Richard Dawkins - God is evil, pedoph...

Richard Dawkins - God is evil, pedophilesa not so bad

There are 3146 comments on the Examiner.com story from Sep 14, 2013, titled Richard Dawkins - God is evil, pedophilesa not so bad. In it, Examiner.com reports that:

"The God of the Qur'an is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Examiner.com.

Thinking

Cupar, UK

#2695 Mar 17, 2014
Darwin honestly said what could be wrong with his theory. Others have closed off many of his concerns.

Could a religious text ever be so honest?
hazem selawi wrote:
<quoted text>
Charles Darwin himself discussed the Cambrian explosion as one of the main objections that could be made against his theory of evolution by natural selection.
Igor trip already told me that we now have more information than Darwin had which means that there was precambrian multicellular life so there was enough time to explain the diversity of life over its 56 million years.
so the theory of evolution had also evolved over time.
Mahmood

Brampton, Canada

#2696 Mar 17, 2014
hazem selawi wrote:
<quoted text>
Mahmoud When you read the Qur'an you must understand the basic Islam beliefs, gathered from the Qur'an, the most basic being the Pillars of Faith and the Pillars of Practice
I think we can both agree that these are the 6 pillars of faith
1.One True God
2.Angels
3.The Books Allah has revealed, not the man made lies.
4.Prophets
5.The Afterlife
6.Devine Decree and Destiny
now lets see Yusuf Ali translation to verse 2:62
"Those who believe (in the Qur'an), and those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Christians and the Sabians,- any who believe in God and the Last Day, and work righteousness, shall have their reward with their Lord; on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve."
"Know they not Allah Knoweth what they conceal and what they reveal? And there are among them illiterates, who know not the Book but (see therein their own) desires, and they do nothing but conjecture. Then woe to those who write the Book with their own hands, and then say:'This is from Allah,' to traffic with it for a miserable price! Woe to them for what don't waste your time because its obvious that Allah does not consider today’s Trinitarian Christians to be the real followers of Jesus.
Let’s not deviate from the topic. I am not interested in what Xtians believe nor am I interested in the pillars of Islam. You write a lot and still haven’t been able to solve the contradiction. Let me show you another Tafsir (Ibn Abbas):

“Then Allah went on to mention the believers among them, saying:(Lo! Those who believe) in Moses and all the other prophets, these earn their reward from their Lord in Paradise; they shall have no fear perpetually and they shall perpetually not grieve. It is said that this means that no fear will come upon them concerning torment in the future life nor will they grieve about anything they have left behind. And it is also said that this means: they shall have no fear when death is slain and hell is closed. Then He mentioned those who did not believe in Moses or the other prophets, saying:(and those who are Jews) who deviated from the religion of Moses,(and Christians) those who became Christians (and Sabaeans) a Christian sect whose members shave the middle of their heads, read the Gospel, worship the angels and say: " our hearts have returned (saba'at) unto Allah " ,(whoever believeth) from amongst them (in Allah and the Last Day and does right) in that which is between them and their Lord,(surely their reward is with their Lord, and there shall no fear come upon them neither shall they grieve).”

None of the two tafsirs I have given says anything about people of the book before Mohammad. You and the present day Islamic scholars have your own opinion because you are too embarrassed to admit that there is a contradiction. Translations is not important because all translations say the same thing.

Since: Oct 13

Location hidden

#2697 Mar 17, 2014
Thinking wrote:
F**k all. And that's not an instruction.
The difference between your prayers and the Higgs Boson is that the Higgs Boson has an influence on the universe.
<quoted text>
our professor has a dirty mouth, I still don't understand why are you comparing Higgs Boson with prayers ?? why not fasting for instance ??

Location hidden

#2698 Mar 17, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Darwin honestly said what could be wrong with his theory. Others have closed off many of his concerns.
Could a religious text ever be so honest?
<quoted text>
I respect him for that, he was a true man of science.

I don't know about other religions but the Quran was interpreted by so many scholars and still being interpreted till now, the problem with you is that you take everything literally and don't take in account that some verses hold a figurative meaning.

