2 questions 1 hr Patrick 18
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 5 hr TheHeadlines 70
Atheism 101: What's the most aggravating argume... 7 hr Patrick n Angela 3
The Ultimate Evidence of God Mon sriKim 120
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••