Could Religious belief be considered ...

Could Religious belief be considered to be a Mental Disorder?

There are 173 comments on the News24 story from May 9, 2013, titled Could Religious belief be considered to be a Mental Disorder?. In it, News24 reports that:

Since it is so close to Friday and everyone needs some cheering up, let's see if we can all see the humor in this one.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News24.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#124 May 16, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
We have no historical proof Jesus even existed so saying he was a good man is relative to say Luke Skywalker was a good man.
<quoted text>
What you have and what I have are two different things.
Only the narrow minded believe wisdom is in their mind alone.
I have convincing historical evidence Jesus walked the earth.
If you do not recognize it, I will lose no sleep.

Your existence on the other hand, is more questionable.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#125 May 16, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Still making excuses to hate people.
And you are still not able to read for comprehension.
Misa

Radstock, UK

#126 May 16, 2013
BeHereNow wrote:
...Your existence on the other hand, is more questionable.
Are you saying that Givemeliberty is just a sophisticated bot, or something else?

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#127 May 16, 2013
A Zen deist who defends Jesus?

Damn you lie badly.

We have no secular historical proof for Jesus.
BeHereNow wrote:
<quoted text>What you have and what I have are two different things.
Only the narrow minded believe wisdom is in their mind alone.
I have convincing historical evidence Jesus walked the earth.
If you do not recognize it, I will lose no sleep.

Your existence on the other hand, is more questionable.

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#128 May 16, 2013
BeHereNow wrote:
<quoted text>What you have and what I have are two different things.
Only the narrow minded believe wisdom is in their mind alone.
I have convincing historical evidence Jesus walked the earth.
If you do not recognize it, I will lose no sleep.

Your existence on the other hand, is more questionable.
No, you have DELUSIONS of historical evidence that Jesus existed.
If you have a credible source, then by all means, bring it forth.
Otherwise, you have nothing.

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#129 May 16, 2013
Religion would be considered a type of insanity, were it not so widespread.
Think about it.
-people "hearing the voice of a god."
-people who believe the Earth is only 6'000 years old, with no proof whatsoever
-people who believe in an all-powerful sky daddy, with no proof whatsoever
-people who believe in talking animals
-people who DISbelieve in facts such as evolution
-people who claim that they know for a fact that what they believe is right and that everyone else is wrong, while everyone else says the same exact thing

Really, what kind of psychologist would (in a world where religion hasn't been indoctrinated into everyone) think that a religious person is sane?

(By religious, I'm talking about godbots, diehard religious folk, any highly religious person, and all religiously blinded people)

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#130 May 16, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
A Zen deist who defends Jesus?
Damn you lie badly.
We have no secular historical proof for Jesus.
<quoted text>
There is no proof for anything.
Is that so hard to understand?
Are you as dense as the others?

Try to name something you can prove to me, and it will not be done.

All information is questionable, to others.
Ourselves, we accept many things as truthful, with no evidence that convinces others.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#131 May 16, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you have DELUSIONS of historical evidence that Jesus existed.
If you have a credible source, then by all means, bring it forth.
Otherwise, you have nothing.
I have nothing, you have less.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#132 May 16, 2013
Misa wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying that Givemeliberty is just a sophisticated bot, or something else?
Neither.
How can something nonexistent, be 'something else'?
Misa

Radstock, UK

#133 May 16, 2013
BeHereNow wrote:
<quoted text>There is no proof for anything.
Is that so hard to understand?
Are you as dense as the others?
Try to name something you can prove to me, and it will not be done.
All information is questionable, to others.
Ourselves, we accept many things as truthful, with no evidence that convinces others.
If you mean THAT sort of proof, rather than the every day meaning, then you're almost right, but not quite. Mathematical theorems are one class of exceptions. There are others too.

But in practical terms, it's irrelevant. You can bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow, the Earth will rotate to make the sun illuminate your half of the world (even if clouds obscure the direct light).
Misa

Radstock, UK

#134 May 16, 2013
BeHereNow wrote:
<quoted text>Neither.
How can something nonexistent, be 'something else'?
Serious question: are you a solipsist?

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#135 May 16, 2013
A retarded Zen deist who defends Jesus.... No, your lie still doesn't work even then.

Sorry you really are really bad at this.
BeHereNow wrote:
<quoted text>There is no proof for anything.
Is that so hard to understand?
Are you as dense as the others?

Try to name something you can prove to me, and it will not be done.