Location hidden

#2699 Mar 17, 2014
Mahmood wrote:
<quoted text>
Let’s not deviate from the topic. I am not interested in what Xtians believe nor am I interested in the pillars of Islam. You write a lot and still haven’t been able to solve the contradiction. Let me show you another Tafsir (Ibn Abbas):
“Then Allah went on to mention the believers among them, saying:(Lo! Those who believe) in Moses and all the other prophets, these earn their reward from their Lord in Paradise; they shall have no fear perpetually and they shall perpetually not grieve. It is said that this means that no fear will come upon them concerning torment in the future life nor will they grieve about anything they have left behind. And it is also said that this means: they shall have no fear when death is slain and hell is closed. Then He mentioned those who did not believe in Moses or the other prophets, saying:(and those who are Jews) who deviated from the religion of Moses,(and Christians) those who became Christians (and Sabaeans) a Christian sect whose members shave the middle of their heads, read the Gospel, worship the angels and say: " our hearts have returned (saba'at) unto Allah " ,(whoever believeth) from amongst them (in Allah and the Last Day and does right) in that which is between them and their Lord,(surely their reward is with their Lord, and there shall no fear come upon them neither shall they grieve).”
None of the two tafsirs I have given says anything about people of the book before Mohammad. You and the present day Islamic scholars have your own opinion because you are too embarrassed to admit that there is a contradiction. Translations is not important because all translations say the same thing.
you said it by yourself, Ibn Abbas tafsiry says (whoever believeth) in Allah and the last day and does right, so who would be considered as a believer in Allah ??
The Jews says Ezra is the son of god and the Christians believe in the trinity ..!!
so that's not believing that's blasphemy.

now what if a christian at our present days somewhere in the world never heard of Mohammed nor Islam ?? how would he be questioned ?? where would he go in the hereafter ??

Allah made it clear in the Quran that no one can be punished if he didn't get a Warner, what if some Christians received Islam Distorted and never had the chance to know more about it ??

according to scholars he also may not grieve, you have to remember that Allah will never be unjust to anybody, its his promise.
Thinking

Cupar, UK

#2700 Mar 18, 2014
No. The problem is scripture is BS, but the sunni and shia murder each other because of it.
hazem selawi wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know about other religions but the Quran was interpreted by so many scholars and still being interpreted till now, the problem with you is that you take everything literally and don't take in account that some verses hold a figurative meaning.
Thinking

Cupar, UK

#2701 Mar 18, 2014
How did fasting help find the Higgs Boson?
hazem selawi wrote:
<quoted text>
our professor has a dirty mouth, I still don't understand why are you comparing Higgs Boson with prayers ?? why not fasting for instance ??

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#2702 Mar 18, 2014
hazem selawi wrote:
<quoted text>
no scientific theory can be 100% accurate or true.
<quoted text>
you know 27 theories of what caused the BB ?? I really would appreciate it if you mentioned any source or any article.
Quantum physics does not require a cause ?? really ??
<quoted text>
and how exactly would we get the right environment ?? and the right properties ?? or how exactly would we have vast swathes of time ??
You did not ask for scientific theory, you asked and I quote “so are you a 100% sure that evolution did happen ??” But you want to nit pick try the theory of gravity, it works 100% of the time and is 100% true. Just try jumping off a roof and see if your god will prove me wrong. As for evolution, as I have already said and given a few examples (which incidentally you poopood with absolutely nothing) there are far too many confirmatory lines of evidence for it to be anything less than 100%. And unfortunately for you the cry that god dun it wiv magic does not count as evidence because you have no evidence.

Perimeter institute has lots of papers in the cosmology section and given yesterdays announcement I think that at least some of their theories will be refined even more. So forget Behe and his atrocious BS ID guesswork, try some real cutting edge writing for a change.

Really. After you have read the cosmology papers you could try the theoretical physics section of the site. Or better still for quantum physics stuff try the CERN site, where the perimeter institute is a theoretic establishment, CERN is a practical one. Actually yesterdays announcement helps confirm that no cause is required. Theorists have calculated that up to 10^-34th of a second following the event the universal laws including laws of thermodynamics (including cause and effect) could not exist. Yesterdays announcement confirms this but makes it 10^-35 of a second.(so now we are just that fraction closer to knowing which if any of the mathematically valid theories are actually correct.

