God Enters The Race

Sep 10, 2012 Full story: The Daily Beast 109

In the past 72 hours, Romney has endorsed the controversial conservative Iowa Congressman Steve King, appeared onstage with televangelist Pat Robertson, debuted a revamped stump speech with warnings of encroaching secularism at its center, and devoted substantial time to a hot dog-heavy photo-op at a NASCAR race.

Full Story

“Waytogo”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#68 Sep 15, 2012
Pamela wrote:
Here it is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inherit_the_Wind... (1960_film)
Inherit The Wind is the name of the movie.
Thanks gonna watch that when can find it. I always laugh at religous peopel how they scream about freedom and there rights...yet they want to take away or keep away people freedoms and rights......weird group.
CunningLinguist

Eustis, FL

#69 Sep 15, 2012
Pamela wrote:
Here it is.
The film is based on the trial of John Scopes, a high school teacher in Tennessee, for teaching the theory of evolution in violation of state law. The trial was held in 1925, with eminent lawyers on both sides — William Jennings Bryan for the prosecution and Clarence Darrow for the defense. Although Scopes was convicted, he was given a nominal fine, and the outcome was widely seen as a victory for Darrow.

At the time, many saw the Scopes trial as a sign of deep conflict between science and religion.

Gene Kelly's character was: H.L. Mencken (Reporter)

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration--courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and, above all, love of the truth." ~H.L. Mencken

Darrow's brilliant cross on Bryan, using Bryan's bible, exposed the nonsense found in religion publicly.

Not since the days of the great orator Robert Green Ingersoll, friend to Lincoln, achieve such notoriety.

Robert Green Ingersoll (1833-1899), American lawyer and lecturer, was a champion of free thought and an orator of almost magical power.

"Somebody ought to tell the truth about the Bible. The preachers dare not, because they would be driven from their pulpits. Professors in colleges dare not, because they would lose their salaries. Politicians dare not. They would be defeated. Editors dare not. They would lose subscribers. Merchants dare not, because they might lose customers. Men of fashion dare not, fearing that they would lose caste. Even clerks dare not, because they might be discharged.

They forget its ignorance and savagery, its hatred of liberty, its religious persecution; they remember heaven, but they forget the dungeon of eternal pain. They forget that it imprisons the brain and corrupts the heart. They forget that it is the enemy of intellectual freedom. Liberty is my religion. Liberty of hand and brain -- of thought and labor, liberty is a word hated by kings -- loathed by popes. It is a word that shatters thrones and altars -- that leaves the crowned without subjects, and the outstretched hand of superstition without alms. Liberty is the blossom and fruit of justice -- the perfume of mercy. Liberty is the seed and soil, the air and light, the dew and rain of progress, love and joy."
~Ingersoll
Sandy

Santa Monica, CA

#70 Sep 15, 2012
Mitt Romney views the American presidency as a theological office. "Joseph Smith had a supposed vision (prophecy) that one day a Mormon would become President of the United States, FOR THE EXPRESS PURPOSE, of letting the Mormon Church take over the U.S. Government. You can take it to the bank, that if Romney were President, the church leaders would have another “vision,” that a church takeover must happen. By the way, that prophecy was simple revenge for perceived wrongs done to Joseph Smith by the government. Nevertheless they treat all his prophecies seriously, no matter how ridiculous they are.
Romney avoids mentioning it, but Joseph Smith ran for president in 1844 as an independent Commander in Chief of an “army of God” advocating the overthrow of the U.S. government in favor of a Mormon-ruled theocracy." http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/05/13/forme...

“Waytogo”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#71 Sep 15, 2012
Sandy wrote:
Mitt Romney views the American presidency as a theological office. "Joseph Smith had a supposed vision (prophecy) that one day a Mormon would become President of the United States, FOR THE EXPRESS PURPOSE, of letting the Mormon Church take over the U.S. Government. You can take it to the bank, that if Romney were President, the church leaders would have another “vision,” that a church takeover must happen. By the way, that prophecy was simple revenge for perceived wrongs done to Joseph Smith by the government. Nevertheless they treat all his prophecies seriously, no matter how ridiculous they are.
Romney avoids mentioning it, but Joseph Smith ran for president in 1844 as an independent Commander in Chief of an “army of God” advocating the overthrow of the U.S. government in favor of a Mormon-ruled theocracy." http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/05/13/forme...
Religous people scare me more then all other percieved threats in the world and universe.
CunningLinguist

Eustis, FL

#72 Sep 15, 2012
GOD?