All information is questionable, to others.
Ourselves, we accept many things as truthful, with no evidence that convinces others.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#136 May 16, 2013
Misa wrote:
<quoted text>
If you mean THAT sort of proof, rather than the every day meaning, then you're almost right, but not quite. Mathematical theorems are one class of exceptions. There are others too.
But in practical terms, it's irrelevant. You can bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow, the Earth will rotate to make the sun illuminate your half of the world (even if clouds obscure the direct light).
'every day meaning'
Such expressions make me smile.

Whether mathematical theorem proofs are illusions, or not, is for others to decide. It mattes not to me, but I understand the doubt.
It seems you do not.

Most of us live our life, and are satisfied with evidence that convinces our mind.

I once said that as I rounded a blind curve on my two wheels I had absolutely certainty the road would still be under my wheels on the other side.
He replied that I was more trusting than he was, as he was not so sure.
As for your sunrise, he would say the same.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#137 May 16, 2013
Misa wrote:
<quoted text>
Serious question: are you a solipsist?
Archer, arrow, bow, target, are one.
Archer does not exist without the arrow, bow, target.
Misa

Radstock, UK

#138 May 16, 2013
BeHereNow wrote:
<quoted text>'every day meaning'
Such expressions make me smile.
Whether mathematical theorem proofs are illusions, or not, is for others to decide. It mattes not to me, but I understand the doubt.
It seems you do not.
Most of us live our life, and are satisfied with evidence that convinces our mind.
I once said that as I rounded a blind curve on my two wheels I had absolutely certainty the road would still be under my wheels on the other side.
He replied that I was more trusting than he was, as he was not so sure.
As for your sunrise, he would say the same.
Mathematical theorems can be known a priori, even if you are a solipsist.

As for whether the sun will rise: Of course, there is a small probability that it will not. So what? There is also a small chance that as I sip my water, it will turn into poison. Should I discard it? No.
Misa

Radstock, UK

#139 May 16, 2013
BeHereNow wrote:
<quoted text>Archer, arrow, bow, target, are one.
Archer does not exist without the arrow, bow, target.
Such platitudes convey no useful information.

“Better Dead than red!”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#140 May 16, 2013
Could libtard ism ??

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#141 May 16, 2013
BeHereNow wrote:
<quoted text>Hate? Well not for you certainly.
Jesus was a good man.
Really? He was kind of a dick to women, though.

More to the point? He was a communist (little-C), and advocating selling everything, to go live in a commune of like-minded people.

He also advocated NOT owning anything-- clearly, YOU violate that one all the time.

Making you just another hypocrite.

What else is new?
BeHereNow wrote:
Taught us to love the sinner, hate the sin.
But. Who gets to define what is "sin"?

You? Your bible?

According to your bible? You should NEVER-EVER work on Saturday (sabbath). Or be put to death by your fellow cultists.

So clearly, you have ignored your bible.

That leaves... what? YOU and YOU ALONE?

Megalomaniac, much?
BeHereNow wrote:
That’s my relationship with you (without the sin). Love the dummy, hate the stupidity.
You just sinned-- twice: dishonesty and judging.

Time to REPENT.
BeHereNow wrote:
I’m sure you’ve been called worse than butthole.
Of course! You didn't hurt me at all-- but I did enjoy pointing out what a HYPOCRITE you are.

<laughing>

You hypocrites are so quick to judge, too...!(another sin)
BeHereNow wrote:
Nothing against you, just your ignorance that is so irritating.
More sinning by YOU. In this case, a lie.
BeHereNow wrote:
I have some friends who believe in prayer. I’ll have them pray for you.
You do that-- don't forget to slaughter a goat, first.

Or are you one of those IGNORE THE BIBLE types, and you resort to heretical spell-casting (prayers)?
BeHereNow wrote:
Jesus would like that.
He'd have slaughtered a goat-- so, no-- I doubt that very much.

But he's dead, so it hardly matters does it?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#142 May 16, 2013
BeHereNow wrote:
More later.
Your threats are not fearsome.

Fail.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#143 May 16, 2013
BeHereNow wrote:
I have convincing historical evidence Jesus walked the earth.
Only a Genuine Christhole™ would make such an unprovable claim.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Aura Mytha 32,425
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 11 hr Science 78,466
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 11 hr Eagle 12 - 1,310
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... Aug 12 Eagle 12 - 1,152
what science will NEVER be able to prove Aug 11 Eagle 12 - 5
News What Ever Happened to the New Atheists?by Ellio... Aug 7 nanoanomaly 1
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) Aug 5 yehoshooah adam 4,381
More from around the web