The right environment, the right properties, are down to the astrological and geological nature of this ball of rock we live on, and vast swathes of time – how’s 3.5 billion (that’s BILLION) years strike you?

#2703 Mar 18, 2014
hazem selawi wrote:
<quoted text>
its completely the opposite, because we use the very long periods of time suggested by the evolution theory to prove that we'll never get an observable and testable evidences for the theory.
<quoted text>
Wrong, because Giraffes are still giraffes ( same species) but with different characteristics.
<quoted text>
you are the one who mentioned degrees, so my point was you have a degree in art and your hobby is to study fossils, someone may have a hobby to watch the stars but that wouldn't make him an astronomer, but he may also learn new techniques and get new info about the stars, never mind.
anyways what did you find out after studying Lucy ??
<quoted text>
ooh I apologize I didn't pay attention to that part (unless you live), the context really matters, I hope you pay attention to the context whenever you accuse the Quran of saying something it clearly doesn't.
And I have shown you the observable Cyrtodactylus macrotuberculatus and you dismissed it out of hand. And the fossil record is observable and testable. It really does not matter how you try to obfuscate the facts, the facts still exists

Do you have any observable and testable evidence for this? Do you have palaeomerycidae or climacocerid DNA to prove your point? Note that humans have the same (to within 99%) DNA chimpanzees and bonobo apes.

And my point was what has having a degree got to do with my hobby? Actually anyone who watches the stars as a hobby is classed as an astronomer and much astronomical data is provided by such people. In the same way a lot of archaeology depends on amateurs, obviously backed up qualified experts in the field. I am not quite sure if you should have chosen astronomy as your counter here.

Despite the diminutive size there are many similarities to humans and transitional bone structure between earlier and more modern homo’s

Apology accepted as for the Quran, I state what is written, not what is interpreted because interpretation can be open to interpretation. And to prove this I usually give verse numbers so that no one can accuse me of saying something that is not written.

#2704 Mar 18, 2014
hazem selawi wrote:
<quoted text>
Charles Darwin himself discussed the Cambrian explosion as one of the main objections that could be made against his theory of evolution by natural selection.
Igor trip already told me that we now have more information than Darwin had which means that there was precambrian multicellular life so there was enough time to explain the diversity of life over its 56 million years.
so the theory of evolution had also evolved over time.
Darwin spoke about the Cambrian explosion 150 years ago with the understanding of the period available then. He had no idea of the oxygen content of the atmosphere or the average temperatures, tectonics, population densities, plant life and all the other environmental details we can now glean from rock strata.

The theory of evolution has been around since the ancient Greeks and yes, as new knowledge is gained so the theory has been modified to more accurately describe the facts, you could call that evolution. As I have already stated, Darwin was a good starting point but he was not the modern day authority. He was effectively a newly learning amateur, a student with no professor to guide him and nothing scientifically evaluated to work with.

#2705 Mar 18, 2014
hazem selawi wrote:
<quoted text>
Why the need for interpretation?

Why the need for – it says “A” here and it says “B” there so it must mean “C” unless you take into account the “D” that it says here in which case it means “E”

Why not, it says “A” here so this bit means “A”
And it says “B” there so that bit means “B”
And this bit a little later say “D” so that bit must mean “D”

WTF has “C” and “E” for to do with what was actually written?

Actually christian tend to interpret in the same way, it says this here and hundreds of years later it says that so the earlier bit must mean something completely different than what it actually says

Location hidden

#2706 Mar 18, 2014
Thinking wrote:
How did fasting help find the Higgs Boson?
<quoted text>
unlike you I think the discovery of Higgs Boson proves the existence of the creator,

"And when My servants ask you,[O Muhammad], concerning Me - indeed I am near. I respond to the invocation of the supplicant when he calls upon Me. So let them respond to Me [by obedience] and believe in Me that they may be [rightly] guided."