I believe that depends entirely on concept.

On 9/11 some God won the day, while another God lost part of its flock.

Ironically this is considered the same God by both Xtians, Jews and Muslims!

Religion is a mind virus easily cured by education.

"Thus I came...to a deep religiosity, which, however, reached an abrupt end at the age of 12. Through the reading of popular scientific books I soon reached a conviction that much in the stories of the Bible could not be true.... Suspicion against every kind of authority grew out of this experience...an attitude which has never left me." ~Albert Einstein

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#73 Sep 15, 2012
ToManyLaws wrote:
<quoted text>
Religous people scare me more then all other percieved threats in the world and universe.
Because religion is inherently divisive and the most damaging thing invented by man this planet has ever seen.

“God=Registered Sex Offender!”

Since: Jul 12

Wylie, TX

#74 Sep 15, 2012
Eighthman wrote:
Democrats are easy targets for propaganda. Obama has them telling God himself to go to hell.
Ain't that something.
We are gong back to the dark ages.
If you don't believe in God, that's fine. Just don't insult those that do. That's communism.
I am a TRUE Christian and my job is to correct FAKE-ass wide-eyed Christians like you who barge into the forum, squat, and dump a steaming pile of crazy on the atheists' doorstep just to confuse them.

Here's a newsflash for your heathen ass: God. Goes. To. Hell. All. Of. The. Time. God plays blackjack with Satan who happens to be Yahweh's firstborn Son, before He decided to impregnate a Bronze Age virgin (his mother) with Himself so as to sacrifice Himself to Himself. Read your goddamn Bible before you lecture ANY ATHEIST about your FAKE-ASS special education God.

You make me want to chew broken glass.

Now git!

“God=Registered Sex Offender!”

Since: Jul 12

Wylie, TX

#75 Sep 15, 2012
Bible teacher wrote:
Almighty God Jehovah, the one true God of the Bible, does not get involved in this world's politics or governments, he considers them beasts.
If you read the book of Revelation you will see the symbolic description fits all the governments on this earth in these last days of this world.
That book also identifies Satan the Devil as the original serpant or dragon, who gives the beasts their power and control.
Revelation 13
If you want to survive the end of this world, you must not get the symbolic mark of the wild beast on your hand or forehead, that means you service and support, worship or allegence to the beast.
You are a creepy Jeehovy Witness! No? You are a TRUE Christian? Sparky, please take this pop quiz:

1. Do you believe in God?

A.Yes, I believe in the one TRUE God.
B.Yes, I have my own religious beliefs.
C.I'm not really sure but a sword to my throat would convince me.
D.No, I prefer rationality.

2. Do you believe in MY God?

A. Oh totally.(That's a fine sword you have there).
B.Nah, I already have one of those.
C.There is no God. Gasp!
D. My ass itches

3. Do you accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?

A. You bet! One time, two times, three times my savior!
B.Once in a while.
C. Jesus who?
D. No, I'll opt out.

4. Have you read the King James Bible?

A. Yes! Like OMG, it's my freaking life!
B. Yeah, it was decent.
C. Yes, but The Cat in the Hat was better.
D. I'd rather eat a thumbtack sandwich than read that garbage.

5. The TRUE meaning of the 6th Commandment:

A. Thou shalt not kill anyone for any reason.
B.Thou shalt not kill anyone except for the people who don't believe in the same God you believe in or people who don't believe in God at all.
C. Thou shalt not kill except if they really piss you off.
D. Slay away! More people have been killed in the name of God than for any other reason in history.