Location hidden

#2707 Mar 18, 2014
Thinking wrote:
No. The problem is scripture is BS, but the sunni and shia murder each other because of it.
<quoted text>
Do you Actually think that the Muslims are following the Quran or the teachings of Islam ??!!
I think your point is that the Muslim nation are facing problems and challenges and I totally agree with you, but trust me Islam has nothing to do with any of the problems we are facing.

you are absolutely right Shias and Sunnis are fighting each others but why ??
it is a complicated situation and just briefly Muslims in Syria were and still living under an oppressive regime which is Al Asad regime, so it doesn't matter if that regime was ruled by shias or not, it's a matter of freedom and rights.

people in Egypt Revolted although the Ousted president ( Husni Mubarak ) is Sunni, Islam is totally out of the equation.
Mahmood

Peterborough, Canada

#2708 Mar 18, 2014
hazem selawi wrote:
<quoted text>
you said it by yourself, Ibn Abbas tafsiry says (whoever believeth) in Allah and the last day and does right, so who would be considered as a believer in Allah ??
The Jews says Ezra is the son of god and the Christians believe in the trinity ..!!
so that's not believing that's blasphemy.
now what if a christian at our present days somewhere in the world never heard of Mohammed nor Islam ?? how would he be questioned ?? where would he go in the hereafter ??
Allah made it clear in the Quran that no one can be punished if he didn't get a Warner, what if some Christians received Islam Distorted and never had the chance to know more about it ??
according to scholars he also may not grieve, you have to remember that Allah will never be unjust to anybody, its his promise.
All Jews and Christians believe in one Allah and the last day. There are no conditions attached in 2:62. I am not sure where the authors of the Koran got the idea that Jews say Ezra is the son of God.
Thinking

Cupar, UK

#2709 Mar 18, 2014
I don't give a sh!t what sunnis and shiites think.

I just want muslims to grow up, stop their violence, stop oppressing women, stop attacking knowledge and stop making the world an uglier place.
hazem selawi wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you Actually think that the Muslims are following the Quran or the teachings of Islam ??!!
I think your point is that the Muslim nation are facing problems and challenges and I totally agree with you, but trust me Islam has nothing to do with any of the problems we are facing.
it is a complicated situation and just briefly Muslims in Syria were and still living under an oppressive regime which is Al Asad regime, so it doesn't matter if that regime was ruled by shias or not, it's a matter of freedom and rights.
people in Egypt Revolted although the Ousted president ( Husni Mubarak ) is Sunni, Islam is totally out of the equation.
Mahmood

Peterborough, Canada

#2710 Mar 18, 2014
hazem selawi wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll tell you why Sunnis and Shia are slaughtering each other. It's because your holy prophet failed to nominate a successor or an interim leader for the Muslim community. Had he done that, there would be no Sunni/Shia and everyone would have remained united. They have been massacring each other for the last 1400 years starting off with the battle of Camel.
Aisha fought against Ali and lost. Her own brother Mohammad was fighting alongside Ali against her.

Location hidden

#2711 Mar 18, 2014
Mahmood wrote:
<quoted text>
All Jews and Christians believe in one Allah and the last day. There are no conditions attached in 2:62. I am not sure where the authors of the Koran got the idea that Jews say Ezra is the son of God.
I really don't understand your logic, you are supposed to know at first the definition of Christians and Jews, and the Quran continues to define Christians and Jews in other verses ...!!

"They have certainly disbelieved who say, " Allah is the Messiah, the son of Mary" while the Messiah has said, "O Children of Israel, worship Allah , my Lord and your Lord." Indeed, he who associates others with Allah - Allah has forbidden him Paradise, and his refuge is the Fire. And there are not for the wrongdoers any helpers." 5:72

"They have certainly disbelieved who say, " Allah is the third of three." And there is no god except one God. And if they do not desist from what they are saying, there will surely afflict the disbelievers among them a painful punishment." 5:73

read the above verses carefully, because they stand as an exception and state clearly that not all Christians are believers.

so now you are an expert in Judaism too, that's interesting ..!!