The salvation of your eternal soul depends on how you answer the quiz.
CunningLinguist

Eustis, FL

#76 Sep 15, 2012
AmericasBestChristian wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a TRUE Christian and my job is to correct FAKE-ass wide-eyed Christians like you who barge into the forum, squat, and dump a steaming pile of crazy on the atheists' doorstep just to confuse them.
Here's a newsflash for your heathen ass: God. Goes. To. Hell. All. Of. The. Time. God plays blackjack with Satan who happens to be Yahweh's firstborn Son, before He decided to impregnate a Bronze Age virgin (his mother) with Himself so as to sacrifice Himself to Himself. Read your goddamn Bible before you lecture ANY ATHEIST about your FAKE-ASS special education God.
Now git!
You certainly have a way with words
The closing "Now git" is priceless.

So in this vein, take a look at this, you will enjoy;-)

For a serious guffaw, sit down first and take a deep breath.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
CunningLinguist

Eustis, FL

#77 Sep 15, 2012
<quoted text>
You are a creepy Jeehovy Witness! No? You are a TRUE Christian?
The salvation of your eternal soul depends on how you answer the quiz.
ABC - Twisted Humour? I love it!

This 'gem' on the dock when Columbus left port, but it still plays well today.

Your God would like to thank you for your belief and patronage. In order to better serve your needs, He asks that you take a few moments to answer the following questions.

Please keep in mind that your responses will be kept
completely confidential, and that you need not disclose your name or address unless you prefer a direct response to comments or suggestions.

1. How did you find out about your Deity?
___ Newspaper
___ Bible
___ Torah
___ Book of Mormon
___ Koran
___ Divine inspiration
___ Dead Sea Scrolls
___ My mama done tol' me
___ Near-death experience
___ Near-life experience
___ National Public Radio
___ Tabloid
___ Burning shrubbery
___ Other (specify):________

2. Which model Deity did you acquire?
___ Yahweh
___ Father, Son & Holy Ghost [Trinity Pak]
___ Jehovah
___ Jesus
___ Krishna
___ Zeus and entourage [Olympus Pak]
___ Odin and entourage [Valhalla Pak]
___ Allah
___ Satan
___ Gaia/Mother Earth/Mother Nature
___ God 1.0a (hairy thunderer)
___ God 1.0b (cosmic muffin)
___ None of the above; I was taken in by a false god

3. Did your God come to you undamaged, with all parts in good working order
and with no obvious breakage or missing attributes?
___ Yes
___ No

If no, please describe the problems you initially encountered here. Please
indicate all that apply:
___ Not eternal
___ Finite in space/Does not occupy or inhabit the entire cosmos
___ Not omniscient
___ Not omnipotent
___ Not infinitely plastic (incapable of being all things to all creations)
___ Permits sex outside of marriage
___ Prohibits sex outside of marriage
___ Makes mistakes (Geraldo Rivera, The Pope)
___ Makes or permits bad things to happen to good people
___ When beseeched, doesn't stay beseeched
___ Requires burnt offerings
___ Requires virgin sacrifices
___ Plays dice with the universe

4. What factors were relevant in your decision to acquire a Deity? Please
check all that apply.
___ Indoctrinated by parents
___ Needed a reason to live
___ Indoctrinated by society
___ Needed focus in whom to despise
___ Imaginary friend grew up
___ Wanted to know Jesus in the Biblical sense
___ Graduated from the tooth fairy
___ Hate to think for myself
___ Wanted to meet girls/boys
___ Fear of death
___ Wanted to piss off parents
___ Needed a day away from work
___ Desperate need for certainty
___ Like organ music
___ Need to feel morally superior
___ Thought Billy Graham was cool
___ My shrubbery caught fire and told me to do it

5. Have you ever worshipped a Deity before? If so, which false god were you
fooled by? Please check all that apply.
___ Mick Jagger
___ Rajanish
___ Baal
___ The almighty dollar
___ Bill Gates
___ Left-wing liberalism
___ The radical right
___ Ra
___ Beelzebub
___ The Great Spirit
___ The Great Pumpkin
___ The sun
___ Elvis
___ The moon
___ TV news
___ Burning shrubbery
___ Other:_________