Location hidden

#2712 Mar 18, 2014
Mahmood wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll tell you why Sunnis and Shia are slaughtering each other. It's because your holy prophet failed to nominate a successor or an interim leader for the Muslim community. Had he done that, there would be no Sunni/Shia and everyone would have remained united. They have been massacring each other for the last 1400 years starting off with the battle of Camel.
Aisha fought against Ali and lost. Her own brother Mohammad was fighting alongside Ali against her.
there is a wisdom behind everything Prophet Mohammed did, Just wait and see, besides you are absolutely wrong about the Camel battle, because Aisha (RDTA) never fought against Ali ..!!!
she went out to reform between people amon with some companions of Mohammed (PBUH), what shias taught you has nothing to do with the truth.

Aisha said: "I came out to reform between people. Therefore, tell your people to stay at their house, and to be content until they get what they love, i.e. the reformation of the Muslims' matter." (Book of the Trustworthy, by Ibn Habban, vol.2, p.282)

shias also claim that thousands of people died in that battle, that too is far away from the truth.

Location hidden

#2713 Mar 18, 2014
Thinking wrote:
I don't give a sh!t what sunnis and shiites think.
I just want muslims to grow up, stop their violence, stop oppressing women, stop attacking knowledge and stop making the world an uglier place.
<quoted text>
we are not violent, we don't oppress women and we certainly don't attack knowledge, maybe very few of us do the above, just like any people, we have good and bad people ...!!!

besides it seems like we are both you and I want the world to become a better place, but trust me by attacking our beliefs and religions you are making it worse.

you came to a conclusion that Islam is holding us back, and that its the reason behind the difficulties Muslim nations are facing, that's your opinion, However, your opinion is based on a serious lack of knowledge about Islam.

Location hidden

#2714 Mar 18, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
You did not ask for scientific theory, you asked and I quote “so are you a 100% sure that evolution did happen ??” But you want to nit pick try the theory of gravity, it works 100% of the time and is 100% true. Just try jumping off a roof and see if your god will prove me wrong. As for evolution, as I have already said and given a few examples (which incidentally you poopood with absolutely nothing) there are far too many confirmatory lines of evidence for it to be anything less than 100%. And unfortunately for you the cry that god dun it wiv magic does not count as evidence because you have no evidence.
the first thing I told you before we started to discuss the evolution theory is to put my religion aside, and to find out what scientists say about evolution, so my religion was completely out of the equation, anyways what I was trying to say is that there is a big fat list of scientists disproving evolution, and specially for a kind of species evolving into another distinct kind of species.
besides we as Muslims don't just say God created the universe and that's it..!!
we are obligated to find out how God created the universe to admire the creator's ingenuity, and I think your approach (agnostics) and ours will lead to the same results.
Don't look at muslims now because apparently we are going through a very had phase, we don't have the very minimum requirements of a decent life (because of several factors), the last century wasn't ours at all, but you cannot blame our Islam for that.
I don't want us to go back and run in circles again to prove to you that Islam isn't against science, its exactly the opposite.
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Perimeter institute has lots of papers in the cosmology section and given yesterdays announcement I think that at least some of their theories will be refined even more. So forget Behe and his atrocious BS ID guesswork, try some real cutting edge writing for a change.
Really. After you have read the cosmology papers you could try the theoretical physics section of the site. Or better still for quantum physics stuff try the CERN site, where the perimeter institute is a theoretic establishment, CERN is a practical one. Actually yesterdays announcement helps confirm that no cause is required. Theorists have calculated that up to 10^-34th of a second following the event the universal laws including laws of thermodynamics (including cause and effect) could not exist. Yesterdays announcement confirms this but makes it 10^-35 of a second.(so now we are just that fraction closer to knowing which if any of the mathematically valid theories are actually correct.
The right environment, the right properties, are down to the astrological and geological nature of this ball of rock we live on, and vast swathes of time – how’s 3.5 billion (that’s BILLION) years strike you?
I never expected Canadians to have a leading center for scientific research, yet french (CERN), that's very interesting.
I guess after all America is no longer a Magnet to scientists from all over the world, or you never know maybe most of those scientists got their education in the united states and came back to their countries, poor America ..!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 51 min 15th Dalai Lama 77,139
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 3 hr The FACTory 941
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 hr Aerobatty 258,484
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) 3 hr The FACTory 4,334
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr The FACTory 32,301
Atheists are subhuman filth that need to be exe... Wed Roec 1
Religion sux ? Tue Eagle 12 - 4
More from around the web