6. Are you currently using any other source of inspiration in addition to God?
Please check all that apply.
__ Tarot
__ Lottery
__ Astrology
__ Television
__ Fortune cookies
__ Crystals (not including Crystal Gayle)
__ Psychic Friends Network
__ Dianetics
__ Palmistry
__ Biorhythms
__ Alcohol

If you are able to complete the questionnaire and return it to one of our conveniently located drop-off boxes by October 31 you will be entered in the One Free Miracle of Your Choice drawing (chances of winning are approximately one in 6.023 x 10 to the 23rd power, depending on number of beings entered).
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#78 Sep 15, 2012
[QUOTE who="Monkey's Paw "]<quoted text>
This like the 600th time you posted this
Dude,
I see many post from you on just about every thread. This can only mean one thing.[/QUOTE]

That there is far too much anti-kitten propaganda from stupid people.

[QUOTE who="Monkey's Paw "]You are an unemployed nurd. Most likely a drop out and you now live here trying to build a name in fake space.[/QUOTE]

I'm not an unemployed drop-out!

>:-(

And besides if you're gonna describe me, at least spell it correctly.

"Nerd" is spelled with an e. Only a drop-out would get such a ridiculously simple word wrong.

It's four letters long for kitten's sake.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#79 Sep 15, 2012
Hussain the Terrible wrote:
Liberal Secularism is destroying American culture and it is all planned out years ago.
Joe McCarthy knew this and did get a lot of Communist out of Hollywood.
Today Commie writers are back in force along with almost all of mainstream media puting out PROPGANDA that Hitler would be proud of.
I am not a Christian but KNOW that the only way the battle can be won because of Muslims and their henchmen, American subversive Liberals, is to have people like this man speak out against the sexual dysfunction and deviance, the bastardization of multiculturalism and the communist infiltration into our government.
LONG LIVE NORMAL TRADITIONAL AMERICA
VOTE ROMNEY 2012
VOTE AMERICAN
Teh Commies TEH COMMIES ARE EVERYWHERE! OH NOES!!!
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#80 Sep 15, 2012
Pamela wrote:
Here it is.
And it was based on a true story, which happened in 1925.

Evolution and creationism has gone to court again many times since.

The last time the fundies won was 1925.
KJV

Brooklyn, NY

#81 Sep 15, 2012
The Dude wrote:
[QUOTE who="Monkey's Paw "]<quoted text>
This like the 600th time you posted this
Dude,
I see many post from you on just about every thread. This can only mean one thing."

That there is far too much anti-kitten propaganda from stupid people.

[QUOTE who="Monkey's Paw "]You are an unemployed nurd. Most likely a drop out and you now live here trying to build a name in fake space. "

I'm not an unemployed drop-out!

And besides if you're gonna describe me, at least spell it correctly.

"Nerd" is spelled with an e. Only a drop-out would get such a ridiculously simple word wrong.

It's four letters long for kitten's sake.
nurd

n a variant spelling of → nerd

nerd , nurd
n
Slang
1 a boring or unpopular person, esp. one obsessed with something specified
a computer nerd
2 a stupid and feeble person
♦ nerdish, nurdish adj
♦ nerdy, nurdy adj

Before insulting look it up!

The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#82 Sep 15, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
nurd
n a variant spelling of → nerd
nerd , nurd
n
Slang
1 a boring or unpopular person, esp. one obsessed with something specified
a computer nerd
2 a stupid and feeble person
♦ nerdish, nurdish adj
♦ nerdy, nurdy adj
Before insulting look it up!
Ah, my apologies. Like life, language evolves.

"A nerd who is neither geeky nor dorky. A nerd who knows who he is and what he is, and is confident in his superiority. A nerd neither lacking in social skills nor friendships. What all nerds aspire to become."

“The Intrepid”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#83 Sep 16, 2012
<quoted text>
Now git!
You sound like a professional snake handler.

“The Intrepid”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#84 Sep 16, 2012
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you hate kittens?
You can only whack a kitten if someone goes off-topic and mentions global warming.
JBH

Delta, Canada

#85 Sep 16, 2012
=======Full story: The Guardian
Libya promises to seek out killers who used riot as cover for ambassador's killing, but Barack Obama comes under increasing pressure to take action A US "film-maker" linked to an anti-Islamic movie that has sparked deadly riots across the Middle East, claiming the lives of the US ambassador to Libya as well as a number of others, has been ...(more)========

WHEN YOU THINK OF GOD OR NOT, SEE WHAT YOU CAN DO BEFORE OBAMA MAKES MORE MESSES AND GOES FURTHER OFF THE BOUND.

DO YOU know all facts?

For Obama, the Libya, Egypt, Yemen violences and beyond, are alike and equal to, and worse than the Jimmy Carter's Iran hostages-affair.

OBAMA IS THE DRAG AND DRAGGING down OF YOU AT ALL TIMES.

----------

==========

How does that come about?

What action if ANY THAT of Obama is going to take?

----------

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#86 Sep 16, 2012
JBH wrote:
=======Full story: The Guardian
Libya promises to seek out killers who used riot as cover for ambassador's killing, but Barack Obama comes under increasing pressure to take action A US "film-maker" linked to an anti-Islamic movie that has sparked deadly riots across the Middle East, claiming the lives of the US ambassador to Libya as well as a number of others, has been ...(more)========
OBAMA IS THE DRAG AND DRAGGING down OF YOU AT ALL TIMES.
----------
==========
How does that come about?
What action if ANY THAT of Obama is going to take?
----------
Stop spamming this forum with your neocon political bullsh*t.
Pamela

Citrus Heights, CA

#87 Sep 16, 2012
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
The film is based on the trial of John Scopes, a high school teacher in Tennessee, for teaching the theory of evolution in violation of state law. The trial was held in 1925, with eminent lawyers on both sides — William Jennings Bryan for the prosecution and Clarence Darrow for the defense. Although Scopes was convicted, he was given a nominal fine, and the outcome was widely seen as a victory for Darrow.
At the time, many saw the Scopes trial as a sign of deep conflict between science and religion.
Gene Kelly's character was: H.L. Mencken (Reporter)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration--courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and, above all, love of the truth." ~H.L. Mencken
Darrow's brilliant cross on Bryan, using Bryan's bible, exposed the nonsense found in religion publicly.
Not since the days of the great orator Robert Green Ingersoll, friend to Lincoln, achieve such notoriety.
Robert Green Ingersoll (1833-1899), American lawyer and lecturer, was a champion of free thought and an orator of almost magical power.
"Somebody ought to tell the truth about the Bible. The preachers dare not, because they would be driven from their pulpits. Professors in colleges dare not, because they would lose their salaries. Politicians dare not. They would be defeated. Editors dare not. They would lose subscribers. Merchants dare not, because they might lose customers. Men of fashion dare not, fearing that they would lose caste. Even clerks dare not, because they might be discharged.
They forget its ignorance and savagery, its hatred of liberty, its religious persecution; they remember heaven, but they forget the dungeon of eternal pain. They forget that it imprisons the brain and corrupts the heart. They forget that it is the enemy of intellectual freedom. Liberty is my religion. Liberty of hand and brain -- of thought and labor, liberty is a word hated by kings -- loathed by popes. It is a word that shatters thrones and altars -- that leaves the crowned without subjects, and the outstretched hand of superstition without alms. Liberty is the blossom and fruit of justice -- the perfume of mercy. Liberty is the seed and soil, the air and light, the dew and rain of progress, love and joy."
~Ingersoll
Okay. The trial was in 1925, but the movie was made in 1960. I kept wondering if we were still that backwards in 1960. No, that's when they did the movie but it was based on what went on in 1925. I get it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 min KiMare 232,900
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr Richardfs 2,274
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 8 hr polymath257 23,199
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 14 hr Yiago 148
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 19 hr _Bad Company 141
Islam is the Enemy (Sep '12) 20 hr thetruth 34
God' existence 20 hr thetruth 67
More from around the web